Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Well, three weeks after buying it, it's time to start Resident Evil 4 VR! Some random comments

I noticed not only you can skip the cutscenes, you also can pause them and even toggle subs. Well done.

In general, the graphics show that, while it's far away from a modern pc or console game, the no. 1 thing limiting VR games until now isn't the mobile chip, but budget. Compare this to Lies Beneath or Jurassic Park , etc Your average VR game budget is still smaller an AAA game from 20 years ago. Which is kind of funny, in a sad way, showing how far away we are of what people want, current AAA games in VR (which are of course much more expensive than 20 years ago).

I praised before the options and customization in the game, but still, I wish there was even more. I want to tune the strafe speed, slow it down a bit (I can toggle it off in the game). I don't know why some many VR games still maintain the same ridiculous side strafe speeds of 2d games.

Doing roundhouse kicks is so satisfying, the 'camera cut' doesn't bother me. I think the key is the meaty and unique (even if totally unrealistic) sound fx!

On the other hand the switch to normal 2d cutscenes after being immersed for a while in VR can be jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Don't want to turn this into a referral thread, but I'd anyone wants a quest referral pm me.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

The $60 referral credit goes back to $30 after Monday, so now is the time to use one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Has anyone done anything interesting with the unlocked oculus go firmware yet?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The Index headset uses Bluetooth for the controllers, right? Is it possible to pair other devices as well?

I have it in my mind to make a device but the PC I run VR on doesn’t itself have Bluetooth and it’d be nice to piggyback off the Index if possible.

Alternately, I guess, does the USB port in the frunk only provide power or is it fully connected?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They use a custom 2.4Ghz protocol, not bluetooth.

The USB port has it's data lines connected, you can connect anything you want to it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, okay. I guess the frunk will work for simpler prototyping purposes, anyhow.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm glad my intuition of 'making a traditional painting app in VR will be cool' was right, given that they are already three apps with the same idea
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/3106117596158066/?locale=en_GB
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/4376948672333371/?locale=en_GB
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/4197432713706924/

Now, I wonder which one will go beyond the normal features and actually put a proper interactive painting course (that recognize what you are doing, etc, not a yt video) inside it. I guess that needs more money, hire someone to write the lessons, doing voiceovers, implementing everything...

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
Picked up RC Rush on Steam at the weekend

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1654800/RC_Rush/

and I've been really enjoying it. It's a racing game with remote controlled trucks; you get to race them round a generous selection of courses. Single or multiplayer although I haven't tried the latter yet ( reviewers on steam seem to indicate that it's a hoot though). When I've played RC-style games before I've sometimes found them a bit twitchy and difficult to control (as I imagine the real thing must be until you get good at it). Here they've managed to make the game super accessible with a very well designed assist mode which lets you start playing and racing pretty much immediately whilst still letting you feel like you're actually in control and not just operating a glorified Scalextric. Of course the option is there to turn that off as genuine skills develop.

Jolly good fun. Definitely OX APPROVED.

Looks like a new Walkabout Mini Golf course is imminent (and if any of the new-to-VR people ITT haven't got that, go buy it now, it is absolutely lovely and brilliant fun to play with your mates). Looks like they are adding better avatars than just your usual floating shades and sun visor!

https://twitter.com/WalkaboutMG/status/1467207077219160068

I want a horned golf hat!

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Is there a way to make the Quest not pay attention to floor alignment? Like say I want to play Tetris Effect laying back. I can actually drag around the viewport the way I would like a video player, so how do I get it to stay in the center of my vision while reclining?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

smenj posted:

Hi all, having a bit of an issue trying to get into HL: Alyx on my Quest 2. Don't recall having this issue when I first tried playing a few months ago, but I haven't really changed anything, so I'm not sure what's going on.

I've got Virtual Desktop, but the latency unfortunately makes games unplayable for me - though it'll be useful to have I'm sure if I ever move to a house where a proper setup for it would be viable. Same trouble with Air Link. So I'm instead trying to play HL Alyx using a link cable.

If I start the game using Virtual Desktop, all is well aside from the latency. If I start the game using a link cable, I get a low GPU memory warning, and after 10-15m or so the game starts stuttering etc. and I have to quit. The settings aren't on anything absurd either. I'm guessing the Oculus app just uses an inordinate amount of GPU memory while streaming, though I'm not sure how to reduce it substantially. I've got a decent PC - 3060Ti and a 3600X - so although I've got 8GB GPU memory rather than absolutely tons of it, it should still be more than enough for most VR games. Anything I can do?

The Low GPU memory warning is common in HL:Alyx regardless of what your GPU is and how much memory it actually has. It's a common error that's pretty safe to ignore.

But it's also easy to get stuttering in, or notice it. I always use HL:Alyx as a sort of testing game because of that (I just spin in circles and look for stuttering, if I see any I know I gotta fix something.)
First thing I do, run (Whatever Drive):\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusDebugTool.exe and set Visible HUD to performance, then jump in VR and get to wherever you're getting stuttering. See if you can find out where it's at, if it's the game dropping frames or if it's the compositor. Or, if it's not anything on the computer dropping frames at all.

For me (and you have a better GPU than me I think, I have a 2070s), texture quality has to be turned down. And I've heard from other people that this is true on the Quest, and that a part of it is the encoder having issues with higher quality textures in Alyx. I just know that that is one setting that if turned up, I get worse performance than I would expect and it always leads to stuttering.

Then there's a bunch of other stuff you can probably try, make sure steamvr and oculus SS are at sane levels, disabling dynamic resolution by adding -console -vconsole +vr_fidelity_level_auto 0 +vr_fidelity_level 3 to HL:Alyx's launch options (which might be why you're not getting stuttering until you're in game for a while), raising the priority of the compositor and HL, normal computer stuff like making sure you're not hitting thermal throttling on anything and you're using the right power plan.

And, if it doesn't show up in Oculus Debug tool, as unrelated as this sounds it's the most consistent thing for me and a lot of people, delete the guardian data in the quest and redo it. It's bugged. I can be getting stuttering with no compositor or game frame drops, jump out of it, do this, jump back in the game and stuttering is gone without even restarting the game.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Well, I've spent the majority of the weekend playing on both the Reverb G2 and the Quest 2 comparing and contrasting. I think I'm going to send the G2 back. If you love tweaking, then the G2 might be for you because I have to jump through hoops for some games (Half Life: Alyx to name one) to get them playable in SteamVR. With Oculus Quest 2, it just goes and works and the only tweaking I've done is through the Debug Tool to increase the stream quality to reduce the compression to an acceptable level with Air/Wired Link.

Clarity appears to be still a problem with the G2. In the sweet spot, sure it's fine and totally crisp. Outside of it? Not so much. Like for example, I could look at a hand of cards in Demeo and have no trouble with reading them in the Quest 2, but the G2, it's blurred just enough that I have to move my head to get each card into the sweet spot to read comfortably. The problem is that sweet spot just feels small in comparison and visuals degrade quickly outside of it.

The controllers, as expected, are not great. Granted I didn't have much tracking issues I recall people complained about at the launch of the device. So seems like the revision has this mostly fixed. The problem however is that they just eat up battery life. The batteries that were included with the HMD are pretty much dead at this point. After like 2-3 days of usage. The batteries in the Quest 2 are still going strong and I got the headset on Saturday right after Black Friday and have been playing it off and on waiting for the G2 to show up which was last Thursday. Bindings are a semi-problem, out of the box some games just don't work right, but thanks to Steam community bindings, you can just grab someone else's who did the work and you're back in business. Obviously not a concern if you intend to use it for sim use only.

G2 does have a couple things right, namely the headband and speakers. It is comfortable to wear for hours at a time and in fact did do that playing Trover Saves the Universe which was probably my most positive experience with the G2. The cloth material does feel nice and is far and away better than my old Quest 1's foam material which I found irritating. Can't say I tried it on the Quest 2 as I immediately applied the silicone cover it came with which is totally fine. The speakers sound pretty good and can get pretty loud. It's just nice not having them sit on your ears like headphones would. Quest 2's headband is....fine. It's somehow better than the Quest 1's which always slipped. Guess I'll blow the 50 dollar Amazon credit I got from the Black Friday promo to get something to improve that.

The WMR stuff I mostly ignored because after a couple Windows updates, I got the option to have it load into SteamVR directly after the HMD was turned on, so I barely touched it outside of messing with settings.

I can at least say I bought it at Black Friday pricing, otherwise 600 dollars retail is wholly unacceptable for such a middling experience.

Edit: Forgot about boundary stuff. Not great. The process itself is super awkward. Quest 2 easily outmatches it in that regard. For seated and standing play it’s fine, but no Guardian like action in that mode, just warning to not move… :shepface: I needed to use the fpsVR market overlay to make sure I didn’t stray when I was looking around.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 6, 2021

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Chin Strap posted:

Is there a way to make the Quest not pay attention to floor alignment? Like say I want to play Tetris Effect laying back. I can actually drag around the viewport the way I would like a video player, so how do I get it to stay in the center of my vision while reclining?

you turn off head tracking to do this

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Thanks to everyone who recommended Walkabout. I never thought I would have such a fun chill time playing mini-golf online with randos. I’m going to buy it for my nephew for his birthday this week so we can play together.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Edit: Forgot about boundary stuff. Not great. The process itself is super awkward. Quest 2 easily outmatches it in that regard. For seated and standing play it’s fine, but no Guardian like action in that mode, just warning to not move… :shepface: I needed to use the fpsVR market overlay to make sure I didn’t stray when I was looking around.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you saying the boundary doesn't pop up when you are playing, because it works fine with my g2 and my old odyssey plus.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

GutBomb posted:

I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you saying the boundary doesn't pop up when you are playing, because it works fine with my g2 and my old odyssey plus.

It doesn’t appear while in standing mode like I’m accustomed to in the Quest. Roomscale I haven’t been able to try since my space is smaller than the boundary maker will allow me to.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Brocktoon posted:

Thanks to everyone who recommended Walkabout. I never thought I would have such a fun chill time playing mini-golf online with randos. I’m going to buy it for my nephew for his birthday this week so we can play together.

My friends and I use it honestly more as a chat room to shoot the poo poo while playing some golf, it's seriously so good.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Brocktoon posted:

I play it with my friend that lives in the UK and it’s such a fun “hang out” type experience.

Say what you will about Zuck’s meta stuff but it was a blast and I really feel like he was there with me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

RE4VR is just a drat delight. I never played it before but watched the SBFP lp so I know what to expect, and it's just so awesome how well it translates into VR. As someone mentioned before it's an outstanding port of an all time classic which certainly helps but man that's some good stuff.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

OK, yeah Walkabout is pretty cool. Plays pretty well and a senior from Colorado was walking me through the courses and game modes and how to unlock the hard courses. :allears:

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

stinky ox posted:

Looks like a new Walkabout Mini Golf course is imminent (and if any of the new-to-VR people ITT haven't got that, go buy it now, it is absolutely lovely and brilliant fun to play with your mates). Looks like they are adding better avatars than just your usual floating shades and sun visor!

https://twitter.com/WalkaboutMG/status/1467207077219160068

I want a horned golf hat!

ANOTHER Skyrim release? 🙄

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

forest spirit posted:

What's the scariest horror world everyone has been to?

And I have to get around to making my own player model like that other poster itt

For a friend and I, it was probably 学校の怪談~Ghost stories~ and not the least because the language barrier made it impossible to know what would actually happen. The act of playing the world was pretty simple but not knowing if we'd be chased or if things would pop up or if there was even anything scary at all was weirdly intense.

On the topic of VR Chat, Vket has just begun too. I haven't visited this one yet but seeing the intensely elaborate ads for mundane stuff like coffee and Disney is always funny.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 6, 2021

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wheezle posted:

ANOTHER Skyrim release? 🙄

FUS RO PAR

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I got a VRChat question. I played like a year ago and found this world where there was a big mirror and a button that would change your skin to something random, just a ton of different things and people hitting the button and laughing at the nonsense they got. I tried playing tonight and couldn't find that world again. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Does it still exist, and if so how do I find it again?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm glad my intuition of 'making a traditional painting app in VR will be cool' was right, given that they are already three apps with the same idea
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/3106117596158066/?locale=en_GB
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/4376948672333371/?locale=en_GB
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/4197432713706924/

Now, I wonder which one will go beyond the normal features and actually put a proper interactive painting course (that recognize what you are doing, etc, not a yt video) inside it. I guess that needs more money, hire someone to write the lessons, doing voiceovers, implementing everything...

I really enjoyed Vermillion. PaintingVR on the other hand I found to be a pain in the rear end more than anything. The more I tried to do stuff the more I was frustrated by the clunky parts.

When I tried Vermillion I was like "yeah THIS is what it's supposed to be like, everybody take notes."

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

You can disable head tracking?

This look nice. Well, in the figurative sense, it looks suitably creepy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fs2XOoa3es

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Have anyone played Deisim? How is it?

I read it will increase price soon.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Regarding VR Chat, does anyone know the name of a world that's a bar with a sofa, a youtube screen and the walls are these immense visualisations? Couldn't find it looking through the worlds last time I checked :(

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
i dunno but the ball pit world is pretty loving cool and has a youtube screen

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Cool Dad posted:

I got a VRChat question. I played like a year ago and found this world where there was a big mirror and a button that would change your skin to something random, just a ton of different things and people hitting the button and laughing at the nonsense they got. I tried playing tonight and couldn't find that world again. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Does it still exist, and if so how do I find it again?

I know the one but unfortunately I think that world has been deleted. :(

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Tried it and Tetris Effect is marked as tracking required so it won't let me load it like that. Oh well.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Probably should've asked around Black Friday but can anyone recommend a good wireless modem/router for Quest 2 Virtual Desktop play? I'm in a position where I can afford an upgrade but would obviously prefer a good deal if there's one to be had.

e: On that note, anyone care to recommend some rechargeable AA batteries for the controllers as well? Would be prudent to have a couple pairs to swap between while the other is charging.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 6, 2021

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Diephoon posted:

Probably should've asked around Black Friday but can anyone recommend a good wireless modem/router for Quest 2 Virtual Desktop play? I'm in a position where I can afford an upgrade but would obviously prefer a good deal if there's one to be had.

e: On that note, anyone care to recommend some rechargeable AA batteries for the controllers as well? Would be prudent to have a couple pairs to swap between while the other is charging.

I bought my Quest 2 last Christmas, I use it every week although not every day, and I've only just changed my left controller battery for the first time (my main games are table tennis and golf so I changed the right battery a few months back). Those controller batteries last forever!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Desdinova posted:

Regarding VR Chat, does anyone know the name of a world that's a bar with a sofa, a youtube screen and the walls are these immense visualisations? Couldn't find it looking through the worlds last time I checked :(

If the visualizations were reacting to the video rather than a generic thing, you MIGHT get lucky by searching for Audiolink in the World menu's search bar. It's a plugin that reacts with certain shaders.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

GTO posted:

I bought my Quest 2 last Christmas, I use it every week although not every day, and I've only just changed my left controller battery for the first time (my main games are table tennis and golf so I changed the right battery a few months back). Those controller batteries last forever!

The original Quest controller batteries lasted under a week, those were truly painful. The battery life in the controllers was a huge reason for me upgrading to the Q2.

pineapple3k
Feb 12, 2014
Is it worth buying the Kiwi Battery strap (27$) for the DAS or would some velcro straps work just as well?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

pineapple3k posted:

Is it worth buying the Kiwi Battery strap (27$) for the DAS or would some velcro straps work just as well?

not worth it, I combine adhesive velcro and resusable zip ties for a really nice battery attachment system to my DAS. theres a nice big surface right on the back strap you can adhere the velcro to.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Turin Turambar posted:

Have anyone played Deisim? How is it?

I read it will increase price soon.

Haven’t played for a long while, but it’s core hook seems to be the super chill way you 'plant' biomes by flinging them down. Like you’re scattering a biome seed onto your chosen square. It’s very relaxing to build out the map like that. (And fun to fling the odd heretic off the map too).

It never seemed super deep, or challenging, whenever I dropped back in. Make sure there’s food, flick away incursions, perform the odd appropriate curing (or smiting) miracle. More like god as gardener than anything.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is Espire 1 worth 10bux and my time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Is Espire 1 worth 10bux and my time?

I played a few hours and it was fairly interesting, if janky, but not amazing compared to several other VR action games. I'd get it, even on sale, only after beating better games like Boneworks, Into the Radius, etc.