Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

so is new york the least car brained major city in the US? i know it's still very auto centric but it still seems worlds better than anywhere else. i think im close to talking my wife into moving lol, gotta get away from all these drat cars!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Lol at crashing into a stationary vehicle lit up like a Christmas tree, just a total lack of ability to perceive distance and speed

people are orders of magnitude less capable of judging things like speed and distance in low light b/c our eyes and brains aren’t built for the task so the fact that we allow night driving at all is pretty psychotic. absent a speedometer people will happily accelerate into the triple digits thinking they’re safely within the speed limit right up until they carom into a traffic jam

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
It's a cop that's recording, right? What a complete failure to control traffic if so.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Cat Puke posted:

It's a cop that's recording, right? What a complete failure to control traffic if so.

Looks like some Nightcrawler stuff based on the channel name. Maybe they sell the footage. I know there's big channels that collect dashcam crashes for huge view counts and ad revenue.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Clearly, building our roads to discourage excess speeds would work just on its own. We can absolutely trust the person behind the wheel to make the right judgement of road conditions and go a sane speed that is exactly the same as everyone else, with no cultural change to the mentality under which drivers operate!

Cat Puke posted:

Photojournalist. First comment explains it and also calls out they were spotlighting the obstruction. Zero way anyone paying attention wouldn't see it.

If you must drive, please keep a reflective vest, triangles, and flares in your vehicle for just this kind of bullshit.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

so is new york the least car brained major city in the US? i know it's still very auto centric but it still seems worlds better than anywhere else. i think im close to talking my wife into moving lol, gotta get away from all these drat cars!!!!

i can't answer the question but you definitely need to get the hell out of houston!! do it!! :woop:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

lobster shirt posted:

https://www.walkscore.com/cities-and-neighborhoods/

NYC at the top.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

nomad2020 posted:

I was searching for a multi-car accident news story to see if anyone died before I posted it here. Used the terms Multi-Car pileup LA and lol there's just so many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9yqXzZ16ns
Linked because of the unknown status of a few people.

The thread might appreciate this one out of the too many pileups to sort through.

im the guy that zooms to 100 mph angry that someone slowed down to 50 and loses control on a straight flat road and rams into a wall for no apparent reason

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

Clearly, building our roads to discourage excess speeds would work just on its own.

are you arguing against traffic shaping? it works better than speed limits because most people in general don't want to trash their car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bglWCuCMSWc

thats not an argument against speed limits, those should exist too obviously

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Lol at crashing into a stationary vehicle lit up like a Christmas tree, just a total lack of ability to perceive distance and speed

The human brain just wasn't built for those speeds

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

mila kunis posted:

are you arguing against traffic shaping? it works better than speed limits because most people in general don't want to trash their car
I'm 100% in favor of physical infrastructure to shape traffic. I just often see it trotted forth as a panacea, rather than one vital component in a broader campaign. In the example of the crash video, much of the cause comes from a fundamentally broken driving culture, where distracted and sociopathic driving is often the norm. While infrastructure can mitigate that, I don't think it can achieve its full effect so long as an effort to change mindset doesn't accompany it.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

lobster shirt posted:

It's probably the US city where you need a car the least (Chicago being a close second), and there's a lot of bike infrastructure, but there are still a shitload of cars and the bike infrastructure is still bad

Like lots of people I had a car when I moved here: but I totaled it almost immediately and never replaced it. Been here 15 years without a car and there are very few circumstances where I need one... Maybe once or twice a year... But renting a car for a few days a year is insanely cheaper and less stressful than owning a car full time

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 01:26 on Dec 6, 2021

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

mila kunis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bglWCuCMSWc

thats not an argument against speed limits, those should exist too obviously
I don't know that guy makes lots of good points but I think it's really loving dumb to just give up on getting people to pay attention while driving their car. How do you not know how fast your car is going? How hard is it to pay attention for 5 minutes as you're approaching a town on a rural highway? Guess only race car drivers can do that. I like that dude's videos but holy poo poo, lol.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would put DC and probably Boston and Portland above Chicago. To be honest, the L is mostly good for going to and from the loop but it doesn’t really work well as a comprehensive system. Metra has a lot of trackage but again is simply commuter focused.

Bart also mostly the same problem and the Bay Area is just really awkward and Balkanized as far transit goes.

(It doesn’t help that public transportation hasn’t really gone any where in the last decade while the rest of the world has moved on.)

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Wolfy posted:

I don't know that guy makes lots of good points but I think it's really loving dumb to just give up on getting people to pay attention while driving their car. How do you not know how fast your car is going? How hard is it to pay attention for 5 minutes as you're approaching a town on a rural highway? Guess only race car drivers can do that. I like that dude's videos but holy poo poo, lol.

the point isn't that its hard to slow down, its that a bunch of drives "don't care" and will go fast. its better to have physical infrastructure so that assholes are forced to slow down

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
just because one tactic is effective doesn't mean less effective tactics should never be considered. And also let's really be honest with ourselves about one thing: designing safer roads and having speed limits as a tactic to controlling cars isjust loving around compared to actually removing cars from places where people traverse and live. Even with the safest streets youre still causing deaths by smog inhalation

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Wolfy posted:

As this thread has exhaustively pointed out, you CANNOT trust people in the aggregate to not do the dumbest poo poo possible in their car at all times. You have to raise the requirement to have a license high enough to exclude people from driving (basically impossible to do) or you need to design infrastructure to reduce harm as much as possible. A sign that has a maximum safe speed isn't going to help with the retard that make the speed-limit necessary in the first place.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

As this thread has exhaustively pointed out, you CANNOT trust people in the aggregate to not do the dumbest poo poo possible in their car at all times. You have to raise the requirement to have a license high enough to exclude people from driving (basically impossible to do) or you need to design infrastructure to reduce harm as much as possible. A sign that has a maximum safe speed isn't going to help with the retard that make the speed-limit necessary in the first place.
Then maybe we shouldn't be trusted with cars lmao

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Wolfy posted:

Then maybe we shouldn't be trusted with cars lmao

you were trusting people with cars? what the gently caress is wrong with you

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Got stuck watching 'Home Alone' and what a loving condemnation of the Suburban car culture, that movie is.

It's amazing how isolated the kid is in that movie

The telephone line goes down, but because they are far out, and they can't get the phone repaired.
The kid is alone in a cul-de-sac. The 3 other neighbors are also gone?

The kid has no friends at all.
Doesn't the kid have a school? Or teachers?
The kid goes into the "small town" but there is no meaningful connection with anybody there, and nobody knows who he is.

They send the police, and they are not helpful what so ever.

It's insane to see this movie now, understanding how weird the culture around that movie is.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 04:35 on Dec 6, 2021

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

This is a common response that gets posted in reply to just about any car in bike lane video, but have you actually done it?... Anyone who rides a bike a lot knows that a driver will fuckin kill you if you so much as touch their car with your pinky, and then literally everyone will take the driver's side except for a handful of Twitter urbanists and cyclists

I've always wondered if you could toss/spit a couple of broken fish oil capsules on the car air intake cowling at the bottom of the windshield to give them a long lasting treat as they oxidize and go rancid :thunk:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Got stuck watching 'Home Alone' and what a loving condemnation of the Suburban car culture, that movie is.

It's amazing how isolated the kid is in that movie

The telephone line goes down, but because they are far out, and they can't get the phone repaired.
The kid is alone in a cul-de-sac. The 3 other neighbors are also gone?

The kid has no friends at all.
Doesn't the kid have a school? Or teachers?
The kid goes into the "small town" but there is no meaningful connection with anybody there, and nobody knows who he is.

They send the police, and they are not helpful what so ever.

It's insane to see this movie now, understanding how weird the culture around that movie is.

The sequel takes place in one of the densest zip codes in the country, though. I think it might just be fiction.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

joe pesci’s character is general motors

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

If you're over the age of ~21 and have a fart can on your car we should legally be required to punch you in the face.

This concludes my rant.

E: Flowmasters are also fart cans, I don't care that they overcharged you for it.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

ikanreed posted:

The sequel takes place in one of the densest zip codes in the country, though. I think it might just be fiction.

The second film exaggerate the first film's need for the main character to be isolated.
But in the first film, his isolation is believable, because that is how the world could be;
before the advent of the internet and cellphones, but after the destruction of small communities, and walk-able cities.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

car bad

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

train good

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

in cool pedestrian news from houston, a police officer killed a guy on a sidewalk during a chase. let's see what happened

quote:

During a press conference, officials said it all started after they received a call about a robbery where a woman said five men stole her truck before holding her at gunpoint. The woman was able to get the tracking information for her truck and shared that with the police. .

okay so the truck has a tracker in it, what should we do? better initiate a high speed chase!

quote:

One of the officers driving to assist with the chase, authorities said, lost control of their vehicle at some point and went off the roadway. As a result, the officers crashed their patrol car into the sidewalk and managed to roll out safely. However, that's where the officers found an unidentified male pedestrian, unresponsive.

this is great passive phrasing here. the officers lost control of their car, and the car went off the roadway and crashed. then, they found an unresponsive pedestrian, who died.

anyway im sure it was all worth it to recover a stolen truck, lets all pray for the brave and skilled officers who killed a guy for no reason

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

in cool pedestrian news from houston, a police officer killed a guy on a sidewalk during a chase. let's see what happened

okay so the truck has a tracker in it, what should we do? better initiate a high speed chase!

this is great passive phrasing here. the officers lost control of their car, and the car went off the roadway and crashed. then, they found an unresponsive pedestrian, who died.

anyway im sure it was all worth it to recover a stolen truck, lets all pray for the brave and skilled officers who killed a guy for no reason

The pedestrian saw Our Boys In Blue leap into action to rescue a truck and died of happiness, secure in the knowledge that he would never again behold something so grand.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
Managed to roll out safely? What kind of dumbass toddler storytelling is this journalist willing to believe?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Let's keep some perspective here, that truck was easily worth $75k before we chased it down.

quote:

Officials say the suspects actually left their car behind, and it flipped over and injured one of the responding officers. He suffered minor injuries but will still seek medical assistance.

Timeline of events:
1. Suspect flees on foot.
2. Officer approaches truck.
3. Truck flips over in epic defensive maneuver.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

lobster shirt posted:

Lmao US journalism is so insane

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
probably some sinclaire piece of poo poo station but yeah they are nearly all bootlickers because petite bougie attitudes. Car chases are so unbelievably dumb but so are cars so there you go

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Car chases are so dumb that LA, the most car brained city on the planet, eventually realized it is much safer to just follow them with a helicopter

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Texas is even dumber than LA though

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/maxinejoselow/status/1467851338063224839?s=20

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

this is all because of a popularity contest

gently caress off biden

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

From the phrasing it sounds like he wasn't involved in the chase yet, just driving there.

Anyway, thanks to the magic of felony murder it's probably the original car jackers who are up for the pedestrian who mysteriously died in the vicinity of a cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/PulpLibrarian/status/1467955846621638658