Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I had an Ahab where the feed absolutely spewed ink to the point that essentially the entire thing was soaked in ink all the time. If the feed itself touched the page it would ruin what I was writing. Is that the problem you're having?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

New pen day! I love hooded nibs and saw that the Sheaffer Icon is finally getting in stock where I am, so I bit the bullet with the green version. First impressions: This nib is great! Incredibly smooth writer with very little feedback; feels like writing on glass. Have it loaded up with some Kobe Green Tea ink and it handles the flow well with no skips or hard starts. Well worth the price, I'd say.

Of course, I had to pair it with my green crab:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Heath posted:

I had an Ahab where the feed absolutely spewed ink to the point that essentially the entire thing was soaked in ink all the time. If the feed itself touched the page it would ruin what I was writing. Is that the problem you're having?

Not quite. More there's notable gaps between the inside of the grip and the nib/feed.

In the past I've managed to adjust the depth of the feed to affect how well it could write but it would inevitably burp either when writing or into the cap. Even the absolute best I've gotten it to work still resulted in it dumping the entire reservoir into the cap after writing fine.

Edit: Even my best result is just a delayed burp. The gap between the edge of the side of the nib and the feed just causes a large droplet to form over time even when I can get the pen to start writing without dumping the entire reservoir at once.

Argas fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 1, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Me: I think I'm done with Visconti pens.
Also me: Holy gently caress, Johnathan Brooks resin!?! :stwoon:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

howe_sam posted:

That Nova Blue :sparkles:

Still too rich for my blood, but boy howdy are those pretty.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

howe_sam posted:

$995.00 Sale price vs $796.00 Save $199.00

I'd be a fool if I don't take advantage of this discount :v:

Eh, I thought a huge aspect of Visconti is the rare/cool materials?

FWIW: I do have a Brooks pen but it was actually affordable.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

So I'm experimenting now to see what sort of poo poo just fucks up my konrad. I filled it with water and had the feed in enough that there's virtually no flow but after I capped it and left it nib down, it dumped all the water into the cap. If it just cannot help but dump the whole load from capping/uncapping I cannot imagine I could tweak it to ever not leak at least a bit.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I got a Platinum Prefounte in the mail because people recommended it as a contender to the Metro, and I hate it.

That's with the stock ink out of the box. I guess I'll try cleaning it out tonight but it's a piece of junk to me right now. I think this is the worst new pen experiences I've gotten so far.

Edit: Well poo poo, I read online that some people had luck shaking it and that did the trick, ink is flowing now. There is a steel ball inside the stock cartridge that agitates the ink around and I guess that was needed.

Bank fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 2, 2021

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
My TWSBI VAC700 has been everything I could have wished for, although the ink doesn't sit in it in quite as attractive a way as it did in the ECO, for whatever reason.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah Platinum ink carts benefit from a good shake every so often.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Inkvent Day 2.

Nice, with relatively subtle shimmer & sheen effects.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I bought a very, VERY sparkly Delta. I'm so excited.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Speaking of Delta this week's Goulet podcast mentioned that they're coming back.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rip Grack.

Also, I need to get a fude nib, they look so cool.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Here's day 3 of Inkvent.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

howe_sam posted:

Speaking of Delta this week's Goulet podcast mentioned that they're coming back.

This came out a few days ago. Nino Marino (Delta co-founder) is using the financial and productive assets of Maiora to relaunch the brand.

Hopefully prices are reasonable.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

I got me some inks recently and posting here to say that Diamine Honey Burst is a poo poo ink and nobody should buy it. Shading is yum but color is much lighter than advertised and it writes as dry as a Scotsman's throat. Do not buy. Still looking for a golden brown yellow that writes as smooth as I am used to from darker inks. Gonna try Iroshizuku yu-yake in a few days but I am open to recommendations.

Iroshizuku yama-budo and Diamine Writers Blood are decent writers and good colors in it's own right.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Is there a general thread opinion on Caran d’Ache inks, specifically the Chromatics line?

I’ve tried two different colors and while they both look amazing they seem to smudge real easy. I happened to put my hand on something I wrote that’d been drying for a full 2-3 minutes and it was smudged to the point of unreadability.

I’m using 90g Rhodia paper, if that matters.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Comrade Koba posted:

Is there a general thread opinion on Caran d’Ache inks, specifically the Chromatics line?

I’ve tried two different colors and while they both look amazing they seem to smudge real easy. I happened to put my hand on something I wrote that’d been drying for a full 2-3 minutes and it was smudged to the point of unreadability.

I’m using 90g Rhodia paper, if that matters.

C'dA inks have cool bottles but are really expensive v:v:v

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I want a bottle of Writer's Blood for the name alone.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Keetron posted:

I got me some inks recently and posting here to say that Diamine Honey Burst is a poo poo ink and nobody should buy it. Shading is yum but color is much lighter than advertised and it writes as dry as a Scotsman's throat. Do not buy. Still looking for a golden brown yellow that writes as smooth as I am used to from darker inks. Gonna try Iroshizuku yu-yake in a few days but I am open to recommendations.

Iroshizuku yama-budo and Diamine Writers Blood are decent writers and good colors in it's own right.

Sailor Maryland or 873 would be right up your alley, I think. Very good flow and really wonderful shading. Maybe Nagasawa Kobe #21 as well, but it'll be more expensive than the other two and is more on the yellow side.

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

Keetron posted:

2 parts iroshizuku daikokuten and 1 part monteverde copper noir :horse:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I can't offer a brown yellow but I can offer day 4 of Inkvent.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Chip McFuck posted:

Sailor Maryland or 873 would be right up your alley, I think. Very good flow and really wonderful shading. Maybe Nagasawa Kobe #21 as well, but it'll be more expensive than the other two and is more on the yellow side.

Sailor Maryland looks like what I am looking for, hoping it is smooth and to find a (more or less) local place that carries it.
If nothing else, I can send samples to Mountain Of Ink as they don't have a review yet. Which reminds me of something I have been neglecting (sorry Chip).

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

In today's inkvent, a video game ink.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Anyone have any experience with Conklin pens? I was looking at this pen but noticed some of their pens had mixed reviews on jetpens and was wondering if there was something going on.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

I've got two Conklins - a Duragraph and a Crescent Filler - and I enjoy them both. They both write well and haven't had any problems; just good workhorses. Conklin uses Jowo nibs in their pens so the nibs will be pretty good right out the gate, though their omniflex nib has some issues according to reviews.

The only thing I don't like about the pens is purely aesthetic. For some reason they decided the engraving on the cap bands should be a different finish than the rest, which looks a little off and makes it look a little cheap to me. Thats just my preference, though, so take that as you will.

I don't have any experience with their anodized or metal finished pens, but Figboot has a review of a Duragraph with the same rainbow treatment: https://youtu.be/vOFzikzv4ac. You can probably extrapolate a lot of that review onto the All American.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

unzealous posted:

Anyone have any experience with Conklin pens? I was looking at this pen but noticed some of their pens had mixed reviews on jetpens and was wondering if there was something going on.

It looks amazing! It also looks rather heavy. If that pen is your jive, check out: https://www.gravitaspens.com/shop/skittle-finish

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Really enjoying tonight's ink. I'll let gschmidl do the usual.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Wasn't easy to get it to sparkle in the photo.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Why does this phone hate low light so?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Looks like Noodler's Golden Brown.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

gschmidl posted:

Why does this phone hate low light so?

I think this one is my favorite so far. Feels like a warm glow :)

My lovely wife gave me my Christmas present early this year and I'm ecstatic. Leonardo MZ Grande Pura in the blue acrylic.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Chip McFuck posted:

My lovely wife gave me my Christmas present early this year and I'm ecstatic. Leonardo MZ Grande Pura in the blue acrylic.

Agreed about the ink. Your image is not embedding for me so I re-hosted it just in case. It's really nice.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Chip McFuck posted:

What up blue/gold Pura buddy :hfive:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

What're those little crabs from?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Argas posted:

What're those little crabs from?

You can get them on AliExpress or possibly Amazon.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001607680381.html

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Goldspot and a few other pen retailers sell them as well.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

howe_sam posted:

Goldspot and a few other pen retailers sell them as well.

I have a feeling they get them in bulk from AliExpress as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

This one is unusual.