Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

muscles like this! posted:

What do you mean I'm not allowed to swear at the nurses? I thought this was America?

sounds like st lukes is loving incompetent and frankly i dont blame this woman for being pissed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There's very even money it's both. Odds are very high she was doing herself no favors from the word "go" and that had a rolling effect as the case progressed as minor problems escalated. If the staff was so stressed they actually denied treatment to a child, she must have been giving them a truly ridiculous amount of hell.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for using a diamond from my girlfriends family heirloom for her engagement ring?

quote:

My girlfriend (22f) and I (24m) have been together for about 3 years, and I decided around 5 months ago that I wanted to propose. We share a dog and a home so it seemed the next logical step.

She’s hugely into jewellery, so I wanted to get her a really sentimental ring. At the end of September, her grandma suddenly passed away and as my girlfriend was the only granddaughter, she was passed down her wedding ring. Her and her grandma were extremely close, so I decided to ask her mom (her grandma was her dads mom) if she thought it’d be a good idea for me to use one of the diamonds in the ring for my girlfriends engagement ring. She told me that as much as she loved the idea, she didn’t know if my girlfriend would, and so told me to think about it.

I couldn’t find anything else I liked as much. My girlfriend didn’t wear the ring as she was worried about losing it, so kept it in a box in a drawer, making it easy for me to take without her realising. It ended up being a beautiful ring, and I thought she’d absolutely love the sentiment of it.

Well, I proposed. She said yes immediately and was absolutely elated, until she saw the ring. She told me I’d practically vandalised and ruined the only meaningful thing of her grandmothers that she had and that I should have asked. I went to her mom for support, but she just kept saying she warned me that my girlfriend might not like the idea. She said yes to my proposal but refuses to wear the ring, which I just think is disrespectful considering how much money and thought went into it. AITA?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

She still said yes :smith:

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

mind the walrus posted:

She still said yes :smith:

hoist the red flags and sail into the seas of marital bliss

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You know he didn’t actually try looking very hard because “hey free diamond just sitting there”.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

mind the walrus posted:

There's very even money it's both. Odds are very high she was doing herself no favors from the word "go" and that had a rolling effect as the case progressed as minor problems escalated. If the staff was so stressed they actually denied treatment to a child, she must have been giving them a truly ridiculous amount of hell.

I work in a Children's Hospital. Not ICU or infant side, thank god, but I have seen my share of parental meltdowns. Honestly, yeah, the doctors can gently caress up but if you are being lovely it doesn't give anyone the time to spot the problem. If something doesn't sound right to you, you can ask for an explanation. But honestly, I've only ever seen one person banned and that's because her child turned 18 and we could refuse to deal with mom at all, which was a happy day. I can't imagine how lovely you would have to be for them to refuse treatment for your kid. You would have to be literally a threat to staff safety.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I assume she was repeatedly threatening to sue for malpractice, leading to staff not wanting to do anything because it'd make them a target. Possible consent issues too.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

OPAONI posted:

I work in a Children's Hospital. Not ICU or infant side, thank god, but I have seen my share of parental meltdowns. Honestly, yeah, the doctors can gently caress up but if you are being lovely it doesn't give anyone the time to spot the problem. If something doesn't sound right to you, you can ask for an explanation. But honestly, I've only ever seen one person banned and that's because her child turned 18 and we could refuse to deal with mom at all, which was a happy day. I can't imagine how lovely you would have to be for them to refuse treatment for your kid. You would have to be literally a threat to staff safety.

Also a hospital person here. You can threaten to murder us, hurl racial slurs and attack staff and we still treat you. It's just how our system is built.

You have to be an absolute monster to get banned, let alone have people refuse to treat your kid. You have to be completely unhinged. Not just a danger, but the kind of danger that has been told over and over again and won't stop bringing shivs in so you can steal drugs from other patients.

And when they are banned they run to every media outlet they can and give their tortured version of events and we're never allowed to say anything.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

She’s from Idaho, it’s definitely her fault and she’s just loving crazy. I’m very confident in my verdict.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

I assume she was repeatedly threatening to sue for malpractice, leading to staff not wanting to do anything because it'd make them a target. Possible consent issues too.
This is my bet too. Hospital staff are very used to abuse, it's expected with the territory (not in a grandstanding way, just in a logical "well you're sick and not at your best, of course emotions are going to run high and even the best of us aren't able to keep it chill" way), and there are only two major routes to getting banned:

1. Repeated violence
2. Truly tying the hands of practitioners to the point where non-treatment is effectively all that's happening

Given that this was an ND kid with developmental issues, any treatment likely seemed horrific/scary/unpleasant to them. It's easy to imagine her assuming that any lack of immediate progress was incompetence, and didn't hesitate to try and bully staff around and that's in a best case.

Another thing is that hospital units tend to be really tiny ecosystems where everyone is at least aware of everyone else who is there regularly, so it's also painfully easy to imagine a run-on effect where she quickly poisoned her reputation with everyone in that department and it became a battle of wills. Groupthink is real.

But even then... as was said... you really have to be out there to get a ban from a medical facility. Really loving out there. Like "I bet the video of her with staff could go front-page viral" out there.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 6, 2021

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Salt, pepepr, raisins. In it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Usually when people mess up cooking basic dishes they're managed to go wrong at some point that only someone with literally only the most rudimentary understanding of 'cooking' can.

Like, a lot of people literally just skim a recipe, ignore the directions and toss random ingredients in a pot to boil for an arbitrary time like it's Breath of the Wild.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like, a lot of people literally just skim a recipe, ignore the directions and toss random ingredients in a pot to boil for an arbitrary time like it's Breath of the Wild.

Note that this works fine, but only if you know how to cook.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

you put fat with vegetable/meat+ heat congratulations you've mastered half of cooking. the other half? love.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
We need something on a Sunday night.

AITA for bringing up my sisters ex after she insulted my boyfriend's gift?

quote:

Throwaway Account: So I (22F) have a boyfriend named "Brad" (24M) and a sister named "Nika" (25F). Yesterday was my birthday and I celebrated with a few of my family members. When I was done opening my gifts, Brad pulled out an extra surprise gift. Inside was an original Blues Clues Plushie that he bought on FB Marketplace.

I was completely floored because I have wanted this toy since I was a kid. I was so excited and hugged him to death! Everyone seemed pleased and was happily taking pictures of me and my plushie. Unfortunately, one person clearly wasn't very impressed with the gift...Nika. After my family had dispersed throughout the house, I started chatting with Nika.

I was still hyped up on nostalgia and was talking about how we used to watch Blues Clues together. Nika had a bit of a weird look on her face as I continued to geek out. Eventually she said, "I mean it's neat, but aren't you a little too old for kid toys?" I said, "Oh come on sis! Just look at how cute it is." She responded, "Maybe if you got it from Mom, but from your boyfriend? Yeesh."

I was upset because I felt like she was being very disrespectful towards Brad and I. A couple hrs later, I was coming out of the bathroom when I overheard Nika and Brad from around the corner. I heard Nika say, "Why would you get OP something like that? You really couldn't think of something more practical?" Brad said, "I thought she would like it. Is it really that bad?" Nika responded, "Are you really asking me that? What girl wants some used baby toy from her own boyfriend?"

I was pissed! I went right up to Nika and said, "I get it Nika. You're just jealous because the last gift you got from your ex boyfriend was an STD and a breakup text!" Her face went pale, her eyes started swelling up and she immediately left the party. After my family left, my parents texted me saying that Nika had called them crying and told them what happened. They said that I was a massive rear end in a top hat for stooping so low, and I should've just told her to leave. AITA?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for dissolving a wrongful death settlement?

quote:

In 1996, I (M39), my brother (M38), and my father (M63) received a significant financial settlement for the wrongful death of my mother (my father’s wife). The suit provided My father, my brother, and I with 3 separate rewards for different amounts. Each was worth a life-changing amount of money.

At the time, at the age of 14 and 13, my brother and I agreed that the monies should be combined into a trust and that our father should be the trustee. As the trustee, he was authorized to remove income from the trust (any money made through interest, capital gains, or dividends) but not principle. My brother and I reaffirmed this after he turned 21, in 2004 without much discussion. The trust and the money in it wasn’t discussed much afterwards.

16 years later, in 2020, my father approached my brother and I requesting that we provide him full access to the trust. Initially, my brother and I agreed without any thought, but our father’s lawyer suggested that we get a lawyer to ensure that we make the decision with full knowledge of any consequences.

We got that lawyer and she told my brother and I that we would be insane to do this. That we may as well light that money on fire. My brother and I still wanted to go through with it until our wives realized what we were going to do. Both wives told us that they thought we were insane too, but that it was our decision. At that point, we sought further input and learned that every person we talked to thought it would be insane to basically give this money to our father with no strings.

While my brother and I were getting this input, the trust was dissolved and split back into three accounts. So, my brother and I were at a point where we controlled our own parts of the settlement and had to decide whether to give them to our dad.

We decided not to. For me, this was based on what that money could mean for me, my wife, and our three kids. I think my wife and I should decide how to use the money to best provide for our children.

My father and his siblings (our aunts) have essentially disowned my brother and I for this.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Cowslips Warren posted:

Lmfao :blastu:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Usually when people mess up cooking basic dishes they're managed to go wrong at some point that only someone with literally only the most rudimentary understanding of 'cooking' can.

Well you can do that in a crock-pot and probably still get a serviceable meal, so long as it isn't something insane like adding bananas and grapes to a roast.

Something like raisins in the mashed potatoes is so weird what is missing is whether or not the GF enjoyed it. People get raised in weird food traditions all the time and she might honestly think it tastes good.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Piell posted:

I thought the story was going to go in the other direction where the whole world tells them not to do something and they inexplicably do it anyway. no OP you're not an rear end in a top hat for following the advice of your lawyer and every single person you talked to

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

jfc, telling her boyfriend how much it sucked WHEN SHE LOVED THE GIFT is a weird dick move.

Oh, and good news from the hiking trail piss girl:

quote:

Edit: I will be breaking up with him

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

Sister shoulda learned by now not to gently caress with Blue

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

mind the walrus posted:

gently caress this is a good page. drat OP got loving bodied and it's not hard to recognize shades of narcissism and favoritism at play in the family that are there without being said. Hopefully she gets out and starts to really heal. Mom straight up uninviting her from Christmas is cold.

This is true.

At the same time... I dunno what OP expected. Like she handled the text thing in the absolute worst fashion, where I would absolutely not believe her that she wasn't cheating.

She could have avoided it all just by talking to her BF at the time, him finding it out and having to confront her about it basically sealed the deal that everyone would believe it even if that wasn't true

(Not that it justifies anything!!! She just... Walked into the trap)

Miserable Maid fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 6, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

pentyne posted:

Well you can do that in a crock-pot and probably still get a serviceable meal, so long as it isn't something insane like adding bananas and grapes to a roast.

Sounds like Moroccan cooking, yum!

My very best guess is that burt-mash girl either a) tried to be very extra and roast the potatoes before mashing, burning them a bit, or imo b) left the pot of mash on the hot element and the bottom of it burnt, which she then made the rookie mistake of mixing/stirring so the burnt flavour blended through even after all the black stuff was thrown out. Raisins where added in later to try and counteract the bitterness?

Or maybe she nailed the dish and that's how she likes it, who knows.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Lone Badger posted:

Note that this works fine, but only if you know how to cook.

* Does not apply to baking.

EDIT:

Midnight Voyager posted:

Oh, and good news from the hiking trail piss girl:

quote:

Edit: I will be breaking up with him

This is good news.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 6, 2021

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

Piell posted:

I love how the father's lawyer absolutely thought what was going to happen was horrible and warned the OP as much as they could.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Agaragon posted:

I love how the father's lawyer absolutely thought what was going to happen was horrible and warned the OP as much as they could.

It's one of those times you absolutely need a lawyer immediately if another involved party's lawyer says to you "you need a lawyer" because they must know some heinous poo poo is going to go down if you just agree to whatever that person wants.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Comes out in the comments that the father was spending all the income from all three trusts every year, and argued that he was owed the rest because his second wife and he needed it to retire on. Glad OP listened to wives and lawyers.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Ex-bil doesn’t want me to treat his kids differently

quote:

I (42f) spoil my nephew Chris and spend a lot time with him. Chris is my late sisters son. My sister died when he was 5 after a heart attack as she had a undetected heart condition. Chris spends a lot of time at our house where my parents/his grandparents, husband, 2 daughters and 2 sons also live. Chris has his own room in my house and has his own set of keys, he comes and goes as he pleases. Chris also has great bond with his cousins who all consider him their brother. As far as my husband and I go he’s also our son and is included into everything we do with and for our kids. He goes with us on all our vacations and this year my husband and I bought him a car for his 16th just as we did when our eldest son turned 16. My parents and I also plan on paying his way through college same as his cousins since ex-bil could never afford to.

Ex-bil wants me to include his other kids (2 teenage stepsons and his 2 boys and daughter with his wife) into our time with him. His other kids often get jealous of all the attention and money we spend on Chris and his wife feels like I’m driving a wedge between the kids. Especially as their oldest son Tom also wants a car but again ex-bil and wife can’t afford it. They want me to make Chris share his car with Tom. I told him I would not persuade Chris to share.

I’m not even going to lie but I don’t like ex-bil I certainly don’t like his wife and their kids are obnoxious mean little shits but I obviously never treat them in an unkind manner and I don’t allow Chris to speak to them or about them in a disrespectful manner. Even though I know they all constantly exclude Chris,purposely break his things and make him feel like an outsider.

I don’t feel like it’s my responsibility to consider the other kids ex-bil has and at the moment I don’t know how to deal with the situation and any advice to make Chris’s life more comfortable I’d love to hear!

quote:

Chris does keep nearly all of his things at my house. His room at his dads is pretty bare. That’s because the other kids often break his things or fight over it. We did buy him a new PlayStation a while back and he shared it with his siblings but then there was a argument about something or another and one of the boys broke it in anger. This was not the first time they broke his things

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for not making my (32f) boyfriend (27m) adhere to a dress code my mother requested for my birthday dinner?

quote:

I would like to give some context that I think is relevant.

My boyfriend(I'll call him Alex) is from up north. So when he moved to my state (Florida), he started mostly wearing basketball shorts with no shirt (with exceptions for stores, restaurants, etc, obviously.) And it's Florida so it's not uncommon down here.

My family also does this thing that I like to call "King of The Hill night". Every Friday all the neighbors, family, and friends gather at my mom and step-dad's house to drink and shoot the poo poo while we hang out in front of the garage.

Alex is also my step-dad's step nephew. (My step-dad's brother is Alex's step-dad). So for more casual things like Friday nights, he will normally wear the basketball shorts without a shirt.

When Alex started attending Friday nights, no one had an issue with how he dressed. But then after a few months, my mom became very vocal with not liking how Alex dressed, along with criticizing his looks. She started requesting that Alex wear a shirt whenever he came over, which he complied with since it was her house we were all gathering at. But even still, she finds things to nitpick about. Alex and I will either ignore it, or just won't go to my mom's and step-dad's if we think she's being a bit much.

All that to finally bring us to yesterday. Yesterday was my birthday. My mom reached out to me a few days ago and wanted to plan taking me out for my birthday. My mom asked me to pick a restaurant (I picked Texas Roadhouse) and set it up for the evening of my birthday. I asked if Alex could attend and my mom said "of course!" So when yesterday arrives, about an hour before we were supposed to leave, my mom messages me and asks to make sure Alex is wearing pants and not his "swim trunks". (When Alex came down to Florida, it was initially going to be temporary, so he left a lot of things up north, including a lot of his clothing. But since a lot has changed since he came down, he's currently in the process of getting his stuff moved down here. ) So I had to tell her that Alex doesn't have any pants, and given the fact she was telling me an hour before we needed to leave, it wasn't going to be possible to stop by the store and then go to the restaurant. I didn't think it was a big deal since I don't consider Texas Roadhouse fancy by any means. Alex was just going to wear a black t shirt with some black basketball shorts. My mom got mad, and said that I had two options then: we cancel or Alex can't come and my mom and I go without him. So, I told her I will just cancel, then. Then my mom replies saying that I ruined the whole evening and that Alex and I "have no sense of socially acceptable behavior".

So, AITA here? I didn't think what Alex was going to wear was that big of a deal. But is it in this context?

ETA: More context: Alex isn't the only one that will go without a shirt on Friday nights. My step-dad used to do it frequently, as did a few of the neighbors. So, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Also, once my mom asked him to start wearing shirts, he did. He wasn't planning to go to the restaurant without a shirt.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Piell posted:

I really, really thought the twist was gonna be the mom had faked her wrongful death and was still alive because what the gently caress is that title

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Piell posted:

AITA for not making my (32f) boyfriend (27m) adhere to a dress code my mother requested for my birthday dinner?

Can we make this entire story a thread title?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Barudak posted:

I really, really thought the twist was gonna be the mom had faked her wrongful death and was still alive because what the gently caress is that title

Yeah I thought he was talking about giving the money back or something. That’s a bad title.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for picking out my daughter's outfits?

quote:

I have a 17 year old daughter named Kate, and I love picking out outfits for her. She's easy to shop for, because she's the same size as me and therefore we can share clothes. She'll sometimes argue with me about the clothes I pick for her, but that's just a typical teenager for you.

A few weeks ago, she went to visit my sister Cora and her family. She has a 21 year old daughter named Becca. Kate and Becca went shopping, which I didn't mind. When Kate got home, she had some new outfits and I honestly didn't like them. They just weren't my style. They were a bit revealing too (one shirt fell right above her belly button and had sheer sleeves). She can wear them around the house or whatever, but I told her she isn't allowed to wear them to school, and that I'll continue picking out her outfits from now on. She protested and said that the outfits weren't that revealing, and it's not like the school has a dress code anyways (she's right - the school she goes to doesn't have a dress code and therefore these outfits wouldn't be in violation). I didn't budge.

I called Cora to laugh about the issue. I told her that it's just typical teenager stuff and I found it funny that Kate thought those outfits looked good. Cora didn't find it funny though. She went off and called me an rear end in a top hat, saying that I'm being too controlling. She said that belly shirts were just the style nowadays and Kate is old enough to wear what she wants. She says that I go way too far by picking out all of Kate's outfits.

So now I'm kind of conflicted. I don't think I'm the rear end in a top hat and I think it's within my right as a parent to pick out what my daughter wears. She'll follow my rules while she lives under my roof. However I fear that there's something I'm not seeing here. AITA?

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Lol your basketball shorts are ruining the atmosphere of the Texas Roadhouse birthday dinner!!

My family calls it Texas Roadkill

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I ain't gunna make light of incest, a serious life altering abuse, but there's something weird about clothes sharing with your child on a consistent, every day basis.

Just buy a loving purse puppy chee wah wah poke doodle hybrid.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Your basketball shorts are ruining the decorum of this Texas Roadhou--

Aw gently caress, hold on a minute, I got a peanut shell stuck in my Croc

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

i would like texas roadhouse if everytime i even thought about going it didn't have a 30 minute wait to be seated.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

DemoneeHo posted:

:negative:

You can skip straight to the update for this post. The pertinent pieces of info from part one are:
- OP got sexts from an unknown number which her ex boyfriend saw and presumably dumped her over them
- Ex bf starts dating E, who is a friend of OP's sister
- OP's sister has her wedding at E's home
- OP's mom accuses OP of cheating on the ex bf

My ex bf proposed to his new gf at my sister’s wedding. My sister didn’t warn me and now I’m too angry to let go

Update: my sister let My ex propose to his gf at her wedding without giving me the heads up

I still don’t fully understand what happened here. There’s a lot going on, what went down besides a loving catastrophe lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
How temporary was this going to be if he didn't pack some pants?