Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

How are u posted:

Hopefully he croaks on his own, and soon. Or maybe somebody will poison him like he's poisoned so many others.

Dude's very active, I doubt he's going anywhere anytime soon. The only way he dies soon is either aggressive cancer or a rival bumping him off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Belarus summons military attache of Ukraine over "border crossing

Welcome back to the 30s

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I think Russia invading other countries is bad and should be resisted.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

drilldo squirt posted:

Drilldo you could join an azov battalion and stand as a defender of the victims of communism

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

drilldo squirt posted:

great, any suggestions?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
We could give them weapons?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I'm not exactly the type of guy with geopolitical experience.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Maybe station some troops to dissuade the Russians from attacking?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm not exactly the type of guy with geopolitical experience.

That you can admit this places your skillset and experience far above the people who ACTUALLY affect the US' geopolitical strategy, who believe themselves to be highly skilled and cunning, despite a legacy of complete and utter failure.

Let that sink in before believing those people should intervene in this situation.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

drilldo squirt posted:

We could give them weapons?

Taxpayer money is already buying the finest weapons from the best defense contractors on the planet and handing them to Ukrainian troops and militias who aren't trained in their use.

drilldo squirt posted:

Maybe station some troops to dissuade the Russians from attacking?

And risk triple digit ARE TROOPS bodybags in the leadup to the elections, for a nation we have no formal defense treaty with? Are you nuts?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Biden spoke out against Slavic unity today. He stated that the Austro-hungaruajsbeere the true leaders of the slavs and will bring them to Valhalla.

Okay in reality no one here loving cares. NATO is making tiny meaningless threats that amount to strongly drafted letters as anothe poster hilariously said.

It would be nice for Russia to not destroy Ukraine but I am unsure at this point. Unsure that they will invade or not invade that is. Unfortunately if they do Invade it will cause ripples that if which the world hasn't seen since we were faux isolatinists In the interwar period.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 6, 2021

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Any situation that results in Americans shooting at Russians should probably be avoided. It seems easier to avoid that than avoiding Ukraine being occupied. It sucks, but that's the reality. If we or NATO put any troops in place it will just escalate to the point of horror show pretty quickly if Russia decided to invade anyway. I don't know if that would be the result, but the potential for escalation would be very high.

We should probably offer humanitarian aid and grant asylum to anyone fleeing at the minimum. At the maximum I would say increased defensive arms sales, international sanctions, and assisting nations off of the dependence on Russian oil.

How will western Europe respond?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

How will western Europe respond?

Wondering if the closer border with Russia will reduce gas prices?

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

quote:

Any situation that results in Americans shooting at Russians should probably be avoided. It seems easier to avoid that than avoiding Ukraine being occupied. It sucks, but that's the reality. If we or NATO put any troops in place it will just escalate to the point of horror show pretty quickly if Russia decided to invade anyway. I don't know if that would be the result, but the potential for escalation would be very high.

Tbh that's what people said about Syria, that the US needs to get out or Russia will start WW3, but turning 200-300 Russian mercs attacking the US base into minced meat had a positive, calming effect on the conflict

In other news pretty concerning stuff: https://www.ft.com/content/b287f2e3-3b8b-4095-b704-c255a943c84c
US intelligence-sharing convinces allies of Russian threat to Ukraine

quote:

EU and Nato allies have swung behind the Biden administration’s assessment that Russia may be poised to invade Ukraine following unprecedented sharing of US intelligence on Moscow’s military preparations.

Weeks of sustained US diplomatic engagement with European governments, backed by a sharing of intelligence normally reserved for its closest allies, have helped convince some previously sceptical capitals, including Berlin, that the Kremlin could soon order its troops into Ukraine. The effort has galvanised support for the need for robust sanctions threats to deter the Kremlin.

quote:

Dude's very active, I doubt he's going anywhere anytime soon. The only way he dies soon is either aggressive cancer or a rival bumping him off

He's been sitting in an underground bunker for the whole epidemic having zoom calls listening to people whine about bad roads and him being a murderer. He might be physically healthy but there's s good chance he's not all there mentally anymore especially if he's been watching russian television that has been hours of people screaming about horrors of Ukraine daily for the past 7+ years

Somaen fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 6, 2021

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Drilldo you could join an azov battalion and stand as a defender of the victims of communism

Boy howdy, if you think the azov battalion is bad, you can look at the DNR leadership if you like. Putin loves neo-nazis.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Slavic neo nazis will never not be confusing.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Fascism is just my group is so awesome and we love violence and killing people to take their stuff, it's not limited to Aryans or whatever

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

GABA ghoul posted:

That describes the lasts invasion too though. After 2014 Russia has become politically and economically isolated. It has been experiencing massive economic troubles as a result. Crimea and Donbas are huge financial burdens. Millions of people have been displaced, tens of thousands are dead. Overall, the invasion was a huge disaster for the Russian people, but he still went ahead with it. He is not exactly a rational actor.

It's been seven years since then and Putin's hold on power remains steady. He's unopposed domestically and an important figure internationally. From that point of view (which is IMO the most important point of view), the decision to invade was good. It's doubtful he'd keep the Russian reins for decades by being a good international neighbor and investing in roads and schools. I honestly don't get all this Putin crazy/irrational/mad/blah blah D&D talk.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Putin's not crazy, he's just an rear end in a top hat

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah Putin's not crazy, he's playing to his base with stuff like this.

mobby_6kl posted:

Putin's not crazy, he's just an rear end in a top hat

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
https://www.nordpoolgroup.com/Market-data1/Dayahead/Area-Prices/ALL1/Hourly/?view=table

Estimated cost of electricity tomorrow morning in the Baltic states will be over 1000€/MWh. Incredible.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

jonnypeh posted:

https://www.nordpoolgroup.com/Market-data1/Dayahead/Area-Prices/ALL1/Hourly/?view=table

Estimated cost of electricity tomorrow morning in the Baltic states will be over 1000€/MWh. Incredible.

I, for one, commends the anti crypto mining commitment of the Baltic states.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jonnypeh posted:

I hope my utility bill is not going to be as incredible, but then again I’m pretty sure my building is on some fixed rate deal since the price per kWh this year, in any given month, has been below that of the last year.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Doctor Malaver posted:

It's been seven years since then and Putin's hold on power remains steady. He's unopposed domestically and an important figure internationally. From that point of view (which is IMO the most important point of view), the decision to invade was good. It's doubtful he'd keep the Russian reins for decades by being a good international neighbor and investing in roads and schools. I honestly don't get all this Putin crazy/irrational/mad/blah blah D&D talk.

From a solipsistic clinging to power perspective that is true, but most people judge a leader based on how they rule a country and what kind of legacy they are leaving behind. Putin is firmly batshit crazy by those standards after:
- one million excess deaths to covid
- political enemies killed, imprisoned or exiled
- no vision for a future, obsessed with past
- population's wages stagnant or declining since 2014 as is social spending, this is despite an enormous hoard of oil revenue
- free press, civil society repressed and silenced
- etc

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Estonia and Hungary have vetoed the minimum corporate tax rate reform. Not even Ireland, Netherlands, and Poland have done that, impressive.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Folks tend to confuse "acting under a different calculus than my own" with "irrational". If you and I choose different flavors of ice cream at the ice cream truck, neither of us is irrational merely for lack of arriving at the same choice. If, however, you ask the attendant for a zirconium-plated mecha-platypus and attack them when they look at you quizzically, you just might be irrational.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

Folks tend to confuse "acting under a different calculus than my own" with "irrational". If you and I choose different flavors of ice cream at the ice cream truck, neither of us is irrational merely for lack of arriving at the same choice. If, however, you ask the attendant for a zirconium-plated mecha-platypus and attack them when they look at you quizzically, you just might be irrational.

And if you rob the poor ice cream man and force him to surrender his truck to you at gunpoint, ice creams and all, you are not only being rational, you also win

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Somaen posted:

From a solipsistic clinging to power perspective that is true, but most people judge a leader based on how they rule a country and what kind of legacy they are leaving behind. Putin is firmly batshit crazy by those standards after:
- one million excess deaths to covid
- political enemies killed, imprisoned or exiled
- no vision for a future, obsessed with past
- population's wages stagnant or declining since 2014 as is social spending, this is despite an enormous hoard of oil revenue
- free press, civil society repressed and silenced
- etc

I think we all agree on those points, but they are only secondary when trying to predict Russia's future actions (which is what everyone's been doing - predicting whether Russia will invade or not, cut gas to Europe or not etc). These actions will be determined by Putin's "solipsism" : Which outcome of this crisis will benefit me personally the most? What will leave me in power 5-10 years from now, unopposed domestically and important internationally?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Doctor Malaver posted:

I think we all agree on those points, but they are only secondary when trying to predict Russia's future actions (which is what everyone's been doing - predicting whether Russia will invade or not, cut gas to Europe or not etc). These actions will be determined by Putin's "solipsism" : Which outcome of this crisis will benefit me personally the most? What will leave me in power 5-10 years from now, unopposed domestically and important internationally?

I already said this two weeks ago but what we're going to end up with are a sanctions package that hurts the average Russian but does nothing against Putin or the oligarchs or Russia's military, and a heavily militarized NATO border.

Both of these things are domestic political goldmines, from his perspective.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Doctor Malaver posted:

Yes, totally agree -- I was referring to calling him mad and irrational being a fairly accurate assessment from a normal everyday human perspective since after 20 years in power and incredible oil wealth he squandered everything while also strategically making an enemy out of a culturally close nation. This does not mean that his thinking doesn't follow a logical and predictable pattern that you can follow based on him being a power hungry and unexplainably money grubbing evil rear end in a top hat with the usual Soviet/russian nationalist folklore painting his assessment of reality common to any Soviet-raised grandpa

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Putin and Biden to discuss tensions around Ukraine, NATO's advance towards Russian borders and Russian President's initiative on security guarantees - Kremlin

Lol security gurantee like a buffer state. Let's call it the kyivan republic of West dniper

Here's news:

Downing Street says Boris Johnson and the leaders of the United States, Italy, France and Germany have agreed to present a "united front" against Russian threats towards Ukraine

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 7, 2021

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

I just received word that Ukrainian forces have made an attack on a Russian radio station near the border! They transmitted a short anti-Russian message in Ukrainian. Several attackers in uniform were left behind with posthumous gunshot wounds.

Valiant Russian president, Vladimir Putin, announced on state TV:
Putin? Hitler. Andrew Jackson? Hitler. Winston Churchill? Hitler. Hitler? Hitler.
Turns out history is basically Hitlers all the way down, man.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
It's about -10 today on the Belarus border. I hope most Iraqis were evacuated out by now

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Putin? Hitler. Andrew Jackson? Hitler. Winston Churchill? Hitler. Hitler? Hitler.

I think only two of those attacked and conquered a neighbouring country. Well, one of them, the other is still in the process.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Depends how you classify Chechnya.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

And Ireland

Up the 'RA

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hitler posted:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Erulisse posted:

I think only two of those attacked and conquered a neighbouring country. Well, one of them, the other is still in the process.
I dunno man when I think of Hitler the main quality doesn't really come up as "attacked and conquered a neighboring country". Like, don't get me wrong, that's a hosed up thing to do, but like, cmon.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

And the Cherokee nation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I dunno man when I think of Hitler the main quality doesn't really come up as "attacked and conquered a neighboring country". Like, don't get me wrong, that's a hosed up thing to do, but like, cmon.
lol, you don't think "started a world war that killed tens of millions while in pursuit of irredentist goals" is one of the primary things he's remembered for, alongside the Holocaust and, of course, being the man who killed Hitler?