Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The Supreme Court has taken another recess...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
Typically if you bring something to a craftsman/mechanic/tailor, etc., to be worked on, they work on the item, and you don't pay them, they can hold the item "for ransom" until paid. If the customer and the tradesman haven't talked about price, what are the limits on how much the tradesman can charge?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How can you have not paid them if they haven’t told you a price

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You bring your item to a tailor. They say it'll be ready on Tuesday.

On Tuesday you go to pick it up and they're like "oh it was a hard material to work with, but it came out great, it's gonna be $1k"

You say "That's ridiculous, I'm not paying $1k for tailoring a $200 dress" and they say "okay then you can't have it back"

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
This came up in a TFR thread.

Imgur posted:

Typically my Sundays involve sleeping in, eating lunch for breakfast, and playing Minecraft in my pajamas. Today was a bit different in the sense a swat team asked to use my window as a snipers nest for a hostage situation. Guy with a pistol and AR, drunk, firing shots in the air, threatening to shoot others.

knuthgrush posted:

Side question: If the team really did ask and didn't just state that they were coming in, what would happen if you told them no? Would they come on in and set up shop anyway?

Under what conditions could the police demand entry in to a house not directly involved in the incident?

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat

Anne Whateley posted:

You bring your item to a tailor. They say it'll be ready on Tuesday.

On Tuesday you go to pick it up and they're like "oh it was a hard material to work with, but it came out great, it's gonna be $1k"

You say "That's ridiculous, I'm not paying $1k for tailoring a $200 dress" and they say "okay then you can't have it back"

Yeah, that's what I had in mind.

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Let's talk about disability and welfare.

If a highly intelligent person is disabled by no fault of his own, but can demonstrate that their original [non-disabled] state would yield them $100 million a month, how likely is such a case like that to advance to and beyond the Supreme Court?

Do not worry how it can be demonstrated, assume it can be. Do not worry about the $100 million figure as that's not supposed to make a difference in this legal question.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That question is uselessly vague. What exact program do you think they would be eligible for? “Welfare” is not a specific thing.

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

smackfu posted:

That question is uselessly vague. What exact program do you think they would be eligible for? “Welfare” is not a specific thing.

The federal (+state) limit for Social Security Income in California is around $974 a month.

What I am asking is that if you can prove not just that you merely spend more money than that much per month, but can prove that you would actualy make $100 million a month in wages if it weren't from your non-fault disability, would this hold water in a federal or above court?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I don’t think you have much of an understanding of the social security disability system. They would not pay extra because someone lost earning potential. No appeals of such a denial would be entertained because it is a meritless question.

You sue the person that injured you for lost earnings. State provided disability is just enough for you to live on. It doesn’t actually provide enough to live on.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Long term disability insurance is the only thing I can think of that would give you coverage relative to income but you have to pay more for more coverage so there’s no trick to it.

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don’t think you have much of an understanding of the social security disability system. They would not pay extra because someone lost earning potential. No appeals of such a denial would be entertained because it is a meritless question.

You sue the person that injured you for lost earnings. State provided disability is just enough for you to live on. It doesn’t actually provide enough to live on.

The reason I asked is because an online university I go to does offer disability "accommodations," but none would fulfill my problems. I need more concentration power, not "more time during exams" or "audio recording in class/offline." I am just stunned that even though no accommodation available can meet my needs, I am given no assistance when I try to remedy it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Starpluck posted:

The reason I asked is because an online university I go to does offer disability "accommodations," but none would fulfill my problems. I need more concentration power, not "more time during exams" or "audio recording in class/offline." I am just stunned that even though no accommodation available can meet my needs, I am given no assistance when I try to remedy it.

How might the school provide you additional concentration power?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

How might the school provide you additional concentration power?

Fewer women study partners and less uncertainty about a second mortgage on a house?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Starpluck posted:

Disability accommodation under the ADA and 'Disability' the government benefit program aren't even the same sport, much less in the same ballpark.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SSDI has a maximum monthly payout of 3,011 per month. That's that. Period. What's to sue about? The government created a program to give money to disabled people, and set limits on that program, and it's not like you or anyone has a constitutional right to more money than that.

That seems totally unrelated to whether your school is able or willing or obliged to accommodate your disabilities. You might note that the americans with disabilities act, ADA, requires educational institutions to make "reasonable accommodation" but generally does not set absolute factors for what that constitutes, because it recognizes that there is no theoretical upper limit to how much money it might cost to accommodate any particular disability, and that it's not viable to demand every institution bankrupt itself trying to accommodate everyone.

Here's a useful guide:
https://www.stimmel-law.com/en/articles/americans-disabilities-act-ada-and-educational-accomodation
In particular, take a look at the "Requirements Imposed Upon the Institutions:" section.

Excerpts:

quote:

One aim of the ADA was to make educational institutions more accessible for the disabled. This aim covers “reasonable accommodations” such as the following:

Modification of application and testing
Allowing students to tape-record or videotape lectures and classes
Modification of class schedules
Extra time allotted between classes
Note takers
Interpreters
Readers
Specialized computer equipment
Special education

Public accommodation is not required if a particular aid or service would result in either fundamental alteration of the services offered by the facility or if the accommodation would impose an undue burden. (See Southeastern Community College v. Davis, 442 U.S. 397 (1979)). Under the U.S. Supreme Court’s interpretation, Congress intended that undue burden and hardship must be determined on a case-by-case basis.

I expect it's going to be up to you to negotiate exactly what you want your school to do for you, and for them to decide (perhaps in consultation with their lawyers) exactly how much accommodation they are willing to make, within the bounds of "reasonable."

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Have you tried not masturbating in order to increase your focus and motivation?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Atticus_1354 posted:

This came up in a TFR thread.

Under what conditions could the police demand entry in to a house not directly involved in the incident?

Unless they are literally in hot pursuit of a dangerous felon or some other exigency exists, I don’t think they have any right to enter a house without permission (or a warrant).

Setting up a sniper observer probably does not qualify.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Unless they are literally in hot pursuit of a dangerous felon or some other exigency exists, I don’t think they have any right to enter a house without permission (or a warrant).

third amendment Third Amendment THIRD AMENDMENT!!!

OK they probably didn't spend the night but still, it's such a rare amendment to get to invoke anymore, right?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
There was exactly such a case in 2013. The cops took over a private residence without consent and arrested the homeowner when he objected. The subsequent lawsuit made the news because it made a third amendment claim. The courts tossed that claim, sadly but not unexpectedly. I don't know how the rest of the suit turned out.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

I expect it's going to be up to you to negotiate exactly what you want your school to do for you, and for them to decide (perhaps in consultation with their lawyers) exactly how much accommodation they are willing to make, within the bounds of "reasonable."

I don't think the ADA is quite the same in education as it is in employment, but in employment the burden is on the employee to request a reasonable accommodation, which triggers the employer's burden to have a dialogue about possible accommodations and what would be reasonable and what would address the disability. So if OP can't articulate anything the school can do that would accommodate the disability, they probably haven't broken the law.

Not your lawyer, talk to a lawyer, etc. etc.

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
My final question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtLTmg2vCzY

Following the legal claims that claim that President Trump is not allowed to block people on Twitter, is there a legal case with the fact the above LIBRARY-government agency's video restricts public comments?

EDIT: △

Starpluck fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 7, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Is there even a consensus on what exactly concentration power is? Much less how can you even quantify or give it to someone?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Starpluck posted:

My final question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtLTmg2vCzY

Following the legal claims that claim that President Trump is not allowed to block people on Twitter, is there a legal case with the fact the above LIBRARY-government agency's video restricts public comments?

No. There’s a difference between blocking and not permitting comments.

(Even ignoring the difference between a government official and a 501 associated with a governmental entity, like the entity that runs that account, which is a meaningful difference.)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Outrail posted:

Is there even a consensus on what exactly concentration power is? Much less how can you even quantify or give it to someone?

Many people report additional focus with medication (usually amphetamines), for example. Schools' accommodations have to be things that the institution or instructor can provide, though, which rules out surgeries, Adderall, and the like. Educational accommodations such as extra time on exams and distraction-free environments are etiology-agnostic accommodations for conditions that reduce the impact of a diminished ability to concentrate, rather than addressing the condition itself. The process of qualifying for them, though, is burdensome -- it's time-consuming and expensive.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

My concentration power is usually around 'Yellow', but if I take my concentration pills, I can get it up to a 7, or something a B+ even.

Unironically, when I was on Adderall, I would enter a state of hyperfocus that is unlike anything else. I dosed on a generic form of it in a drug trial and finished the 6th Harry Potter book from beginning to end effortlessly in one sitting, in what felt like 15 minutes.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Bounty hunters have shown to have a fun ability to ignore everyone's rights in pursuit of someone.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Burglars too, but that wasn’t the question lol

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

My concentration power is usually around 'Yellow', but if I take my concentration pills, I can get it up to a 7, or something a B+ even.

Unironically, when I was on Adderall, I would enter a state of hyperfocus that is unlike anything else. I dosed on a generic form of it in a drug trial and finished the 6th Harry Potter book from beginning to end effortlessly in one sitting, in what felt like 15 minutes.

Do you know what the drug was because I would kill to be able to focus on anything for more than five minutes.

My brother has add and I'm on the fence of I do as well. I tried dexamphetamines once and things worked for a week or two and they sort of stopped working.

I should get tested

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

BigHead posted:

Fewer women study partners and less uncertainty about a second mortgage on a house?

This didn't get enough love.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Do you know what the drug was because I would kill to be able to focus on anything for more than five minutes.

My brother has add and I'm on the fence of I do as well. I tried dexamphetamines once and things worked for a week or two and they sort of stopped working.

I should get tested

It was some kind of amphetamine, I couldn't tell you exactly which one and it was 10+ years ago. When I did eventually get a script for Adderall and the effect was pretty similar (although probably less intense). A warning about Adderall though: You build a resistance to it and the feeling is intoxicating. I probably slipped from 'use' to 'abuse' around the time I started scheduling doses around WoW. I feel like I barely escaped that poo poo.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
What if I'm chasing the heady feeling of completing a multipage excel calculation without any error notifications?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Outrail posted:

What if I'm chasing the heady feeling of completing a multipage excel calculation without any error notifications?

Then you should play Eve Online

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

It was some kind of amphetamine, I couldn't tell you exactly which one and it was 10+ years ago. When I did eventually get a script for Adderall and the effect was pretty similar (although probably less intense). A warning about Adderall though: You build a resistance to it and the feeling is intoxicating. I probably slipped from 'use' to 'abuse' around the time I started scheduling doses around WoW. I feel like I barely escaped that poo poo.

Not everyone builds the same resistance to it, and a lot of prescribers encourage "medication holidays" ie you skip it on the weekends to reduce the impact of it. Yeah it's a potential side effect but honestly seems overblown to me.

My metabolism is such that I can take Vyvanse every other day and still get a pretty good boost from it, though every day is ideal for me. I've been on 30mg for kind of a while without having to increase from there.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

homullus posted:

Many people report additional focus with medication (usually amphetamines), for example. Schools' accommodations have to be things that the institution or instructor can provide, though, which rules out surgeries, Adderall, and the like. Educational accommodations such as extra time on exams and distraction-free environments are etiology-agnostic accommodations for conditions that reduce the impact of a diminished ability to concentrate, rather than addressing the condition itself. The process of qualifying for them, though, is burdensome -- it's time-consuming and expensive.

Yeah, one of the standard accommodations for students with ADHD, for example, is longer time on tests in an isolated environment to minimize distractions. See here for some other suggestions to request. https://www.verywellmind.com/college-and-university-accommodations-for-adhd-4107019

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

joat mon posted:

This didn't get enough love.

Unlike the study partners.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

JohnCompany posted:

Unlike the study partners.

the ol' one two

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Kalman posted:

No. There’s a difference between blocking and not permitting comments.

(Even ignoring the difference between a government official and a 501 associated with a governmental entity, like the entity that runs that account, which is a meaningful difference.)

Probably something like a block from a social media page is a content-based restriction from participating in a public forum, while not having comments enabled is just not having a public forum at all.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Smiling Knight posted:

Probably something like a block from a social media page is a content-based restriction from participating in a public forum, while not having comments enabled is just not having a public forum at all.

I think it's less participation in the public forum and more being able to see public communications from an elected official. If you're blocked you can't read their tweets or what have you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

BonerGhost posted:

I think it's less participation in the public forum and more being able to see public communications from an elected official. If you're blocked you can't read their tweets or what have you.

The decision was much more focused on the public forum issue than on the seeing public communications issue.