Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I would give a poo poo if Gryz died :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zore posted:

I would give a poo poo if Gryz died :(

The party probably wouldn't, though, beyond the "wow Zio's kind of an rear end in a top hat, it sucks that surly Motavian we met like a day ago is dead now".

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kanos posted:

The party probably wouldn't, though, beyond the "wow Zio's kind of an rear end in a top hat, it sucks that surly Motavian we met like a day ago is dead now".

What about his little sister, you gonna let that chucklefuck pervert village leader motavian look after her???

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It should have been Hahn.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I think the most interesting suggestion I've ever heard from someone was having Chaz die instead, which could have worked but would have been a very different game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Thuryl posted:

I think the most interesting suggestion I've ever heard from someone was having Chaz die instead, which could have worked but would have been a very different game.

Yeah, fundamentally PS4 is a pretty standard coming of age story for Chaz. Alys living and him dying would have required some pretty significant changes but you could have gotten a really great story that was more about dealing with a subordinate dying, what it means to be a mentor who outlives your protege, possibly learning to open up and take Rika under her wing etc.

I'd be really interested in seeing how that could have turned out

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Thuryl posted:

This would have been really interesting, but yeah would have required a very different setup.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you have to keep in mind also that phantasy star iv came out in, 1993, and was probably the best party member death done in a jrpg up to that point. tellahs cool but hes only really around for two dungeons.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In part, the amount of people bargaining for someone else to die, down to the protagonist themself instead, always cements in my mind why killing Alys was the right choice.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I'd say it's still one of the best party member deaths because of how they didn't just execute her on the spot when she takes the hit for Chaz, instead they let the possibility of her death linger and hang over your head for a while before finally dropping it on you only after you've tracked down the one guy on the planet who might be able to help her.

Putting aside what tends to happen to mentor characters, it's also never really foreshadowed in any way, other than a vague allusion to it in a totally optional and very easily missed short conversation with her fortuneteller friend in Aiedo, which I'm guessing a ton of players run right past.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Law Hero's lamentations at his death, realizing he was never the messiah and was just a tool was very well done. Especially compared to it's contemporary counterpart

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

you have to keep in mind also that phantasy star iv came out in, 1993, and was probably the best party member death done in a jrpg up to that point. tellahs cool but hes only really around for two dungeons.

Yeah I guess at that point the only notable times a game had done it were Tellah and..well, Nei.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Galuf, although that game wasn't available outside Japan at the time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah Alys lingering on for a bit before succumbing to her injuries instead of pulling through is another thing that it has over pretty much all other mentor deaths. Its not a fake out, and its needed so you the player and Chaz feel confident they can do this as you have a quest to finish in this time, but its still a gut punch of "her condition worsened"

What Im saying is Phantasy Star IV kicks rear end and when I become head of Sega all those who didn't waste money making more of those games will be punished for their sins

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
A question I asked a while ago, but either got missed, or I missed the reply to it: Is there a good step-by-step guide on how to break Star Ocean 2 (specifically the PS1 version)? I remember reading that you can trivialize a lot of the late-game stuff if you build certain skills and get certain items at the start, but there's three-dozen or so guides on GameFAQs, and I'm not sure which is the best or most straightforward to follow.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m definitely binging PSIV hard right now, I already beat Dark Force the second time. I really dig how the story ties in with PSI & II and just acknowledges that PSIII happened in an optional area. Actually PSIII is happening at the same time, right? Since the events of PSI were 2000 years ago in both games?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

blue reflection 2 owns but the occasional attempts by the translation to pretend these girls are college students are bizarre. its so rare that its pretty easy to ignore but it doesnt make sense both because this is a very obvious coming of age high school type story and because there's not even really anything that racy in the game? (and also theyre all in high school uniforms) like p5 has way more of that stuff and it got released fine. zero idea why the translators felt the need to do that, but from what i can tell they were all japanese so that miiight explain it.

the tl in general is fine, occasional stiffness aside, but that's one really weird choice.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

blue reflection 2 owns but the occasional attempts by the translation to pretend these girls are college students are bizarre. its so rare that its pretty easy to ignore but it doesnt make sense both because this is a very obvious coming of age high school type story and because there's not even really anything that racy in the game? (and also theyre all in high school uniforms) like p5 has way more of that stuff and it got released fine. zero idea why the translators felt the need to do that, but from what i can tell they were all japanese so that miiight explain it.

the tl in general is fine, occasional stiffness aside, but that's one really weird choice.

I wonder if that was part of targeting a T rating, instead of an M? It's also Pegi12 instead of Pegi16. It's still absurd but it's all I can think of

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m definitely binging PSIV hard right now, I already beat Dark Force the second time. I really dig how the story ties in with PSI & II and just acknowledges that PSIII happened in an optional area. Actually PSIII is happening at the same time, right? Since the events of PSI were 2000 years ago in both games?

Yeah, I think according to the official timeline in the setting book they happen within a few years of each other.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Heya. I’m looking for a good Switch rpg I can kinda mindlessly play while catching up on a massive podcast backlog. I own most of the rpgs on Switch just have bounced off some for dumb reasons. I love big expansive worlds fairly easy gameplay, big fan of old school turn based gameplay. I’m thinking DQ 11 but god that horns blaring music that plays every ten seconds.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Max Wilco posted:

A question I asked a while ago, but either got missed, or I missed the reply to it: Is there a good step-by-step guide on how to break Star Ocean 2 (specifically the PS1 version)? I remember reading that you can trivialize a lot of the late-game stuff if you build certain skills and get certain items at the start, but there's three-dozen or so guides on GameFAQs, and I'm not sure which is the best or most straightforward to follow.
This is by no means comprehensive, but it does cover a few things that make most of the game very very easy.

https://gameplay.tips/guides/12551-star-ocean-the-second-story.html

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I wonder if that was part of targeting a T rating, instead of an M? It's also Pegi12 instead of Pegi16. It's still absurd but it's all I can think of
Tokyo Xanadu got a T and it's at about the same level Blue Reflection is at, and it openly called the characters high schoolers. Heck, there's even an arc about drugs which feels like it'd be a ratings worry, but it skated by. Maybe someone on Gust's JP side got jumpy and mandated it for no real reason.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
The only thing I can think of is that the alt outfits in blue reflection 2 in DLC are somewhat racier?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

OneDeadman posted:

The only thing I can think of is that the alt outfits in blue reflection 2 in DLC are somewhat racier?
can't imagine any of them are as bad as some of plachta's in sophie

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I've always thought Chaz's line at the crash site about how the ships that left the system "are still continuing their journey, somewhere in the universe" feels more evocative if it's meant to directly reference the ship from PSIII and not just all the escaped ships in general. I also like to think that line could connect the later spinoffs to the original series, if only by wild tangent, like maybe the origin point of the Pioneer expeditions in PSO was a planet settled by another one of those ships, if Dark Force didn't smoke them all.

There may also be some variation depending on which of PSIII's generation routes and endings is considered canon, if there even is one, I don't think I've ever seen anything official about that. One ending puts them at Earth after going through a black hole, which led to some fun time travel paradox theories, considering how PSII ended and who built Mother Brain.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Disappointing Pie posted:

Heya. I’m looking for a good Switch rpg I can kinda mindlessly play while catching up on a massive podcast backlog. I own most of the rpgs on Switch just have bounced off some for dumb reasons. I love big expansive worlds fairly easy gameplay, big fan of old school turn based gameplay. I’m thinking DQ 11 but god that horns blaring music that plays every ten seconds.

Good news: in the Switch version of Dragon Quest 11, you can replace the bad brassy overworld music with the much more gentle overworld music from DQ8.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

This is by no means comprehensive, but it does cover a few things that make most of the game very very easy.

https://gameplay.tips/guides/12551-star-ocean-the-second-story.html

Thanks. Like I said, there's a lot of guides, so having something that boils it down to some general points helps.

The write-up has some typos that make it a bit confusing to read, but from what I read on this page and in the FAQs/videos I looked at, you:

• Reset until Claude/Rena get a high Dexterity roll
  • Recruit Opera instead of Ashton
  • Get Sensibility 1 and 2
  • Level up Courage and Poker Face for high Pickpocket
  • Get $40,000 and buy the Bandit Gloves
  • Pickpocket Filia to get 'Mischief'
  • Go to Marze and pickpocket the Treasure Chest to get the Marvel Sword
  • Use Mischief to get the Forged Medal item
  • Level up the Reproduction skill to duplicate Forged Medal to get characters to Lvl. 100
  • Recruit Chisato

Probably missing a few things, but that's the general gist that I got. I'm mostly thinking in terms of the main game; not so much the post-game/super-dungeon content. I think I'm going to play as Claude, and I know that one character gets locked out depending on whether you pick Claude or Rena, but I don't know who.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 6, 2021

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Max Wilco posted:

Thanks. Like I said, there's a lot of guides, so having something that boils it down to some general points helps.

The write-up has some typos that make it a bit confusing to read, but from what I read on this page and in the FAQs/videos I looked at, you:

• Level up the Reproduction skill to duplicate Forged Medal to get characters to Lvl. 100
  • Recruit Chisato

Probably missing a few things, but that's the general gist that I got. I'm mostly thinking in terms of the main game; not so much the post-game/super-dungeon content. I think I'm going to play as Claude, and I know that one character gets locked out depending on whether you pick Claude or Rena, but I don't know who.

If you pick Claude, you get to recruit Leon. If pick Rena, you get to recruit Dias

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

If you pick Claude, you get to recruit Leon. If pick Rena, you get to recruit Dias

From what I found, it sounds like neither character is fantastic, but Dias is a bit better than Leon, because the latter is a offensive magic character, and offensive magic falls off later in the game (or isn't great overall).

Is it worth it to check out the other games in the series? I remember someone here said SO1 is on the bland side, and I've not really heard anything about SO3 and SO4, aside from SO3's plot twist.

I heard that there's a new one coming out next year (The Divine Force), which I think part of what's prompting me to try playing the second game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

<getting all medals in Star Ocean 3 rant.txt>

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OneDeadman posted:

I wouldn't be that surprised if it had something to do with all the homoerotic vibes, or it could have been a genuine mistake from out of context lines maybe. Not familiar enough with the various japanese words for different kinds of school to offer any real insight but I can't think of anything else.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

The Ashton vs Opera debate has been around since the original PSX game's release because both are good. Ernest is the one who people usually wanted to ditch when grabbing Opera though I heard he got buffed in the Second Evolution rerelease.

If you play as Rena, you can run the sword boys comp with Claude + Ashton + Dias + Rena/flex to maul everything endgame
If you're recruiting Precis, she will miss an attack she learns from Ashton

You don't really need healing by endgame when you're running around with crafted equipment

chisato owns though

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 6, 2021

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Max Wilco posted:

• Recruit Chisato

To clarify, the guide means Dexterity the talent, not the stat - talents improve your odds at different skills (as in "1% to 80%" improve), and Dexterity is the one for Pickpocket.

Also the actual two things that will break the game are:
  • Max out Perseverance (the "all skills cost less" skill) on every character first - most of your skills now cost 1SP each, so you can mess around with all of the crafting skills to your heart's content.
  • Get the Sharp Edge after the Lacours tournament, find two mithril somewhere, customize the Sharp Edge into a Minus Sword and from there into the Eternal Sphere (the Marvel Sword mostly exists to cover the early game until you get here). Claude can now solo nearly every fight in the game.
Definitely do not recruit Opera over Ashton solely to spend god knows how long grinding a healing spell you will literally never have a use for if you follow the other tips that guide is saying (seriously in all the Ashton vs Opera stuff I've seen that might be the worst argument yet). Just recruit whoever you want, let Claude and his hundred attacks per second take care of everything. Or if you really want to disrespect the game, go Claude/Ashton/Precis (or Dias if Rena's the main) and let them stun lock the final boss's entire health bar.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

barrel

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
That Precis and Ashton thing you mentioned (Never played a Star Ocean before, so the most I know is 3's big twist and that Edge Maverick is a really dumb protag), but it reminded me of a system I like in games that I wish I saw more of:

I've always found the idea of party members helping each other by teaching each other skills an interesting concept to build an RPG around. The other example I can think of is the Skill Link system from Xenoblade. You could build it based on an affinity system but you don't have to.

Now, obviously, there could be a problem with it making every character roughly similar, at least within their basic groups (physical attackers and mages) but I always thought the solution should be simple: This system can make characters more well-rounded, and help carve off their weaknesses, but someone should never become stronger than the dedicated specialist by learning from them.

The basic example in my mind for that would be something to the effect of "The party mage can teach the dedicated healer some basic offensive magic-but the healer, Light-based magic possibly aside, wouldn't be able to learn all-targeting offensive elemental magic, just stronger single-target spells." The thief might be able to learn some damage mitigation from the tank, but that shouldn't mean the thief stops being a fragile glass cannon, etc. etc.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

FFX's spheregrid was kinda that by the second half of the game.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Suikoden 5 has certain characters you can recruit that act as skill tutors, though I can't remember how exactly

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Disgaea has a skill system whereby Mentors learn skills from Pupils. Considering the games are set in literal Hell dimensions full of Saturday morning cartoon villains, the idea that powerful demons recruit "pupils" in order to rob them of their talents and claim credit for their successes makes more sense than you'd think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

You had to use Mortals to teach Immortals skills in Lost Odyssey.