Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

piano chimp posted:

It has been nice seeing the 1-50 zones being busy but I have had difficulty getting groups for dungeons, though that's probably because I'm playing at weird times.

I've frozen my level at 51 so I can slowly make my way through the volume 1 books before hitting Moria. I've really enjoyed it so far and like how they've been bending the limits of the source material to create some interesting stories. My only gripe is that every other book mission seems to end in you fighting the big bad to about 10% HP before they pull out some reverse Uno card, stun you and then gently caress off into the night. It's really unsatisfying and completely over-used. I hope it's not like this in Moria+.

Yeah, the dungeons are the one big sore spot. There are a few that they've added an extra mechanic to to make solo-able, but I'm not quite sure how to define it . I found it in the side-quest you get at the tail end of Book 1, where you discover the ghost of a dead king and Aragorn and Elrond are all "oh gently caress he's still around? He was a chill dude, go see if you can figure out how to help him find peace" and then you gently caress off back to the Arctic for a bit.

Basically the dungeon still has the insane 1m+ HP bosses, but they give you a follower buddy that you summon with a horn like it's a skirmish, and he buffs the poo poo out of you. It gets a tad bit tedious whittling down the bosses, but honestly not TOO tedious. It's treading on the line, but right about when you're about ready to really be done they keel over.

Really neat little story, really cool lore, and just satisfying as gently caress. I think I got a pretty beastly weapon from it too, if it's the quest reward I'm thinking of.

A lot of the old instances, though, don't have that. I really wish they'd add that mechanic for a few of the big ones, especially the one where you go off to recover the simiril to reforge Narsil. That one I've read you can solo once you hit lvl 70-ish or so, especially if you are a class with good AOE, so that's my plan. It will be a little out of order, but whatever.

My rule of thumb has been that anything that's rated for a small fellowship I can solo witout too much drama, but the full fellowship ones are too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Having a daily roulette like Ff14 would be amazing. Really any reason to incentivize running the older group content.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

That's the one thing I really wish was a thing because it's a hassle sometimes to put a group together.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Quick question about the new legendary system:

I assume all the +experience rewards you get from quests are basically pointless now? I've also got a couple tokens sitting around for +60k legendary experience here and there, I'm guessing those are trash too?

From what I can tell you use some little consumables to level up traceries, and then every 5 levels or so reforge the weapon to level it up with you. That the broad strokes?

FWIW I like this new system form what I'm seeing. Way better than burning piles of "irreplicable weapons from another age" in order to marginally increase another one.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
There's supposed to be a LI Reward Track coming Soon-ish for the LI XP. Doesn't do any good if you get quest experience now, though.

I'm starting fresh with a Beorning so hopefully all that's straightened out, more or less, by the time I get to Moria.

Cyrano4747 posted:

FWIW I like this new system form what I'm seeing. Way better than burning piles of "irreplicable weapons from another age" in order to marginally increase another one.

I always hated that part. I'm glad we just get a weapon and it grows with us now.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DryGoods posted:

There's supposed to be a LI Reward Track coming Soon-ish for the LI XP. Doesn't do any good if you get quest experience now, though.

I'm starting fresh with a Beorning so hopefully all that's straightened out, more or less, by the time I get to Moria.

Meh, I'm not too worried about that. I figure even if I flush 20 or 30 levels of item xp down the toilet there's always more. That poo poo tend to scale up hard at higher levels anyways, assuming that the LI XP is anything like character XP.

I mean, gently caress, how many levels would you lose off your average lvl 60 if you magically deleted all the XP you earned at lvl 10 and below? Like. . . half a level? One, maybe?

Clarence
May 3, 2012

TIL: The Bird and Baby inn in Michel Delving is named after the Eagle and Child pub in Oxford where Tolkein used to drink. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eagle_and_Child

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Is there any use for essences in the new LI system? Can you burn them or disenchant them or whatever? Or are they just vendor trash?

edit: same question for the lore stones with stored LI xp.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 5, 2021

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Essences go into armor; you won't need to worry about them until close to the level cap.

By the way save the item XP stones you loot/get from quests, as they will eventually be used to level up legendary items; the developers added them as a stopgap since the system wasn't done in time for the expansion.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

I finished Volume 1 today whilst waiting in the queue for FFXIV and I thought the ending was great. The chain itself however is let down by some fairly dry session play instances. I just don't find using another character that interesting and there were a lot of sessions to slog through. Worth it to see the finale though.

I am now finally hitting Moria and the environment and quest design is remarkably improved - everything seems a bit more HD and modern. The music is also fantastic and really reminds me of the score from the films.

I imagine this is the last bit of daylight I'll be seeing for a while!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Moria really is fantastic. I agree that most session plays are annoying but there are a few gems.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Lum_ posted:

Essences go into armor; you won't need to worry about them until close to the level cap.

By the way save the item XP stones you loot/get from quests, as they will eventually be used to level up legendary items; the developers added them as a stopgap since the system wasn't done in time for the expansion.
Do you have a source for the item XP runes comment? I just brushed up on the new LIs yesterday, and vendored a pile of XP runes and random essences. (but i'm still in Moria so could start saving)

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?690362-Ok-SSG-there-s-literally-no-excuse&p=8104291#post8104291

LOTRO Producer posted:

We're planning to switch over Gundabad quests that reward LIXP to reward LIXP runes instead, until the Reward Track is released.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Ah I see - there is a "reward track" that is still in the oven. I doubt the stuff that I vendored would make much of a dent at higher levels, but i can see how the lvl 130 folks would be frustrated.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Last time I played was 2018 I think, the Iron Hills stuff? I've been catching up on the new LI system, or trying to. The main thing I don't understand - what do you do with your old LIs?

Is this purely "make a new one from scratch" now, buying stuff from a room in Rivendale? Or do you reforge your current old ones?

My character is 115 pretty sure. I had just done the Iron Hills stuff I think, so quite a bit to catch up on. Thinking I'll probably play for a bit over holiday break.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Was the Minas Morgul content free for a while in 2020 or something? I’m 130 and did through black book chapter 14.5 but it’s saying I never bought the expansion. Just trying to remember what I did and if it matters if I want to hop back into the new stuff.

E: I know I never did war of the three peaks, will that stuff be important to know going in? I’m assuming it will be.

Kaysette fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 6, 2021

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

xZAOx posted:

Is this purely "make a new one from scratch" now, buying stuff from a room in Rivendale? Or do you reforge your current old ones?

Yeah, pretty much. There's a button to get traceries based on your old LIs. Aside from that, they are going to use the LI xp items in the new battle pass system or whatever it is, which won't be out until 2022. They dropped some info on that in a live stream I guess but I haven't seen a breakdown of anything so the only thing I know is that it will be account wide and unlocks stuff (hopefully cosmetics etc)

Blackdog420 posted:

Apparently I'm still in Nazgun but no one seems to have logged in for a very long time. Is there a Goon guild in this game anymore?

I'm in Nazgun as well and I see a person on here and there, but I don't even know if I can invite. I keep meaning to go back and play my man captain but now that Endwalker is out I doubt it will happen for awhile.

Kaysette posted:

Was the Minas Morgul content free for a while in 2020 or something?

I think there was a period where it was free for like 2 months. Probably related to the pandemic, actually.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Minas Morgul was never included in the giveaway, AFAIK. The recent sale was the first time I’ve even seen it discounted.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

xZAOx posted:

Last time I played was 2018 I think, the Iron Hills stuff? I've been catching up on the new LI system, or trying to. The main thing I don't understand - what do you do with your old LIs?

My character is 115 pretty sure. I had just done the Iron Hills stuff I think, so quite a bit to catch up on. Thinking I'll probably play for a bit over holiday break.

You "extract" stuff from your existing ones and use that to build new ones in Rivendell, but as far as I could tell you can't do anything with your old ones, so I just tossed them.

Kaysette posted:

Was the Minas Morgul content free for a while in 2020 or something? I’m 130 and did through black book chapter 14.5 but it’s saying I never bought the expansion. Just trying to remember what I did and if it matters if I want to hop back into the new stuff.

E: I know I never did war of the three peaks, will that stuff be important to know going in? I’m assuming it will be.

I never had Minas Morgul, but I was able to finish the Black Book quests. They're like the old Epic quests- everyone gets them.

You also get the Blood of Azog and Dwarf Epic quests, which are pretty substantial. And if you got the giveaway you get "The Fall of Khazad-dûm" raid, which seems to give pretty high-level equipment, though I suspect the Gundabad stuff beats it.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Minas Morgul was free to play for a few months last summer when they opened up all the content to everyone. It wasn’t included in any of the giveaway codes later on though.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, all the quest packs have the giveaway code for a little bit longer. All the expansions starting with Mordor and older were 99 cents each, but I think that's over. The last 3 expacs (Minas Morgul, War of the Three Peaks, and now Gundabad) are full price.

MM and WTP were on sale for Black Friday, and I suspect there will be an xmas sale that will include them again. I'll probably pick them up at that point.

I noticed those 3 don't seem to have the option to buy just the expac quests anymore, which sucks.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

xZAOx posted:

I noticed those 3 don't seem to have the option to buy just the expac quests anymore, which sucks.

Probably because the content is now in the LOTRO store for LOTRO bucks.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Is it just me or is the new LI system incredibly obtuse?

I mean the basics are OK. Get item, reforge item every few levels to make number bigger, slot in poo poo. OK, so far so good.

But I just went on an epic journey through a wiki to figure out how to get new, better poo poo to slot in the holes in my sword.

Ok, so I can't figure out where to buy these word of craft traceries, and I've got this class item that could use a heraldic one as well. Good enough place to start. Well, the tutorial missions when I got it at the start of Moria took me to the reforge guys so Im' guessing one of them sells them.

Nope.

Google tells me that it's this vendor no one ever told me about hidden in a corner of Elrond's pad in Rivendell. Ok, that's not great, maybe mention that somewhere. So I find the lady and . . . she sells weapons. Ohhhh. . . these bookshelves are technically stores too. okaaaayy. . . . but I need ancient script. More google and wiki stuff tells me apparently I get it from disenchanting traceries I already have. Hrm, ok, I stumbled on some repeatable quests in moria that let me get some so I've got a few extra, and it looks like I get them via disenchanting them. No biggie, I remember my old main has an "appraise" dialog to burn his old LIs so that must be it, right?

No.

Ok, more googling and it turns out that I need to use a flame of alchenar on each one I want to burn. A consumable item to disenchant things I'm going to presumably be getting enough of that it's going to take like 3-5 of them to buy a new thing? That's. . . . not great but whatever. So obviously they must sell those at the reforge dudes, right? Or maybe even in that store that Elrond's got above the cafeteria now, that would make sense!

No. It's a seemingly random assortment of vendors that are no where near the places I need to spend this crap.

:psyduck:

I get that this is all new systems etc and I dig the core of what they're doing, but wow. Some of this is pretty dense. Like, just let me toss these things in a burn menu with the LI and relic stuff. I mean, hell, you already have a relic burning menu. Just do that again.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

I get that this is all new systems etc and I dig the core of what they're doing, but wow. Some of this is pretty dense. Like, just let me toss these things in a burn menu with the LI and relic stuff. I mean, hell, you already have a relic burning menu. Just do that again.
That was literally me last Saturday! Although I happened to have the disenchant item in my vault for some reason?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is it just me or is the new LI system incredibly obtuse?

I was messing around leveling my captain a few weeks ago when it first dropped, and after reading up on it a bit, I just decided not to bother logging back in until they get their poo poo together.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

I was messing around leveling my captain a few weeks ago when it first dropped, and after reading up on it a bit, I just decided not to bother logging back in until they get their poo poo together.

The kicker is that it has the guts of a good system, at the very least way better than the old one they had where you were constantly leveling and burning "priceless artifacts of bygone ages."

It just feels extremely first draft, like the kind of thing you'd throw at alpha testers with a 10 page pdf of notes and explanations to solidify the fundamentals before integrating the COL poo poo that makes it workable for the average player.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Not having to cycle through a million legendaries is nice, but they did gently caress all to introduce the system properly in-game. If you didn't happen to read the blog post about going to Rivendell, you would be pretty screwed

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I was always amused by the old LI system throwing third age LIs at you in Moria, a place that fell during the second age. Sure, maybe some of those could be stuff that got looted during Balin's attempt to retake Moria but his army wasn't all armed with a bunch of legendary-grade gear.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

I was always amused by the old LI system throwing third age LIs at you in Moria, a place that fell during the second age. Sure, maybe some of those could be stuff that got looted during Balin's attempt to retake Moria but his army wasn't all armed with a bunch of legendary-grade gear.

I mean, I can think of another group of dwarves who just happened to find a random crate of legendary poo poo behind a bush and used them to tool up to beat down an anime tentacle monster :haw:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Seriously, though, the way they give you your LI at Moria - which is basically the same in the new system as the old one, minus a side trip to Rivendell IIRC - is kinda lame.

You're getting a loving ~*~Legendary weapon from a bygone age~*~ that everyone around you is like OH SHIIII- go hit that loving giant rear end awful monster in the face with it! It loving screams to have a neat little mini-quest arc where you go recover it from the depths of a haunted crypt or find it clutched in the grasp of the dead hands of a legendary warrior next to the lair of some hosed up monster you need to kill or take it from the corpse of a orc warband leader or loving SOMETHING. Like, "you just killed something big or did something cool, look at this awesome Sword of +5 Asskicking" is a staple of RPGs as a genre to the point where it's pretty trite and people go out of their way to find ways to mix it up. Still, it's just satisfying to finish chaos dunking some big bad and take their poo poo.

But no, the dwarves who we just helped engage in a fighting retreat from an eldritch horror just tell you "oh yeah, we found a whole crate of these ancient weapons in the weeds, they look pretty sharp, here take your pick of like two dozen types we have available - I bet those could get through the hide of that Cthulhu in the pond"

It's so, so anti-climactic.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Seriously, though, the way they give you your LI at Moria - which is basically the same in the new system as the old one, minus a side trip to Rivendell IIRC - is kinda lame.

You're getting a loving ~*~Legendary weapon from a bygone age~*~ that everyone around you is like OH SHIIII- go hit that loving giant rear end awful monster in the face with it! It loving screams to have a neat little mini-quest arc where you go recover it from the depths of a haunted crypt or find it clutched in the grasp of the dead hands of a legendary warrior next to the lair of some hosed up monster you need to kill or take it from the corpse of a orc warband leader or loving SOMETHING. Like, "you just killed something big or did something cool, look at this awesome Sword of +5 Asskicking" is a staple of RPGs as a genre to the point where it's pretty trite and people go out of their way to find ways to mix it up. Still, it's just satisfying to finish chaos dunking some big bad and take their poo poo.

But no, the dwarves who we just helped engage in a fighting retreat from an eldritch horror just tell you "oh yeah, we found a whole crate of these ancient weapons in the weeds, they look pretty sharp, here take your pick of like two dozen types we have available - I bet those could get through the hide of that Cthulhu in the pond"

It's so, so anti-climactic.
Ha ha the old system actually did this when I entered Moria back in the spring. You had to take a beat up recovered weapon and restore it to its former glory.

But yes the mechanics of getting 100 of them and throwing them all in the trash is not super lore friendly.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

The new system is definitely an improvement from "level up this weapon and then throw it in the woodchipper" but everything else about it is kind of a wreck. The biggest fault is that the UI for it is atrocious. I hope it's something they improve in u32 or sooner but I'm not even seeing updates to it on their radar. It's bizarre. Maybe it will come when they put that account pass thing in place?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
The UI is so, so goofy, but they've also boxed themselves into a bit of a corner. They want you to be able to see all the stats from your LI at once, but then you have effectively 10 or whatever essences you're plopping into it, and each adds multiple stats that you need to see.

Feels like part of the solution is to just cut down on how many "traceries" (what a terrible name) the thing takes. Skimming some reviews of the system, I saw some complaints that it was hard to even find enough that had value anyways for a given build.

But then we get to what really drove me away a couple of years ago - where it feels like the design is heavily impacted by the LOTRO shop, and they want all these "traceries" because each one has multiple things you can buy on the shop to help deal with. Maybe it doesn't though, I haven't fired it up in game myself yet.

Last time it was the essence system that made me fed up, it was so tedious and felt designed to make you buy stuff from the shop to be able to swap them and what not without just destroying them constantly. I can't remember the exact specifics though - it at like the Iron Hills time period.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
It's also from leveraging the essences UI because writing a new UI that was clearer was too difficult (same reason the UI doesn't scale and is difficult/impossible to use with 4K monitors)

I'm just guessing on that but I also know designer stopgap UIs when I see them, having written plenty of my own (I did DAOC's item levelling UI entirely in a text window, complete with [---*-------] bars)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'm 115. Traceries are at various intervals from the barter, but they're off by one (106, 116, etc).

Is it worth just continuing with my old LIs until 116 before buying traceries? Although I did unequip them, not sure if you can reequip.

Similar to that, is it worth spending that extra rarer currency to get teals now (1 per), or just go with purple for now, and don't bother upgrading them again until level cap? Unless I get quest rewards or whatever of course.

Edit: Oh, realized that the rarer currency is tiered, and obviously my old weapons only give low tiers anyways. Ancient scripts are abundant, at least when you have 10 LIs to appraise (about 35k is what I'll get, stupid 10k cap). I'll probably just continue with my old ones until 116 at least though.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 11, 2021

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Carrying craft alls are on sale, if you've got some extra LOTRO Bux burning a hole in your pocket.

I'm sure this is just me being gone for a long time and old as gently caress news, but goddamn getting a large one of those was one of the biggest QOL improvements i've had in a while.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

From a bit ago but this has stuck in the back of my head for some reason.

Moria fell in the middle of the third age, almost exactly between the ring getting lost at the end of the 2A and the War of the Ring at the end of the 3A.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

https://lotro.com/en/game/articles/letter-producer-raninia-%E2%80%93december-2021

They're adding a new 40-45 zone by the Trollshaws in the next update.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Anyone else playing on Treebeard? I'm playing for the first time since 2015 and am looking for a slow, casual experience of Middle-Earth to visit throughout 2022 and the pace and culture of this server feels perfect. Moria comes out on the 5th of January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Got through Where Dragons Dwell, through the first couple of towns on Vales of Anduin. It's all very much still typical stuff, but boy do I still love their landscapes. Although the Radagast questline in the Grey Mountains can go to hell - they know better than to make things that tedious (talk to Radagast, run down the hill, through the forest, go to the place, do the stuff....go back to him, just to return back to exactly where you were, but 3-4 times in a row). Other than that it was all enjoyable.

Getting used to the new LI system too. It's better than the imbuement system, but it still has some pretty stupid stuff. Like...traceries have a MAX level? So they'll just stop working if you don't keep upgrading them. That's really really dumb. I know the percentage boosts are consistent, but the stat jumps for higher tiers are enormous. People will want to do that, but you shouldn't double-down on just bricking people's stuff because you want them to grind more ancient scripts or whatever.

Glad I had my 10 LI slots with stuff, that's made keeping my LI decent not too tough at least. I'm thinking I'll save my last one to appraise once I hit 131 so that I'll get some of the tokens for teal traceries at that level.

The essence system still sucks too. How do people recommend getting decent ones to just toss in while leveling? I have some motes of enchantment, can those be used to at least get the stats I want? I can only find 115 on the wiki with those. Maybe that's the only non-craft avenue?

Note that I won't be able to craft them. I stopped grinding crafting when the "Anorien" tier was released, and I've enjoyed the game much more since.