Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Just want to pick people's brains on how likely an acquaintance is likely to get back into the country - he chose to fly back to the states for a family funeral.

He's American, and arrived here on a spousal visa with his wife (originally American, now has an EU nationality) in 2016. I'm presuming it got renewed sometime in 2018.

They split up in the covid times, and he finally, just under a year later moved out of the flat (via A&E ) and onto the sofa of a mutual friend.

Whilst the wife didn't tell the HO that they've split up, I can't see her bothering to have renewed the visa again, and I think it would have expired sometime this year.

He found a job in July (as a cleaner, so it's neither well paid nor 'skilled'), but I don't think it qualifies for a working visa. He's also still living on a sofa rather than having a permanent home.

Best case really is that he decides to stay in the states and we ship his various belongings to him, but if he decides to come back, is he likely to be able to get back in?

Cat Tax

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

fuctifino posted:

Andrew Neil posted some factually correct vaccine stuff, and is being attacked for it.

Dammit, whenever that name is mentioned my brain now immediately plays the little song münecat made about GB News…

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The state of this

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Man, this country makes people deranged

the last few years especially so

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
That videos pretty horrible all round really. Don't think that it's really illustrative of anything other than that drugs and/or poor mental health can really gently caress you up, and that the police are incredibly poorly equipped to deal with it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And that modern masculinity gives some men few avenues to communicate other than kicking each other through a busted up window.
And that some modern UPVC doors are far more poo poo than what the fitters claim.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

The state of this

You'd think the police would be a little more careful with putting sex offenders in uniform these days.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

The state of this

Looks like he tasered himself in the balls...... and quite liked it. :byodood:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

smellmycheese posted:

The state of this

didn't it come out that the weird dress up role play is some hair brained scheme along the lines of the power stance poo poo

it's either the work of geniuses or aliens or alien geniuses

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
the taste. of. his. cherry chapstick

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
if you don't provide proper schemes for the young people where they can learn important life skills such as writing a strongly worded letter to put across their point of view, then grown half-nekit men vandalising people's modern PVCed double-glazing and babbling incoherently about bum-oles is exactly what you end up with imo

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Quick inflation/maths question. I'm trying to work out real-terms wages trends since 2012 for my union ahead of pay negotiations next year, and want to make sure I'm not loving it up.

Basically my approach is taking the historic CPI rates for each year, and multiplying them together to get a "since 2012" adjustment factor.

So, for example, multiplying all the rates from 2012 to 2020 together makes around 20% (thanks, compound growth) which I'd then divide the 2021 salary by to account for all the inflation since 2012. So £43,153 in 2021 pounds is worth about £35,907 in 2012 pounds, meaning someone who's had that "raise" is actually worse off in real terms than they were on their salary of £37,960 back in 2012.

Does that make sense or am I making some horrible error?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

The Perfect Element posted:

That videos pretty horrible all round really. Don't think that it's really illustrative of anything other than that drugs and/or poor mental health can really gently caress you up, and that the police are incredibly poorly equipped to deal with it.

I'm not sure what else the police could have done in that situation, though I might have preferred a physical tackle to a taser (given the risks that a taser comes with)

That happens afterwards is where the "poorly equipped" will be apparent - there's little chance he's going to get appropriate treatment

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm not sure what else the police could have done in that situation, though I might have preferred a physical tackle to a taser (given the risks that a taser comes with)

That happens afterwards is where the "poorly equipped" will be apparent - there's little chance he's going to get appropriate treatment

I dunno, I'm no expert but surely there's a better approach than 'angry shouty swearing followed by a taser'?

Maybe it's possible a more gentle approach focused on de-escalation could have led to a happier outcome, but as I say, I'm no expert.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I don't think that lad was going to be deescalated.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The bloke was unarmed and not an active threat to anyone, even himself, but was being non-compliant,

I would find a wannabe hardman kicking in my crappy PVC window kinda threatening tbh

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Angrymog posted:

Just want to pick people's brains on how likely an acquaintance is likely to get back into the country - he chose to fly back to the states for a family funeral.

He's American, and arrived here on a spousal visa with his wife (originally American, now has an EU nationality) in 2016. I'm presuming it got renewed sometime in 2018.

They split up in the covid times, and he finally, just under a year later moved out of the flat (via A&E ) and onto the sofa of a mutual friend.

Whilst the wife didn't tell the HO that they've split up, I can't see her bothering to have renewed the visa again, and I think it would have expired sometime this year.

He found a job in July (as a cleaner, so it's neither well paid nor 'skilled'), but I don't think it qualifies for a working visa. He's also still living on a sofa rather than having a permanent home.

Best case really is that he decides to stay in the states and we ship his various belongings to him, but if he decides to come back, is he likely to be able to get back in?

Cat Tax

If he overstayed his visa and got stuck, and doesn't have a current visa, then I'm not sure how he'd legally get back in. He might have to be naughty about it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TACD posted:

Yea basically opening any kind of account is a gamble as to whether I’ll be allowed, most financial institutions just want nothing to do with US persons now. If I don’t get shot of this albatross citizenship I worry I’ll eventually be completely unable to have a bank account.

My suggestion is marrying someone British, it worked for my wife :shobon:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sebzilla posted:

Quick inflation/maths question. I'm trying to work out real-terms wages trends since 2012 for my union ahead of pay negotiations next year, and want to make sure I'm not loving it up.

Basically my approach is taking the historic CPI rates for each year, and multiplying them together to get a "since 2012" adjustment factor.

So, for example, multiplying all the rates from 2012 to 2020 together makes around 20% (thanks, compound growth) which I'd then divide the 2021 salary by to account for all the inflation since 2012. So £43,153 in 2021 pounds is worth about £35,907 in 2012 pounds, meaning someone who's had that "raise" is actually worse off in real terms than they were on their salary of £37,960 back in 2012.

Sounds right but how exactly do you get from 43154 to 35907?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

therattle posted:

Sounds right but how exactly do you get from 43154 to 35907?
Assuming it's not exactly 20%, 43154/1.2 looks about right

Looks right to me seb

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

UK banks can be picky about foreigners without long established residence in general, not just the US.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Borrovan posted:

Looks right to me seb

About right, yep, but just checking.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

sebzilla posted:

Yes, if that salary had risen with inflation of 20% total it would be 45.5k so that’s a real-terms pay cut

e: according to this site it’s been more like 23% since 2012 so that should actually be £46690, and that’s only to 2020: https://inflation.iamkate.com/

Noxville fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 6, 2021

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Borrovan posted:

Looks right to me seb

Yep, 43153/1.201793939 = £35907.15 unless Excel is lying to me.

Thanks, both of you! Turns out we've been getting blasted in the rear end for years, time to get paid.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

didn't it come out that the weird dress up role play is some hair brained scheme along the lines of the power stance poo poo

it's either the work of geniuses or aliens or alien geniuses

Did it need to "come out"? It's transparently obvious. I'm reminded of George Bush palling around in a bomber jacket during the War on Terror.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Angrymog posted:

Cat Tax

He should have a biometric residence permit/BRP. If it says it's valid then it's valid unless the ex-wife has decided to gently caress him. if it's expired the either he applies for a renewal abroad or he gets deported at the border.

Once you actually have a visa it's actually pretty clear cut what you are/aren't allowed to do.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

feedmegin posted:

My suggestion is marrying someone British, it worked for my wife :shobon:
I am British, but having US citizenship as well makes me a ‘US person’ for banks that don’t want to deal with it (many of them).

And I’m planning on marrying someone Irish, gonna get that sweet EU visa eligibility

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
think bigger, move till some country you like and just take over the country :hehe:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
just march in there with your sword and big codpiece like kinge of olde

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

While the savings account thing is entirely new to me, the US has double taxation treatiea with most of the world, where you can deduct taxes paid to one country from tax liability to the other.

Up to a certain income. After that you gotta pay tax, it's 80k-ish in the UK I believe. More importantly, for most people, you are still required to file a US tax return even if you are under the income limit.

The bank account thing (not just savings) is about reporting requirements re: money laundering and stuff and is not just the UK but worldwide, yeah. Banks just don't want to have to deal with that poo poo so it's easier to just deny expatriate Americans local bank accounts.

Meanwhile, every sane country other than I think Eritrea? Only taxes people on income if they are in fact living in said country when earning said income. The US is a massive outlier here, not that that's exactly unusual.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 6, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i would be a goodly king with large beer for all and schemes for the young people

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

think bigger, move till some country you like and just take over the country :hehe:
____________\

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

The BoE have a calculator that will just give you a number and has explanation of all the formula/inputs below

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

crispix posted:

schemes for the young people

I just bet you have.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

What will you tell your grandchildren what it was like living in the shadow of the greatest Briton, Boris Johnson?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This is what Labour wants and more!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

God, 'The Road To Wigan Pier' is hard going. Good old Blair treating the working class as if they're in his own little petri dish, even though he is wishy washily empathic. Oh, and in mortal fear of sharing a bottle with low men.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

I would find a wannabe hardman kicking in my crappy PVC window kinda threatening tbh

At the moment he was tased he wasn't doing that though, and was a good 5 metres away, hence "active" threat.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

sebzilla posted:

an index would normally be published against a base year, so you would not need to multiply a chain of percentages each time (which can rapidly accumulate a rounding error). Instead, just divide once to go from 2012 to "base year", then multiply back to get it back to 2021

UK unions normally favour the RPI instead of the CPI (as the RPI is usually higher, implying a greater inflation rate)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

feedmegin posted:

Up to a certain income. After that you gotta pay tax, it's 80k-ish in the UK I believe. More importantly, for most people, you are still required to file a US tax return even if you are under the income limit.

The bank account thing (not just savings) is about reporting requirements re: money laundering and stuff and is not just the UK but worldwide, yeah. Banks just don't want to have to deal with that poo poo so it's easier to just deny expatriate Americans local bank accounts.

Meanwhile, every sane country other than I think Eritrea? Only taxes people on income if they are in fact living in said country when earning said income. The US is a massive outlier here, not that that's exactly unusual.

Would it surprise you to learn that Israel also does this (in theory)? :v: