Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DzzPDnIKtQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Brawnfire posted:

One time I had my arms full of books so I used my chin to close the drawer on the card catalog, and the librarian told me angrily not to do that.

And I never have again.

Are you not supposed to close the drawer because you're not supposed to return the card because the librarians don't trust people to put them back in the right spot?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

HootTheOwl posted:

Are you not supposed to close the drawer because you're not supposed to return the card because the librarians don't trust people to put them back in the right spot?

I think it's more that they used their chin to do it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

given how internet services have gone to bespoke / customized results, google and co are probably worse than a grandparents encyclopedia set from god knows what decade.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

PhazonLink posted:

given how internet services have gone to bespoke / customized results, google and co are probably worse than a grandparents encyclopedia set from god knows what decade.

Crow: It lists Hitler as a "fairly stable veteran of the Great War."
Mike: Oh, come on, they're not that old. They're fine.
Servo: Oh yeah? It mentions the lightbulb as a "charming theory."
Crow: Yeah! And Congress is spelled with an "f." What is it, Congriff?
Mike: Well, I used them when I was a kid. [Blows dust off a volume] They seemed fine then.
Crow: The periodic table has three elements in it, Mike!
Servo: There's a volume for the letter epsilon.
Crow: There's a mailing address for Macchu Pichu.
Servo: It's got a picture of Stonehenge!
Mike: So?
Servo: Under construction?!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

You just unlocked a trove of lost memories in my brain. I wish all the episodes were available, I loved it.

Were these shown at every school in the late '80s, or just in the South?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

I guarantee every person sharing that picture (and the person who took it, and the person who put the letters on the sign) haven't read a book - or anything longer than a headline - since they left school.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
I'm almost certain that they are referring to high school too, so lol at bragging about passing the easiest part of your life. The part where you almost have to actively try to fail or just not participate at all in order to do so.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I know for a fact I had to work way harder than my parents in school because I was doing advanced mathematics that my parents never imagined having to do. I’m sure my kid’s standards are being moved up earlier than I had to deal with.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Twelve by Pies posted:

Crow: It lists Hitler as a "fairly stable veteran of the Great War."
Mike: Oh, come on, they're not that old. They're fine.
Servo: Oh yeah? It mentions the lightbulb as a "charming theory."
Crow: Yeah! And Congress is spelled with an "f." What is it, Congriff?
Mike: Well, I used them when I was a kid. [Blows dust off a volume] They seemed fine then.
Crow: The periodic table has three elements in it, Mike!
Servo: There's a volume for the letter epsilon.
Crow: There's a mailing address for Macchu Pichu.
Servo: It's got a picture of Stonehenge!
Mike: So?
Servo: Under construction?!

"Wow! 26 pages on Gwen Stefani alone!"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Devorum posted:

You just unlocked a trove of lost memories in my brain. I wish all the episodes were available, I loved it.

Were these shown at every school in the late '80s, or just in the South?

I guess if you've been looking for a reason to donate to PBS, you can get them here:
https://www.pbs.org/show/tomes-talismans/

I watched the series in Arizona in the early 90's, so it definitely got around.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Duck_King posted:

"Wow! 26 pages on Gwen Stefani alone!"

possibly the best episode, even if pumaman is my favorite

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I almost feel physically incapable of pronouncing that any other way than Pew-May-Men. Classic episode, though my favorite will always be Horror At Party Beach.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Near the end of the movie, when Reb Brown lets out a ridiculously feminine scream, and one of them riffs "WHO TOOK MY PURSE?" is I think the hardest I've ever laughed in my life.

The best part of that episode is when I watched it with a friend of mine, the very first thing he said is "Wait, all this spaceship footage is from Battlestar Galactica!" which I had no clue as I never watched that show. I remember years later someone asked them why they didn't make at least one joke about that, and the response from them was just "Oh yeah, I guess we didn't make any jokes about that, oh well."

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Twelve by Pies posted:

Near the end of the movie, when Reb Brown lets out a ridiculously feminine scream, and one of them riffs "WHO TOOK MY PURSE?" is I think the hardest I've ever laughed in my life.

The best part of that episode is when I watched it with a friend of mine, the very first thing he said is "Wait, all this spaceship footage is from Battlestar Galactica!" which I had no clue as I never watched that show. I remember years later someone asked them why they didn't make at least one joke about that, and the response from them was just "Oh yeah, I guess we didn't make any jokes about that, oh well."

The Rifftrax live version of Space Mutiny is almost as good if only because by putting in the scenes cut from the MST3K version you get an even better feeling for just how loving *awful* the film is. They actually did it a favour by trimming out half an hour of mostly even more farting around in the Enforcers/mobility scooters and Obligatory 80s Movie Boobs.

For me the funniest moment is another Reb Brown scream, at the end of the low-speed game of chicken, where he lets out what he's obviously convinced is a very convincing Stallone-style "YAAAARGH", then calmly exits the vehicle. It's up there with Samson's grand entrance for moments that they can't actually make any funnier, they're just so ridiculous on their own.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Not a forward/repost or a meme, but an actual honest-to-god article on a leading national news site.

It contains the direct quote "I am taking my business elsewhere", and even ends with an unironic "Sad."

https://i.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-drink/127161907/the-sausage-rolls-that-turned-me-into-an-excustomer

If you're playing Boomer Bingo along at home, be sure to check these off:
  • "I am going to over-react to a minor inconvenience"
  • "The thing I am reacting to so bigly is somehow simultaneously such a small deal that you should have got it right just for me"
  • "My reaction is the best you could have hoped for and/or the best reaction to the situation - and, if anything, is much less than I'd be entitled to do!"
  • "Your product is so bad, never mind the scale of my tantrum over it"
  • "We consumers have CHOICES, dammit!"
  • "I've been a happy and/or loyal customer for over [xx] years - until NOW!"
  • "I'm never going to shop here again"
  • "Unlike (I presume) your other customers, I give you MONEY in exchange for GOODS and SERVICES"
  • "You are supposed to magic an out-of-stock item because I WANT ONE"
  • "It's just bad business sense"
  • "I'm only being a dick because of your 'attitude' <visible lack of attitude>"
  • "Despite raging so hard I wrote an article about it, I am not mad, just disappointed"
  • "I choose to read your lack of escalation as a lack of understanding just what a big mistake you made"
  • "No, you don't understand - when I said I wouldn't shop here again I meant it!"

And of course, the center square for everyone:
  • "Minimum wage employee should be upset that I will not return and bring my bullshit with me"

simplefish fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 3, 2021

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

simplefish posted:

Not a forward/repost or a meme, but an actual honest-to-god article on a leading national news site.

It contains the direct quote "I am taking my business elsewhere", and even ends with an unironic "Sad."

https://i.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-drink/127161907/the-sausage-rolls-that-turned-me-into-an-excustomer

If you're playing Boomer Bingo along at home, be sure to check these off:
  • "I am going to over-react to a minor inconvenience"
  • "The thing I am reacting to so bigly is somehow simultaneously such a small deal that you should have got it right just for me"
  • "My reaction is the best you could have hoped for and/or the best reaction to the situation - and, if anything, is much less than I'd be entitled to do!"
  • "Your product is so bad, never mind the scale of my tantrum over it"
  • "We consumers have CHOICES, dammit!"
  • "I've been a happy and/or loyal customer for over [xx] years - until NOW!"
  • "I'm never going to shop here again"
  • "Unlike (I presume) your other customers, I give you MONEY in exchange for GOODS and SERVICES"
  • "You are supposed to magic an out-of-stock item because I WANT ONE"
  • "It's just bad business sense"
  • "I'm only being a dick because of your 'attitude' <visible lack of attitude>"
  • "Despite raging so hard I wrote an article about it, I am not mad, just disappointed"
  • "I choose to read your lack of escalation as a lack of understanding just what a big mistake you made"
  • "No, you don't understand - when I said I wouldn't shop here again I meant it!"

And of course, the center square for everyone:
  • "Minimum wage employee should be upset that I will not return and bring my bullshit with me"

JFC.
I thought the grown man I saw pouting and bitching because his Taco Bell order was taking too long for his liking was bad.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

quote:

You see, for some unaccountable reason, I quite like your sausage rolls, even though they are mass-produced. I occasionally buy one if I am in your station getting petrol and fancy a snack.

Good lord the air of condescension here, as if the hourly wage slave puts heart and soul into the food, and you deign to grant them that you sometimes buy it even though it's gross crap.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
What the guy was upset about wasn't the lack of a sausage roll, it was the absence of obsequious bowing and scraping of servile apology from the attendant to his betters

They want wage slaves to be literal slaves

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

DarkHorse posted:

What the guy was upset about wasn't the lack of a sausage roll, it was the absence of obsequious bowing and scraping of servile apology from the attendant to his betters

They want wage slaves to be literal slaves

The end result of Texas textbooks referring to slaves as "workers".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dallas, New Zealand

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

V-Men posted:

The end result of Texas textbooks referring to slaves as "workers".

"The slaves are rioting!"

"Nonono, I don't like that word, name them something else!"

"Prisoners... with jobs?"

"Yes much better"

"...The prisoners with jobs are rioting"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The article also says it was the third time in six weeks so at that point you have to figure the problem is "Oh, maybe there's supply chain issues or something," especially given that the employee's response was a shrug which most people are going to interpret as "What can ya do eh?"

Maybe the employee could have outright said it but they were probably tired of saying the same thing repeatedly to assholes like that guy and they don't get paid enough to care.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Getting some real "pot hurling racial slurs at the kettle" vibes here.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

It's been said many times in this thread, but conservative "humor" is really just imaging someone they don't like being mad about the latest conservative provocation. Have Trump play Alec Baldwin! No, have Kyle Rittenhouse on the show! That'll show those libs, HAW HAW HAW!!!!

You just wonder if these people are capable of enjoying the humor in something that isn't meant to be insulting or cruel, or if that's all that's left to them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

It's why I find the whole "Let's Go Brandon" thing hilarious. They think it triggers the libs but all it does is make them look like idiots. Go ahead and say gently caress Joe Biden, even if we support him we don't worship him.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Medullah posted:

It's why I find the whole "Let's Go Brandon" thing hilarious. They think it triggers the libs but all it does is make them look like idiots. Go ahead and say gently caress Joe Biden, even if we support him we don't worship him.

Let's go Brandon!
..yes?
*Whispering*No I mean gently caress Joe Biden.
Yes I know. gently caress him.
But you can't say that!
We just did? You can, just say it...

Triggered much?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'll work just as hard as Elon Musk did to inherit that sweet conflict emerald money.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

"WHY IS NO ONE WORKING ON GETTING MY TREATS OFF THE FREIGHTS!?"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jesus. How many corpses will it take?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Not political, but man my local Oxford, Mi Facebook forum is full of fun since the shooting last week. Good to know god is rigging football scores instead of, y'know, stopping kids from getting killed.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Ehh, seeing meaning in weird things is part of grieving. so while it is sad to see someone grasping for meaning like that it is also understandable.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Ehh, seeing meaning in weird things is part of grieving. so while it is sad to see someone grasping for meaning like that it is also understandable.

I guess, I'm just sour because it's the same people that are currently arguing "Stricter gun laws wouldn't have prevented this" in the same forums.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Medullah posted:

I guess, I'm just sour because it's the same people that are currently arguing "Stricter gun laws wouldn't have prevented this" in the same forums.

every mass shooting response ever. im in MI too and the limit of my interaction was posting the onion article again and moving on

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

every mass shooting response ever. im in MI too and the limit of my interaction was posting the onion article again and moving on

But did you change your profile picture to show support?

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

jivjov posted:

Jesus. How many corpses will it take?

Sometimes I see things like this and figure it's so goddamn stupid that it has to be some edgy troll posting, but it's been posted by an actual Mississippi State Senator for Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/senatormcdaniel/posts/4748048281925689

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Tequila25 posted:

Sometimes I see things like this and figure it's so goddamn stupid that it has to be some edgy troll posting, but it's been posted by an actual Mississippi State Senator for Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/senatormcdaniel/posts/4748048281925689

Nah, it's to keep manipulating idiots into being proud of showing up for work against their (and everyone else's) best interests so that the boss keeps making all of the money.

"Look at you, what a big strong worker you are, not like those pussies wanting to stay home with the sniffles. Nope, you're a real manly man doing manly work, you don't need no healthcare."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah it's just manipulating tribalism

Liberals are scared of covid because they're womanly pantywaists you aren't a liberal are you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Everyone sharing this thinks they work harder than everyone else at their job.