Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

That Italian Guy posted:

the cartoonishly evil fascists from the show?

Whitecloaks aren't fascists, they're a cult of turbo-puritans. The difference is obvious in Valda objecting to be called sir, the fascists are all about the hierarchy. The witch hunts of 16-17th century are the clear inspiration for them.
But fear not, books have fantasy fascists too, coming later.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

That Italian Guy posted:

Let me get this straight, the "I'm not fascist crowd" have decided to congregate on a subreddit named after the cartoonishly evil fascists from the show? We are through the loving looking glass.

They always do this. They revel in it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Pyromancer posted:

Whitecloaks aren't fascists, they're a cult of turbo-puritans. The difference is obvious in Valda objecting to be called sir, the fascists are all about the hierarchy. The witch hunts of 16-17th century are the obvious inspiration for them.
I mean, there is a decent amount of doctrine about puritanism (and especially neo puritanism) being associated, linked or leading into fascism - The cult of tradition, the fact that disagreement makes you an enemy, the fear of difference, tolerance as a sign of treason, their insistence on using specific terminology, the machismo as disdain for women, the use of populism and fearmongering, etc.

The behavior of Valda in the show is not a 1to1 :umberto: but it definitely embodies a lot of these elements.

Jokes aside, the use of r/whitecloaks is not a coincidence.

EDIT: in fact, in the scene you mentioned, Valda is not doing that out of courtesy or humility: he is forcing Egwene to use his appropriate title even if she is referring to him with a deferential "sir". It's a clear show of power - even if Egwene is already in the worst possible position as far as the balance of power is, Valda is asserting additional control. The enforcement of the correct terminology by someone in a position of power is authoritarian in nature; the use of "familial" and apparently inclusive terms by totalitarian regimes is very common (brother, comrade, compatriot, etc).

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 6, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

At least they're not calling themselves False Dragons and railing on about how they are all unfairly tarred with the brush of having raped the world, and now they have to hide their power level to avoid upsetting the pearl-clutching matriarchy

... *taps earpiece* uh oh

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006

Powered by alcohol

They seemed to really fly through book one so far but I can't remember a whole lot that was skipped and the show even added things. Is Jordan just really wordy?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

longtimelurker posted:

They seemed to really fly through book one so far but I can't remember a whole lot that was skipped and the show even added things. Is Jordan just really wordy?

We skipped a whole city between the Two Rivers and Shadar Logoth and the vast majority of the Egwene/Perrin and Rand/Mat sections between Shadar Logoth and... it was Caemlyn in the books but Tar Valon now. Also almost all of Rand's stuff in the city is gone. To, I think, the detriment of mostly Perrin and Rand. Moiraine, Lan and Nyn have all had their material massively expanded but it's come at the expense of the rest of the cast, for better or worse.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

twistedmentat posted:

I'm confused by a bunch of stuff
A) I still have issues with names
Rand - Generic hero #1
Mat - kinda scuzzy guy who cared about his sisters
Perrin - giant blacksmith
Lan - Rosmund Pikes Warder
But then I'm lost
But what are the names of
Rosemund Pike
Rand's Girlfriend
Rand's Girlfriend's mom
The adorable dog man
The Red Aes Sedai

i think the serial killing Questioner is name Valad?

I don't know if i'm just missing stuff, or they characters names are either so weird they're not sticking or people aren't saying the names enough.

Also question spoilered because it's directly related to the recent episode
Also, Rand and Mat are in the same city as the white tower? They seem to be avoiding going there, even though that was their destination, also how did Rand girlfriend hear that they were in town, and could go visit them without anyone else knowing? Maybe because they were at the funeral they didn't see her leave, but then how would she of known they were staying in a inn outside the tower, they clearly didn't know she was there and to send a message

It felt like a scene was missing there. I can live with the compression of time, because i don't need to see people have endless fixes while on the road when there is a bigger story to be told.

Also, the Questioner may be dead, as his purpose was to awake those twos powers, but i feel like he'll somehow survive being knifed and the wolves will ignore him. He has season one antagonist written all over him.But seriously. gently caress that guy.

Lastly, a few years ago I decided that there were a few things I wanted to know the plots to but knew i'd never bother to play/read so i just found youtube summaries on them, and one of them was the Wheel of time on Civilization EX, which had some really good lore videos about the setting and history. Stuff like the last dragon and Ishmael (which I feel Mat is being set up to be Ishmael 2 and the world in general. Also explained the Source and all that stuff. Helpful but not in depth. For some reason i though Quinn's Ideas had done some stuff on WoT but he only did a single video about the Shadow Prophecy and then a Bene Gesserit vs Aes Sedai one. Seems like hes more sticking with Dune and Hyperion. It Daniel Greene that seems to be the big Wheel of Time youtuber who doesn't seem like a chud. His thumbnails are at least not screaming "More like WOKE OF TIME! 1003 reasons why Wheel of Time is destroying western culture!".

Funny one of the other things i watched were Dark Souls which inspired me to pick up those games again and beat all 3. I guess you just needed the dulcet tones of an Australian to get me to try it again. Though Wheel of Time the books are not something i care to give another try. Unless you can just skip book 1? People say its very Fellowship of the Ring, but its like if Fellowship spend 90% of the book in Hobbiton just going to the inn.

Buddy I don't mean to be toxic here but are you actually even watching the show? I know "goons bad at watching TV" is a meme, but like, seriously lol, it's been 5 episodes the names are not that mysterious.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Also just go to the page for the show on Amazon's website and click Explore and scroll down and they show you every major character and their name and backstory:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B09F5XR38T/ref=atv_sf_cc_dp

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

th3t00t posted:

One of their main points was that they thought Stepin's motivation to kill himself was to save himself having to turn gay with Allana's other warders. Better off dead than gay. I couldn't stand to watch much more. I think I lasted 20 minutes into the 2 hour 48 minute video, and even that was too long.

... wait, what? Like, the show goes out of its way to show that Stepin is consumed by Karene's death, unable to stand the thought of a world without her in it. His chat with Lan is a more bringing it up in a relaxed, jokey "Hey, you never know before you try, right?" interaction where it finally seems like he's coming back to his normal self - like all too many suicides like him - now that he's mind made up to follow through with it.

It has absolutely, literally nothing to do with Ihvon, Maksim and Alanna being a thruple or 'the gay', and everything to do with him having made up his mind.

I seriously do not understand these people.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TLM3101 posted:

... wait, what? Like, the show goes out of its way to show that Stepin is consumed by Karene's death, unable to stand the thought of a world without her in it. His chat with Lan is a more bringing it up in a relaxed, jokey "Hey, you never know before you try, right?" interaction where it finally seems like he's coming back to his normal self - like all too many suicides like him - now that he's mind made up to follow through with it.

It has absolutely, literally nothing to do with Ihvon, Maksim and Alanna being a thruple or 'the gay', and everything to do with him having made up his mind.

They're in denial, op

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

spent yesterday watchinjg tiktok videos filmed in local high schools to see if i can hear anyone saying something dumb. thought i found someone but turned out they were talking aboutthe journey song instead. back on my grind today :dance:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

Buddy I don't mean to be toxic here but are you actually even watching the show? I know "goons bad at watching TV" is a meme, but like, seriously lol, it's been 5 episodes the names are not that mysterious.

Yea, like "How did Nyneave hear they were in town?"

She didn't. Loial went and found her and brought her to Rand Al'Thor, because Ogier have access to the tower grounds and the Two Rivers braid is a distinct rite of passage...

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006

Powered by alcohol

I don't remember the Whitecloaks being so cartoonishly evil.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

longtimelurker posted:

I don't remember the Whitecloaks being so cartoonishly evil.

The Questioners absolutely are- they're the torturer/political officer wing of the organisation- but we don't see a lot of them this early on in the books. It's Bornhald (the more reasonable officer in Ep 2) who captures Egwene and Perrin there.

The show's also cut a couple of scenes where the Whitecloaks are just around hassling people and doing cop poo poo, which probably doesn't help.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

This would perhaps be better discussed in the other thread.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

Also personal opinion, but subtitles are like basically required on a show like this, even if its just for names. So much easier to follow and remember when you get a reminder of names constantly.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

th3t00t posted:

"Red pilled" neck beards ranting about the liberals pushing their agenda down everyone's throats. Oh and don't forget the gays. The gays are pushing their agenda too, every microscopic detail of the show is examined to reveal how it's part of the "gay agenda", which is to turn everyone gay. and DON"T GET ME STARTED ON HOW STRONG THE WOMEN ARE, AND THE MEN ARE WEAK REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Did I mention these nerds are in full larp costume?

Edit:

I haven't watched their show review videos yet, but I like Shad's main channel. Lot of neat medieval knight stuff there.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I haven't watched their show review videos yet, but I like Shad's main channel. Lot of neat medieval knight stuff there.

Does he always have the petulant rage face of a 4 year old child?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this "what if travis mcelroy was an angry chud?" guy seems cool

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYlpNu9mSbc

The only reactions you need. Facts.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I love Adison's puns. They make Dre look like he wants to kill him. It's wonderful.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

maidens of the spear has been good non-chud reviews by mostly women/queer people (+ they've got vic michaelis of UCB/recent comedy bang bang and zach reino of Off Book/CBB/etc doing weekly non-reader reactions, which have been fun)

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah all you need is a tiki torch for that screen grab, Jesus Christ.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

CainFortea posted:

I love Adison's puns. They make Dre look like he wants to kill him. It's wonderful.

I like the names they've come up with for various characters they can't recall off-hand. "Medieval Mick Jagger" for Thom is probably the best of them, but Liandrin being "Sister Strongjaw", Loial being "Brother Book" etc. are good too. That said, they're about the only reaction group I've stuck with, since they're pretty entertaining to watch, have good discussions for 10/15 minutes after an episode and seem like they're just fun guys.

eke out posted:

maidens of the spear has been good non-chud reviews by mostly women/queer people (+ they've got vic michaelis of UCB/recent comedy bang bang and zach reino of Off Book/CBB/etc doing weekly non-reader reactions, which have been fun)

I take it that channel name and the mention of "non-reader reactions" later means the main people have read the books? Is there spoiler stuff in there for later books? I've only looked at stuff marked "non-book reader" so far, personally, because I never finished the last 3 or 4 books and might as well not spoil them now after avoiding it without intention for 10 odd years since the books finished up.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Gully Foyle posted:

Also personal opinion, but subtitles are like basically required on a show like this, even if its just for names. So much easier to follow and remember when you get a reminder of names constantly.
I agree with this. After watching lots of (non-english) foreign language films and series, I almost always leave subtitles on. It makes it so much easier to follow everything,

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

If I watch a show with subtitles I end up reading and not watching. Which is one of the reasons why it's so rarely watch anime.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You get used to it. I was the same, but now it's second nature. I watch everything subtitled now. I miss way too much without.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tsob posted:

I take it that channel name and the mention of "non-reader reactions" later means the main people have read the books? Is there spoiler stuff in there for later books? I've only looked at stuff marked "non-book reader" so far, personally, because I never finished the last 3 or 4 books and might as well not spoil them now after avoiding it without intention for 10 odd years since the books finished up.

yeah i don't think there's like extensive discussion of later books for no reason, but there's definitely spoilers in discussing what's being foreshadowed down the line in the main reviews. but the regular segments with vic/zach are no-spoiler

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

tsob posted:

I like the names they've come up with for various characters they can't recall off-hand. "Medieval Mick Jagger" for Thom is probably the best of them, but Liandrin being "Sister Strongjaw", Loial being "Brother Book" etc. are good too. That said, they're about the only reaction group I've stuck with, since they're pretty entertaining to watch, have good discussions for 10/15 minutes after an episode and seem like they're just fun guys.

The names were pretty hilarious when I saw that too. I was browsing through some reviews last night. The most thematic for this thread was probably pReview'd just because it was two guys, one of which knows the books and one doesn't, so there's a lot of hilarious reaction shots with the one studiously taking it all in and the other being "Oh, that's coming!" Also sometimes trying not to really spoil the other guy and sometimes giving some misdirection to not throw him off too much with some "I was totally bullshitting him here" notes over the video. If it spoils outside the episode content rather than ahead in the same episode I don't know though.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

tsob posted:

I linked their channel in the book thread. They are awesome!

Other nicknames:
Shadow City
Wisdom

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

th3t00t posted:

I linked their channel in the book thread. They are awesome!

Other nicknames:
Shadow City
Wisdom

Brother Hot Tub.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I guess with people mentioning good non-book reader reactions/reviews, you have:

Reactions
  • Everyday Negroes - A bunch of friends chilling and watching a show together
  • Redlaytee - A big fantasy fan who pays a lot of very close attention and makes a ton of theories.
  • pReviewed - A couple of friends, one book reader, one not, who crack a bunch of jokes as they go through.

Review
  • Maidens of the Spear - A book reader asks about a non-booker reader's thoughts about the show. In jokes/terminology gets built, and the episodes are very long with predictions and stuff, so its a ton of fun.
  • Tori Talks - A couple of women who don't really like and consume much fantasy talk about their thoughts.
  • Nerdy Nightly - A couple of fantasy fans talk about their thoughts

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

TLM3101 posted:

Start with what fascists on the internet want to hear about the "Woke," Entertainment.

Work backwards to justify your conclusion.

Ignore any facts which contradict your argument, probably by declaring them Fake News of Liberal Agenda.

Throw in a "Get Woke Go Broke," paragraph somewhere despite that never having been true even once.

Get paid youtube bucks and/or crowdfunding by the hogs for feeding them.

There, now you understand these people.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I think this is a good time for a show based on these particular books to be adapted. I expect the hot takes, especially from people who arent familiar with the books. As long as the show runners get the point i dont care how they get there.

As a side, the Loial scenes with Rand were nice. I also liked that they focused on Logain in the parade scene.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Burns posted:

I think this is a good time for a show based on these particular books to be adapted. I expect the hot takes, especially from people who arent familiar with the books. As long as the show runners get the point i dont care how they get there.

As a side, the Loial scenes with Rand were nice. I also liked that they focused on Logain in the parade scene.

I guess getting his channeling powers removed turned him into the laughing ha ha yes guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmZMOWHoJak

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Sanguinia posted:

Start with what fascists on the internet want to hear about the "Woke," Entertainment.

Work backwards to justify your conclusion.

Ignore any facts which contradict your argument, probably by declaring them Fake News of Liberal Agenda.

Throw in a "Get Woke Go Broke," paragraph somewhere despite that never having been true even once.

Get paid youtube bucks and/or crowdfunding by the hogs for feeding them.

There, now you understand these people.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Oh no sounds like someone's triggered :ohdear:

Burns
May 10, 2008

etalian posted:

I guess getting his channeling powers removed turned him into the laughing ha ha yes guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmZMOWHoJak

Haha. Saying more would require spoilers for book 14.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Rarity posted:

Oh no sounds like someone's triggered :ohdear:

Going to my safe space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

r/whitecloaks

I went to look at this because it's weird to me to develop a community about hating a TV show. It's pretty small, just about 2k subs. This is the top post right now

INSUFFICIENT ROPE COUNT.

He is so obviously not dead.

Where's the third button for "Watch every episode for 10 seasons and complain the whole time"

As far as Shad goes...

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 6, 2021