Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I think that it is fair to question the quality of a game if the act of actually playing it is difficult, which is an issue that I have encountered with Tragedy Looper. Cool idea, would like to see it streamlined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just was really bad at it and they won the first loop :(

I tried to do too many things at once and ended up doing none of them

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
It's a(n unavoidable?) fault of a lot of 1-vs-many games: if the 1 is too weak, or even too strong, it can kill the game for the many.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Holy poo poo dudes, my preorder of food chain magnate just got shipped

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

nonathlon posted:

It's a(n unavoidable?) fault of a lot of 1-vs-many games: if the 1 is too weak, or even too strong, it can kill the game for the many.

Also true of 2 player games or even multiplayer games, but 1v many has the highest leverage.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

please knock Mom! posted:

Holy poo poo dudes, my preorder of food chain magnate just got shipped

Enjoy! It's one of my top 10 games of all time. The digital implementation on boardgamecore is so good though that it makes me think twice at times playing it in person. I feel similarly about some 18xx too :(

Nothing beats in-person though. If you can get at least three people together you're in for a treat.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Anyone here want a copy of OG The Crew? No box but I’ll mail it to ya for free (US only sorry). It’ll make for some great holiday gaming for ya.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Ooh, I'll take it, I love the crew

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

FulsomFrank posted:

Enjoy! It's one of my top 10 games of all time. The digital implementation on boardgamecore is so good though that it makes me think twice at times playing it in person. I feel similarly about some 18xx too :(

Nothing beats in-person though. If you can get at least three people together you're in for a treat.

I can get three people, not sure about three people excited about a 3 hour game featuring building a fast food empire though

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

FulsomFrank posted:

I can't play with the old milestones anymore, wish they'd update the game there.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mayveena posted:

I can't play with the old milestones anymore, wish they'd update the game there.

Still haven't played with the new ones. Maybe if there's time this weekend I can stop myself from shuffling trains and ruthlessly undercut some prices on burgers...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mayveena posted:

Boardgamecore has the new milestones as an option.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

silvergoose posted:

Good! I may go back at some point.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

silvergoose posted:

WHAT SINCE WHEN 🤯

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Bottom Liner posted:

WHAT SINCE WHEN 🤯

At least several months if I remember correctly.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

what am i getting myself in to

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

jarofpiss posted:

what am i getting myself in to

Overpriced titty minis and a mediocre game?

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i love titties

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

is it hard to learn? i ordered this a while back without watching a video of play and kinda forgot about it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jarofpiss posted:

i love titties

What are your feelings on the killing and mutilation of women?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jedit posted:

What are your feelings on the killing and mutilation of women?
Personally, I'm against it!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
drat, and here I was hoping that was a box for a $200, whiskey cask-aged, artisanally prepared bottle of Monster Energy.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

theres more anime in this game than i realized

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

this game also arrived today

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

jarofpiss posted:

theres more anime in this game than i realized

It's entirely a vehicle to sell tiddy miniatures for thousands of dollars.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jarofpiss posted:

this game also arrived today

when you have a type, you have a type

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
King Philip would not approve of such themes.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Don't see a single cyborg on that cover

Shameful

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Don't see a single cyborg on that cover

Shameful

look away from the tiddies to the top left of the cover

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

gschmidl posted:

It's entirely a vehicle to sell tiddy miniatures for thousands of dollars.

I backed this game on Kickstarter called Townsfolk Tussle that has a really really similar aesthetic to cuphead, because I thought the game itself looked neat, and then all the reviews were like "it's KDM, but as a Tex Avery cartoon!". Having never played KDM I obviously have no idea, but it seems like there's a bunch of people like the play style of KDM but don't necessarily want to spend thousands on mutilated titty minis?

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
KDM looks like such a bad game. If it was representative of the hobby, I definitely wouldn't be in it.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

!Klams posted:

I backed this game on Kickstarter called Townsfolk Tussle that has a really really similar aesthetic to cuphead, because I thought the game itself looked neat, and then all the reviews were like "it's KDM, but as a Tex Avery cartoon!". Having never played KDM I obviously have no idea, but it seems like there's a bunch of people like the play style of KDM but don't necessarily want to spend thousands on mutilated titty minis?

Yeah I think the gameplay and mechanics are actually extremely good and find the non - gameplay minis to be incredibly juvenile and gross.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I have a lot of friends who enjoyed KDM and skipped the dicklions entirely.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Best part of KDM is that it has the frostbite dice mechanic from Dead of Winter where you have like a 20% chance of your character just dying randomly to a single dice roll, out of combat. Just a great idea in a big campaign game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

jarofpiss posted:

look away from the tiddies to the top left of the cover

I will not :colbert:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

In all seriousness, the minis used in KDM, in the actual game, aren't that bad, at least the ones I've seen. They're grotesque, pretty uniquely designed, and I think one or two involve breasts? But not in a sexual way, more like the kinds you'd see on a withered harpy or something. I think. It's been a while since I looked through it.

The real problem are the minis and art that are sold separately. Oh also the campaign structure. Fighting a couple dozen fights and hoping after that you're strong enough to not get splatted by the final boss is a real poo poo structure, especially given how long it takes.

Oh also the ending of the game is that you beat the last boss, the light he's holding goes out, and monsters descend and wipe out your entire civilization in the resulting darkness. That's the 'victory'. Great.

Really like the world design, too. Just so fantastically dark, like nothing else.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Oh also the ending of the game is that you beat the last boss, the light he's holding goes out, and monsters descend and wipe out your entire civilization in the resulting darkness. That's the 'victory'. Great.
An industrialization metaphor. Nice.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

King Philip would not approve of such themes.
And then it's

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Bottom Liner posted:

Best part of KDM is that it has the frostbite dice mechanic from Dead of Winter where you have like a 20% chance of your character just dying randomly to a single dice roll, out of combat. Just a great idea in a big campaign game.

This is way overstated though. It is in the game and it's super dumb and poo poo when it comes up, but it's actually a pretty rare occurrence in the game to get something that can randomly kill your character with no mitigation. We always just ignore those events and it doesn't hinder the game in any way. Still bad design however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Having to randomly houserule poo poo on the fly to keep the game from falling apart does, in fact, hinder the game.