Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

There's a reason why elephants don't jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm conditioned to avoid aircraft propeller arcs to the degree that when I'm walking around airplanes in museums I'll still avoid stepping through the propeller.

poo poo, the closest I've ever come to a prop is the two times I climbed up the wing of a T-34 at the local airshow, and I still have an inborn habit of avoiding any potential prop injuries, propwash, intake incidents, or jetwash.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

punishedkissinger posted:

is hobo an occupation? how do they subsist?

have rich parents

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

punishedkissinger posted:

is hobo an occupation? how do they subsist?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
What vegan food is "wild caught"?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's ok to eat hobos because they don't have any feelings.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sanctum posted:

Yeap that's an OSHA nightmare. 7m30s in

"Ill be honest this doesn't feel very... solid"

"But it also feels like what's the worst that could happen?" :lmao:

lol this rules

"the guys who do this, they have to be very safe. there's a high risk of fire at the moment because it is very dry, so he's smoking a cigarette above a jerry can of gasoline"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Tumbleweed

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Azhais posted:

Tumbleweed

That's just sagebrush to-go.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

zedprime posted:

These seem to be scrap cylinders. Usually no gauge, valve is often frozen shut.

You should generally strap them down or at least point it at something you don't like. But you're generally stuck fully sending it in that line work at least occasionally and it will end in a butt pucker some amount of the time you're stuck just going for it. Especially if you're a scrapper in a third world you're gonna get all the poo poo rear end cylinders they didn't easily bleed down.

I'm surprised there isn't, like, a giant saddle valve for safely puncturing these things.

or at least the shittiest drill press ever and a weight to hang from the handle

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Kenning posted:

Strictly speaking, all of these except busking are the purview of tramps, rather than hobos. Remember the following taxonomy:

Hobos travel and work
Tramps travel, but do not work
Bums neither travel nor work

What kind of work is available to hobos nowadays? They used to go door to door and offer to do outside tasks for the woman of the house, ditto ditto businesses, but I'd think that would be just about impossible.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What kind of work is available to hobos nowadays? They used to go door to door and offer to do outside tasks for the woman of the house, ditto ditto businesses, but I'd think that would be just about impossible.

They just steal stuff from every lock that ain't locked when noone's around.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Before the plague you could always get a job washing dishes pretty easily. I imagine there's still stuff like that around. Depends on how long you're in town I guess.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Depends if you're a singin' hobo, or a stabbin' hobo.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I'm deeply concerned about the Prospector to Vagrant Pipeline.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Kenning posted:

Before the plague you could always get a job washing dishes pretty easily. I imagine there's still stuff like that around. Depends on how long you're in town I guess.

In 2009 I lived in nowhere Alaska for a summer and needed a job so I walked around to anywhere that was a business and asked for work.

I ended up washing dishes at a bar.

Never really thought about my hobo days until now.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Kenning posted:

Good point. Given the Great Resignation, there are probably lots of those.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Arsenic Lupin posted:

if by "hobos", you mean "traveling crust punks", then picking seasonal fruit, trimming weed, spanging, busking, playing punk shows, making & selling handicrafts like clothing and jewelry... all this while either living out of vehicles or squatting and eating off of foodstamps, dukspter diving & foodbanks.

there's a lot of oddball ways to make money, they just don't pay well or reliably. it takes a commitment to a certain kind of lifestyle to make it work.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I actually meant people who still identify as "hobos" per se. I think they still have a convention or gathering or whatever.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

HolHorsejob posted:

I'm surprised there isn't, like, a giant saddle valve for safely puncturing these things.

or at least the shittiest drill press ever and a weight to hang from the handle
I think the adept scrapper has a guillotine they can drop from a bunker. You're turning the valve and/or cylinder fully into scrap at that point though when the goal is probably to clean up the cylinder and valve to resell.

E. I've told the story in a past version of the thread, or maybe the chemistry thread, about the refrigerant plant they makes fresh refrigerant, but also recoups heels and leftovers from returned ton cylinders. When a ton cylinder was too rough for customer duty they used them to hold antimony fluoride and HF for superacid catalyst processes. One of these got mixed up and sent to customer as refrigerant. They sent it back because the valve was frozen (dodged a bullet there). Well it weighed full so off to recoup where a guy straps it down and takes the valve off and gets sprayed with antimony, dying days later from the chemical burns. Not everyone gets to dodge that bullet so uhhh better take hazcom seriously.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 6, 2021

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

There are still some train hobos on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EH5LrdMgfM&t=2830s
Not stobe though. Incident not pictured FYI.

quote:

The update to Jim Stobie (Stobe the Hobo) Our friend James Stobie, aka Stobe the Hobo, died Wednesday the 8th of November, 2017. He was trapped on a bridge with an on coming Amtrak train, and while he got to the side of the bridge the best he could, the train caught his backpack and and pulled him into the train. The police identified his remains from fingerprints from the Coast Guard records Friday, and notified his parents.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Jesus Christ.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Speaking of OSHA thread worthy youtube hobos, Check out Shoestring https://www.youtube.com/c/TheHoboShoestring/videos.

From an article on him :

quote:

He was hurt one time while traveling on the Kansas City Southern Railroad in Pittsburg, Kansas. He fell and had a pinky and ring finger on top of the rail. The train ran over his fingers.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Those aren't his fingers any longer. They belong to Union Pacific and BNSF.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Those aren't his fingers any longer. They belong to Union Pacific and BNSF.

And BNSF will probably mishandle disposing of them safely.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Some real OSHA from Stobe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5twd7RVbUVA&t=523s

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Slugworth posted:

hosed up thing is, that's how the other guy ended up in a wheelchair in the first place.

No, it clearly is not.

e: Didn't realize how many pages behind I was

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 6, 2021

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
I hope this has been posted already.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Vt9bom9LE

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Not set to Danger Zone, 2/10

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sormus posted:

I hope this has been posted already.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Vt9bom9LE

I don't think that's real, i think it might be from a video game.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Kenning posted:

Jesus Christ.

Yeah, who the gently caress drinks straight Cointreau from the bottle?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Powershift posted:

I don't think that's real, i think it might be from a video game.

no I was in the military and we did this all the time

69th ForkFuckling Divison AKA "The Iron Forks"

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Farming is a deadly profession:
"Massachusetts woman rammed by sheep dies of injuries"

https://turnto10.com/news/local/massachusetts-woman-rammed-by-sheep-dies-of-injuries

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I actually meant people who still identify as "hobos" per se. I think they still have a convention or gathering or whatever.

I think those are juggalos.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Boat building.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR5jwxJcEGc&t=1042s

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Farming is a deadly profession:
"Massachusetts woman rammed by sheep dies of injuries"

https://turnto10.com/news/local/massachusetts-woman-rammed-by-sheep-dies-of-injuries

Couldn't resist the pun, eh

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Couldn't resist the pun, eh

kind of hosed up to happen on a therapy farm

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 7, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

jesus christ

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/kFLxRIY.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

When my high school chemistry class started doing stuff with fire, we went through a short safety rundown. Part of the process was that, if anyone were to light something on fire that they couldn't control, they were to say, "Code 1, code 1," until the teacher came and helped.

The teacher put the paper down on his podium, sighed, and said, "Just yell that you're on fire. If anyone ever says 'code 1', I will come over there and make sure you're even MORE on fire."