Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Your other problem is your Beast options aren't actually great - the best Beasts have too much Toughness to be viable, you're mostly stuck with the ones who can't take a great hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Mors Rattus posted:

Your other problem is your Beast options aren't actually great - the best Beasts have too much Toughness to be viable, you're mostly stuck with the ones who can't take a great hit.

Yeah, the giant fire lizards, spiders, and orc warbeasts have inflated toughness. If you expand the number of splatbooks involved, then the likelihood of getting a Seraphon warbeast or something that has high but not impossible toughness might get higher. But given the base Soulbound book, I didn't see any super amazing warbeasts that have toughness low enough for PCs.

Wildform gets better the more books you have, and theoretically if you find an ally with 18-20 Toughness things get rude fast, but I guess it isn't going to warp the game too hard.

Maybe if someone gets hopped up on combat drugs that give their base form higher toughness it could become an issue, or you could have a Fyreslayer buddy with a Lava-Zard pet you keep turning into an Arachnarok with a whole new health bar, but at that point it becomes a thing where multiple PCs are combining their gimmicks into something awesome.

EDIT: Champions of Order is the book that gives you the option for a magmadroth friend via Talent, right? Man, I am legit hyped imagining what you might be able to do with a high XP Amber wizard cheerleader. Wouldn't be able to use magic runes, but yelling MAKE MY MONSTER GROW and digi-volving it into a star-type dragon would never get old.

EDIT 2: I did a little googling. Apparently some people with more books than I figured that Stegodon is a decent target for a Beast form that a PC might theoretically become beefy enough to morph into. Also saw some stuff about feeding the dino-morph alchemical combat drugs and rampaging around as an ethereal triceratops.

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 5, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Remember that the ally has to be willing. Your pet that does not actually share language with you, may not want it's body and mind changed. (Basically I personally would not allow transforming a Beast into another Beast unless it was properly intelligent.)

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Are lances or swords better on the stormdrake guard?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

AnEdgelord posted:

Lances are better because you'll always be charging. Still, I'm going to do swords because I'm only getting a couple and I want them to live a little more and swords are more reliable if caught in combat.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Remember that the ally has to be willing. Your pet that does not actually share language with you, may not want it's body and mind changed. (Basically I personally would not allow transforming a Beast into another Beast unless it was properly intelligent.)

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/04/10/fyreslayers-lore-magmadroths/
"Magmadroth are not domesticated – they are more akin to allies of the duardin than mere beasts of burden. Only strong-willed Fyreslayers of noble blood can persuade these creatures to bear them into battle, and conflict between the Fyreslayers and Magmadroths is not uncommon – both, after all, seek to claim the smouldering caverns and tunnels beneath the realms as their own."

Star Drakes and Dracoths can talk.

That's two of the factions... not sure about regular Arachnaroks, but the magic ones from the realm of Spider God are probably smart enough. That probably only matters if Champions of Destruction lets you lean in on being a spider wrangler.

Not sure about phoenixes, Seraphon warbeasts probably aren't smart enough, and the edgelord elf cavalry lizards are also probably not smart enough.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

avoraciopoctules posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/04/10/fyreslayers-lore-magmadroths/
"Magmadroth are not domesticated – they are more akin to allies of the duardin than mere beasts of burden. Only strong-willed Fyreslayers of noble blood can persuade these creatures to bear them into battle, and conflict between the Fyreslayers and Magmadroths is not uncommon – both, after all, seek to claim the smouldering caverns and tunnels beneath the realms as their own."

Star Drakes and Dracoths can talk.

That's two of the factions... not sure about regular Arachnaroks, but the magic ones from the realm of Spider God are probably smart enough. That probably only matters if Champions of Destruction lets you lean in on being a spider wrangler.

Not sure about phoenixes, Seraphon warbeasts probably aren't smart enough, and the edgelord elf cavalry lizards are also probably not smart enough.

The Magmadroth thing reinforces my point. They are not properly controlled, but they are also not actually intelligent and would probably resist some mysterious outside force trying to change their body.
Star Drakes and Dracoths are actually not capable of speaking the common tongue, like Saurus they are not built to be able speak it. However they can understand it and speak their own language, so I do think you could get one of those to transform into another shape.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/12/05/shadow-throne-and-maggotkin-loom-large-in-this-weeks-sunday-preview

New Maggotkin book goes up for pre-order next weekend.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Soublight getting the next White Dwarf update which I was hoping for.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

AnEdgelord posted:

https://twitter.com/season_of_war/status/1467486635541606401?s=21

There’s the math on it

Obviously the lances are better on the charge, but the loss in output otherwise is greater than the gain, especially when buffs are factored in. Lances have 2” range but with how big the bases and the model wingspans are I’m not sure it matters.

Consider also that Seraphon Coalesced are a major player at the moment and lances are just poo poo against that.

I built my 4 with lances yesterday but after seeing that math I’m thinking of swapping

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

So, AoS has at least 3 factions who are all about the blood. Khainite elves who hoard blood in gigantic cauldrons of holding and use it for alchemy, draculas who make sommelier blends and use Spiceblood for currency, and all the Khorne crowd.

How silly would the idea of a blood heist be? I kinda love the image of a Kharadron airship floating over one of the edgelord lakes in Khorne's territory, slurping it up in a giant metal sippy straw, and then zipping off to the auction house with outraged daemons in hot pursuit.

The obvious issue is Chaos stuff being super-corruptive poison pills to doing anything else interesting, but if you can purify the land then maybe you can purify a stolen blood lake too?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

avoraciopoctules posted:

So, AoS has at least 3 factions who are all about the blood. Khainite elves who hoard blood in gigantic cauldrons of holding and use it for alchemy, draculas who make sommelier blends and use Spiceblood for currency, and all the Khorne crowd.

How silly would the idea of a blood heist be? I kinda love the image of a Kharadron airship floating over one of the edgelord lakes in Khorne's territory, slurping it up in a giant metal sippy straw, and then zipping off to the auction house with outraged daemons in hot pursuit.

The obvious issue is Chaos stuff being super-corruptive poison pills to doing anything else interesting, but if you can purify the land then maybe you can purify a stolen blood lake too?

that sounds rad and very fun. Maybe the KO have some alchemist dweeb on hand to purify it.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

In Broken Realms: Morathi, the Daughters of Khaine stole Varanite (the extremely chaotic realmstone of the Eight Points) with some portals inside cauldrons that went to a huge one. And if I recall correctly, Varanite forms when Chaos energy fuses with spilled blood.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Morathi also just lied out of her teeth and called it Khaine’s blood to make it acceptable for her followers to use.

I don’t think the Khornates would care too much about blood being taken from their territory. Blood is just something to be spilled, they don’t actually use the substance for anything in particular.

I don’t think Vampires unless they were very hungry and desperate would want to drink non fresh blood as well unless it was stored properly.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 6, 2021

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

And the survivor of that heist wasn't that alive when he came back either with the stuff to Morathi.

You really, really don't want to be anywhere near Varanite. That stuff is insanely corrupting, somehow managing to be even worse than warpstone.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cooked Auto posted:

And the survivor of that heist wasn't that alive when he came back either with the stuff to Morathi.

You really, really don't want to be anywhere near Varanite. That stuff is insanely corrupting, somehow managing to be even worse than warpstone.

Artifacts of Power says scholars theorize that its the same as Warpstone but representing a different aspect of chaos, corruption to warpstone’s ruination. Varanite is weirdly safer to be in proximity to then Warpstone, as it has no effect on things that are near it. But it is by far the most dangerous to touch.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Morathi also just lied out of her teeth and called it Khaine’s blood to make it acceptable for her followers to use.

I don’t think the Khornates would care too much about blood being taken from their territory. Blood is just something to be spilled, they don’t actually use the substance for anything in particular.

I don’t think Vampires unless they were very hungry and desperate would want to drink non fresh blood as well unless it was stored properly.

Khorne cares very much about stolen blood.

There was a bit in the old vampire army book about Vampires being the anathema to all the chaos gods. Khorne hates them because they drink the blood that is rightfully his, Tzeentch hates them because they are eternally unchanging, Nurgle hates them because they're immune to diseases and Slaanesh hates them because of the ennui.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I honestly need to get my Soulbound gang back together. There is so much neat stuff that came out for it I want to try it

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Finish a partial unit of Stormcast Retributors from AoS 1.0's Thunder and Blood.

And a comparison to a Retributor I painted two years ago.

I got much better at... basing?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/12/06/celebrate-christmas-the-orruk-way-with-this-years-festive-miniatures/

And this years holiday model is AoS themed.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'll probably end up ordering one to go with my Warhammer+ Ironjaw Boss.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Finally a new Skaven model

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/12/06/kill-maim-the-opposition-with-the-skaven-teams-monstrous-blood-bowl-berserker/

I mean did also reveal a new Rat Ogre for Blood Bowl today.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Kinda odd that we're up to 3 variants of an HQ unit that nobody actually takes in their lists, but hey, more Orks.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, this one is apparently being sold not as a Megaboss but as command model for a Brutes unit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Kinda odd that we're up to 3 variants of an HQ unit that nobody actually takes in their lists, but hey, more Orks.

Not sure what you mean. Megabosses are quite good and popular. Not that this guy is a Megaboss.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not sure what you mean. Megabosses are quite good and popular. Not that this guy is a Megaboss.

Ah, totally missed the bit about Brutes, I always see people running the Brute champion with a klaw so I didn't even consider that. And megabosses are fine, but Mawkrushas are better. I haven't seen a competitive list running a megaboss on foot in quite a while, double Mawkrushas is just overwhelmingly dominant now. Though there's a rumor that they're getting a points hike soon, so maybe regular bosses get to shine again.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Ah, totally missed the bit about Brutes, I always see people running the Brute champion with a klaw so I didn't even consider that. And megabosses are fine, but Mawkrushas are better. I haven't seen a competitive list running a megaboss on foot in quite a while, double Mawkrushas is just overwhelmingly dominant now. Though there's a rumor that they're getting a points hike soon, so maybe regular bosses get to shine again.

The winner of the Austin Open two weeks ago ran 1 Mawkrusha, 1 foot boss and the Rogue Idol. I saw one or two other mega bosses on foot while I was there. 2x Mawkrusha is the popular list but foot guy is pretty decent

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Danimo posted:

The winner of the Austin Open two weeks ago ran 1 Mawkrusha, 1 foot boss and the Rogue Idol. I saw one or two other mega bosses on foot while I was there. 2x Mawkrusha is the popular list but foot guy is pretty decent

That's good to hear! He's a great model and the 2x Mawkrusha + pig spam is a really boring list.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
any list with a rogue idol has my approval

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

peer posted:

any list with a rogue idol has my approval

Someone took the character model from Total Warhammer and turned it into a 3d printer file and it looks so much better than the official Rogue Idol that it hurts.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

ngl i do think its kinda funny after putting all that time and effort into the hobbit orcs, they went right back to the orcs everyone actually likes

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
It's a single model :V

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I wasn't sold on the kruelboyz and the way they looked until someone pointed out they were basically Jim Henson orcs out of the dark crystal, and now I love them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

MinistryofLard posted:

I wasn't sold on the kruelboyz and the way they looked until someone pointed out they were basically Jim Henson orcs out of the dark crystal, and now I love them.

Yeah I saw this as soon as they showed the monsters. They rule.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Frankly ironjawz are the only orcs I like, but I can see the appeal of krule summer boyz. They are quite an improvement overt bonespliterz and standard old hammer orcs,

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

All Orcs are beautiful, and fortunately I play Isengard in LOTR anyway.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I like the Kruleboyz because they're weird and different, particularly with all their swamp magic and monster mash style. Give me a Kruleboy any ol' day.

Still need to build a ton of them. I've got the dominion box done and that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I really like the Kruleboyz aesthetic, I'd get them for sure if I didn't have already other 3 armies.