Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I basically have every question here, too. (Except the one about the woman’s arm. That’s obviously the actress’s arm and who cares?)

It wasn't, that's why I asked, a character I cannot name who, if she hasn't had an arm previously, I didn't notice or see it, and if I did, it's a TV show I won't assume everything I see on a character is part of the human being (what happened to Swarm's actors face? Why is his skin purple and glittery and covered in crystals???) --and she's acting cagey about some experience with Dan or the adventure and the main thing about her I remember is having a really good idea at some point in one of many unclear settings and circumstances. I was asking about the character in context of the show, which featured people turning into angels and infinite energy whatever the hells and portals and fluxes and god knows what else that I could've missed. Turned out to be nothing, that's fine.

Jerusalem posted:

many answer

Well, there is stuff I just missed but a lot just left unresolved and a lot of that unresolved stuff kind of feels like stuff we'd be lucky to just have skipped over with next folks. I think I'm alright with Time being some kind of entity I guess, honestly that chafes me less than a planet Time for some reason. That does just beget a billion questions though. First, where's the domain for this entity, all universes, just this one, perhaps a certain radius? Second... is Time the Timeless Child's mom or otherwise related to The Doctor? As for the ominous warning, I wonder if Time was being "cosmic being perspective" about The Doctor's end. AFAIK we got up to Doctor 26 before they needed to petition for more bonus lives, right? To a being like Time, reckon that could feel extremely soon.

I hope Bel and Vinder show up again whether they have some bigger connection to doc or not. I get why the main companions are always from Earth, but I always like when we get some folks in the party who live in the broader or older universe.

Narsham posted:

many answer

I kind of have to assume you're right and that Time will have reversulated everything, just seems like there's not really anywhere to go if everything is just gone. Hard to do a show about going everywhere anytime when there's nothing. I did look up chameleon arch and I do remember these devices, and I feel like he was setting up something for him to unpack rather than to leave for the hand-off.

One thing I did notice since it's come up a few times as something ignored later in the show (and probably also explicitly referenced already but my brain is full of holes):

quote:

There was an account suggesting that the Seventh Doctor, prior to his regeneration into his eighth incarnation, made use of a broken Arch to create the fiction that he was half-human to use against the Master. (COMIC: The Forgotten, TV: Doctor Who)

Not a bad way to reframe it.

I will say that even though I'd be happy to skip the cruel time travel origin stuff, I also really do want to see 13 crack that thing open and huff some memories and see what the hell is up. Wonder if he'll save it for the final special because he has to to either figure it out himself or set up other stuff first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Vanquishers mp4s - click to view:

So ends another season of Doctor Who, onto the specials and the return of RTD after that!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

So if the Lupari are all soul bonded to an individual human, where were all the others grabbing their human like Karvanista was doing Dan?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

So if the Lupari are all soul bonded to an individual human, where were all the others grabbing their human like Karvanista was doing Dan?

They all showed up to do just that, but the Doctor asked them to instead form a shield around the planet rather than just collect a human each and ride out the Flux itself, and the Good Doggy agreed. Apparently he was either the leader or chosen spokesman for the race, since we never saw any of the others and they seemed to follow his orders without issue.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

They all showed up to do just that, but the Doctor asked them to instead form a shield around the planet rather than just collect a human each and ride out the Flux itself, and the Good Doggy agreed. Apparently he was either the leader or chosen spokesman for the race, since we never saw any of the others and they seemed to follow his orders without issue.

Except for that single one that died off screen for no reason.

Also apparently they didn't need to be in charge of their spaceships for them to work, so I'm not sure why that even happened. Or why none of them went down to the planet earth instead of spending the rest of the foreseeable future sitting in small metal cans as a part of a giant space net. Or why no one on earth really seemed to notice that there was a giant space wall between them and the rest of the universe. Or...

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So... like.. the bulk of the universe is dead to the fluxx and they're just leaving it like that?

Holy poo poo a glimmer of what 13 could be in the interrogation scene, which just makes all the other hackney writing stand out even more.
Jodie you deserved wayyyyy better, but gently caress me I'll be glad when you're gone.

Village of the Angels is the stand out ep for sure. Remove all the side-story nonsense and it'd be a killer stand alone ep.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
What's the cutoff for an apocalypse? Why didn't the doggies step in to rescue people the 500 other times the earth was in danger?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"Huzzah! All the Daleks, Cybermen, and Sontarans are 100% gone forever! We will never see them again"

Literally the next ep preview "Oh poo poo Daleks! They're back somehow!"

Like.... gently caress me dead Chibnall...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Infinitum posted:

So... like.. the bulk of the universe is dead to the fluxx and they're just leaving it like that?

Who are you referring to as "they" in this context?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Doctor + The Fam 2.0™

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Infinitum posted:

The Doctor + The Fam 2.0™

Yeah, I'm not really sure what they can do about it. Ijust assume that everyone who died, died.

It's not that different from Logopolis tbh.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Logopolis only destroyed one named planet, Traken (which was barely mentioned again even with Nyssa on board). It was bad in a different way.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

"Huzzah! All the Daleks, Cybermen, and Sontarans are 100% gone forever! We will never see them again"

Literally the next ep preview "Oh poo poo Daleks! They're back somehow!"

Like.... gently caress me dead Chibnall...

Getting the contractually obligatory(?) Dalek appearance out of the way on 1/1 seems like a good idea.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, I'm not really sure what they can do about it. Ijust assume that everyone who died, died.

It's not that different from Logopolis tbh.

This basically leaves them with one planet in the entire universe, and realistically, that planet would be turbofucked by the debris from the rest of the dead universe or whatever refugees are left in it.

I mean, I guess Chib could really want to play around with dead-universe but the previews indicate everything's probably normal.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

wow i have literally no idea what i just saw or what happened.

okay so flux solved by stuffing it into a bag of holding. okay, whatever literally nobody cared about the flux at any point or thought it would ever mean or do anything.

i did miss if the universe went back to regular or not?

whats the snake pervert about, what's the point of him?

the crystal guy just killed himself and lady candy for failing, or is that guy a copy odf him, why were they the same?

who was the doctor the doctor was talking to and warning her of impending death and master appearance?

what was the point of bel and vinder? are the dogmen still basically extinct along with cybermen and daleks or was that undone?

whats the deal with the watches? what happened with tecteun or the division or whatever?

did nobody on earth ever notice the universe was being destroyed or taken over?

why didn't that lady want to go on a date with dan i guess they had planned at some point? what happened to her arm?

what were the angels involved for and did they get any resolution i missed?

Welcome to Chibnall.

I'm still waiting for an answer to how Jodie Doc survived a 3000ft fall face first into a train.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
As before, this episode had ideas that might've been good on their own, but mixed in with this storyline they were just wasted. The Timeless Child stuff was pretty unnecessary so it might as well have not been there. It just feels like Chibnall wanted to make the biggest mess possible, and he succeeded.

Well, another year of Chibnall and then finally we get RTD back. RTD never did any bad stories, right?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

happyhippy posted:

Welcome to Chibnall.

I'm still waiting for an answer to how Jodie Doc survived a 3000ft fall face first into a train.

Same way Ten regrew a hand, River dealt with some thugs, Eleven wiped some Dalek ships, and Eight smashed down a door

newly-regenerated Time Lords get a power boost - probably to aid in keeping themselves alive - but as we saw with Eleven, they can still be killed during the Regeneration process

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Vinylshadow posted:

Same way Ten regrew a hand, River dealt with some thugs, Eleven wiped some Dalek ships, and Eight smashed down a door

newly-regenerated Time Lords get a power boost - probably to aid in keeping themselves alive - but as we saw with Eleven, they can still be killed during the Regeneration process

Unless is explained in the episode it may has well been done by a magical wizard.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What's the issue, Timelords can survive 3000ft falls. What more do you need, they're a tough species. Remember when the master was hopping around with jumps like that just to pounce on people to eat?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Action Jacktion posted:

Well, another year of Chibnall and then finally we get RTD back. RTD never did any bad stories, right?

I'm 100% in the tank for RTD, but watching the conclusion to Flux, I feel like I've underrated his ability to create an "anything goes" mega-finale like Journey's End.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Unless is explained in the episode it may has well been done by a magical wizard.

Yes, the Doctor.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Timelords can survive 3000ft falls

I too also remember the end of Logopolis, when the Fourth Doctor fell from the steep heights of the radio tower, and got up and brushed himself off and said "Well that wasn't so bad" and walked off munching on a jelly baby

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Throughout the entire episode I had a deep seated sense of unease that random characters were going to be revealed to be secret incarnations of the Doctor.

Remember the end of 12's run? That was a good end.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I too also remember the end of Logopolis, when the Fourth Doctor fell from the steep heights of the radio tower, and got up and brushed himself off and said "Well that wasn't so bad" and walked off munching on a jelly baby

Ah yes, that's Season 18b, where Four teams up with Two from S6b and Six from S23b to go off on crazy adventures with River, the Rani, and the Master from the Inferno universe

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

the Master from the Inferno universe

Four: This is a pickle. What do you think we should do, Master from the Inferno Universe?
Master from the Inferno Universe: :supaburn:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
So the flux itself was basically pointless. It seemed more like a mild inconvenience than anything.

The Doctor being split across three plains of reality felt very Matt Smith though.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 6, 2021

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If you were to ask me to describe in detail what happened in Flux, I couldn't even begin.

This is true of most of Chibnall's run.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

You saw The Dark Dimension?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I remember The End of Time, when the Doctor fell from a spaceship, through a glass dome, and got up like it was nothing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

I remember The End of Time, when the Doctor fell from a spaceship, through a glass dome, and got up like it was nothing.

That's not how I remember it!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Well sure; after falling from great heights once, a Time Lord becomes immune to them from then on, like becoming immune to a disease after catching it once. :v:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/ginoodle/status/1467859462782341129

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That sketch is adorable, haha

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is this season up for legal streaming in the US anywhere yet? I’m too old and lazy to :filez: things now.

I was really hoping Jodie would finally get a good season, but judging by this thread that didn’t happen. :sigh:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Really wish RTD got at least one 13 season.

p.s. how do the flux revlations of th multiverse or whatever slot in with the hypnotoad universe thing we had a couple seasons ago?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is this season up for legal streaming in the US anywhere yet? I’m too old and lazy to :filez: things now.

I was really hoping Jodie would finally get a good season, but judging by this thread that didn’t happen. :sigh:

AMC+ should have it and I think right now it's like $2 a month

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
So after all that nothing really happened that actually matters. Christopher Chibnall you will pay for your crimes.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Shneak posted:

So after all that nothing really happened that actually matters. Christopher Chibnall you will pay for your crimes.

I mean, the man ran Torchwood for two seasons, it's not like we weren't forewarned

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So I haven't watched this season and think in general JW as the doctor is great but the last two seasons have been meh. It looks like the newest season is on the AMC + app? So is it worth it to use an apple free trial for a week and watch it? I'll check without getting into general spoilers of the show. (not that it really matters).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LionArcher posted:

So I haven't watched this season and think in general JW as the doctor is great but the last two seasons have been meh. It looks like the newest season is on the AMC + app? So is it worth it to use an apple free trial for a week and watch it? I'll check without getting into general spoilers of the show. (not that it really matters).

There's some quite good stuff in this season, but some not so great stuff and the whole thing feels like 8-9 episodes worth of content jammed into 6, so a fair amount gets skipped over, forgotten or given very short service or simply left unaddressed. You can certainly catch up on the full season in a week easily though, so I'd say go ahead: after all, Doctor Who fans can't agree on anything so you'll only really know if you like this season by watching it yourself v:shobon:v