Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Hinge Points: Bernie Wins in 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I refuse to listen to Hinge Points, but do they discuss the impact of the Russian revolution and it's early decades with regards to China or Turkey? Is there any mention of its impact on decolonial struggles?

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

They seem to think that if the USSR didn't exist that the idiots who go communism has killed 10000 billion people wouldn't exist.

exactly, which I'm not sure is a credible assumption given that we are 30+ years out from the fall of the USSR and our current capitalist hegemony seems more than happy to cast china in the exact same light.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Is Hinge Points basically just Marvel's What If? for real world history

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

And if so why don't they present it in character as Uatu the Watcher.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Hinge Point: What if Cromwell picked the son who wasn't a dipshit to be his successor as Lord Protector.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

They seem to think that if the USSR didn't exist that the idiots who go communism has killed 10000 billion people wouldn't exist.

idk i think their thesis was a little different — iirc their arg was that the soviet rev was predicated on it kicking off revolutions across europe and when that didn't happen, the bolsheviks had to industrialize the country, which the capitalist stage of development is "supposed" to do per marxist theory, which tainted the communist project within the ussr and abroad. but yeah i'm not sure why a different successful communist revolution would have been treated "better" by the capitalist bloc

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

And if so why don't they present it in character as Uatu the Watcher.

Christman the Grillpilled drawn in the Kirby style

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

hinge points is incredibly american in its perspective in a really quite provincial way, and must be read as such. they know some things but have no real engagement with the historical texture of the events they're discussing outside of the US (the USian stuff i can't really criticise since i don't know that history especially well), which makes their discussions sterile at best. it also becomes extremely clear that they're not from any kind of left-wing popular tradition, which really isn't their fault. they perceive the left's history as sort of inconvenient and wish they didn't have it instead of trying to take strength from it. it's all rather utopian

"no soviet revolution would've been better for the left broadly" is completely bone-headed. the US-western left is dead, but the soviet revolution was a huge factor in decolonisation and basically made third-worldism and social-democracy possible. there is no reason to assume that mono-polar bourgeois liberalism would've been any *less* ruthless than it was with a genuine threat; look what happened after the soviets fell

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
hingepoint: what if i had never entered the covid thread

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

christman's a smart enough guy to make it sort of productively annoying instead of just annoying, at least. finding his mistakes is fruitful without being too difficult. it's better than most american attempts at cosmopolitan intellectualism, which are simply infuriating

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Homeless Friend posted:

callin alex based.... he is NOT based. this is just another step by alex to co-opt our MOVEMENT brothers and sisters...

he dares to call himself cool when he, in fact, is not cool, my comrades

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
hinge points is dry toast for bookworms and I hope Matt really, really enjoys making them because they are not at all fun to consume

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

hinge points is okay imo, a decent fun listen, but my main note is danny says "underline" too much

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Bust Rodd posted:

hinge points is dry toast for bookworms and I hope Matt really, really enjoys making them because they are not at all fun to consume
i thought they were better than Time for My Stories, which mostly sucked. but i dont think danny is all that great of a co-host on it.

anyways bring back the vlogs matt

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Honest Thief posted:

hingepoint: what if i had never entered the covid thread

ur brain would be better imo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cringe Points.

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.
Hinge points is mediocre, but its theme song is loving terrible.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Xaris posted:

anyways bring back the vlogs matt

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Himge Points: What if Susan Sarandon had supported Hilary in 2016

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Is Hinge Points basically just Marvel's What If? for real world history

It's called alternate history

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

is Chapo still doing a Buffalo show this week
https://twitter.com/RustBeltGeo/status/1467843075976405002?s=20
https://twitter.com/TheBuffaloNews/status/1467585335953666057?s=20

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

hinge points is the final nail in the coffin of my misconception that christman occasionally had something insightful to say.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

ur brain would be better imo

the dreaded long covid

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's never too late to stop exposing yourself to covid threads and just post about a game you like instead

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
botw does suck

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

crepeface posted:

wait is the hinge points position that if communism didn't happen in Russia then the US left would be more likely to become radical because of nationalism and therefore the Russian revolution was bad?? seems like a stretch

The most plausible part of their argument seems to be that the USSR not existing might have prevented a Cold War, but they also argue in the same series (or maybe just in Hell of Presidents, forget) that the Cold War may have been averted by Truman not becoming President, so it doesn't seem that the USSR not existing would have been necessary for that.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

The most plausible part of their argument seems to be that the USSR not existing might have prevented a Cold War, but they also argue in the same series (or maybe just in Hell of Presidents, forget) that the Cold War may have been averted by Truman not becoming President, so it doesn't seem that the USSR not existing would have been necessary for that.
yeah, the cold war happening because of truman's insecurities - another banger from the hinge points podcast. that was like five minutes after they called themselves materialists.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Beard Dandruff posted:

Hinge points is mediocre, but its theme song is loving terrible.

Old timey gold rush prospectors will never die

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fleetwood posted:

Himge Points: What if Susan Sarandon had supported Hilary in 2016

This would be a good bit, you just explain the 2016 election exactly as it happened

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

christman's a smart enough guy to make it sort of productively annoying instead of just annoying, at least. finding his mistakes is fruitful without being too difficult. it's better than most american attempts at cosmopolitan intellectualism, which are simply infuriating

I've noticed that Matt seems to very rarely directly disagree with cohosts, even when they seem to have different worldviews. Definitely possible I'm projecting here, but the way he acts sometimes reminds me of the way I'll occasionally just paper over verbal disagreements. Like Chris will express some opinion in Hell of Presidents that I doubt Matt would express on his own and Matt will just be like "yeah" and sort of move on to different or tangential subject.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i watched the hunt for red october last night for no reason for the 99th time and it owned as usual

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Hinge point: what if Obama was gay

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

tokin opposition posted:

Hinge point: what if Obama was gay

some plague rats posted:

This would be a good bit, you just explain the 2008 election exactly as it happened

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

wait a second

is Hinge Points alt-history? are things just being made up now

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

multijoe posted:

It's never too late to stop exposing yourself to covid threads and just post about a game you like instead

I came in 18th out of 30 or so at the Magic the Gathering store championships at my local store on Saturday. Not great

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Smythe posted:

i watched the hunt for red october last night for no reason for the 99th time and it owned as usual

i think a bunch of historians were watching it sometime this weekend and live tweeting it

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Smythe posted:

i got a submarine movie kick and watched a bunch of them recently. i had always got red october and crimson tide mixed up, but after watching them again as an adult, man crimson tide is doodoo. red october is good, das boot is GOAT, Down Periscope is still funny. run silent, run deep was also good, and i usually get bored with those old war movies.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I came in 18th out of 30 or so at the Magic the Gathering store championships at my local store on Saturday. Not great

sounds like you need to get good bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

Hinge Point: What if Cromwell picked the son who wasn't a dipshit to be his successor as Lord Protector.

A world without catholics