Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

it is.. our jokes in tha IZ are both true & hurtful, a little bit.. but always centered in reality.

i just got squad wiped by a fuckin Lamia, lol, for instance... The 3rd area is kind of fuckin crazy

they really nailed the difficulty curve in this game, every area starts like a brick wall, then by the end you're steam rolling every encounter, then the boss kicks your rear end to make you humble. it's pretty incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

they really nailed the difficulty curve in this game, every area starts like a brick wall, then by the end you're steam rolling every encounter, then the boss kicks your rear end to make you humble. it's pretty incredible

yeah, it's awesome lol. I've felt underpowered the entire game until the lahmu fight, and then in the next area a random encounter just buried my rear end

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
If you have the mitamas dlc you can fine tune the difficulty by enabling or disabling them to your liking

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Has anyone been using the Fiends much? I ignored them mostly since Dqisoujou was a bit disappointing (though I hadn't realised just how good status effects are in this one) but just fused the last couple of Riders and they seem to kick arse. Black Rider has +5 Almighty and an all-target severe almighty attack that inflicts I think Seal. I fused him into Pale who mostly seems to revolve around poison which is a bit less exciting, might have been a waste of money lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I been using a Fafnir with Poison Master and it ticks for like 170 dmg per turn which is super useful if you can land it on a boss.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I used white rider the whole game, god's bow is just as good as it was in nocturne

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Has anyone been using the Fiends much? I ignored them mostly since Dqisoujou was a bit disappointing (though I hadn't realised just how good status effects are in this one) but just fused the last couple of Riders and they seem to kick arse. Black Rider has +5 Almighty and an all-target severe almighty attack that inflicts I think Seal. I fused him into Pale who mostly seems to revolve around poison which is a bit less exciting, might have been a waste of money lol

meditation is extremely good. daisoujou is a beast

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mother Harlot is really good

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Red Rider's multihit piercing phys move that inflicts confusion is ridiculous, it was really hard to give him up to make the rest of the fiends. Trumpeter is great at pretty much everything and he resists or nulls everything but phys so he's excellent for the endgame

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Daisoujou isn't quite the powerhouse he was in Nocturne (fire weakness, no longer immune to all ailments, no Prayer) but he still gets poo poo done and I'm feeding that fucker all my grimoires.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

on the last level i think...i dont want it to end. luckily im gonna stick around and do all the sidequests and grind to 99 and work on 100% compendium so theres still more to do. also kinda wanna replay the game already with a different MC build, theres lots of cool looking naho unique skills that i didnt get to use.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I’m definitely doing a different build next time, probably focus on strength and vitality. I didn’t feel like a decent strength/magic split was a bad build but it feels like picking one or two spellcaster demons for my party and stacking myself with the strength-based nahobino skills would have been more effective

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Is there any good resource anywhere on what essences etc you can get certain skills from? Just got Cleopatra and trying to work out how to give her boon boost. I am far too dumb to do it through fusion without a calculator

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Is there any good resource anywhere on what essences etc you can get certain skills from? Just got Cleopatra and trying to work out how to give her boon boost. I am far too dumb to do it through fusion without a calculator

https://aqiu384.github.io/megaten-fusion-tool/smt5/skills

https://aqiu384.github.io/megaten-fusion-tool/smt5/recipes

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
beat it with neutral ending (Gamer's Edit: apparently the save tokyo ending is considered the chaos ending? idk. destroying the throne seems a little more chaotic to this gamer but hey who am i to judge). good game but like most things not as cool as nocturne. probably gonna immediately jump back into new game+ on hard and do all the superbosses/secret ending

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 8, 2021

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like it a lot more than nocturne gameplay wise but the setting and especially characters of nocturne were cooler. your classmates are trash in V.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

i keep finding more stuff to do before area V

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

I like it a lot more than nocturne gameplay wise but the setting and especially characters of nocturne were cooler. your classmates are trash in V.

I think they forgot how to write characters

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

got neutral path in smt4 without a guide :dukedog:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
:hfive: it's a great feeling

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
neutral path without a guide crew

also playing nocturne after 4 and strange journey, I like how they managed to take the classmates and give them a as believable way as I think you could expect to go from "ok let's talk I can sympathize a little" to "hold up" in a such a bigass hurry

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

I've just slid down the massive slope in the second area into Gotenyama, where it changes from red and grim into leafy green and it's such a beautiful transition.
Nowhere near finished, only 20 odd hours in

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

got to the last zone the miracle for law path Owns, im tempted to stop everything right now and start making Beezlebub and Michael or w/e. but i also figure I'm going to unlock some special fusions before the game ends so I also wanna wait...decisions decisions...

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
decided i'm gonna smoke thru the rest of the regular endings on easy before i go for the last one and do all the optional bosses. get full compendium and all the miracles and crap. love to game

e: lmfao new game+ on safety difficulty is hilarious, i'm doing like tens of thousands of damage every hit. what kind of lunatic would play the game set to this on their first time through

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 9, 2021

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

All I have left in the game is 1 sidequest and the demifiend, got the neutral and true neutral endings so far but I reloaded. Sick game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

on the final boss I think. this far in it's nice to definitively say that this game has one of the best designed power curves of any jrpg I've played, throughout all of hard it was constantly fun exploring new zones, feeling like every encounter was a death sentence, to growing through, fusing new teams and becoming a master of the area. Only to have it happen again at the next transition, and most bosses required some semblance of strategy tweaking and management...god I love this game.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

absolutely anything posted:

decided i'm gonna smoke thru the rest of the regular endings on easy before i go for the last one and do all the optional bosses. get full compendium and all the miracles and crap. love to game

e: lmfao new game+ on safety difficulty is hilarious, i'm doing like tens of thousands of damage every hit. what kind of lunatic would play the game set to this on their first time through

That's how it was in P4G and Nocturne HD too, it's insane lol. I don't care if easy mode is in games in general but it's such a braindead way of playing these games like why would you even bother. Doing like 300 base damage w/Attack out of the gate.. just play Dynasty Warriors

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I had a coworker who I knew was into Persona games and was looking forward to SMT4:A so one day I asked if he bought any of the DLC cause I was stuck trying to beat Cleopatra. He told me he didn't but he just plays on the easiest difficulty and turns auto battle on and I had to hide my disgust and I never talked to him about video games again.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

do items get affected by magic stats or mastery skills?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

mastery is only manacosts afaik. and ya I'm pretty sure int affects the damage.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Kongming posted:

I had a coworker who I knew was into Persona games and was looking forward to SMT4:A so one day I asked if he bought any of the DLC cause I was stuck trying to beat Cleopatra. He told me he didn't but he just plays on the easiest difficulty and turns auto battle on and I had to hide my disgust and I never talked to him about video games again.

This guy walked around a gradually changing area for tens of hours. Outstanding.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I think gems scale by their relevant stats, so magic for the spells and Luck for the status effects. I'm not sure though

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Kild posted:

mastery is only manacosts afaik.

nah, it affects damage for sure

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I finished my first playthroufj today. This game is insanely loving good and I want to do a fresh play through again already with a different Nahobino. But first I'm gonna do all the endings on NG+ cycles and get 100% compendium

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Hard mode demi-fiend definitely lives up to his reputation

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

did they nerf Charge? it doesn't feel as strong as previous games. it's still strong.. probably 2x.. but it's always been 2.5x damage. I dunno, almost doesn't feel worth taking up a slot. Never thought I'd say that

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

did they nerf Charge? it doesn't feel as strong as previous games. it's still strong.. probably 2x.. but it's always been 2.5x damage. I dunno, almost doesn't feel worth taking up a slot. Never thought I'd say that

yeah, it feels more like 1.75x or something like that now. I've been running crit charge instead since there's so many strength-based moves that get further boosted on crits but it never feels the same as the classic 2.5 multiplier did. Feels like an experimental change since they added those moves that let you give charge/concentrate to an ally and added items that let you charge so they might be expecting players to be abusing charge way more often, but I hope they go back to the old formulas for the next one

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I never used Charge for the above listed reasons, but the Donum skills that let you charge other party members wound up being really useful for fights where the Donum caster didn't have a weakness to press turn with. I think it'd be cooler if the donum skills still existed and were weaker but Charge was still 2.5x for a self buff or something.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There is that magatushi skill that might make charge worth it though I never messed around with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Finished law route, I went full boss killer with the mc starting in like the third area (strength based almighty single target skill, almighty pleromas, element nulls, crit % up). Game owned!!