Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Hellblazer187 posted:

There's no undoing this, either. Why would the siblings ever move back home? Let's just say somehow OP gets brow beaten enough to say her siblings need to move out. If market rent in the area is $200 for a room why would they pay their rear end in a top hat parents $1,200? Honestly it's weird that the siblings didn't just move out to other rooms on their own but I guess when you're young like that it can be a scary step.

$200/week is really very cheap for a room in Wellington. The Wairarapa is a region with a bunch of towns where rent is cheaper, but becoming rapidly more expensive like the rest of New Zealand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

mind the walrus posted:

A bit of TAH for throwing siblings under the bus-- doesn't sound like they did poo poo to you.

And it's also dumb as fuuuuuuuuuck to tell controlling/strongarming parents that you have money. Like really loving dumb.

OP didn't throw the siblings under the bus at all - it was her parents that kept comparing their jobs & being dicks about it not being "acceptable". They sound real bitter that they footed the bill for their other 2 kids to get ~*rEaL JoBs*~ while their daughter put herself through school with none of their help, plus I'm betting the siblings have to deal with mom & dad holding that poo poo over their heads forever now, based on how they reacted. The fact that OP makes more money is just salt in the wound for her lovely parents who sound like they expected (or wanted) her to fail the whole time.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Get over it; little things like that are a diamond dozen.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Holy poo poo, gently caress that husband.

That response-to-another-letter letter also reeks of estranged parent.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

RoboRodent posted:

When I worked at a grocery store, carts were definitely not everyone's favourite. I never minded it, because yeah, you're outside, mostly you don't have to deal with customers, and you also didn't have to wear a face mask which was a nice break.

It is also very physical even if you limit how many carts you're pushing, and if the weather is bad you're going to be wet, or cold, or pushing through a couple inches of snow or slush, or a weird dirty slush that had the consistency of wet sand so you can only do three carts at a time. If it's hot, you're going to be sweating bullets in the middle of concrete. Carts abandoned on the far side of the shopping centre never filled me with happiness, but tired resignation, and possibly "gently caress, I don't have time to get that right now." I had indoor duties too, and sometimes I was the only clerk because it was early. On busy days the flow of carts was so steady that you'd be out there for three hours, then go in, find your partner lazily bagging, and have to force them to go take your place so you could have the lunch you were supposed to have an hour ago. And they'd argue with you.

This person's heart is in the right place, but in practice they're just making someone's job more difficult.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

My boyfriend [M24) caused me [F24] to sprain my ankle playing his Michael Myers prank. He refuses to apologize

quote:

I sprained my ankle last week because my boyfriend pranked me when I came home from work. He popped out of the closet with a rubber knife and started to chase me down the stairs with it I fell and sprained my ankle, and he started to laugh afterwards.

FF to present day he refuses to apologize to me. What do I do ?

We’ve been together since January

Update: on My boyfriend [M24) caused me [F24] to sprain my ankle playing his Michael Myers prank. He refuses to apologize. Current: He took back his half of the groceries after I asked him to leave.

quote:

My boyfriend refused to apologize to me. So I took advice from family, friends, and you guys to temporarily cease the relationship. I told him to leave my house because he hasn’t apologized, after I told him that he literally took back half of the groceries he bought Sunday and left.

He goes in the trash can and takes out the receipt and finds everything he bought in the fridge and cabinets and takes it with him.

At this point the relationship is most likely over. I appreciate all the support, thank you. It’s not easy, but I have to move on.

I feel bad for her because she wasted a year with this dipshit. But i do have to laugh at how petty her ex bf is being with that latest stunt, lol

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

DemoneeHo posted:

My boyfriend [M24) caused me [F24] to sprain my ankle playing his Michael Myers prank. He refuses to apologize

...after I told him that he literally took back half of the groceries he bought Sunday and left.

He goes in the trash can and takes out the receipt and finds everything he bought in the fridge and cabinets and takes it with him.

I'm loving dying.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

coronatae posted:

Holy poo poo, gently caress that husband.

That response-to-another-letter letter also reeks of estranged parent.

I hate that man so much. I can't even. I do most of the childcare since my wife's schedule is insane right now and holy poo poo it is so much work. Just relentless. Anyone that thinks it doesn't count as real work is a entitled piece of poo poo.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for “overreacting” and telling my bf he can’t be in our guest

quote:

I (36F) have been with my bf (36M) for 4.5 years. He recently moved in to the house I’ve been renting for the last 4 years in September. Last month, he was late on rent & didn’t pay it until the 17th, which caused some issues between us. He didn’t communicate with me at all & once I found out that he was late & had called the property manager to inform her, we had a conversation about him talking to me if he wasn’t going to be able to pay by the date he gave her. (I offered to cover the difference in this case & he could paid me back). The date he gave the property manager came & went & he didn’t pay or communicate w/me about it. When he did finally pay the next day, he told me I was overreacting for being upset that he went back on his word & promised me he wouldn’t have this issue again. I gave him the benefit of the doubt because this is the first time he has ever moved out & the circumstances last month were a fluke (he switched jobs & his old boss went MIA while owing him his final pay check).

Fast forward to this month. He let me know on the 29th that he would not be able to pay until the 3rd & I had no issues with that & offered to cover the utilities in full w/him paying me back when he could. The 3rd came & he told me he had paid $400 of the rent & would be paying the remaining $1050 on the 4th & would also cover the late charge. I said ok & thanked him for being honest with me. Yesterday was the 4th & he told me he was going to run errands & pay the rest of the rent after stopping by his parents house. Again, no biggie as he communicated with me. Today is the 5th & I’ve received an alert from the property management company that the $1050 & late fee still have not been paid. I asked him about it to see if it was paid & if the system just didn’t update & that was when he told me he didn’t pay & would when he could. I asked if he called the property manager & he said no. I asked him when he would be able to pay & he told me his finances are not my business & that he will pay when he pays. I got upset & started crying & told him he broke my trust for the 2nd month in a row. I have severe anxiety & have no family in the state so if we were to get evicted, I’d be screwed while he could easily move back in with his family. He told me he would pay when he paid & went into our guest room which has his bed and most of his things in it & told me I was overreacting. I texted him & said that his lack of communication on this shows me that he doesn’t view us as equals & that he thinks I’m inferior to him. He’s now ignoring me & I told him I’d like to talk like adults & that if he continues to ignore me, he can leave the guest room as he hasn’t even paid enough rent to cover that room.

I don’t feel like the rear end in a top hat but I’m starting to 2nd guess myself as he is still ignoring me & I know I tend to overreact when I’m upset. So I’m coming here & asking, AITA?

Normal failboi story only reason I posted it was for this gold of a comment:
"Op, You are not a foster home for another woman’s future husband"

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Cul de sac is the last great comic strip. The author posted a few times in the Comic strip thread just before he retired. Then he died not long after :(

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
AITA for not masking around my Funko Pops?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

kimbo305 posted:

literally cackled out loud when I saw this pic

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

axolotl farmer posted:

Cul de sac is the last great comic strip. The author posted a few times in the Comic strip thread just before he retired. Then he died not long after :(

Yeah, Richard Thompson was a gem.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I used to love pushing carts at Target. I was outside, didnt have to talk to guests most of the time, and got nearly 30k steps every day.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

At least the funko pops aren't still in the boxes!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Brawnfire posted:

If I remember Sunday School you can do that, but only on soil, not on a path or thorns or stony ground

what the gently caress Sunday school did you go to?

(Onan's sin was basically inheritance fraud, btw. He wouldn't get his brother's poo poo if he had kids with his brother's wife. That'd go to the kids and the wife. It wasn't about jacking off onto the ground, that's why I'm wildly confused here.)

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Kenshin posted:

At least the funko pops aren't still in the boxes!

But they could have been protected from covid if they were!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

kimbo305 posted:

I had heard that the first big US outbreak of omicron was traced to an anime convention, but somehow I hadn't fully grasped the implication of that until I saw this picture.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Midnight Voyager posted:

(Onan's sin was basically inheritance fraud, btw. He wouldn't get his brother's poo poo if he had kids with his brother's wife. That'd go to the kids and the wife. It wasn't about jacking off onto the ground, that's why I'm wildly confused here.)

That may have been the idea back when the dinosaurs walked the earth but im p sure Christendom collectively decided the insurance fraud was fine and the real problem was jacking off hundreds of years ago

See also: what was the deal with Sodom

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Piell posted:

AITA for not making my (32f) boyfriend (27m) adhere to a dress code my mother requested for my birthday dinner?

This is seriously one of the best posts of 2021 imo

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

That may have been the idea back when the dinosaurs walked the earth but im p sure Christendom collectively decided the insurance fraud was fine and the real problem was jacking off hundreds of years ago

See also: what was the deal with Sodom

I'm aware of that, but the extra step of adding specific places you can jack off is extra ???

Is this some Catholic poo poo or like some weird Pentecostal thing? I want to know the denomination that gives you designated jackoff locations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I was just humorously conflating it with the Parable of the Sower

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Brawnfire posted:

I was just humorously conflating it with the Parable of the Sower

OH.

Okay.

...Look, you can see how I could believe some church was like "only jack it on fertile ground." You see this hellworld we live in.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Oh you don't want to jerk it onto fertile soil, that's how you get homonculi

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Hughlander posted:

AITA for “overreacting” and telling my bf he can’t be in our guest

I asked him when he would be able to pay & he told me his finances are not my business & that he will pay when he pays

I loving lost it it this. Been together 4.5 years and living together but how dare she ask about his rinances when he is late on rent. loving lol.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

She said she doesnt remember my name, wtf?

Me and my gf have been together for 6months, she calls me by a few nicknames, I call her by some too but I never thought that she called me by those nicknames because she literally doesnt know my name. Im speechless. I was having a few doubts about a few things in our relationship, so I took advice from some people and I went on to talk to her, we sorted almost everything out and then I tried to lighten the conversation by telling her the name of a guy that sounded funny, I asked her if she thought my name was funny. She made excuses that she was feeling tired, tried to divert the conversation to a different topic but when I asked again she told me she doesnt know what my name is. I asked her if she was kidding and she said she was not. She left an hour or so ago and now Im genuinely having a WTF moment. She said it was because she was forgetful and doesnt remember names well. But how is that even possible, to "forget" your own bf's name whom she's been with for 6months.. Im more confused than sad. I've mentioned my name like a thousand times by now, she has met all my friends who call me by my name and she even heard my mom yell my name a dozen times everyday for a week when she came to visit us. I have no Idea how is this possible. She didnt even give any more explaination than "Im forgot" before leaving for her work. Should I be heartbroken or concerned about her mental health? This is my first relationship so I'm really trying to process this. She sounded so casual about it.. is this a common thing in relationships?

One of the top comments

What I find weirder is not mentioned in the original post that she had a freakin stroke. What was the point of this post if you are going to bury the most important part of the story? What answers would even be helpful without knowing that!

Went in thinking one thing, leaving just loling with new knowledge

Was reading the cat one and saw this. My mum once told me that she had a several-week+ relationship with a guy she met at a bus stop, but they had to break up because she didn't actually know what his name was and by then it was too embarassing to ask.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for ruining my future SIL's wedding to be ?

quote:

So I (M30) have been with my bf (M34) for 2 years. My mother is very homphobic and basically cut me out when she found out I was bi back when I first finished college. All my life she would try to control me. She would try to control what I wear, who I hang out with only to fit her definition of the perfect son. For example,I like to knit and she would throw away all my knitting acessories because it wasn't a hobby for "boys". I always told her its her own goddam fault for sending to an all boy school and that I had eyes 👀👀

My siblings have always been supportive of my lifestyle and we're very close. My older brother is getting married to his gf of 5 years and they will get married in July 2022. His fiancee is awesome, but her family is also very homophobic. Her mother and mine get along very well, and do many activities together. I have gone LC with my mother over the years.

I love my brothers fiancé, but she has a tendancy of trying to please everyone around her... which means that when I got my invitation for the wedding, lo and behold, I was the only one with no +1. At first I thought it was a mistake, so I contacted his fiancé (since I knew she was the one taking care of the guest list and the RSVP) and she told me that they had to cut down the number of invitations because of covid, but I checked with my siblings and all of them got a +1. This really upset me and my bf, since he is very close to my brother (they went to uni together).

I contacted my brother who of course had no idea that I didn't have a +1 and told me he'd take care of it. I then recieved a bunch of text messages from my SIL berating me for talking to my brother and that I should have just taken the one invitation. She told me she did this to prevent any problems with me and her side of the family, and my mother.

She also told me that she didn't want me and my bf to be the center of attention at her own wedding. She told me that she'll give me the +1 but that I'll be ruining her wedding. I've talked to friends and my siblings and they're mostly on my side... but some have told me that it's her wedding and that she has the right to invite who she wants.

I think I might be the rear end in a top hat because my mother's subtle homophobic remarks don't affect me anymore but I don't think it'll be fair to let my bf be subject to them and her family's homophobia, and that it is indeed her own wedding.

Edit: Hello! Thanks for all the comments! I'll try to read all of them! I noticed some of you questioning my use of the word "lifestyle"... and honestly, it's how I've always referred to my life. It's how my mother always referred to "my" life growing up and it stuck with me. I feel like it's something I internalized... but I see how it can be detrimental to our identity...

Edit 2: I haven't shown my brother the texts yet. My bf and him are supposed to have a gaming night in a couple days. My bf and I discussed what we should do and we'll talk to him then. I think you're right, and that I should show him her texts.

Update: AITA for ruining my future SIL's wedding to be?

quote:

Hello! I decided to post an update to my original post.

After my bf and my brother had their gaming night, my bf called me over to our gaming room and we talked to my brother. We told him we both loved him but decided to not attend the wedding. My brother was obviously upset, until I followed the advice of many of you guys and showed my brother's my FSIL's texts.

To say he was livid was an understatement, he actually called up my SIL in front of us and demanded that she apologize to both me and my bf. She did, but defended what she did and explained her reasons to my brother (the same reasons she gave me when I first confronted her). He tried to argue with her but she told him that she'd talk to him once he came back home and hung up.

It took some time, but my bf was able to calm him down and we talked about everything. He told us he completely understands if we decided not to attend, and that he would never hold it against us, even though he would love for us to attend. He told us he would never want us to degrade ourselves just for his fiancé's "hapiness". He ended up spending the night at our house because I didn't want him driving when this upset. In the end we couldn't sleep and we talked almost all night. He told me that he sees my SIL in a new light now, since he feels like her family will have too much power over their relationship, Our mother knows that she doesn't have that kind of power over us, but he's scared that his MIL would try to control his future wife. In the end he told me that maybe he didn't want to attend his own wedding. I told him to get some rest and to really think about it before doing anything reckless. He slept until 1 pm and then went back home. We got a text a few days later telling us the wedding was officially on a hiatus and that my brother and his fiancé are on a break. We told him that he could move in with us for now, if he needed space from his fiancé and he agreed. In the end both my bf and my brother told me I did the right thing by showing him the texts, because he deserved to know who he was about to marry.

Thank you to all who helped me with this difficult situation, and I hope you appreciate the update.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Evil Willow posted:

love a good update. wish more OPs would come back with em

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Evil Willow posted:

A Good Brother

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Neighbors keep connecting to Bluetooth vibrator

quote:

I have a fancy vibrator with Bluetooth capabilities. Idk if my neighbor has the same kind or is just like being an rear end in a top hat but I'm pretty sure they keep connecting to my vibrator???

I turn on pairing mode and next thing I know it's going whack. I also feel like they connect to it while I'm in the middle of going off??? One second it's gentle pulsing and the next it feels like an octopus is sucking my clit.

How do I politely get them to stop? I feel like I can't ask them and I don't even know what side of me it's coming from. Do I leave notes on doors?

lol, Relationship advice sometimes delivers

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm trying to play some RTJ but my Bluetooth speaker isn't hooking up

Also my neighbor keeps yelling

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

We’ve pointed out how awful the OP of the headliner is, and the reply letter, but let’s not sleep on this:

quote:

Dear Amy: I’m sharing my family’s holiday strategy in case someone else thinks it’s workable for their family.

We have had our own disagreements and hurt feelings over the years.

I remind everyone that the holidays are not about the hurt, but about celebrating together as a family and creating memories of togetherness.

I tell them to keep their hurt and anger at home in “storage,” so that during family events they can focus on fun and celebrating togetherness.

At Thanksgiving dinner, we each share what/who we’re thankful for.

At Christmas, we have the same requirement – to leave our “issues” at home.

I believe that we can choose to be above the squabbling for the holiday season and behave kindly toward one another.
– Cathy S., in California

You just know this woman is telling someone to suck it up while half the drat family talks about a Trump/JFKJr. ticket and how Kyle Rittenhouse had the right idea.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The Glumslinger posted:

This feels like an improved version of the gangstalking remote mind control thing

remote clit control

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

That's not how bluetooth works.

Its funny though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Midnight Voyager posted:

Lucky for Onan, braces hadn't been invented yet:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling my girlfriend to cover up her body when strangers enter the home?

quote:

I am FULLY aware the title sounds sexist but hear me out, please.

My girlfriend comes from a wealthy background and grew up with maids, chefs, chauffeurs etc. I was raised in a completely opposite environment and still adjusting to dating someone like her.

When we’re not with her parents, we spent a lot of time at one of her apartments. Here’s the issue: my gf likes to walk around home barely wearing anything which is fine (awesome even) BUT she does this even when the ‘help’ are around.

For example last month her family hired a new driver for her. He stopped by the apartment to introduce himself. She was only wearing underwear. Keep in mind, this is the FIRST time they’ve met in person. I felt awkward, he was visibly awkward and she didn’t give a poo poo at all. She was casually chatting to him while a scrolling away on her phone.

She does this all the time. She doesn’t think she needs to wear any decent amount of clothes at all when people that work for her are around. She will casually walk around wearing just a thong OR a tiny crop top (just a crop top, nothing else).

She even does this with complete strangers! One time she opened the door for the delivery guy wearing only a see through gown. You could see everything. Afterwards I talked to her about it and she was utterly confused as to why I felt uncomfortable. Then she laughed and told me to “stop being a jealous baby”. She even said that I’m unreasonable.

We had another discussion about this yesterday and I told her that she probably wouldn’t feel comfortable if I did the same. She said that she doesn’t understand why I care what her staff think and that it never even crossed her mind that this is inappropriate. She told me that she only does this in the comfort of her home and not in front of“actual people” i.e. people that don’t work for her.

She got kinda mad at me and vented to her friends. According to all of them, I’m “weird” for having a problem with this and an rear end in a top hat for telling my GF to cover up. Somehow I’m the villain of this story. Am I really the rear end in a top hat?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my girlfriend to cover up her body when strangers enter the home?

https://i.imgur.com/xVsJAe4.gifv

astronautism
Oct 3, 2002
r/relationships: My mom asked me to pick a restaurant (I picked Texas Roadhouse)

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Smirking_Serpent posted:

She even does this with complete strangers! One time she opened the door for the delivery guy wearing only a see through gown. You could see everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg_cwI1Xj4M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for offending the bride and groom?

quote:

Hey Reddit. Throwaway because irl people know about my main account.

One of my friends Katie (fake name) is getting married soon, and while hanging out she mentioned that she will be sending us her venmo so that you we could 'pitch in' for the wedding. I was confused, so I asked her what she meant. She said that since she and her soon to be husband couldn't afford the wedding party, they were requesting people to cash in as well. I come from a culture where parents usually* pay for their kids weddings, or sometimes the soon to be wed do it for themselves or, borrow money (which they return back). I was confused and I asked Kate that when will she return the money then, because I really didn't think we were so close as to we could borrow money from each other and she probably got offended or something over that.

My other friend Maya (fake name again), who is also from my culture, then explained to me that's it's apparently normal to chip in for your friends' wedding here. I again got confused and somewhat offensive, asking if it's a wedding PARTY, why do the guests need to pay then? Kate really got mad and called me an rear end for embarassing her in front of everyone. Her fiance later called me to say that I really hurt their feelings and now I am disinvited from the wedding.

I am wondering where I went wrong and if I was being ignorant, Maya is citing this to be some sort of culture shock. AITA, and how do I fix this?

Edit- INFO: We are in the US.