Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Animal-Mother posted:

I've had some dentists with big hands, but ooooof.

"Geez, after I woke up from the anesthesia, I felt like I had just been given a tombstone piledriver."

"You were given a tombstone piledriver. He says it takes your mind off the pain inside your mouth. We're still not sure why he does the choke slam though."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

With the benefit of hindsight, where would you say is the "point of no return" for WCW, where you could definitively point to and say "there was no way back from this one?"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

edogawa rando posted:

With the benefit of hindsight, where would you say is the "point of no return" for WCW, where you could definitively point to and say "there was no way back from this one?"

Business wise it's probably Hogan leaving and suing.

Personally, as a viewer, it's the Fingerpoke. I didn't tolerate that kind of poo poo from WCW, and once other wrestling became easily available to me, I had enough of it from WWE.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

edogawa rando posted:

WCW World Heavyweight Champion David Arquette

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

edogawa rando posted:

When raw beat nitro in the ratings for the second time in a row because that's when bischoff's brainworms kicked in and he stopped caring about everything else in the company

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

Hiring Vince Russo. Product was bad but it was still WCW before Russo so it could rely on the old school WCW/NWA fans. With Russo the product became so unlike the traditional product that it chased of it's traditional fans too

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
After Hogan and Flair, that was their last PPV that drew money and after they had beaten Goldberg.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
NWO Wolfpac Hogan turning face and CEO Flair turning heel. I'd given up on WCW as a kid when the Wolfpac super unit formed so I went back to watch some old Nitros from that time period.

Flair who has finally put a huge dent in NWO power by wrestling the Presidency away from Bischoff is randomly turned heel and Hogan, who has spent nearly three years trying to bury WCW, for some reason, is now getting cheered.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Dawgstar posted:

Maybe it would've kept him out of politics down the line.

Either that or we get a giant Paul Gosar that can choke slam people.

Not worth the risk.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Personally, as a viewer, it's the Fingerpoke. I didn't tolerate that kind of poo poo from WCW, and once other wrestling became easily available to me, I had enough of it from WWE.

By that point it was clear that the NWO was going to be just this interminable Thing - signs were very present before, don't get me wrong - but with that it was just 'yeah, this is what we're doing' on and on into infinity. No big War Games to blow off the stable, no conquering hero to dethrone Hogan, just drain circling.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

In terms of on-screen product, feels like they would have been better off if Hogan just hadn't returned at the end of 1998. No fingerpoke, potential for Nash and Goldberg to keep their momentum, and none of the Hogan-Russo bullshit that would happen later.

But for me, the fingerpoke wasn't a point of no return. It was extremely damaging, but WCW could have recovered from it. The new logo, Mark Madden, DJ Ran, the No Limit Soldiers - as bad as all of that stuff was, none of it individually sank WCW.

Russo was the one person/event, in my mind, that was unrecoverable. The week he took over, WCW was a noticeably different show. The atmoshpere was different. It was decidedly not WCW any longer. The players were all the same, the set was the same, but they were putting on a different show. It's like if you turned on Law & Order one week, and it's the same cast, and they're still in NYC, but now it's single-camera and there's a laugh track. There's just no way you're going to make that work. The audience isn't going to buy it.

Prior to Russo, there's hope that a coherent, interesting feud at the top could breathe life back into WCW. Once he shows up, the whole thing is so muddled that there's just no chance to turn things around.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Kosmo Gallion posted:

NWO Wolfpac Hogan turning face and CEO Flair turning heel. I'd given up on WCW as a kid when the Wolfpac super unit formed so I went back to watch some old Nitros from that time period.

Flair who has finally put a huge dent in NWO power by wrestling the Presidency away from Bischoff is randomly turned heel and Hogan, who has spent nearly three years trying to bury WCW, for some reason, is now getting cheered.

Same. Watching with the Nitro watch parties a few years back I saw the episode of Nitro where this happened (the Nitro with no wrestling in the first hour) and thought 'Ok, if the fingerpoke was the 'it's just a little wet, it's still good, it's still good moment then this is the 'It's just a little airborne' moment'. Hiring Russo would eventually become the 'It's gone. I know' moment.

Also; do you think Inoki leveraged to have his character select box be twice as large as everybody else's or did the developers do that without prompting?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

Also; do you think Inoki leveraged to have his character select box be twice as large as everybody else's or did the developers do that without prompting?

in All Japan Pro Wrestling featuring Virtua on the Sega Saturn, Giant Baba's character select box is the length of 4 separate characters

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Alaois posted:

in All Japan Pro Wrestling featuring Virtua on the Sega Saturn, Giant Baba's character select box is the length of 4 separate characters

this rules lmao

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dawgstar posted:

By that point it was clear that the NWO was going to be just this interminable Thing - signs were very present before, don't get me wrong - but with that it was just 'yeah, this is what we're doing' on and on into infinity. No big War Games to blow off the stable, no conquering hero to dethrone Hogan, just drain circling.

Yeah, that's why I think the point of no return was earlier. Namely when they reversed Sting's win over Hogan and went on to make the big feud of the company two halves of the NWO.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

Hipster answer: Radicalz leaving. The nWo being this interminable thing was table stakes by early 2000, but once you sank the one thing WCW still had going for it over WWF – its midcard – there was nothing left worth turning to.

I also agree with the "Russo's first run" answer. In 1999, WWF was white hot (albeit not a great actual product) and WCW just had nothing going on, so they took a chance on Russo and it goes from boring to unwatchable fast. Had the big change in late '99 been something to breathe life into the top of the card (instead of car crash TV), WWF was conceivably catchable.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
While the Fingerpoke was bullshit, WCW only became totally unwatchable as of the 10/18/99 Nitro.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Russo becoming an on screen character and the wretched amount of Jeff Jarrett on my TV is where I personally can't even rewatch Nitro to laugh at it.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

D.N. Nation posted:

Hipster answer: Radicalz leaving. The nWo being this interminable thing was table stakes by early 2000, but once you sank the one thing WCW still had going for it over WWF – its midcard – there was nothing left worth turning to.

I also agree with the "Russo's first run" answer. In 1999, WWF was white hot (albeit not a great actual product) and WCW just had nothing going on, so they took a chance on Russo and it goes from boring to unwatchable fast. Had the big change in late '99 been something to breathe life into the top of the card (instead of car crash TV), WWF was conceivably catchable.

I'm actually going to go with the Radicalz leaving. Look at TNA for its entire lifespan (aside from that beautiful 2007 run which admittedly was still goofy as hell) and it's been BAD. Nonsensical booking, swerves, endless NWO rebirths, gross mismanagement, TNA should have died so many times, but the one thing everybody could point at was the workrate. Even in the worst "Ex-WWE guys run the joint" points, everyone was trying to put on good matches even if everything else was poo poo, and I think that kept fans from completely giving up on the product (until Hogan/Bischoff, that was the death knell).

Without the Radicalz, proven workhorses that had earned respect and love from the fans, WCW killed the loyal base, because it told the audience "We don't care about wrestling, we don't respect anyone who does, we're Sports Entertainment now, go complain online".

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

While the Fingerpoke was bullshit, WCW only became totally unwatchable as of the 10/18/99 Nitro.

Which one was that?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Which one was that?

Start of the first Russo run. The change is immediately obvious – 100 segments each going 10 seconds, worked shoots, bottom barrel like the Nitro girls getting into a catfight, etc.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Why did the WCW have such lovely cameras? Everything was so gray.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

That was just hogan

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hi Bret! Big fan!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Animal-Mother posted:

Why did the WCW have such lovely cameras? Everything was so gray.
It was also made worse by their pyro. I'm not sure why WWF didn't have thia problem, but WCW's always left this thick haze over the entire arena.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

It was also made worse by their pyro. I'm not sure why WWF didn't have thia problem, but WCW's always left this thick haze over the entire arena.

a lot of WCW shows seemed to be in smaller, older arenas that likely didn't have as good of ventilation. WWF/E always seemed to have better lighting too which would have helped.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Vastly preferred the way a WCW show looked, looked more like a boxing event.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

WWF looked like a super slick TV production and WCW looked more gritty. It worked for both products, I think, until WCW tried to ape WWF production but badly since they didn’t have the experience or talent to do it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Vastly preferred the way a WCW show looked, looked more like a boxing event.

Right down to the refs having light blue short sleeve button up shirts with bow ties.

that look ruled.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Like a lot of things WCW did, the MTV-style vignettes could have been innovative and meaningful if it wasn't a bunch of old guys horsing around in segments that went on way, way too long.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I never liked WCW putting logos in the middle of the ring, I always found it distracting.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The WCW ring sounded so much better than WWF's though. I think it had to do with how much it would compress on the springs but getting a big move or a big slam in WCW always sounded way more visceral and powerful than in the WWF where it sounded a lot more muted. It made watching Benoit/Malenko/Jericho matches a lot more fun when you're watching Benoit do an insanely fast and tight german suplex with a loud THWAM at the end of it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DJExile posted:

Right down to the refs having light blue short sleeve button up shirts with bow ties.

that look ruled.

The thing that got me was that used to be the look of the WWF refs, while the NWA had the striped shirts. Then it seemed like one day, both companies mutually decided to swap looks, with WWF adopting the striped shirts and WCW going for the button shirt/bow tie look.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

The WCW ring sounded so much better than WWF's though. I think it had to do with how much it would compress on the springs but getting a big move or a big slam in WCW always sounded way more visceral and powerful than in the WWF where it sounded a lot more muted. It made watching Benoit/Malenko/Jericho matches a lot more fun when you're watching Benoit do an insanely fast and tight german suplex with a loud THWAM at the end of it.

Yeah the WCW ring had a sort of hollow sound when guys would land on it, it was really unique, I’ve still not heard any company’s ring have that sound.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

DJExile posted:

that look ruled.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Brian Hildebrand ruled.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

algebra testes posted:

Brian Hildebrand ruled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Curtis_Memorial_Reunion

This kinda thing rules.

Fad
Nov 13, 2002

I dont care.

Dude in the white tank top is so thrilled with what is going down.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

im more taken with how far Scott Hall has to lean over just to be at eye level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Nash hanging with Hall made him seem average sized when he's fuckin' gigantic.