Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Judakel posted:

All three of them, yes. If not three, it wasn't so "mild" - unclinically speaking.

I think you may have absorbed some incorrect facts about vaccines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Fritz the Horse posted:

Vaccine effectiveness against severe illness waned for immunocompromised and elderly people and against infection for everyone, that's why you got a booster. Not because vaccines are much less effective against Delta, but because two-shot vaccine effectiveness wanes.

People got a booster against Delta because even clinically mild covid can kick your rear end regardless of the status of your immune system. It just kicks your rear end at home, rather than the hospital.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think you may have absorbed some incorrect facts about vaccines.

No, I don't think so.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Judakel posted:

People got a booster against Delta because even clinically mild covid can kick your rear end regardless of the status of your immune system. It just kicks your rear end at home, rather than the hospital.

No, I don't think so.

I'm not sure if you mean to be saying this, but this reads to me like the boosters were formulated specifically to combat Delta.

To my knowledge, they were not; they're just the same stuff as the first 2, but 6 months later.

It is true that there was talk of maybe needing to have variant-specific boosters, but to my knowledge none of that has made it past the theory phase and have been spun up into production, simply due to the fact that the original stuff that's already rolling off the line is "good enough"

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Zarin posted:

I'm not sure if you mean to be saying this, but this reads to me like the boosters were formulated specifically to combat Delta.

To my knowledge, they were not; they're just the same stuff as the first 2, but 6 months later.

It is true that there was talk of maybe needing to have variant-specific boosters, but to my knowledge none of that has made it past the theory phase and have been spun up into production, simply due to the fact that the original stuff that's already rolling off the line is "good enough"

What I am saying is that people didn't just need boosters to combat the potential for infection from delta, but to increase the amount of antibodies available for the rapid response that was needed against delta even if infected. That strain attacks so rapidly that t cells cannot spin up enough antibodies before people are "mildly" sick (read: pretty sick). T cells still eventually would be able to produce enough, but you really wanted to avoid getting people very sick and producing that much virus.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Judakel posted:

What I am saying is that people didn't just need boosters to combat the potential for infection from delta, but to increase the amount of antibodies available for the rapid response that was needed against delta even if infected. That strain attacks so rapidly that t cells cannot spin up enough antibodies before people are "mildly" sick (read: pretty sick). T cells still eventually would be able to produce enough, but you really wanted to avoid getting people very sick and producing that much virus.

Ah, gotcha, I see what you're saying. Yeah, I mis-read then, sorry about that.

I hadn't considered that angle of the booster benefit; I really only ever just read that effectiveness from the second shot started dropping off after 6 months, so a 3rd one was a good idea.

With that in mind then, yeah, it'll be real interesting to see how Omicron plays out. Also if we see a waning effectiveness after the 3rd shot, or if that holds immunity up a bit longer.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I mean some waning after a third shot is inevitable, that's expected for antibodies. The question is how durable the antibodies and memory cell immunity are.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Judakel posted:

That doesn't really jive with what we saw here in Ontario. Our cases were dropping even in the face of Delta until now where most people are 6 months from their second shot.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Judakel posted:

https://twitter.com/SteveMillerOC/status/1467948685103230977

"You can catch the Delta variant when fully vaccinated, but symptoms will likely be mild or non-existent, data suggests"

https://www.businessinsider.com/delta-variant-infection-vaccinated-often-mild-hardly-notice-2021-7

Even the vaccinated got their asses kicked with delta, they just didn't require hospitalization, which is clinically mild, but not really mild.

Regarding the second tweet - what exactly happened between November 18th and November 19th?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Zarin posted:

Ah, gotcha, I see what you're saying. Yeah, I mis-read then, sorry about that.

I hadn't considered that angle of the booster benefit; I really only ever just read that effectiveness from the second shot started dropping off after 6 months, so a 3rd one was a good idea.

With that in mind then, yeah, it'll be real interesting to see how Omicron plays out. Also if we see a waning effectiveness after the 3rd shot, or if that holds immunity up a bit longer.

Omicron at least does not attack as fast as delta, which makes sense since it is descendant from alpha/gamma and not delta. So we're back to a window of a couple of weeks or so.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

That doesn't really jive with what we saw here in Ontario. Our cases were dropping even in the face of Delta until now where most people are 6 months from their second shot.

If you're still within the six month window of your second shot then you're fine. Canada stumbled assbackwards into the smartest way to administer the vaccine, which seems to be a longer delay between the first and second shot. This was largely due to a lack of supply, but they got it right anyway. Due to the timing of when most people got the 2nd shot in America, by the time you started seeing articles on delta popping up, it was time for the old people and immunocompromised to get their boosters anyway. Of course, we waited a while after that to give the go ahead for them to get their boosters.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Judakel posted:

This doesn't seem true at all.

Vaccinated people, of any type, are currently 14% as likely to be infected at all as unvaccinated people, and 93% less likely to die. https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#rates-by-vaccine-status

There wasn't some thing where delta invalidated vaccines and we all needed boosters to get them to work again. Waning was like, a few percent loss. (a few percent that could be regained by taking a 15 dollar shot, so we did that, but waning was the START of losing immunity, not the point it dropped to zero)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Vaccinated people, of any type, are currently 14% as likely to be infected at all as unvaccinated people, and 93% less likely to die. https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#rates-by-vaccine-status

There wasn't some thing where delta invalidated vaccines and we all needed boosters to get them to work again. Waning was like, a few percent loss. (a few percent that could be regained by taking a 15 dollar shot, so we did that, but waning was the START of losing immunity, not the point it dropped to zero)

Yeah it's this. The booster isn't used to bring us from 10% back to 50%. By this point, it's something more like the slight difference between 75% and 80%. But since that is a strict improvement without any remarkable downsides, everyone is advised to get a third shot.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That great but I didn't say it completely invalidated the vaccines. Anyway, you can read about the drop here: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2114228

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think it’s a good idea to break down this sort data by age group. It’s well known that old fucks don’t retain their immune response for long after the initial round of vaccination, but that doesn’t seem to be the case for younger people. Presenting a single stat for the entire population isn’t really relevant for the majority of goons I’d imagine and presents a far bleaker picture than is actually the case.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah it's this. The booster isn't used to bring us from 10% back to 50%. By this point, it's something more like the slight difference between 75% and 80%. But since that is a strict improvement without any remarkable downsides, everyone is advised to get a third shot.

More like 40% drop. https://www.reuters.com/business/he...udy-2021-10-04/

TheJunkyardGod
Sep 19, 2004

Do not taunt the Octopus
Welp, we made it this far but unfortunately my wife tested positive. Working in a preschool pretty much made it inevitable.

I just tested negative and my kids have tests scheduled for the morning. She's vaccinated and really only mildly symptomatic. We're doing our best to isolate but it seems like only a matter of time before we're all sick. My oldest has both shots and the two younger ones got their first shot a week ago.

Edit: We really can't afford a hotel for the 10 days or whatever. If they test back negative we might have to figure something out but I'm not sure what choice we have other than masks in the house. I'm not even sure I can take off work unless I test positive myself.

TheJunkyardGod fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 7, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TheJunkyardGod posted:

Welp, we made it this far but unfortunately my wife tested positive. Working in a preschool pretty much made it inevitable.

I just tested negative and my kids have tests scheduled for the morning. She's vaccinated and really only mildly symptomatic. We're doing our best to isolate but it seems like only a matter of time before we're all sick. My oldest has both shots and the two younger ones got their first shot a week ago.

Put her in a hotel to quarantine if you can afford it. Those younger ones don't have the vaccine up and running in them yet.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

TheJunkyardGod posted:

Sorry to hear it, and fingers crossed for a rapid and easy recovery.

Don't assume that it's a foregone conclusion that you're going to be infected though - even within a household, transmission is not a foregone conclusion, so it probably would still be worthwhile to avoid as much exposure between infected and uninfected family members as possible.

(My data is wildly out of date, but back in 2020, the study I read regarding household transmission of wild strain was something like <20% likelihood.)

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

TheJunkyardGod posted:

This is just one anecdote but one of the people I work with had four of her five kids test positive two weeks ago, they've been under quarantine since and had multiple tests. She's vaccinated and been wearing an N95 and trying to spend time outdoors (it's been unseasonably warm), but she's also a single mother of five taking care of four sick kids. Somehow she and the fifth kid have managed to not catch COVID during those two weeks.

It sucks and best wishes to your family, but it's not an inevitability everyone gets sick.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PostNouveau posted:

I remember people saying Delta was milder and also going "where are the deaths?" a week after it got here.

We'll know more in a few weeks but it seems too early to tell if omicron is milder or not

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I don’t remember that at all, delta got wide attention as “a thing” by being “the variant that is loving up India”, it didn’t even get the delta name until after people were calling it the modi variant and stuff.

I remember.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

"The effectiveness of the Pfizer Inc (PFE.N)/BioNTech SE vaccine in preventing infection by the coronavirus dropped to 47% from 88% six months after the second dose... the vaccine's effectiveness in preventing hospitalization and death remained high at 90% for at least six months, even against the highly contagious Delta variant of the coronavirus.

It's useful to read the article and not just the headline.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

gay picnic defence posted:

I think it’s a good idea to break down this sort data by age group. It’s well known that old fucks don’t retain their immune response for long after the initial round of vaccination, but that doesn’t seem to be the case for younger people. Presenting a single stat for the entire population isn’t really relevant for the majority of goons I’d imagine and presents a far bleaker picture than is actually the case.

You can click the very link in that post to find that data

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 7, 2021

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

freebooter posted:

"The effectiveness of the Pfizer Inc (PFE.N)/BioNTech SE vaccine in preventing infection by the coronavirus dropped to 47% from 88% six months after the second dose... the vaccine's effectiveness in preventing hospitalization and death remained high at 90% for at least six months, even against the highly contagious Delta variant of the coronavirus.

It’s also useful to focus on the things that actually matter. Almost no one gives a poo poo about their likelihood of getting a severe cold but they do care about going to hospital which the vaccines seem to be really good at preventing despite the fuss about declining immunity.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You can click the very link in that post to find that data

holy crap, you can click links and not just breathlessly react to the headline? gamechanger if true.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

It’s also useful to focus on the things that actually matter. Almost no one gives a poo poo about their likelihood of getting a severe cold but they do care about going to hospital which the vaccines seem to be really good at preventing despite the fuss about declining immunity.

Breakthrough COVID isn't a "severe cold". It's significantly more dangerous than seasonal influenza if you're over ~40, with a higher likelihood of lingering symptoms. It's more dangerous than the most severe "cold" across the board, except maybe RSV for < 5 (if you want to lump that in with colds).

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

TheJunkyardGod posted:

Edit: We really can't afford a hotel for the 10 days or whatever. If they test back negative we might have to figure something out but I'm not sure what choice we have other than masks in the house. I'm not even sure I can take off work unless I test positive myself.

For whatever it's worth, my wife popped positive back in August. She's a teacher, so she picked it up there most likely. She was vaccinated back in February.

We thought for sure both of our kids picked it up (2 & 4), but it turns out they came down with rsv right at the same time and tested negative for COVID several times during our quarantine. We pretty much lived outside and us adults in masks for two weeks, but it's not exactly easy to get a 2yo to understand what's going on.

Of course fast forward to the beginning of November and most likely one or both kids bring it home to me anyway. I wore an n95 for about 15 hours a day around the house.

It sucks, it's hectic, it's extremely stressful, but you the best you can.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
for some reason, people that spend boatloads of time next to positive people just, like, don't catch it; i recall talking to my neighbor and, in february, her husband and both their teenage sons tested positive and despite spending all their time together in the time before the positive test, she didn't catch it

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

freebooter posted:

Why would you think this is relevant to a discussion concerning the prevention of infection? It's useful to read the thread, too.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Stickman posted:

Breakthrough COVID isn't a "severe cold". It's significantly more dangerous than seasonal influenza if you're over ~40, with a higher likelihood of lingering symptoms. It's more dangerous than the most severe "cold" across the board, except maybe RSV for < 5 (if you want to lump that in with colds).

It's also potentially a major personal disruption or even loss of wages.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Craig K posted:

for some reason, people that spend boatloads of time next to positive people just, like, don't catch it; i recall talking to my neighbor and, in february, her husband and both their teenage sons tested positive and despite spending all their time together in the time before the positive test, she didn't catch it

If it's a legitimate exposure, the immune system has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let's assume that maybe that didn't work or something. I think there should be some punishment

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Judakel posted:

Why would you think this is relevant to a discussion concerning the prevention of infection? It's useful to read the thread, too.

Because you were asserting that "clinically mild" means anything short of hospitalisation and therefore even fully vaccinated healthy people need to be really worried about catching COVID.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Craig K posted:

It has more to do with the positive person than it does with everyone else. You know how superspreaders are a thing? If you share a house with one, you’re probably going to get infected. If not, you may escape.

Or at least, you would have. The household secondary attack rate in 2020 was something like twenty percent. It’s a lot higher with Delta.

In technical terms, the transmission dynamics are “overdispersed”. It’s not that everyone infects four people. Lots of people infect one person or no one, but a few go on to sicken scores.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Platystemon posted:

In technical terms, the transmission dynamics are “overdispersed”. It’s not that everyone infects four people. Lots of people infect one person or no one, but a few go on to sicken scores.

yeah, that's a good way to put it; i didn't really think about it that way

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Stickman posted:

I don't think that is true: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanmic/article/PIIS2666-5247(21)00306-2/fulltext

quote:

Despite compelling evidence that SARS-CoV-2 vaccines are highly effective in preventing COVID-19 infections, breakthrough cases have been emerging at an increasing rate.1 A retrospective cohort study by Tartof and colleagues2 found that vaccine effectiveness against COVID-19 decreased over time; however, its effectiveness against hospitalisation associated with COVID-19 remained robust, with no apparent reduction in vaccine effectiveness between 1 month (87%) and 5 months (88%) after vaccination with the BNT162b2 vaccine. Although most breakthrough COVID-19 cases are mild or moderate in severity, severe cases and deaths have been reported. In this Comment, we describe the shift in the landscape of severe COVID-19 requiring hospitalisation in a health system with high regional vaccination rates, whereby 90·9% of individuals aged 65–74 years and 85·6% of those aged 75 years and older are fully vaccinated as of Oct 17, 2021.4

quote:

Among the patients with severe or critical COVID-19, the age distribution of patients with breakthrough infections was skewed towards older age groups (mean age 71·5 years) compared with those who were unvaccinated (55·2 years; appendix p 2). Furthermore, underlying comorbidities—including cardiovascular and lung disease, type 2 diabetes, history of malignancy, and baseline use of immunosuppressive medications—were more prevalent in patients with breakthrough infections than in those who were unvaccinated (appendix p 3). Despite these differences, which could potentially portend worse clinical outcomes for the patients with severe breakthrough COVID-19, we observed a shorter mean duration of hospitalisation (10·8 days vs 13·1 days), lower risk of advanced oxygen or ventilatory support (26 [32%] of 82 vs 72 [51%] of 140 patients), and lower in-hospital mortality (eight [10%] vs 17 [12%] patients) among patients with breakthrough COVID-19 than among those who were unvaccinated.

Most breakthrough infections are described as "mild or moderate", making them indeed similar to a bad cold. I also wasn't able to find anything that suggests a higher likelihood of lingering symptoms in breakthrough cases.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

freebooter posted:

Because you were asserting that "clinically mild" means anything short of hospitalisation and therefore even fully vaccinated healthy people need to be really worried about catching COVID.

Correct. Your clarification changes nothing about my question. Clinically mild means not requiring hospitalizations. Fully vaccinated healthy people should've been concerned about catching delta given when boosters were greenlit and when most fully vaccinated people got the second shot in the US. The poster I was replying to was referring to infections. So on, so forth.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Most breakthrough infections are described as "mild or moderate", making them indeed similar to a bad cold. I also wasn't able to find anything that suggests a higher likelihood of lingering symptoms in breakthrough cases.

The same statement could be made for cases in an unvaccinated, completely naive population.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/mkarolian/status/1467959999645298697?s=20

It’s not just other countries.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I'm shocked that South Dakota is doing any remotely responsible things wrt COVID

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Jesus she's awful. Yes you should be sending tests to everyone regularly. Masks, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

brugroffil posted:

Jesus she's awful. Yes you should be sending tests to everyone regularly. Masks, too.

lol OK V. Lenin and how exactly is the federal government supposed to just mail things to everyone???