Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Terry Goodkind was an absolute bellend with an ironic lastname. I also just found out he died last year so that's some great news for today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

the_steve posted:

Absolutely. My point was just that I didn't think authors typically got any say-so in the artwork for their book covers.

generally they don't and i imagine they have even less say on international covers

I doubt Pratchett gave a gently caress what the American publisher did except paying him

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

the_steve posted:

Absolutely. My point was just that I didn't think authors typically got any say-so in the artwork for their book covers.

From what I've heard, no. It gets way worse than this too. I got recommended a book about a young black girl who's dealing with the fallout of her friend being killed by the police, and whoever published it in my country just straight up put a white girl on the cover.

Goodkind (when he was alive) also tried to sic his fans on one of the cover artists for his post-Sword of Truth series, he was angry she drew the characters 'wrong' or something. I honestly can't say if the cover was accurate or not, but her response was essentially, 'I drew exactly what was requested' (presumably by his publishers).

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Torquemada has a new favorite as of 18:25 on Dec 6, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

One of my few clear memories of elementary school is of when Gordon Korman of Bugs Potter fame came to give a talk, and someone asked him why the cover of one of his books had two female characters laughing along with the male main characters of the novel when the actual event in the story has only the two main characters alone, and he replied by saying that the publisher wanted to trick people into thinking there were female characters in the novel so that more people would buy it.

I don’t know how well any of those novels aged, but some of them had female characters.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

the_steve posted:

Case in point:

The main character in Take Back Plenty is black

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

One of my few clear memories of elementary school is of when Gordon Korman of Bugs Potter fame came to give a talk, and someone asked him why the cover of one of his books had two female characters laughing along with the male main characters of the novel when the actual event in the story has only the two main characters alone, and he replied by saying that the publisher wanted to trick people into thinking there were female characters in the novel so that more people would buy it.

I don’t know how well any of those novels aged, but some of them had female characters.

For the most part, not horribly.
They're dated for sure but nothing too shameful in them.
The McDonald Hall ones even got a couple movies made a few years ago.

Worst that comes to mind is the generic creating an indigenous character out of thin air in Bugs Potter live at Nickaninny.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

I doubt Pratchett gave a gently caress what the American publisher did except paying him

IIRC he got pretty heated when the German publisher inserted ads for soup into the text of his earlier books

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Khizan posted:

Note, the book he was throwing that fit about actually had a dragon as a major plot point, it was not a case of ‘gently caress it, people like dragons, add one to the cover’.

It wasn't really a dragon at all but he was so poo poo at describing it that the message got muddled. It was more a giant scaly chicken. I'm pretty sure that was the last book I read in the series. Not sure why I continued after the female protagonist takes a moment to consider the taste of her hymen on the main protags dick

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That Italian Guy posted:

The classic cover doesn't have any racial connotations, but otoh it has TwoFlowers with literally 4 eyes because apparently the author has never heard about the moniker.

EDIT: same thing in The Light Fantastic. So it wasn't an isolated incident :v:

It has nothing to do with Pratchett and everything to do with artist Josh Kirby being a brush for hire who would do a couple of dozen book covers a year. When Kirby was given his brief it was two pages from the book: the scene where Twoflower and the Luggage rescue Rincewind in the Broken Drum, and Rincewind's description of Twoflower from their first meeting. In that description Rincewind thinks of Twoflower as literally having four eyes because he has never seen spectacles before, and without context that's how Kirby drew him. He had no description of Rincewind at all other than "wizard, wears a red robe with stars on it" and so he drew a traditional grey-bearded Gandalf type instead of the rat-faced 33 year old he's meant to be. And Pterry, as a neophyte author, had no clout to get it changed.

By the time it came to TLF Kirby knew a bit better, but he had to draw the characters the same way as on the first cover for continuity.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It wasn't really a dragon at all but he was so poo poo at describing it that the message got muddled. It was more a giant scaly chicken. I'm pretty sure that was the last book I read in the series. Not sure why I continued after the female protagonist takes a moment to consider the taste of her hymen on the main protags dick

I think you're mixing several books up. There's an Evil Chicken That Is Not A Chicken, but Scarlet ( https://sot.fandom.com/wiki/Dragon) is definitely a D&D-like red dragon. Later, when magic briefly ceases to exist, many of the magical creatures of the world die off, including most of the dragons.

The, uh, other part also happens, in the 4th book.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Phy posted:

IIRC he got pretty heated when the German publisher inserted ads for soup into the text of his earlier books

Whaaaaaaat

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

On that note, every now and then I remember the covers for the German translations of Game of Thrones:

"I'm here to draw shirtless vikings and I don't care what you say it's about."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

GreenMetalSun posted:

I think you're mixing several books up. There's an Evil Chicken That Is Not A Chicken, but Scarlet ( https://sot.fandom.com/wiki/Dragon) is definitely a D&D-like red dragon. Later, when magic briefly ceases to exist, many of the magical creatures of the world die off, including most of the dragons.

The, uh, other part also happens, in the 4th book.

They don't even have it happen on screen. It's basically

Main Character: "So if Magic is in flux like this, then what about creatures of magic?"
Someone Else: "Dead. Totes dead."
MC: "Ah. Sucks for them, oh well."

And the red dragon was ostensibly his friend.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
A few pages back now, but I always felt the Drow took WAY more from the Black Martians of ERB's Barsoom stuff than they did from the Svartalfr.
The Black Martians were said to be the most physically beautiful of all Martians. Check.
The Black Martians were, well, black. Check.
The Black Martians lived underground and only really interacted with outsiders to raid for slaves and sport. Check.
The Black Martians were ruled by an insane theocracy dedicated to an insane goddess. Check.
And while they weren't matriarchal, the Black Martian women were mentioned as doing literally nothing and having everything - in some cases even speaking - done by slaves. Men did nothing but fight. All else was done by slaves. Again, kind of fits.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Arivia posted:

Whaaaaaaat

He changed publishers for the German editions just as his novels were starting to take off, which was considered unusual.

Terry Pratchett posted:

There were a number of reasons for switching to Goldmann, but a deeply personal one for me was the way Heyne (in Sourcery, I think, although it may have been in other books) inserted a soup advert in the text … a few black lines and then something like ‘Around about now our heroes must be pretty hungry and what better than a nourishing bowl’… etc, etc. My editor was pretty sick about it, but the company wouldn’t promise not to do it again, so that made it very easy to leave them. They did it to Iain Banks, too, and apparently at a con he tore out the offending page and ate it. Without croutons.

Apparently the publisher did it with all their genre fiction and could not understand what they had done wrong.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sweevo posted:

He changed publishers for the German editions just as his novels were starting to take off, which was considered unusual.

Apparently the publisher did it with all their genre fiction and could not understand what they had done wrong.

Here’s an example of them doing it in a William Gibson work

https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1096179718997520384?s=21

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

the_steve posted:

They don't even have it happen on screen. It's basically

Main Character: "So if Magic is in flux like this, then what about creatures of magic?"
Someone Else: "Dead. Totes dead."
MC: "Ah. Sucks for them, oh well."

And the red dragon was ostensibly his friend.

"Even the fairies?"
"Yes Richard, every creature's dead."
"...even the dragons?"
"Every creature's dead Rick."
"..even the minotaurs?"
"They're all dead. Every creature's dead Rick."
"The orcs aren't are they?"
"Every creature''s dead Rick."
"The medusa?"
"She is dead, everybody's dead. Every creature is. dead. Rick."

(I made up creatures for the joke, never read the books. I only know one of the main characters is called Richard)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If Jack Kirby redesigns your characters, even inadvertently, you gotta rewrite them to match The King's vision. Those are simply the rules.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Detective No. 27 posted:

If Jack Kirby redesigns your characters, even inadvertently, you gotta rewrite them to match The King's vision. Those are simply the rules.
Agree, but the artist in question is Josh Kirby.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Agree, but the artist in question is Josh Kirby.

:doh: this explains why that cover looks nothing like Jack Kirby's.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Which one of them drew the Hal Laboratory Inc. dog eggs?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Dibbler is pretty much a caricature of sausage sellers.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I get why authors would get mad but I think the soup thing is actually cool and hilarious.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kit Walker posted:

Terry Goodkind was an absolute bellend with an ironic lastname. I also just found out he died last year so that's some great news for today

Nice

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sweevo posted:

I've got a soup-er idea

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I always thought Earthsea was supposed to be the gold standard for non-problematic fantasy, but I still have those books sitting unread so I can't personally vouch.

Hm, maybe I'll start that tonight.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
If you are willing to separate art from artist because there have been some plausible allegations, pretty much anything by China Mieville.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I occasionally see the Japanese tourist trope come up even as late as 2000's Disney Channel shows. It's rarely hateful but often feels disrespectful. I wasn't around for the 80's but it's always a gaggle of Japanese people blindly following a tour guide and mindlessly snapping pictures. Maybe it's true to life but to me it invokes a stereotype of conformity and herd mentality among Asians. Like in Forgetting Sarah Marshall the joke is that they're taking photos of random cutlery.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I occasionally see the Japanese tourist trope come up even as late as 2000's Disney Channel shows. It's rarely hateful but often feels disrespectful. I wasn't around for the 80's but it's always a gaggle of Japanese people blindly following a tour guide and mindlessly snapping pictures. Maybe it's true to life but to me it invokes a stereotype of conformity and herd mentality among Asians. Like in Forgetting Sarah Marshall the joke is that they're taking photos of random cutlery.

IIRC there were a lot of Japanese tourists visiting foreign countries in the 80s before the bubble burst. My guess is that the large groups thing was either because the vacations were prepackaged tour groups or it was some sort of "We don't know the language super-well so if we go in a big group we should be able to figure it out and at least we'll be safer" kind of idea.

But I'm guessing it was mostly the packaged tour thing.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Ror posted:

I always thought Earthsea was supposed to be the gold standard for non-problematic fantasy, but I still have those books sitting unread so I can't personally vouch.

Hm, maybe I'll start that tonight.

The first one is pretty good. The others are also fine but maybe not as compelling. The last one…I dunno, it felt like it was written by someone else and had no relation to anything else. Absolutely bizarre

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

There used to be a Chinese place near me that several times a week would get literal busloads of (presumably) Chinese tourists.

As soon as Covid travel restrictions hit that place folded up.

Tourists in general seem to travel in packs. At least I've seldom seen loan tourists of any nationality.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Kevin DuBrow posted:

there are some aspects of the Japanese Tourist trope that ring true, but I have found it has more to do with them interacting with wildlife in other countries. A friend of mine has been living in Japan for the past 4 years and he has told me that there aren't really parks like we think of in North America, which also means that even simple wildlife like deer are a huge loving deal, especially if you've lived your whole life in Tokyo. Now when you've got things like taking photos of literally every little thing? You can make that about a tourist of any nationality, making them specifically Japanese or Asian does feel cheap and ultimately something you don't need to do anymore. Kinda like the call center bit from the first Transformers movie, or those twin Autobots in 2 and 3

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Taking photos also ties into Japanese gift giving culture where you can share a present (the photo). Photo culture in Japan developed in the post-war period and is consequently super hosed up.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Photo culture in Japan developed in the post-war period and is consequently super hosed up.

Curious to hear more about this because I'm not exactly sure what you're driving at.

Aside from horny postwar photogs like Daido Moriyama, but I'm not sure I'd label him "hosed up".

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Losing a colonialist war and then being colonized so old norms are destroyed and replaced by aping a colonizing force is a pretty hosed up context for an aspect of your culture to develop. Folding that humiliation into a new nationalist is the sort of "making lemonaid from lemons" that, on an individual level would be a hosed up fetish. On a national level it is just weird.

Hence, taking photos is part of japanese gift giving culture where you share part of your experience but also weirdly extreme and hosed up.

The whole post war period before the economic boom was a weird time. The economic boom was also a weird time but more of a return to normal.

Like, even the context used to discuss how weird Japan is has colonial sexual exploitation vibes.

Vitruvian Manic has a new favorite as of 04:40 on Dec 7, 2021

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Comfort women?

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Losing a colonialist war and then being colonized so old norms are destroyed and replaced by aping a colonizing force is a pretty hosed up context for an aspect of your culture to develop. Folding that humiliation into a new nationalist is the sort of "making lemonaid from lemons" that, on an individual level would be a hosed up fetish. On a national level it is just weird.

Hence, taking photos is part of japanese gift giving culture where you share part of your experience but also weirdly extreme and hosed up.

The whole post war period before the economic boom was a weird time. The economic boom was also a weird time but more of a return to normal.

Like, even the context used to discuss how weird Japan is has colonial sexual exploitation vibes.

Really trying to understand this, can you elucidate a bit more on how the first paragraph connects to the second?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Midcentury Americans also fetishized photographs as a way of sharing an experience, as seen in the recurring comic storytelling trope of someone being bored by having to sit through a slideshow of their friends’ vacation.

There’s also the image of the Ugly American, who has a lot in common with the 80s Japanese tourist trope, except that the ugly American was also ruining the places he went with his boorishness and hedonism. America, as essentially boorish and hedonistic, can’t be ruined by tourism that way, though. I guess 80s Americans were just offended by hearing a language other than English or seeing a culture that isn’t America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I guess 80s Americans were just offended by hearing a language other than English or seeing a culture that isn’t America.

Pretty much, yes.

Though I think a lot of it can be a 'first generation tourist' thing, when a country gets enough of a middle class to have a large amount of visible tourists visiting affordable spots that are new and exotic to them.