Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Grubby Hobo posted:

I'm not going to be a space janitor unless I can spend $250 on a gold mop.

Which some guy that spent $50 for a starter ship will steal from you after overdosing you with the magic healing beam gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

trucutru posted:

It's so that both the people who like to park their ship and the ones that don't are happy, which is good design.

Not everybody likes a certain system, no matter how good so if it's is a) something you're forced to do often and b) fairly inconsequential, then there is no harm done by automating it for some.

It's like those super realistic prepare to take-off measures you have to do in flight simulators. Some people love to go thru all that crap, some just want to fly now. And you want to accommodate both.

i'd just make it a game setting toggle then, ain't all gotta be diagetic

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

El Spamo posted:

Picked up CoD:IW on sale, because why not? Took me a few days to play through it, it was fun and looked good and ran fine on my fairly old potato of a desktop, and looking back I've paid more money for worse movies on a $/hour scale.
I don't know what SC's goal is (I say 'is' not 'was' because lol at SC completing a goal), to replicate the story but like... play out the entire war I guess?

I guess I should buy an Idris

Yeah I picked that up too for like 14 bucks. Totally worth it. Didn't even know it had actual space battles as well.

Between that and Chorus I'm 100% filled up of awesome space combat games that are legitimately well-designed and fun to play. They blow Star Citizen out of the water really and show the strong benefits of limiting the scope of a game to something you can actually deliver/perfect.

I'm not remotely worried about being wrong when I say that both of those games have better space combat than Star Citizen will ever have, period

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cod iw also looks as good if not better, is way better written and acted than anything sc will do, and does the hardnosed military in space thing better than sc ever will.

None of these are open to question on my mind.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

JuffoWup posted:

Which some guy that spent $50 for a starter ship will steal from you after overdosing you with the magic healing beam gun.

Not at all, not at all. We, the peons, will be the true Kings of Star Citizens. All those whales, who spent so much money on huge ships they can't fly by themselves? They need us. They will bid high for our services. They will try to entice us from each other's ships. No starter ship pleb will get within a parsec of us. We're too valuable.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Grubby Hobo posted:

Not at all, not at all. We, the peons, will be the true Kings of Star Citizens. All those whales, who spent so much money on huge ships they can't fly by themselves? They need us. They will bid high for our services. They will try to entice us from each other's ships. No starter ship pleb will get within a parsec of us. We're too valuable.

If there is ever a game to play and I can rear end myself into downloading, my dream is to be a peon at some critical station and just loving up beyond belief during a critical battle. I know it will never happen, but I am content in the thought of it.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

If CIG made Microsoft Flight Simulator:

- Each plane would cost around $800 - uniforms and cat helmets extra
- You would have to carry all the food on board by hand one box at a time
- Forget refuelling, thats coming in patch eleventy five zero honestly
- Manual plane mopping between flights
- The NPCs would all sit in the same seat
- The plane would handle like a helicopter
- There would be a 'golf swing' mini game for taking a dump in the toilet every 20 minutes
- Emergent gameplay around OD'ing your air hostesses with healing drugs / rohypnol
- Every time they add a new airport they have to remove one
- If you somehow get a landing wrong you become a criminal and must smash rocks in an offworld prison

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

i'd just make it a game setting toggle then, ain't all gotta be diagetic

I like it better as an ingame system, which for all intents and purposes, functions exactly like a game setting toggle.

->Enter Ship->Go to Outfitting->Buy/equip module->Done forever with that ship.

How is that so much worse than:

->Enter Menu->Go to Ship Settings->Toggle Setting->Done until the next time you fly a nimble ship and have to switch it back. Then switch it again next time you fly a cargo ship.

Pick a different hill to die on, this one's silly.

Herb Dington fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 7, 2021

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Herb Dington posted:

:ironicat:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Herb Dington posted:

I like it better as an ingame system, which for all intents and purposes, functions exactly like a game setting toggle.

->Enter Menu->Go to Ship Settings->Toggle Setting->Done until the next time you fly a nimble ship and have to switch it back. Then switch it again next time you fly a cargo ship.

I have the toggle mapped to L.Alt+R.Shift+F9 like any civilized person.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Herb Dington posted:

:blastu:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Archered from :reddit:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Gravity_Storm posted:

- There would be a 'golf swing' mini game for taking a dump in the toilet every 20 minutes
- Emergent gameplay around OD'ing your air hostesses with healing drugs / rohypnol
- If you somehow get a landing wrong you become a criminal and must smash rocks in an offworld prison

But the NPCs wouldn't sit. They would stand on the chair in t-pose.

Back to the conversation earlier, it is a good thought question. What games really does allow a person and say 9 friends to enjoy together. Wargaming limits squads to 3. MMORPGS generally limit to 5. Which is enforced when it comes to dungeons. Eve Online being an exception to that rule.

But adding to the stakes, name some games that allows a range of 1-10 people to play together at any time. Again, there was the mention of clan battles or skirmishes with WoT and WoWS, but also mentioned the tiring effort of wrangling your friends to a set game time. However as adults, you can't rely on the same people every night. And not even at the same time.

Eve Online is one option as you can do pve missions and faction warfare solo. However, when ramping up to 10 people, it is more of a struggle. Faction Warfare still exists for that. And general lowsec tomfoolery. If you are in a large corp/alliance, then there are more options of course including nullsec things. However, in a more laid back fashion as being suggested, I'm sticking to a more highsec/lowsec thing. Also, the lowsec roaming as 10 people is still a mixed idea as I hear the meta has moved to everyone taking an even fight and deciding it is more fun to just jump in 10x more people/ship size because they could.

Farming Simulator 22 just came out and it too can do that. Sort of though. If the person hosting isn't on every night, then it doesn't work. If you do a dedicated server, there is a partial watch to make sure someone is on once in awhile to make sure crops don't wither.

So in that regards, I can see how some people are holding out some hope for star citizen. But also is kind of weird that games generally don't account for gamer dads and their friends anymore. Or hell, gamer families and their friends. With locked party sizes of 3-5 generally speaking. Even in larger open games like battlefield/cod/whatever. One day might be a night of 3 people, the next night, just you, and another night everyone is on (because it is the weekend).

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

A Concerned Citizen posted:

Maybe I've been reading too many stories about how VAC has perma-banned innocent players. Whether it was from bugs or misunderstandings or mutually exclusive third-party applications. Players do not get a fair hearing or compensation for their loss. Accounts are tossed to the wind. As someone who is just a hair's width of contributing $2500 into this project, THIS TERRIFIES ME.

What is going to happen with this anti-cheat functionality?
What is the process that we will follow?
What am I no longer allowed to install on my PC?
What coercion are you exerting about what I'm allowed to put on my computer?
Does crosshair software infringe?
Does CPU management software like Process Lasso infringe?
Does video capture software infringe?
Do we have ANY recourse to challenge your unilateral rulings in some kind of third-party arbitration?

...How is CIG going to ban me for some arbitrary reason and keep the money that I've pledged?

I am literally terrified about this, and moments away from having a real loving panic attack because reading this I'm imagining $2500 on fire right now--it's just a matter of time before it's gone forever, AND I HAVE NO CONTROL OVER IT.

Edit: I apologize for bringing up the money aspect--I'm freaking out a bit, here, and panicked. The important thing is that we talk about the implementation of the EAC. Thanks again for all the support so far.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Imagine the fallout if CIG bans a high concierge class whale. Has that happened yet?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

JuffoWup posted:

But also is kind of weird that games generally don't account for gamer dads and their friends anymore. Or hell, gamer families and their friends. With locked party sizes of 3-5 generally speaking. Even in larger open games like battlefield/cod/whatever. One day might be a night of 3 people, the next night, just you, and another night everyone is on (because it is the weekend).

I'm kind of confused on the point you're making, here. If it's that no one produces games with 3-5 party sizes that's pretty much the entire industry, unless you want big map FPS shootouts or an MMO. Co-op stuff you'd do with friends is all small scale. If you mean that a 3-5 size is too limiting, that's the territory of MMOs. If people are waiting for SC to have an MMO then there's like, multiple big ones currently running that scratch the same banding-together-to-beat-the-thing itch.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Mailer posted:

I'm kind of confused on the point you're making, here. If it's that no one produces games with 3-5 party sizes that's pretty much the entire industry, unless you want big map FPS shootouts or an MMO. Co-op stuff you'd do with friends is all small scale. If you mean that a 3-5 size is too limiting, that's the territory of MMOs. If people are waiting for SC to have an MMO then there's like, multiple big ones currently running that scratch the same banding-together-to-beat-the-thing itch.

3-5 being too limiting. And that isn't the territory of mmos. To party up in a mmo, you stop at 5 generally speaking. WoW, FFXI, FFXIV, ESO, GW2.. The party cap is 5. But even then, there are other troubles with it. For example, say you are the only one to get on that night. So you do some progression because the game supports this. The next day, you and 6 buddies (or a few buddies and their wives) get on to play. Well, that is one too many for a party in those mmos. Especially if you plan to hit a dungeon. On the other troubles, there is the class system itself. ESO and GW2 are loose enough in design that this isn't as much an issue. But talking dungeons again. You and your buddies show up, but of your buddies, the two that took up the mantle as a healer/white mage didn't show up that day, what now. Perhaps in that situation, you have 5 people total. You have a full party, but the party isn't going to do much until someone leaves so you can find a pubbie healer. Especially in FFXI. So what games supports a range of both a solo play all the way to say nine buddies also playing. Each day is a toss up on who shows up due to real life commitments that evening. And no set time either. One day everyone logs on at 6pm while another time, the only two people that can get near a computer for even 30 minutes is at 9pm. Obviously, 30 minutes isn't enough time to even bother with SC. The travel to even get to your ship can take that much time. Eve Online and farming Simulator are the two I mentioned that do support that. And in both, the progression is less skill and more of cash. So those spare moments of solo doesn't have you out leveling your friends either.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Imagine the fallout if CIG bans a high concierge class whale. Has that happened yet?

Fallout? They would jump over each other to justify it saying CIG doesn't owe them anything, that they chose to pledge, that they deserved the ban, that the community is the best community ever and that they're better off without the banned whale.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/byodKJY.gifv

Star Kitten clipped into its wankpod :ohdear:

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Thoatse posted:

https://i.imgur.com/byodKJY.gifv

Star Kitten clipped into its wankpod :ohdear:

That's not a cat, that's Hitler.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I can tell that none of you complaining about the autodocking module in Elite never actually did much space trucking. If you had you'd know that it's fantastic for both silent running in your best Millennium Falcon wannabe, and minimizing round-trip time on cargo runs in your T9/Clipper.

In either case you request landing permission from as close to 7500m out as you can, then you don't throttle down to let the docking computer take over. You keep your speed as high as you dare until you're in the slot, then kill throttle to engage docking, which brakes you ASAP and then sets you down on your pad while you pay attention to your other monitor for a moment.

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism at its finest.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

JuffoWup posted:

To party up in a mmo, you stop at 5 generally speaking. WoW, FFXI, FFXIV, ESO, GW2.. The party cap is 5.

That's the normal dungeon cap, yeah. Raiding (where you'd go if you had 9-23 other friends) is higher because that's raiding. MMOs (well, WoW is my reference, but I'm sure elsewhere) have deep built-in support for guilds/clans/whatever that is used as the backbone for always requiring a healer or needing X people to do a thing. Your seven-days-a-week dudes and Mr Saturday all get to play together when available, at the cost of forcing you outside your real life circle. The system, when it's working, feeds into itself.

Interestingly, WoW moved down raid sizes in its first few expansions, and introduced difficulty levels in (I think?) the second. It was explicitly what people asked for but it also killed a large amount of the magic. That last sentence, as I understand, was applied repeatedly over the years.

(Caveat: My WoW knowledge is ancient. For all I know it's now an action platformer that takes bitcoin.)

quote:

So what games supports a range of both a solo play all the way to say nine buddies also playing.

That's the big question, and I don't have an answer. Even if you did find compelling content that allowed for 1-10 players and was enjoyable regardless of the count, you're still screwed. The three people on a #nolife schedule want to play every day, and they do. If there are progression mechanics (which there almost have to be) they'll far outpace the weekend guys and you wind up with the RPG level difference problem. If there's no progression, or the very light progression present in things like Deep Rock Galactic or World War Z, then the people playing every day will burn out before other people even have a chance to experience everything.

I can't express an opinion about Eve Online or Farming Simulator, since I don't have experience with either and don't know their core gameplay loops.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Chorus is so good yall, like so good.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

JuffoWup posted:

Back to the conversation earlier, it is a good thought question. What games…

Minecraft.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Lammasu posted:

That's not a cat, that's Hitler.

Kitler

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JuffoWup posted:

What games really does allow a person and say 9 friends to enjoy together.

Mario Goddamn Kart. Problem is that you don't stay friends.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Gravity_Storm posted:

Stand in the same seat

efb

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Gravity_Storm posted:

- Family finance management is an integral part of the game (currently tier 0)
- The coffee machine chat scene is in its seventh year of development
- Accurate mole and vole social interactions, tunneling patterns, speeds and burrow sizes
- Currently nothing to do in flight, but plenty of things are in the pipeline, 90 days tops: serving hairy Roberts, replacing the in-flight VHS tapes as they burn out, unclogging the toilets...
- Over six hundred vehicles - eight planes, three cars, a pair of rollerskates and an inflatable lifeboat are already in-game!

Pity Microsoft lacks Chris' vision.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Shazback posted:

- Family finance management is an integral part of the game (currently tier 0)
- The coffee machine chat scene is in its seventh year of development
- Accurate mole and vole social interactions, tunneling patterns, speeds and burrow sizes
- Currently nothing to do in flight, but plenty of things are in the pipeline, 90 days tops: serving hairy Roberts, replacing the in-flight VHS tapes as they burn out, unclogging the toilets...
- Over six hundred vehicles - eight planes, three cars, a pair of rollerskates and an inflatable lifeboat are already in-game!

Pity Microsoft lacks Chris' vision.

I think you'll find the community voted for the Submarine Expansion, fudster.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Gravity_Storm posted:

When implemented, fuel will cost real money to encourage players to calculate optimal fuel amount and speed efficiency.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Gravity_Storm posted:

There'd be one airport, a village you could clip through, and 250 billion km2 of featureless ocean to fly over.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Gravity_Storm posted:

Microsoft probably wouldn't allow :crobear: to be associated with MS brand again

Like I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of game publishers that rejected him before he started crowdfunding his mansion vaporware.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 7, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
My sister just messaged me, she needs some suggestions for Xmas presents. My nephew wants more RAM, she links some Crucial sticks on Amazon, they're 32GB. I ask what he even needs 32GB for, he typically just plays games, rarely does anything productive as I keep telling him to do things. Guess the answer.

:thunk:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Dec 7, 2021

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Combat Pretzel posted:

My sister just messaged me, she needs some suggestions for Xmas presents. My nephew wants more RAM, she links some Crucial sticks on Amazon, they're 32GB. I ask what he even needs 32GB for, he typically just plays games, rarely does anything productive as I keep telling him to do things. Guess the answer.

Buy him idris, then he can move to real star citizer game of posting fantasies on forums

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

How about a voucher for 64GB RAM, but only redeemable the day SQ42 comes out? :troll:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Gravity_Storm posted:

There's supposedly tons of content in Croberts Flight Simulator but all the player base wants to talk about is how they can't wait to file a flight plan to a carribbean island that was owned by a billionaire that offed himself in jail

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll throw ArmA, MSFS, Foxhole, Garry's Mod and other "open-ish world/mission where you can gently caress up with various poo poo" to the heap of "enjoyable with arbitrary number of people".

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

DreadUnknown posted:

Chorus is so good yall, like so good.

Heretic

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

remember the road to citizencon? What th gently caress was that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Solarin posted:

remember the road to citizencon? What th gently caress was that

I always imagine it looks like this

Or maybe that's the road from CitizenCon.