Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm looking at the standard mtgtop8 results tomorrow and this format is a tirefire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

It’s basically Izzitpiphany, MonoG, and MonoW. Everything else is tier 2.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Galvanic epiphany decks had only a 53% win rate against the field during the Crimson vow championships.

against the historic field.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I have waterlogged grove in the deck for card draw already so there’s three colors available already…

Remember that a white splash also lets you play unsettled mariner

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i opened a bunch of mythics (crimson vow prerelease bundle) for my store's championship! unfortunately none were in the same color and i got run over. gg me

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

i opened a bunch of mythics (crimson vow prerelease bundle) for my store's championship! unfortunately none were in the same color and i got run over. gg me

Post your pool.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Drewjitsu posted:

Post your pool.

is there a site to just print out a list of cards.. does a deck lister do it well enough

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

is there a site to just print out a list of cards.. does a deck lister do it well enough

Even a picture of the cards would do. No worries either way, just interested.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

BioThermo posted:

Galvanic epiphany decks had only a 53% win rate against the field during the Crimson vow championships.

against the historic field.

Pity they took out Brainstorm.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Drewjitsu posted:

Even a picture of the cards would do. No worries either way, just interested.

here it is, would be interested in what people would build with this.

card above rural recruit is crushing canopy. i put all the rare/mythics on the bottom.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Nice! Post the list

https://twitter.com/heypharaoh/status/1466907941605363712?s=21

This with a few tweaks in the board for the local meta.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Crackbone posted:

It’s basically Izzitpiphany, MonoG, and MonoW. Everything else is tier 2.

It's like Ravnica/Theros. RPS-like format.

Space Friend
Dec 23, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

card above rural recruit is crushing canopy. i put all the rare/mythics on the bottom.

I'd probably build a straight forward RB deck with that pool. You've got removal in red for almost every situation and Grisly Ritual for the things rending flame can't hit. Decent access to blood in black, too. I'd probably do this:

https://sealeddeck.tech/0aXQSLyaS3

With this I think you'd either a) curve out and fight for board presence or b) stall with removal until you can start dropping 4+ drops and keep them churning with blood fountain.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Strong Sauce posted:

Your R removal is phenomenal, and the creature curve isn't bad. I would've done R/B or R/U. Your U pool is shallower but more powerful than B just off the two U rares. Your best black card is Wedding Security which works better with R than U.

I could see an argument to go U/B and splash red for the removal if you wanted to get greedy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

YggdrasilTM posted:

It's like Ravnica/Theros. RPS-like format.
It's way worse. There were some pretty interesting midrange decks in that format.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Strong Sauce posted:

You had a sick Gruul deck that practically built itself, maybe even Jund off the back of Weaver, Mulch and Wilds

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The best format was INN/SOM because Heartless Summoning was a major archetype.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
The best formats are when you can play 3 or 4 mana creatures and beat your opponents to death with them.

The worst formats are when the best decks counter decks that try to do that.

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 6, 2021

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Opinionated posted:

Nice congrats! Would be interested to see your list, zombies are definitely the best tribal right now in standard.

I made a few small modifications to someone's deck, but haven't spent the wildcards to make Necroduality yet didn't manage to pull a single one on arena. It seems like a really nice effect and curve topper for an aggro deck

https://aetherhub.com/Deck/dimir-necroduality

https://aetherhub.com/Deck/dimir-zombies-650934

Still working on the sideboard a bit. My land situation is also unoptimized based on what I have in my collection.

Playing against Turns made me nervous, but if I was able to stick Necroduality and an Archghoul or Headless Rider I could bounce back from board wipes. Amalgam saved me one game too.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Made this for the other thread so hell why not post here

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I feel like we're getting better at iterating deck design, pretty soon we can look forward to having the metagame solved, with future mutations predicted (like, this deck is going to be big because it'll be good against these 3 archetypes, so then this deck will be big too, etc) like a week after the full spoiler comes out, then we can just pick pre-made decks, and clown on idiots that still brew, and basically play a fighting game vs each other, the way magic was meant to be played.

We might even get queues that ban specific combinations of cards to get around that

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Getting back into this cursed game, and thread, after doing one of those long time player breaks, which would recommend occasionally. I started paying less attention around Kaldheim so what’d I miss? I assume they made another oko/companions/rampaging ferocidon? And that pro play is fully dead? Did MH2 make modern and legacy (if that’s still a thing…) worse and how out of date is GDS without $300 in monkey?

What were people’s favorite sets? Cards or mechanics? Any silly drama? And if anyone has Portland, OR store recommendations I’m all ears. Moved here during the pandemic plus aforementioned break so I haven’t explored my LGSs.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pontius Pilate posted:

Getting back into this cursed game, and thread, after doing one of those long time player breaks, which would recommend occasionally. I started paying less attention around Kaldheim so what’d I miss? I assume they made another oko/companions/rampaging ferocidon? And that pro play is fully dead? Did MH2 make modern and legacy (if that’s still a thing…) worse and how out of date is GDS without $300 in monkey?

What were people’s favorite sets? Cards or mechanics? Any silly drama? And if anyone has Portland, OR store recommendations I’m all ears. Moved here during the pandemic plus aforementioned break so I haven’t explored my LGSs.

All red decks are out of date without Monke. The monke is just the first four cards in every red deck now. The only exception is cascade decks because monkey costs 1.
The good news, Shadow Player, is that this weekend's format challange was won by Soul Strong on a shadow list.

quote:

Creature (14)
4 Death's Shadow
4 Dragon's Rage Channeler
2 Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger
4 Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer
Sorcery (10)
4 Expressive Iteration
2 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Thoughtseize
Instant (11)

4 Drown in the Loch
1 Fatal Push
1 Kolaghan's Command
1 Lightning Bolt
4 Unholy Heat
Artifact (4)
4 Mishra's Bauble
Enchantment (2)
2 Dress Down
Land (19)
2 Blood Crypt
4 Bloodstained Mire
1 Mountain
4 Polluted Delta
3 Scalding Tarn
2 Steam Vents
1 Swamp
2 Watery Grave

Sideboard (15)
1 Dress Down
2 Kolaghan's Command
2 Alpine Moon
1 Gut Shot
1 Lurrus of the Dream-Den*
1 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Soul-Guide Lantern
2 Spell Pierce 2 Terminate
2 Tourach, Dread Cantor

Welcome back.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
See u at cube pontius pilate

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

It's way worse. There were some pretty interesting midrange decks in that format.

When Theros came out, the only played competitive decks were mono U devotion, mono B devotion and UW control.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

YggdrasilTM posted:

When Theros came out, the only played competitive decks were mono U devotion, mono B devotion and UW control.

I still love the RW burn list that played more like a tempo deck from that season. But you’re right in those were the top tier.

HootTheOwl posted:

All red decks are out of date without Monke. The monke is just the first four cards in every red deck now. The only exception is cascade decks because monkey costs 1.

Welcome back.

This is what I feared. Maybe it’ll get banned? I have no idea of its share of the metagame (I assume it’s fine-ish) and obviously wotc wouldn’t ban because of price but its sheer stupid amounts of efficiency rivals DRS in a one drop. Not quite, but it’s DRS c’mon

And thanks!

uggy posted:

See u at cube pontius pilate

:hfive: that said I look forward to playing that stupid monkey all the time in cube

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 6, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's like goyf, the best of its class and a hundred bucks. Probably will be until the next one comes out

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

It's like goyf, the best of its class and a hundred bucks. Probably will be until the next one comes out

Goyf at it's peak has nothing on Monke.

Nothing.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Pontius Pilate posted:

I still love the RW burn list that played more like a tempo deck from that season. But you’re right in those were the top tier.

This is what I feared. Maybe it’ll get banned? I have no idea of its share of the metagame (I assume it’s fine-ish) and obviously wotc wouldn’t ban because of price but its sheer stupid amounts of efficiency rivals DRS in a one drop. Not quite, but it’s DRS c’mon

And thanks!

:hfive: that said I look forward to playing that stupid monkey all the time in cube

Monkey’s share of the meta from this analysis suggests it’s pretty drat high:

https://twitter.com/yahianael/status/1465434761443393545?s=21

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Boros burn still plays without the monkey but other than that… yeah

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
why is everyone spelling monkey "monke"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kalvanoo posted:

_ not

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
It's funnier

People sometimes make jokes

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TheKingofSprings posted:

Goyf at it's peak has nothing on Monke.

Nothing.
I think you misunderestimate just how prevalent Goyf was at its peak.
According to MTG Goldfish Goyf hit its peak price just before Dragons of Tarkir and was over 200 dollars. this was March 2015.
Comparing the Month of March and Tarmogoyf to last month, November shows us:
4 Tarmogoyf Decks in the T8 of the SCG that month.
4 Ragavan Decks in the T16 of the Modern NRG last month.

Goyf was in the dailies 30 times.
Rags was in the prelims 15 times. 11 Times in November Challanges

Goyf was in twin, zoo, jund, abzan, and just about everything. The card was everywhere.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Pontius Pilate posted:

And if anyone has Portland, OR store recommendations I’m all ears. Moved here during the pandemic plus aforementioned break so I haven’t explored my LGSs.

Guardian Games is your best bet.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

kalvanoo posted:

Monke

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
doge deck

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Boopin a heckin puppers snoot

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Boopin a heckin puppers snoot

Do not poosh the snoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

kalvanoo posted:

It is an Internet joke, or “meme,” if you will.