Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I went up Mt Sneffles (14,150') fully nude, carrying an antique Singer sewing machine (42 pounds).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i saw that bird on the summit and the size of his dick cannot be overstated. there's another 15lbs right there

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
We took a bunch of kids up mt Washington back in summer camp and it was a shitshow. Ended up with several of them in hospital for broken knees and sprained ankles and hypothermia and altitude sickness. The whole thing was exceptionally stupid.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Climbing Mt. Washington feels pretty bad when you struggle up there and arrive only to have a bus of tourists roll up, lower itself, and unload in front of you.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i dont remember if it was pilchuck or si but i was walkin up and definitely got passed by a bunch of brownies or very young girlscouts. it was pretty funny.

actually i think it was pilchuck, which in my mind is "the one without the haystack"

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

punishedkissinger posted:

Climbing Mt. Washington feels pretty bad when you struggle up there and arrive only to have a bus of tourists roll up, lower itself, and unload in front of you.

I have had this exact experience. Then they all waddle over and clog the snack bar and bathroom so it takes you an extra 30 minutes to get water and a pee break.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

i dont remember if it was pilchuck or si but i was walkin up and definitely got passed by a bunch of brownies or very young girlscouts. it was pretty funny.

actually i think it was pilchuck, which in my mind is "the one without the haystack"

In China you can pay a couple of guys to haul you up in a sedan chair, I was too proud to do that.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

punishedkissinger posted:

That's actually the main reason why that's the one mountain in the presidential range I haven't climbed. There are plenty of nearby peaks that are just as rewarding without the tourist crowd at the top.

Someone in my family actually worked at the weather station on top of Washington back in the 40s, though, so that was cool when we drove up there.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Mount Washington gets a little windy, apparently

fiesty cowgirl
May 22, 2009
The first time I climbed Washington it was looked like perfect weather going up but at the top there was about zero visibility and insane wind. Pics from start and top

The next time I did the presidential and it was perfect weather all around.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Mushroom Zingdom posted:

Many, many years ago somebody posted a link to a .pdf or a website possibly affiliated with "Accidents in North American Mountaineering". There was a quote there that was shared that discussed how you should read accident reports with a sober awareness that a reasonable person was likely involved in the accident; meaning, that you shouldn't read and guffaw at what an idiot they were, but try your best to have some humility and imagine how you would have made the same mistake. Does this ring any bells?

I picked up a book “Death in the Grand Canyon” someone recommended in the “stupid poo poo you see outdoors” thread. The introduction chapter reads a lot like what you’re describing.

And canyoneering is just inverse mountaineering…. Which is apparently part of what makes it dangerous. If you bite off more than you can chew going up a mountain, at least the way back is downhill…

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

seance snacks posted:

I picked up a book “Death in the Grand Canyon” someone recommended in the “stupid poo poo you see outdoors” thread. The introduction chapter reads a lot like what you’re describing.

I’ve read Death in Yellowstone, which IIRC is the author’s first.

I wanted to read Death in Yosemite, but it’s not available as an e‐book.

Death in Grand Canyon is, though, so I suppose I could read that.

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

I read the Grand Canyon book and it was solidly entertaining. A good primer in how to gently caress up outdoors.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I’ve read Death in Yellowstone, which IIRC is the author’s first.

I wanted to read Death in Yosemite, but it’s not available as an e‐book.

Death in Grand Canyon is, though, so I suppose I could read that.

If you mean Off the Wall: Death in Yosemite by Michael P. Ghiglieri, Charles R. Farabee, then it kind of is. I found a pdf with actual text and not just lousy image scans of the pages. But alas, it's filez 😐 But it is out there if you don't mind 'internet borrowing' it until a physical purchased copy arrives.

Boy that sure is a dead body on the front cover. At least it's a skelly boy and not fresh gore. And man that book is grim. I don't know if it's because I'm older and more empathic, but it's harder to read about people falling victim to a terrible fate.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I felt Washington was a lot less strenuous than Mt Katahdin. Never did the AT (my sister did) but man it sounds like the last leg is a real bitch.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

zenguitarman posted:

I felt Washington was a lot less strenuous than Mt Katahdin. Never did the AT (my sister did) but man it sounds like the last leg is a real bitch.

My brother did the AT and said the last stretch was like dessert.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Yeah I guess I can see that after slogging through Pennsylvania.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

fiesty cowgirl posted:

The first time I climbed Washington it was looked like perfect weather going up but at the top there was about zero visibility and insane wind. Pics from start and top

The next time I did the presidential and it was perfect weather all around.

Yea I went to an adventure camp and one of the trips was a hike up Mt. Washington and same story, once we got up Tuckermans the weather turned and by the time we got to the top it was crazy windy; we had fun jumping around in the wind and getting pushed around by it. Then one kid got up on top of like a 6ish foot tall rock, opened up his jacket and jumped with the wind and it loving shot his stupid rear end like 10-15 feet onto pavement lol

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

(not my) photo a few hundred yards from the highest point in Pennsylvania on the top of Mt. Davis, a member of the 800er club.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Thanks for the recommendation of that Netflix documentary on the 14. I've been reading a lot of old mountaineering books lately so it's nice to see some of the "other" mountains filmed with such good definition and passion. I finished Annapurna by Maurice Herzog a little while ago and loved it, was very cool to see it climbed in the doco. Haven't finished it yet. Dhaulugiri and Kanchenjunga also cool to see.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I know, right? When each mountain got its intro on the map in the beginning, complete with some nice music, I knew this film was in good hands from a technical side.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

zenguitarman posted:

I live p close to mt Washington, nothing out there is all that difficult but people die of exhaustion or cold exposure a few times a year none the less. Also it’s “not that difficult” so it always attracts people without the slightest bit of gear or planning. That combined with the short daylight and cold snap nights most times of the year and ugh

ethanol fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 6, 2021

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Leperflesh posted:

I've driven to the top of a mountain, they're not all unreasonable to go up.
You're deliberately missing the point:

Mountaineering is a dangerous hobby. If you're going to do it, you should be reading up on the hazards and formulating safety strategies in advance of having to make decisions.

quote:

There was a quote there that was shared that discussed how you should read accident reports with a sober awareness that a reasonable person was likely involved in the accident;
The point I was trying to make is that someone in these situations has already hosed up at least once and probably twice by failing to recognize a dangerous situation and failing to take appropriate precautions to mitigate the danger. A reasonable person looks at the dangers of mountaineering and says "Naw, I'll pass."

Or maybe I'm just post-rationalizing laughing at people who die on Everest. w/e

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

I know, right? When each mountain got its intro on the map in the beginning, complete with some nice music, I knew this film was in good hands from a technical side.

Word. I'm pretty fickle with what I watch on tv but that bit got me so pumped.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

You're deliberately missing the point:

Mountaineering is a dangerous hobby. If you're going to do it, you should be reading up on the hazards and formulating safety strategies in advance of having to make decisions.

The point I was trying to make is that someone in these situations has already hosed up at least once and probably twice by failing to recognize a dangerous situation and failing to take appropriate precautions to mitigate the danger. A reasonable person looks at the dangers of mountaineering and says "Naw, I'll pass."

Or maybe I'm just post-rationalizing laughing at people who die on Everest. w/e

You said "reasonable people don't climb mountains" which was not exactly a nuanced or reasonable statement to make, so I pointed out the absurdity of it. This, here, is a much more reasonable point to make, but it's still specifically about the more dangerous end of a broad spectrum of going up to high places that can be called "mountaineering."

Beginner-level mountaineering, done sensibly and with proper preparation and equipment, is no more dangerous than, say, riding a bicycle in traffic. Kids do it. It's fine. But there's a slippery slope (haha) towards more and more risky endeavors, and some people seem to be temperamentally unable to resist it; and then you can also just skip that entire deal and go straight for the "like five percent of people die attempting this" poo poo like Everest, which super dangerous and there's nothing you can do to lower that danger to a reasonable level.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I did Katahdin in the cold rear end rain and it was absolutely miserable. I was 1 of like 4 people that summited that day. I was so adamant on finishing the AT that day and getting that picture on the sign that I huddle behind a giant cairn on the peak for a hour until some other poor soul showed up. Took the picture and booked it down. No view and no elation of finishing a great adventure, just wanted the off that mountain.

I’m from Houston and it just happen to be the remnants of Hurricane Harvey so that dumb storm managed to gently caress me all the way in Maine.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

value-brand cereal posted:

Boy that sure is a dead body on the front cover. At least it's a skelly boy and not fresh gore. And man that book is grim. I don't know if it's because I'm older and more empathic, but it's harder to read about people falling victim to a terrible fate.

Yeah it's a super interesting and informative read but I still wish I could forget the hot springs ones. "I fell into a really hot one" and "It doesn't matter anyway" still pop into my mind from time to time and I feel sad.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I can see why people climb mountains, I don't see why people climb Everest.

That sense of accomplishment must be incredible. Doing a one-day in/out in the Grand Canyon was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but getting to the top and cracking that beer was one of the most glorious feelings I've ever had. I can't imagine how great it much be when the effort is multiplied 50x and the preparation 200x

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Laopooh posted:

Yeah it's a super interesting and informative read but I still wish I could forget the hot springs ones. "I fell into a really hot one" and "It doesn't matter anyway" still pop into my mind from time to time and I feel sad.

Did these people fall into unmarked springs while in the backcountry? I'm sorry they died horrible deaths but I've seen too many idiots standing off trail next to 'GROUND IS THIN HERE DO NOT STAND EXTREME HEAT DANGER' signs to feel all that much sympathy. Maybe this makes me a bad person. Those quotes do sound a bit grim.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Leperflesh posted:

You said "reasonable people don't climb mountains" which was not exactly a nuanced or reasonable statement to make, so I pointed out the absurdity of it. This, here, is a much more reasonable point to make, but it's still specifically about the more dangerous end of a broad spectrum of going up to high places that can be called "mountaineering."

Beginner-level mountaineering, done sensibly and with proper preparation and equipment, is no more dangerous than, say, riding a bicycle in traffic. Kids do it. It's fine. But there's a slippery slope (haha) towards more and more risky endeavors, and some people seem to be temperamentally unable to resist it; and then you can also just skip that entire deal and go straight for the "like five percent of people die attempting this" poo poo like Everest, which super dangerous and there's nothing you can do to lower that danger to a reasonable level.
Wow, thanks for explaining that taking a quote out of context on the internet can lead to misunderstanding. In the future, I will endeavor to quote the post I am referencing when I make a comment on the internet. That way overly pedantic assholes wouldn't have the grounds to post stupid poo poo.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Dik Hz posted:

Wow, thanks for explaining that taking a quote out of context on the internet can lead to misunderstanding. In the future, I will endeavor to quote the post I am referencing when I make a comment on the internet. That way overly pedantic assholes wouldn't have the grounds to post stupid poo poo.

Reasonable people don't post on web forums.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The Walrus posted:

That sense of accomplishment must be incredible. Doing a one-day in/out in the Grand Canyon was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but getting to the top and cracking that beer was one of the most glorious feelings I've ever had.

Yeah but this story would bore anybody to tears, who gives a poo poo about your personal gratification?

If that story was about you dying pointlessly on Everest at least I'd be lolin.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

The Walrus posted:

That sense of accomplishment must be incredible. Doing a one-day in/out in the Grand Canyon was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but getting to the top and cracking that beer was one of the most glorious feelings I've ever had. I can't imagine how great it much be when the effort is multiplied 50x and the preparation 200x

The hardest thing I ever did was ORAMM (offroad assault on Mount Mitchell). It is a 60-mile mountain bike race with 11000' of climbing. I did not feel glorious during or after. I just wanted to die, because I had put my body through absolute hell for nearly 10 hours.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

The Walrus posted:

Did these people fall into unmarked springs while in the backcountry? I'm sorry they died horrible deaths but I've seen too many idiots standing off trail next to 'GROUND IS THIN HERE DO NOT STAND EXTREME HEAT DANGER' signs to feel all that much sympathy. Maybe this makes me a bad person. Those quotes do sound a bit grim.

The first quote was a backcountry hiker, but the second was from a guy who tried to save a doggo. I didn't mention any details on the one about the kid falling off a boardwalk in front of his parents.

So a lot of the deaths in the book are due to stupidity, but not all, and they're all pretty sad.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

The Walrus posted:

I get it. I climbed a relatively small mountain in the alps (after taking a cable car most of the way) and it felt amazing. Much more so than going up the Eiger in a train the day before.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The Walrus posted:

I think it's possible to have sympathy for someone dying a horrific, painful death even if they were stupid and caused it themselves.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Laopooh posted:

Or the ones where they are just minding their business and a bear tears through their tent and tears the top of their skull.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

HopperUK posted:

I think it's possible to have sympathy for someone dying a horrific, painful death even if they were stupid and caused it themselves.

I only have so much sympathy. I'm sorry. There are too many horrible things in the world and too many people to feel bad for people who read the sign that says YOU WILL DIE IF YOU DO THIS and then do it. I have sympathy for their families and loved ones and anyone who had to watch it happen.

Laopooh posted:

The first quote was a backcountry hiker, but the second was from a guy who tried to save a doggo. I didn't mention any details on the one about the kid falling off a boardwalk in front of his parents.

So a lot of the deaths in the book are due to stupidity, but not all, and they're all pretty sad.

Yeah, yikes to both then. Made a bad assumption based on so many summers in yellowstone seeing so many dumb people.

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Or the ones where they are just minding their business and a bear tears through their tent and tears the top of their skull.

and yet despite my just-learned-of-hubris my first reaction is 'they probably weren't being bear safe', mostly because I myself need to be able to sleep in the wilderness. shout out to the fuckin whatever it was that left a sun bleached moose bone right outside my tent overnight this summer.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

The Walrus posted:

I did Kilimanjaro and it was a life changing experience that taught me a lot about my own limits. My girlfriend and I did it together two years before we had our kid, and I honestly think the experience has helped us get through some rough times more easily than we otherwise would have. After fatherhood it is the second proudest moment of my life, by a mile. So I can definitely see what people get out of doing Everest, though I'd never in a million years try it myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Walrus posted:

and yet despite my just-learned-of-hubris my first reaction is 'they probably weren't being bear safe', mostly because I myself need to be able to sleep in the wilderness. shout out to the fuckin whatever it was that left a sun bleached moose bone right outside my tent overnight this summer.

Ya, "It won't happen to me, they were being dumb" is a pitfall everyone should watch out for, not just mountaineers