Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Maxwell Lord posted:

Speaking as someone who still doesn’t fully understand the magic of wrestling, I don’t know how Britt/Riho are working that but the fact that Riho is still alive and un-paralyzed suggests this was not a shoot

E and yeah 99% of the people making these complaints have never seen a Joshi match.
It's honestly pretty amazing how easy it still is for wrestlers to work people in 2021, either by good selling or by tweeting in kayfabe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Elephant Ambush posted:

LMFAO

Everything else that's been said also

And when they got called out on it ...

https://twitter.com/SurvivingFoxy/status/1467717896784781312?s=20

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

It's honestly pretty amazing how easy it still is for wrestlers to work people in 2021, either by good selling or by tweeting in kayfabe.

It's arguable that Jericho and Omega made New Japan tens of millions of yen off of like 3 tweets.

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021
A WWE fan asks a bartender to put RAW on, is told "No WWE, ever". WWE fan proceeds not to take it well, both at the bar and in the comments.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/ranqrf/bars_not_allowed_to_show_wwe/

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Let me talk to your manager

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Cult of Pies posted:

A WWE fan asks a bartender to put RAW on, is told "No WWE, ever". WWE fan proceeds not to take it well, both at the bar and in the comments.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/ranqrf/bars_not_allowed_to_show_wwe/

Clearly AEW paying off all the bars in Canada

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Whenever I wanted to watch wrestling in a bar, I’d just whip out a tablet and headphones. Sometimes people would be interested and if it was on TV, they’d pester the barkeep to put it on. Most of the time people would ignore me which was fuckin great.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Cult of Pies posted:

I'd like to give some applause to the best reply

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Cult of Pies posted:

I've never been a bartender but I have been a bouncer and the bars I worked at were real picky about what "sport" type stuff they could show. Like TVs in bars have to buy special expensive packages to show football, ufc, soccer, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if, given that wwe is a subscription/ppv system, most bars just don't want to deal with getting sued or fined and just blanket ban wrestling.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

tony's paying bars to not play wwe

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
hell if i was in a bar playing WWE i'd be paying them not to play it

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

It may be a bad idea, but I think I'd like to run a sports bar that runs indie and other wrestling on slow sports nights

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

You might as well ask to put on a Wiggles DVD. At least there might be some parents at the bar that are actually familiar with that product for babies

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
"I just asked for ONE TV, in a mostly empty bar, where only two people seem to be watching football. They have 20 other TVs. My request is not unreasonable."

Reading this reply Suicidal Tendencies started playing in my head.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I watch wrestling at bars all the time, if it’s not ppv and they’re paying for the channel it’s all good. The dude just might have been a dipshit.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

I don’t know why y’all are loving with sports bars when Seattle has a full on wrestling bar with a mini-ring.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I’ve had many bars throw AEW on for me, or Smackdown, never had any trouble but I go to places where they know I’m polite and tip well maybe but even before I was a regular at any of them never had any trouble. You’d get the occasional “who put this poo poo on” from some drunk guy and inevitably they always start saying how it’s not good anymore but they know like flair, stone cold, etc.

I’m never the explainer of things I like to random people guy, but if asked i’ll give the basic details and i’ve had people join me to watch a match and shoot the poo poo it’s fun. Rey Fenix and Pentagon get over with literally everyone though, i’ve seen them pull non fans in ordering down the bar and they stay all the way to the next commercial every time those guys are on.

Fart Radio
Sep 7, 2010

@Therock hey man check it... You ever kill a man or no? Hit me up. ;)
there used to be a sports bar 45 minutes away from where i lived in college that my buddies would carpool to for ppvs, and god drat were those some of the worst experiences i've ever had watching wrestling.

watching wrestling with other wrestling fans can be annoying enough, but watching wrestling with uninterested townies who yell a bunch of awful poo poo was so bad we started ordering PPVs ourselves just so we didn't have to deal with it

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I was at a bar a few years ago watching Main Event because gently caress you and this old guy, a “boomer” if you will, loudly proclaimed that wrestling is “theatre for the retarded.”

I guess even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Lid posted:

"I just asked for ONE TV, in a mostly empty bar, where only two people seem to be watching football. They have 20 other TVs. My request is not unreasonable."

I mean, if at this point someone is still actively trying to watch Raw and possibly get others to watch it as well, they definitely deserve to be institutionalized.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I've never been a bartender but I have been a bouncer and the bars I worked at were real picky about what "sport" type stuff they could show. Like TVs in bars have to buy special expensive packages to show football, ufc, soccer, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if, given that wwe is a subscription/ppv system, most bars just don't want to deal with getting sued or fined and just blanket ban wrestling.

Also, I notice the original Reddit poster said he was in a chain bar. I would expect a chain to have stricter rules about what can and can't be shown, rather than leaving it up to the discretion of individual bartenders/managers.

Back when I was a WWE fan, I used to go to a bar to watch PPVs. It actually wasn't too bad an experience -- they were smoke-free and the food was decent, and even with the cost of food and beer it was usually cheaper than buying the PPV for myself. Although Wrestlemania was always standing room only.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lid posted:

I hope someone puts on Dynamite on, and tells him that they've decided he needs to watch it because it's in his best interest.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

edogawa rando posted:

I hope someone puts on Dynamite on, and tells him that they've decided he needs to watch it because it's in his best interest.

"WE decided!? When I watched YOUR Raws, YOUR Smackdowns, YOUR NXTs!"

Takuan
May 6, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

I've noticed this thing that happens where guys who parrot Cornette have completely internalized the propaganda("play rasslers" "dance routine" etc) to the extent that when they see something that even vaguely looks like it actually hurts their brains short circuit and they immediately start screeching "Botch!".

Afterall wrestlers these days are a bunch of fake pretend wrestlers who make everything look fake so if something looks like it actually hurts it *must* be real!

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

I Before E posted:

I'd like to give some applause to the best reply

lol

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Wasn't there also something about him popping up to dunk on someone else that also faked their death on the internet?

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I can't remember if she faked her death or whether it was an eating disorder or something but there was definitely some girl who did something like that and he was one of the people calling her out on it.

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

Bix can speak on this as it is his greatest work of journalism but yeah someone faked her own suicide as a way to steal money from a scam GoFundMe she set up for cancer treatment and iirc Chris Regal posted "lol at least I never robbed anyone"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Selachian posted:

Also, I notice the original Reddit poster said he was in a chain bar. I would expect a chain to have stricter rules about what can and can't be shown, rather than leaving it up to the discretion of individual bartenders/managers.
Yeah, if you're going into a busy sports bar or chain place then its not gonna happen. If you're like a regular at a local place and you ask the bartender to turn on wrestling or The Voice on one tv for you on some unbusy night then it can probably happen. A Sunday PPV on a subscription service is a whole other thing. Like talk to the bar ahead of time and ask if it would be cool, maybe you promise a certain number of people, preorder some food and drinks or something. I've been on both sides of that and it just comes down to what makes sense for the bar. If you're running around bars on a busy weekend night telling them to change the channel to a pay service then they're gonna tell you to gently caress off. But that should be common sense and basic social skills.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

there was a guy recently that said he was taking time off Twitter to grieve for his dead brother but was screaming at Bryan Alvarez about AEW ratings or something the next day (Bryan posted a picture of his family lol).

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Cult of Pies posted:

This is a goldmine. Don't miss the thread about the "sublime chicken fingers" at loving Jack Astors

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
My favourite fake family drama is the AEW Botches guy getting sent a picture of his family with death threats from Young Bucks fans.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Kosmo Gallion posted:

My favourite fake family drama is the AEW Botches guy getting sent a picture of his family with death threats from Young Bucks fans.

That was the one who said he was leaving Twitter for good because it wasn't worth it after that incident and then was either posting a few days later or even that same day.

My favourite was wwf_wwe_junkie calling AEW fans losers for having dates on Friday nights instead of watching Rampage and then talking about his wife when people pointed out that he's done a fantastic self-own. This was a few weeks after his feud with GirlOnCinema after he was being thirsty towards her and she rejected him.

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021

Destroy My Sweater posted:

there was a guy recently that said he was taking time off Twitter to grieve for his dead brother but was screaming at Bryan Alvarez about AEW ratings or something the next day (Bryan posted a picture of his family lol).

Uhh, it wouldn’t happen to be a guy who tweets a lot about wrestling theme songs, would it? Because if so, oh man, the stories I could share.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
WWE fans and Cornette fans joined together to burn several crosses on my lawn while inventing new racial slurs and beating up every dog on my block. Would AEW fans do this? I think not. Checkmate. :smuggo:

bartok
May 10, 2006

The last AEW PPV my partner and I saw it at an AMC movie theater. Not a terrible experience but there was one dude that lost his poo poo when Jay Lethal showed up. Even without the #SpeakingOut allegations it was weird to see someone that excited for Jay Lethal.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
The bartender coldly glared at the patron after they told him their request. He sighed. Without taking his eyes off the patron he reached under the bar, pulled out a barbed wire wrapped baseball bat and slammed it down on the bar, vibrating the line of beers siting there. "Son, I don't know what part of town you think you're in," said the bartender, "but we here are an AEW establishment."

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

Lid posted:

I was tending bar and I was just like staring at the wall thinking about everything
But then again I was thinking about nothing
And then some guy came in and I didn't even know he was there, he called me over
And I didn't even hear it, and then he started screaming: BARTENDER! BARTENDER!
And I go: What, what's the matter?
And he goes: What's the matter with you?
I go: There's nothing wrong, sir
And he goes: Don't tell me that, turn on RAW!
And I go: No man, can't turn on RAW, this is a sports bar y'know?
Why don't I get you a beverage?
And he goes: No I want RAW!!
I go: Sir, we won't play, this is a sports bar
He goes: No you're not a sports bar, you're with Khan! AEWSexuals only act that way!
I go: Man just order a beverage, please
All I want is your beverage, and he wouldn't give it to me
All I wanted was his beverage, just one beverage, and he wouldn't give it to me
Just a beverage

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

FullMetalJackoff posted:

I was tending bar and I was just like staring at the wall thinking about everything
And then some guy came in and I didn't even know he was there, he called me over
He goes: No you're not a sports bar, you're with Khan! AEWSexuals only act that way!
Just a beverage

AEW Revolution
I said it was the only solution
To get him needed professional help
Protect him from the enemy; himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

FullMetalJackoff posted:

Just a beverage

:vince: