Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

it's almost as if there's a difference between fascists and communists. the West actually prefer fascism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

dead gay comedy forums posted:

i'm biased to the left tendency theoreticians but the long-term collectivization idea they had under lenin seemed to be a really solid idea. start with agriculture, consolidate state planning first in the primary sector, build a strong apparatus there, then move into the most critical industrial activities first, so on and on

I would say there wasn’t support for it during the 1920s especially since right after the civil war, there was a deficit in agricultural production and consolidation was going to cause too severe of a hit early on.

Crash collectivization itself was an immediate response to the 1929 crash which immediately effected commodity prices. The state in turn needed lower prices and pushed them as far as they could, arguably too far. Then you had the famine on top of that and it is clear why there was a crisis.

———

Also medal counts will be broken down by capita from now on.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Ardennes posted:

I would say there wasn’t support for it during the 1920s especially since right after the civil war, there was a deficit in agricultural production and consolidation was going to cause too severe of a hit early on.

Crash collectivization itself was an immediate response to the 1929 crash which immediately effected commodity prices. The state in turn needed lower prices and pushed them as far as they could, arguably too far. Then you had the famine on top of that and it is clear why there was a crisis.

———

Also medal counts will be broken down by capita from now on.

US would get owned if they did that

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

30.5 Days posted:

It sums up the US's attitude toward china entirely. "They are destined to destroy our nation and all of humanity but we are powerless to stop them because that would require the nation to place restrictions on the behaviors of billionaires and corporations, or reduce leisure options for americans."

this is also the liberal response to literally anything

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

30.5 Days posted:

US would get owned if they did that

It would only be applicable to “large countries” of course (absent the Russians).

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.

thatfatkid posted:

each day i am amazed at how dumb western liberal are. now because australia is completely unwilling to make any foreign policy decision without firmly holding the hands of the USA, we are now having to listen to this poo poo on the news as well. gently caress you amerikkkans.

all this anti-chinese poo poo popping up everyday is just insane. i basically just avoid the mainstream news as much as i can at this point.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

dead gay comedy forums posted:

again, rocky IV

(drago could punch through concrete walls but not rocky's face?!?! lmao)

obviously the walls were made with inferior soviet manufacturing

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

Heard in the radio the US is gonna protest the Beijing winter Olympics by... Sending their athletes to compete, angrily

Even my car almost died laughing
growling with an angry face as i go flying past the camera on a luge

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fauxbot posted:

all this anti-chinese poo poo popping up everyday is just insane. i basically just avoid the mainstream news as much as i can at this point.
congress budgeted $300 million in anti-china propaganda annually starting in 2022

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

congress budgeted $300 million in anti-china propaganda annually starting in 2022

Down Under we just do it for a free taste of American boot leather :unsmith:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://twitter.com/zax2000/status/1467948101453303809?s=20

Listen here, kiddo, American Olympics are basically privatized already and the US government is totally impotent to do anything about it. What are we supposed to do, NOT WATCH THE OLYMPICS!?

it loving owns that Democrat-brain has so permeated American society that even their imperialist warmongering is subject to liberal "better things aren't possible, the President is powerless" mentality

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
this happened the other day. the bold title is deceptive. i started listening and these think-tank creatures are sounding pretty gloomy about their chances against the chicoms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3PscmZ9esY

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 30 days!)

gradenko_2000 posted:

it loving owns that Democrat-brain has so permeated American society that even their imperialist warmongering is subject to liberal "better things aren't possible, the President is powerless" mentality

The ideal vision of American government has always been one that's basically impotent anyway.

Libs are so obsessed with rules-lawyering they don't even stop to question the privatization of the Olympics and how that cucks their own government. Because it's a status quo condition, it's legitimate.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The ideal vision of American government has always been one that's basically impotent anyway.

Libs are so obsessed with rules-lawyering they don't even stop to question the privatization of the Olympics and how that cucks their own government. Because it's a status quo condition, it's legitimate.

You could also say the same for the MIC which has been completely dysfunctional for the last 25 years and regardless of the actual corporation has mostly been turning out boondoggle after boondoggle. It isn’t questioned because it is the way things are but it has seriously eroded the US’ offense punch and the leverage that comes with it. It isn’t just the F-35 but the Navy has major issues and it is clear the army isn’t ready for prime time.

At the end of the day, oligarchs have eroded the ability of their own pet state to defend them.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:41 on Dec 7, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ardennes posted:

You could also say the same for the MIC which has been completely dysfunctional for the last 25 years and regardless of the actual corporation has mostly been turning out boondoggle after boondoggle. It isn’t questioned because it is the way things are but it has seriously eroded the US’ offense punch and the leverage that comes with it. It isn’t just the F-35 but the Navy has major issues and it is clear the army isn’t ready for prime time.

At the end of the day, oligarchs have eroded the ability of their own pet state to defend them.

And then there's the Marines, the Navy's Army's Air Force who are a testament to the power of branding.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

I meant specifically that they were targeting white people or something. The Reuters article didn't have any details at all besides that follow up with the BLM branch.

Yeah I remember reading articles about Japan having too many police officers employed for the amount of crime that happens so they tend to find things to spend way more effort on petty crimes to keep themselves occupied.

A girl I knew over there had her laptop stolen and the cops actually watched the surveillance tapes and found the guy who did it as well as the laptop. It's like the dumbest pro cop propaganda.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the best bit in Snow Crash is when one of the oligarchs goes “wait who is that guy and why is he here” about the president of the United States because the president is so unimportant that nobody even knows what he looks like

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/shifrinson/status/1467926018962993155

edit: didnt see that he responded

https://mobile.twitter.com/McFaul/status/1467926985359835138

lol that putins great crime has now evolved to doesnt instantly assume americans lie all the time about everything for no reason

Some Guy TT has issued a correction as of 11:19 on Dec 7, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/eileenguo/status/1467978616516460545

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
lol that guy is talking about the program like it's been around doing well for a decade but had recently lost its way when it's only existed for like 3 years

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was going to make a joke about how the US is going to bring back the Committee on the Present Danger except this time it's against China only to find out that that had already happened

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

It would only be applicable to “large countries” of course (absent the Russians).

Since all Chinese are slaves to communism we'll just use the classic 3/5 deflator on the medal count. Easy.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

1971-1973 is the end point, the corpse just had a lot of momentum

Why though? I've read Lenin's Imperialism lately and he already dismissed people for assuming that financial parasitism alone would cause anything to collapse. I guess the 1970s were about the time that the integration of the French and British empires into the US system was mostly complete? But then fall of the USSR and the integration of China brought a new loot influx that kept the whole thing ticking. It's only now with China that the US system is actually challenged again.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
1973 was when the Bretton-Woods System was finally murdered and its body disposed of - everything else has just been the slow decay of the corpse

from a certain perspective you might say that Keynesianism still wouldn't be able to keep the gravy train rolling even if they had committed to it past the 1970s, but whether it would or wouldn't have, they ended it regardless

https://twitter.com/AlanRMacLeod/status/1468168910684012544

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

genericnick posted:

Since all Chinese are slaves to communism we'll just use the classic 3/5 deflator on the medal count. Easy.

the only scientifically proven method of quantifying medal tally is dividing it by cumulative CO2 emissions per capita + bombs dropped

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
70s was when the return on capital hit the critical point. Compare the graph of falling global profits to that graph showing growth of productivity and wages diverging. Note that the latter happens exactly as the profits flatten out.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

THS2 posted:

the american century wasn't even a century. 1945-202? RIP

Eh, they got closer than the thousand year reich.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Orange Devil posted:

Eh, they got closer than the thousand year reich.

the EU is basically the third reich so i donno about that one

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, I still wouldn’t count the USD yet even though obviously a rot has set in the heart of the machine.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

France will soon join the buffer states we’ll have to secure before moving on to Moscow.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Rutibex posted:

the EU is basically the third reich so i donno about that one

Uhmm... no?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I’ve been told by highly specialized China threads that China is in fact fascist and not communist!

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Atrocious Joe posted:

NBC coverage of the Olympics is going to portray the US athletes as fighting tyranny in the medal count race. Until China takes a decisive lead and then it'll be the AUKUS countries' combined medal count versus China.

get ready for a poo poo ton of the yeller mans are cheating while ignoring that every drat athlete uses peds

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

i mean i guess you could say spain isn't part of the 3rd reich but Franco was a fascist so i donno about that. i suppose sweden is part of the EU and not the 3rd reich but other than that not a lot of difference.

england opted out of both of them

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
At least America is still full on communist under Biden.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Rutibex posted:

i mean i guess you could say spain isn't part of the 3rd reich but Franco was a fascist so i donno about that. i suppose sweden is part of the EU and not the 3rd reich but other than that not a lot of difference.

england opted out of both of them

The EU is actually the Frankish Empire though?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/china_takes/status/1467955010323447808

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The dignified rape of Nanjing.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

thats def a take...

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

genericnick posted:

Why though? I've read Lenin's Imperialism lately and he already dismissed people for assuming that financial parasitism alone would cause anything to collapse. I guess the 1970s were about the time that the integration of the French and British empires into the US system was mostly complete? But then fall of the USSR and the integration of China brought a new loot influx that kept the whole thing ticking. It's only now with China that the US system is actually challenged again.

my thesis has been this: Bretton woods basically set up the post-war capitalist order so that America would benefit from (and rule) the capitalist half of the world. but it contained two fatal flaws that finally came to a head in 1971 and destroyed the system, locking the US into the path of decline it’s been in. the first is an apparent assumption by the conference that the economic ratios between the US and the world would remain relatively the same and US deficit spending would be made up by the war ravaged countries buying our poo poo forever and sending dollars back. the second was the plan to hold the dollar at $35/oz of gold forever which failed roughly because gold production could never catch up to the amount of deficit spending needed to hold the system together.

so problem 1 is that Europe and Japan’s economies did not lay prostate before the US and immediately began to rebuild post war. this has two effects. first it reduce the demand for US exports because domestic production began fulfilling these needs so the return of dollars to the US slows down. the second effect is that it creates excess industrial capacity as industries become duplicated in Europe and Japan.

problem 2 is that non-American capitalists, being the good capitalist that they are, have no loyalty to the unites states. this is seen in European countries basically robbing the US the moment the real price of gold went over $35. they could, and did, exchange their dollars for the (cheap) gold at ft. Knox and then sold the gold on the open market for a tidy profit. so the US gold reserve is being bled away, weakening the dollar, and the only options are to either magic up more gold or cause another Great Depression by suspending dollar outflow and creating a global liquidity shortage.

problem 3 is that American deficit spending. the Cold War has us dropping mad stacks on tons and tons of military equipment that is a. expensive and b. provides very little ROI compared to other things we could be investing in. now this could be addressed by raising taxes but the us government has no interest in this because it’ll cause a recession and ruin the electoral chances of whichever party does it.

so 1971 arrives and the drain of dollars and deficit spending has made holding the price of gold at $35/oz has become impossible. Nixon suspends the gold standard to stop the outflow of gold and institutes a year and a half of wage and price controls to prevent the shock to the economy from ruining his re-election in ‘72. when the controls end you get the beginning of the 70’s inflation wave which is exacerbated by a global depression from all the excess capacity and energy price shocks from the oil embargo. it’s at this point that American capitalists to keep afloat begin scrapping and selling American industry, freezing wages, and finacializing anything and everything to make a quick buck. so between 30 years of economic boom providing lots of things to sell and/or finance and an eventual re-leveling of the economy into slow but constant decline allowed the US to power through to the current day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 30 days!)

I once got into an argument with my late grandpa about this sort of issue re: communism's bodycount, and I told him that you have to grade these systems on a curve. If you judge it per capita over time, then nobody's bloodier than the Nazis & imperial Japanese. If you look at the broad scope of history, then nobody's worse than the British.

This isn't a fresh take or anything - you just can't downplay how brutal the Japanese were when they invaded China.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 14:06 on Dec 7, 2021