Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Varmilo actually makes a Bluetooth wireless version of their numpads, and I'm pretty sure reds is an option. They're hard to find though, I ended up ordering one off of a kind of sketch Chinese shop, but it came in good condition, never gave any problems, and my CC doesn't appear to be stolen yet. (Think they actually used paypal).

Build quality is "meh-to-acceptable", but the stabilizers are the TRASHIEST pieces of TRASH I've ever had the displeasure of typing on. Probably moddable but I haven't tried disassembly yet.

Out of stock listing, at least you can see the model #.
https://en.varmilo.com/keyboardproscenium/subject_product_detailed?subjectid=84

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Quote is not edit....

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Zarin posted:

$54 is a lot easier for me to stomach for leaving at the office where who knows what might happen to it.

I bought a keyboard bag to schlep my keyboard to and fro every time I go into the office :blush: Since it's a 60% it fits inside my laptop bag.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

On a whim I did a monkey typing test on a 7 year old Surface Pro 2's flat blue keyboard thing at 100% accuracy 124 wpm and.... uh... I've yet to break 110 with 100% accuracy with my cherry brown 10KL leopold.

... what am I doing wrong? how can I type faster? or... is the flat surface pro 2 keyboard actually any good???? Tbh it felt really good typing on it. I think I might want keys without any give. My fingers feel a little tired after typing on this keyboard....

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Exit Strategy posted:

In other news:
I'm designing a mouse, because literally every mouse in existence sucks. If they're not fragile hardware built down to a price in order to maximize profit, they're the Ploopy, and if they're not that then they have an obscene sack-of-hotdogs shaped software package that might install a crypto miner on your computer.

Like the Ploopy, it'll be running on a PixArt sensor and using QMK. Unlike the Ploopy, it'll be compatible with a large variety of switch types because that's how I roll.

e: I call it Eyes of Tomorrow.
Ploopy looks like it gets slaughtered by the MM720 (minus gamer holes & rgb) in terms of comfort/ergonomic design. That's without even touching on weight, where the MM720 is 49g, which is one of the biggest factors for comfort and ergonomics when it comes to mice.

Mice suffer mostly from trying to design shapes to appeal to as many people as possible. If companies were more willing to create hyper-polarizing shapes and offer a variety of sizes of that shape then the mouse market would be so much better. Everyone has different hands and people hold mice differently.

Open source firmware is great. I wish all kb and mice manufacturers open sourced their firmware and/or let you flash your own. It's my biggest hope for a 2022 trend.

Apologies if I missed the point of the ploopy -- if it does something weird like use keyboard switches then that went entirely over my head because their promotional page is... questionable.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 7, 2021

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

For the same reason I wouldn't buy a royal kludge, there is no way in hell I'd order a ploopy. Neither name inspires confidence.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

anothergod posted:

On a whim I did a monkey typing test on a 7 year old Surface Pro 2's flat blue keyboard thing at 100% accuracy 124 wpm and.... uh... I've yet to break 110 with 100% accuracy with my cherry brown 10KL leopold.

... what am I doing wrong? how can I type faster? or... is the flat surface pro 2 keyboard actually any good???? Tbh it felt really good typing on it. I think I might want keys without any give. My fingers feel a little tired after typing on this keyboard....

What switches do you use? Might be worth considering a lighter spring strength. My preference is in the 40-45g range, many in this thread like 60g or higher, which I find tiring.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
tbh I was going to ask for buckling springs for my Sweet Business but I thought that might be really pushing my luck

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Taffer posted:

What switches do you use? Might be worth considering a lighter spring strength. My preference is in the 40-45g range, many in this thread like 60g or higher, which I find tiring.

I use MX Cherry browns. Finding a keyswitch that had lower actuation forces was my first idea, too. I'm also wondering if it's my typing style. I find that doing something like a double letter really slows me down? Then I was thinking i was bottoming out a lot. How do people train themselves not to do that? Is that even how people type faster? I'm consciously trying to only push down as lightly as possible, but I am very prone to errors like this. I feel like this is like asking questions about proper form for walking, but I guess that's where I am now.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Not bottoming out has practically nothing to do with speed or accuracy, it's about lessening fatigue over long periods of typing.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

anothergod posted:

I use MX Cherry browns. Finding a keyswitch that had lower actuation forces was my first idea, too. I'm also wondering if it's my typing style. I find that doing something like a double letter really slows me down? Then I was thinking i was bottoming out a lot. How do people train themselves not to do that? Is that even how people type faster? I'm consciously trying to only push down as lightly as possible, but I am very prone to errors like this. I feel like this is like asking questions about proper form for walking, but I guess that's where I am now.
Browns & bottoming out are both fine. Especially if it's a quick bottom out. Brown resistance after the hump is lower so it's not too concerning to bottom out slightly even if you're rapidly bringing your finger up after.

This might be a feedback issue. The flat keys have no feedback so you just mash them out. Maybe you're waiting for feedback or overthinking bottoming out.

It could be a key motion issue. Down+up should be a rapid, single, continuous motion. That's a given on a flat keyboard and a bit different motion on a keyboard with travel.

There's two main ways to build speed: to type accurately and build up from there and to force speed during some practice sessions so you get used to it. The former is generally preferable & sounds like what you're doing, but if you're plateauing the latter is useful to mix in too. Pushing yourself to be faster during some practice sessions while sacrificing accuracy should help catch you back up to the old keyboard speed.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 7, 2021

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Khorne posted:

Ploopy looks like it gets slaughtered by the MM720 (minus gamer holes & rgb) in terms of comfort/ergonomic design. That's without even touching on weight, where the MM720 is 49g, which is one of the biggest factors for comfort and ergonomics when it comes to mice.

Mice suffer mostly from trying to design shapes to appeal to as many people as possible. If companies were more willing to create hyper-polarizing shapes and offer a variety of sizes of that shape then the mouse market would be so much better. Everyone has different hands and people hold mice differently.

Open source firmware is great. I wish all kb and mice manufacturers open sourced their firmware and/or let you flash your own. It's my biggest hope for a 2022 trend.

Apologies if I missed the point of the ploopy -- if it does something weird like use keyboard switches then that went entirely over my head because their promotional page is... questionable.

I don't particularly want to buy a Ploopy. I'm just using it as a point of reference. I plan on doing a 3D scan of my hand shape next time I'm in the office, then importing my hand into SpaceClaim and manufacturing an Eyes of Tomorrow shell to my exacting specifications. The big advantage is that it's an open-source-firmware device with *no drivers required* because I am still extremely bitter about Razer just ... deciding to install a crypto miner on my hardware.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ploopy is basically a proof of concept of the Forever Mouse - damage the shell? 3d print a new one. PCB screwed? swap it, the specs are open. Trackball missing? Buy some mini billiard balls from Amazon

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

A few years ago I spilled something on my WASD v2 ... only time I've ever spilled anything on my desk. It immediately stopped working, but I only got around to taking it apart finally. It very well could have been just water. There are no stains or stickiness anywhere ... but contacts are obviously corroded.

...uh any advice on what I do from here?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

attachment fail

Only registered members can see post attachments!

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
https://discordmerch.com/collections/snowsgiving-2021/products/discord-tkl-mechanical-keyboard

Huh. Those went quick.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

The reason mice are the way they are is that brand loyalty is bizarrely high so it's most profitable for the manufacturers for the mice to fail after 1-2 years, most customers will happily buy a new model of the same. It's a strange business, even as far as Hardware For Nerds goes.

I've had to retire multiple Logitech mice due to buildup of hand gunk that became increasingly uncleanable and disgusting rather than mechanical failure.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Well drat, I would have definitely picked one of these up if I had known they were available - I'd been looking for a hot-swappable TKL to replace my Wooting One.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Gay Retard posted:

Well drat, I would have definitely picked one of these up if I had known they were available - I'd been looking for a hot-swappable TKL to replace my Wooting One.

The Rakk Lam-Ang Pro is a barebones hot-swappable TKL for $70 if you're still looking. I would not pay $190 for that discord branded keyboard.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

teethgrinder posted:

A few years ago I spilled something on my WASD v2 ... only time I've ever spilled anything on my desk. It immediately stopped working, but I only got around to taking it apart finally. It very well could have been just water. There are no stains or stickiness anywhere ... but contacts are obviously corroded.

...uh any advice on what I do from here?

teethgrinder posted:

attachment fail

Well, to start, damage is cumulative over time so the fact that you waited this long to do anything is not great. You can clean the corrosion from the surface pretty easily, but there can easily be hidden damage you can't do anything about.

What's done is done though, so here's a guide that covers the basics: https://sfxpcb.com/clean-a-circuit-board-of-corrosion/

Deionized or at least distilled water, 90% isopropyl, and baking soda should cover any cleanup that's practical to do.

Make sure you let the board dry entirely before attempting to connect it, and personally I'd hook it up through a cheap USB hub if you have one available just in case something's wonky internally and it shorts something.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

wolrah posted:

Well, to start, damage is cumulative over time so the fact that you waited this long to do anything is not great.

I actually had no idea. But I guess too I just assumed it was a writeoff at the time. Lesson learned.

Thank you for all the advice. We'll see how it goes.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

teethgrinder posted:

I actually had no idea. But I guess too I just assumed it was a writeoff at the time. Lesson learned.

For what it's worth I had a capacitor explode in my Xbox and actually start eating the board, but it still worked after a cleanup.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926776

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

teethgrinder posted:

That looks properly hosed, but if you really want I can take a stab at fixing it. I have the ability to desolder it, test diodes and resistors, I can even reflow things like SMD's and IC's if you really want to take it there.

That being said, I wouldn't waste the money on shipping it both ways unless it's got sentimental value to you or something.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Aw thanks for the offer, but no, no sentimental values. Besides being my one clicky keyboard with Greens heh. Just figured I can't make it any worse and worth a shot.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hello to my new wishlist keyboard, goddamn

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=115585.0

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Holy poo poo, that's ambitious as gently caress. I wish the creator all the luck and would love to see this come to fruition

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Love the Viewlix inspiration there. Looks like they actually shipped a board before, so hopefully it does get made.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
A group buy? Yeah, expect that to be snatched up within ten seconds and then scalped out for 4x the price. I love the idea of a modular keyboard but it’s going to never meet demand.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Please help, goonfriends. I'm trying to find a keycap set for my partner for Christmas. Space/stargazing themed, in one of the lower profiles like XDA or DSA. She really loved the astrolokeys set on Drop, but naturally that's sold out. Amazon and Etsy both have search functions that are completely useless for stuff like this and return the same fifteen results no matter what I search for. What other stores should I check that might have something and can actually get it to me in time?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
There's an almost dead switch on the Das I ordered 7/24

they are going to RMA it but I think this is the last non-hot-swappable board I buy. Would vastly prefer popping the switch and putting in another to RMA process but I'm not going to desolder and void warranty to do so.

Sort of a bummer, I am a needlessly aggressive typist but that was one reason I spent $200 on a well reviewed all in one keyboard that other ham-fisted friends swore has held up to the ravages of their pounding.

Unsinkabear posted:

Please help, goonfriends. I'm trying to find a keycap set for my partner for Christmas. Space/stargazing themed, in one of the lower profiles like XDA or DSA. She really loved the astrolokeys set on Drop, but naturally that's sold out. Amazon and Etsy both have search functions that are completely useless for stuff like this and return the same fifteen results no matter what I search for. What other stores should I check that might have something and can actually get it to me in time?

https://drop.com/buy/drop-dsa-astrolokeys-keycaps-by-sailorhg-and-cassidoo ?

I've had my eye on that set for a while, tbqh. Amazon appears to have someone selling it for $250, which is pretty obscene. I'd probably try to get in line for the next batch and give my partner an IOU for christmas.

Getting a specifically themed set of caps in time for Christmas on 12/9/21 is going to be very hard unless it happens to be something that's a super cheap set that some company sells on Amazon; I also did not find anything "space themed".

The keycaps I am most excited about for the spring, I ordered months ago. Life is dumb.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 9, 2021

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Unsinkabear posted:

Do you want to buy new?

I’ve got a set of XDA Godspeed that I might sell, not sure if that counts as “space”. Also might not arrive before Christmas either as I’m not in the US.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Unsinkabear posted:

Not sure if these would make it in time for Christmas, but they are space/stargazing theme and apparently in XDA profile:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003303889454.html

They are clones of a GMK set, FWIW.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Unsinkabear posted:

DSA Magic Girl?
https://thekey.company/products/dsa-magic-girl-keycaps-round-2?variant=32207627092057

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Thank you for the suggestions, these are all great. I found a different alibaba shop that claimed to have the XDA Stargazing clones shipping from within the US in the next few days, so I grabbed those. I'm now going to try to cancel this set that I panic bought before remembering that she said she wanted to try a lower profile than cherrys. If not, guess they're mine! :cripes:

I might hit you up about those XDA Godspeeds after the holidays, depending on how these all shake out. I can't really say for sure if it'd be her style, but I sure like the gimmick of all the non-alpha keys playing at being ship inputs

DSA Magic Girl is probably also not quite the vibe, but I'm still glad you linked it, because that is an adorable set and that's one more website I can add to my watch list. Thank you all again!

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Sweet Business update:
- Plates are nearly done. We had an issue with the laser optics that needed fixed, but it's back to cutting now.
- All ordered switches are in and ready.
- Ijyt's millmaxes are on the way.
- New order of standoffs is on the way.
- The screaming is on the inside now.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Anybody else order a bag of mystery switches from novelkeys? I got some box navies.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

mariooncrack posted:

Anybody else order a bag of mystery switches from novelkeys? I got some box navies.

There's a bunch of posts on /r/mk - that's pretty much what everybody got.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Screama posted:

I haven't seen anything pre-built that meets these exact criteria.
One option is the GK21s from the KP Repbublic Ali Express store or their official site. It doesn't have a volume knob though, and is only offered with Gateron switches, not Cherry. However, you can opt to purchase it bare, without any switches, and then source whichever switches you like from elsewhere. It's hot-swappable so no soldering required. Battery life is not amazing though if you leave the lights on all the time.

There could be a numpad kit out there that is both wireless and has a volume knob, but it would probably be a complete DIY job with you having to solder diodes, controller, switches, etc. I don't know of any off the top of my head.

DrHammond posted:

Varmilo actually makes a Bluetooth wireless version of their numpads, and I'm pretty sure reds is an option. They're hard to find though, I ended up ordering one off of a kind of sketch Chinese shop, but it came in good condition, never gave any problems, and my CC doesn't appear to be stolen yet. (Think they actually used paypal).

Build quality is "meh-to-acceptable", but the stabilizers are the TRASHIEST pieces of TRASH I've ever had the displeasure of typing on. Probably moddable but I haven't tried disassembly yet.

Out of stock listing, at least you can see the model #.
https://en.varmilo.com/keyboardproscenium/subject_product_detailed?subjectid=84

I missed these responses to my previous numpad question until now, but I really appreciate the answers. That bare GK21s kit looks perfect. Would I need my own stabilizers as well as switches and keycaps? Anything else?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

What's the everybody's favorite ~60% hot-swappable keyboard? RAMA Kara? KBD60? Tofu60? I'm looking for one with VIA support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Gay Retard posted:

What's the everybody's favorite ~60% hot-swappable keyboard? RAMA Kara? KBD60? Tofu60? I'm looking for one with VIA support.

My answer would undoubtedly be the Bakeneko60:

https://cannonkeys.com/products/bakeneko-60

Probably the best value board in the hobby.