Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Yeah, China becoming more organized and the new policies overhauling the entire for profit ESL industry in China have made expat lifers out here rethink their long - term prospects in China.

My old ESL job just switched to an entirely Chinese curriculum, full of extracurriculars. The bilingual school I work at currently, like many others like it out here, is scrambling desperately to hire from the shrinking pool of foreign teachers left.

I'm looking to getting out in July. Southeast Asia seems to be the move. I should have my physical teaching credential by then, so I've been job hunting like a demon right now.

Worst case scenario, I move back home and get some experience before I try out for the IS circuit again, sans China of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

AHH F/UGH posted:

Yeah honestly anything boiled to like 500 degrees is going to be edible, except for all the carcinogen poo poo, but there ain't gonna be no living organism or micro organisms in it left at that point.

yeah the #1 thing causing food borne illnesses and especially the really, really bad stuff like botulism is food that was prepared and then stored at temperatures that don't inhibit bacterial growth. Food that's prepared fresh (eg if you order some poo poo that's stir fried in front of you) or literally served boiling in a pot (eg hotpot) is almost impossible to catch something from unless there's post cooking contamination.

eating food that's been on a warming tray or in a convenience store warm rack is just about the riskiest food thing you can do outside of some really weird poo poo like eating roadkill or sampling bulging cans. buffets and gas stations are really bad about this in particular where the sketchier places will just leave the food out until it sells. bad buffets will just continually add to the same tray basically indefinitely and/or will re-serve stuff days in a row. Many places also aren't checking that their buffet heaters are keeping stuff at a safe temperature and people regularly get sick af because convenience stores warm-food displays are running 20 degrees cool and are operating basically as bacteria farms

Smeef posted:

I've found pretty good Sichuanese is unexpected places around the world, but it seems like Sichuan peppercorn (hua jiao) just doesn't travel well at all, no matter how recently it was shipped, how it was vacuum-sealed, etc. Some places I've been outside Sichuan have better ingredients and great cooking otherwise, but the numbing sensation and citrus-like flavor of the peppercorn is mediocre at best. Meanwhile in Sichuan nearly every single dish has hua jiao that zings, and on occasion you accidentally get a glob that seems to make your whole body tingle.

It's kind of hard in general in the US to get good quality spices. Almost all the mass market poo poo is garbage quality (eg your store brand or mccormick or w/e) or even if it was decent quality, it was ground so long ago and has sat in the package and on the shelf so long that it's had ages to oxidize. Even bougie boutique places that seem like they'd have good stuff usually have such low sales volume that nothing outside of the local mainstays is being sold quickly enough to be meaningfully fresh. You pretty much have to either grow or grind your own or go to ethnic/immigrant markets and find the brands people are buying quickly enough that it is still pretty fresh. Spices in general just do not last very well, despite the perception that you can just toss them in a cupboard and they'll be fine for a while. Alternatively find someone actually wholesaling spices because man there is a lot of variety between different quality stuff and there's even quite a bit of what is essentially counterfeiting going on.

there's also the issue of growing conditions, plant age, country of origin, specific species (countries often will regulate that a spice must be a very specific, more sought after species but what gets exported will be a higher producing but lower quality relative) and so on.

tldr there's a billion compounding reasons why it's a huge pain in the rear end to get really good quality spices in the us.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 5, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i'm sorry for the long foodpost

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Forceholy posted:

Yeah, China becoming more organized and the new policies overhauling the entire for profit ESL industry in China have made expat lifers out here rethink their long - term prospects in China.

My old ESL job just switched to an entirely Chinese curriculum, full of extracurriculars. The bilingual school I work at currently, like many others like it out here, is scrambling desperately to hire from the shrinking pool of foreign teachers left.

I'm looking to getting out in July. Southeast Asia seems to be the move. I should have my physical teaching credential by then, so I've been job hunting like a demon right now.

Worst case scenario, I move back home and get some experience before I try out for the IS circuit again, sans China of course.

Good luck. Bangkok is wonderful if you're thinking about Southeast Asia. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

Good luck. Bangkok is wonderful if you're thinking about Southeast Asia. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

I can confirm that Atlas Hugged is a very helpful dude and knows a lot, even if I didn't end up making the move to Asia from Russia a few years ago.:v:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Atlas Hugged posted:

How accurate is this? https://youtu.be/rgc_LRjlbTU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Atlas Hugged posted:

Thanks. I've been hitting up Schrole and TES like mad for months. Apparently, with COVID and the China Exodus, this is turning into a weird hiring season for teaching abroad. On the International Teaching subreddit, there are a few stories of experienced teachers with Masters degrees getting radio silence when they would normally get hounded by recruiters from all over.

It also doesn't help that the slow gears of bureaucracy take 6 to 8 weeks to give me a PDF of my own teaching credential. Not only that, but lots of schools, like Thailand for one, are hesitant to hire outside of their respective countries.

Still, leaving China would be for the best. No choice but to try, right?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Until covid, if you had told me that was a livestream of the downtown clubbing scene I would have believed you.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i'm sorry for the long foodpost

I'm only sorry that it wasn't longer. Good info!

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

I am not sure if the chess club is still around — I would be surprised if it were, given its lack of discretion and proximity to police stations — but it certainly was part of the nightlife when I lived in Bangkok.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
So its official the US is diplomatically boycotting the olympics.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59556613

Regardless of whether or not this is actually a big deal or important, china is going to get real mad about it.

What do you think their next step will be? Ban US athletes?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

SerCypher posted:

Regardless of whether or not this is actually a big deal or important, china is going to get real mad about it.

Well they put out a statement promising "resolute countermeasures" but what can you do, just do a tit for tat boycott of the next US Olympics like the US/USSR after Afghanistan?

Rabe Radbury
Dec 12, 2019

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Well they put out a statement promising "resolute countermeasures" but what can you do, just do a tit for tat boycott of the next US Olympics like the US/USSR after Afghanistan?

Seems like they could prevent US networks from covering the Olympics or at least make it punitively difficult.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I feel like the headlines really over-state what is actually happening. Maybe I'm just Olympics Dumb though and this kind of response is Actually A Big Deal to the people who know/care, but to me if we're still sending any athletes that want to go and supporting them fully, then I'm not sure anyone will truly notice.

Seems like very "sending a sternly-worded letter to the newspaper opinion column" energy to me.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

'No official delegation' just means some public servants don't get an extremely cushy work trip.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Rabe Radbury posted:

Seems like they could prevent US networks from covering the Olympics or at least make it punitively difficult.

The IOC records and distributes all the coverage of the event, rather than individual broadcasters. China could ban journalists from attending, which would reduce their ability to do interviews and stuff, but realistically I don't think that will happen since the entire point of this endeavor has been for China to show off how modern and successful they are.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Zarin posted:

I feel like the headlines really over-state what is actually happening. Maybe I'm just Olympics Dumb though and this kind of response is Actually A Big Deal to the people who know/care, but to me if we're still sending any athletes that want to go and supporting them fully, then I'm not sure anyone will truly notice.

Seems like very "sending a sternly-worded letter to the newspaper opinion column" energy to me.

It kind of doesn't matter, but that's never stopped China from getting mad.

They will lose their poo poo if a website accidentally has Taiwan as a country in a drop down list.

They will get mad about this too (they're already mad).

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Yes but have you considered that boneshards in Chinese cooking is just chabuduo Ortolan bunting?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

SerCypher posted:

if you headline this as the Soviets but the U.S. headline brought DEFCON to 2 and then they boycott, you start the nuclear war and auto-lose

perhaps not a relevant derail but also a “diplomatic boycott” seems like a pretty irrelevant derail anyway

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It was always gonna be an awkward olympics, might as well take it all the way

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

What odds on a US snowboarder, (or something else), being arrested for "drugs", or "espionage", and being detained in response?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

What odds on a US snowboarder, (or something else), being arrested for "drugs", or "espionage", and being detained in response?

Are any of the snowboarding team named Michael?

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

BrigadierSensible posted:

More likely that someone will murder the parents of a visiting athlete and jump from a historic tower.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Grand Fromage posted:

It's not that people aren't kind and friendly, it's that the expectations of what "service" entails are so different. In China the server comes when you sit down to take your order, brings the food, and otherwise fucks off unless you shout for them. In the US that's considered rude and people (for some loving reason I cannot comprehend) want the server to fake smile and come over every 45 seconds interrupting your meal to "check in" and poo poo. At a restaurant that's Chinese staffed and catering to a mostly Chinese audience, they aren't going to do that poo poo and then they get negative reviews for bad service.

I grew up in international schools in the Sinosphere and when I visited the West Coast as an adult the main thing that struck me was how everybody wanted to have a dang conversation even if you're just grabbing something at a convenience store. Chinese service is a lot more "Wham bam thank you mam, next" for the most part. Unless you're an older person asking if the server came from Fujian or Taiwan or Hunan or whatever and then comparing family histories for a few minutes.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I found that western service industry employees break the monotony with smalltalk while in China it's with a tv or phone. Every little store/restaurant always had a tv playing somewhere for the employees or owner to watch. While in the US you'd get in poo poo if you didn't direct all of your attention towards the customer.

Also with wait staff, conversation = tips.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Blistex posted:

I wonder if this is true because when the bill comes I never contemplate how the waiter treated me and adjust my tip accordingly, I give the same percentage I always do. It seems like that would be the case for most diners.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I wonder if this is true because when the bill comes I never contemplate how the waiter treated me and adjust my tip accordingly, I give the same percentage I always do. It seems like that would be the case for most diners.

If you aren't an rear end in a top hat this is what you should do yeah

unless you're feeling generous or think they had a hard time with your table or something in which case feel free to go nuts increasing your tip over your standard 20-25% or whatever

abolish tip wages, etc.

Americans are very entitled when it comes to service employees; they're not your fuckin slave for an hour or whatever

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I always use the how often did I want them to be there, and if they have a refill for my drink without me asking. Then again, I drink alot of pop, so this is kind of an issue. I also know it's hypocritical, since when the waiter/waitress is really busy is probably when they deserve the most tips.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Blistex posted:

I found that western service industry employees break the monotony with smalltalk while in China it's with a tv or phone. Every little store/restaurant always had a tv playing somewhere for the employees or owner to watch. While in the US you'd get in poo poo if you didn't direct all of your attention towards the customer.

I love being in a shop or restaurant where the owner/workers are comfortable enough to just do that instead of forced obsequiousness.

I remember the first time I saw the George Michael video Shoot the Dog. It was at a convienence store and it was a nice moment of bonding where it was palpable that the two guys I'd been buying beer and smokes from for the last couple months also hated Bush. A real bonding experience.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tomn posted:

I grew up in international schools in the Sinosphere and when I visited the West Coast as an adult the main thing that struck me was how everybody wanted to have a dang conversation even if you're just grabbing something at a convenience store. Chinese service is a lot more "Wham bam thank you mam, next" for the most part. Unless you're an older person asking if the server came from Fujian or Taiwan or Hunan or whatever and then comparing family histories for a few minutes.

Yeah olds are their own thing but I enjoy the no small talk. Here they do it to me even though I'm wearing headphones. If I wanted to talk to you I wouldn't have these on, dude. I'm only standing here because you don't have self checkout.

Wonder if I'll get back out of this country before offing myself becomes the more attractive option.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i live in walking distance of sfo and there's like 15 deec chinese places and 5 really good chinese places in walkin distance also

dunno why, tho

I'm near there too. Recommendations welcome; so far the only places I've tried that I'd consider going back to are New Golden Wok and Grand Palace Dim Sum.

Grand Fromage posted:

When I'm scouting a new place to try this is something I look for. If there's a bunch of Americans bitching about rude/dismissive/inattentive customer service then the chances of it being legit are better.

I ignore any review containing the word "rude", it's the ultimate Karen word.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
royal feast looks like a dump but its awesome

wonderful is way too fuckin busy in normal hours but is good, go in off hours

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cong-peiwu-huawei-1.6276308

quote:

China's ambassador warns that banning Huawei from 5G would send 'a very wrong signal

"China, we don't do this kind of thing, you know, spying, or electronic monitoring. It is the United States that have been doing these kinds of things over the past decades," Cong said.

Regarding the Meng Wangzhou incident:

"Let us hope that the lessons will be learned," said Cong.

I really just want to quote the whole article, it’s a smorgasbord of ham-fisted Chinese diplomatic language.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mikerock posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cong-peiwu-huawei-1.6276308

I really just want to quote the whole article, it’s a smorgasbord of ham-fisted Chinese diplomatic language.

lol @ all
Of it

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
remember when bloomberg had that entire article about how the Chinese were installing spy microchips into like motherboards, there was a huge uproar, they never retracted it and it kinda like, went away?

Whatever happened with that?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Seth Pecksniff posted:

remember when bloomberg had that entire article about how the Chinese were installing spy microchips into like motherboards, there was a huge uproar, they never retracted it and it kinda like, went away?

Whatever happened with that?

from what I read from security tech people i trust, it was BS, that never should've been published

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah the #1 thing causing food borne illnesses and especially the really, really bad stuff like botulism is food that was prepared and then stored at temperatures that don't inhibit bacterial growth. Food that's prepared fresh (eg if you order some poo poo that's stir fried in front of you) or literally served boiling in a pot (eg hotpot) is almost impossible to catch something from unless there's post cooking contamination.

eating food that's been on a warming tray or in a convenience store warm rack is just about the riskiest food thing you can do outside of some really weird poo poo like eating roadkill or sampling bulging cans. buffets and gas stations are really bad about this in particular where the sketchier places will just leave the food out until it sells. bad buffets will just continually add to the same tray basically indefinitely and/or will re-serve stuff days in a row. Many places also aren't checking that their buffet heaters are keeping stuff at a safe temperature and people regularly get sick af because convenience stores warm-food displays are running 20 degrees cool and are operating basically as bacteria farms

This is why, at least in my experience traveling, street food tends to be pretty "safe" so long as you go somewhere that is super busy, and you can see them cooking the food in front of you.

Which is funny because a lot of people who are not used to street food are convinced that is how you get sick and will instead happily chow down at the hotel buffet instead.

The only time I got horrific food poisoning (spent a week making GBS threads/puking and wishing for death) was when I was doing volunteer work in Peru and the school I volunteered at treated us to a buffet. Never ever trust a buffet.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Something something buffet dodged

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I like having small talk with customers when I work. It’s nice to have a small human connection, if only for a moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Tomn posted:

Not to start the whole "tipping" derail. But I have found what you describe to be an American phenomenon.

When I have been in the US on holiday, I have found the performative over politeness and effusive fake friendliness to be off-putting as well. I always assumed it was because they are either trying to milk you for tips, and the fact that service workers get punished for not being seen as "friendly enough"

I did find customer service in China to be more like what I was used to in Australia, where they serve you without fuss and that's it. This is not to say I don't enjoy a little bit of a chat, or a friendly smile when at the counter. It's more that stuff like that can be very offputting when shoved in your face.