Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Midcentury Americans also fetishized photographs as a way of sharing an experience, as seen in the recurring comic storytelling trope of someone being bored by having to sit through a slideshow of their friends’ vacation.

Yeah, it's really easy to just take it for granted now, but easy film development advances in the 60s led to a huge boom in American photography. It's a boring trope now, but my grandparents used to tell stories about how whenever anyone got back from vacation there'd be an anticipated dinner party and viewing of the photos.

It feels weird and kind of milquetoast, but these were people that grew up in the depression, and now an interstate system was connecting the country as well as affordable air travel becoming more common so there was a huge hunger for seeing a world that was better than the battlefields they saw in WW2. So they and their neighbors hit up all the over the world and share their experiences with each other because no one can really afford to see everything themselves.

This may be a too much thought for the topic, but my wife loves going to second hand and consignment stores so I end up spending a lot of time in the souvenir/travel artifact section of the stores thinking on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

christmas boots posted:

What can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the reaper man?

In-context, I maintain that this is one of the most beautiful sentences in literature.

Kuiperdolin posted:

I get why authors would get mad but I think the soup thing is actually cool and hilarious.

This sounds more like something Dibbler would do IN a Pratchett novel, than something a real world publisher would do TO a Pratchett novel.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Dibbler actually did do it in Moving Pictures and I now realise that's probably where he got the idea for the joke.

I mean, yeah, it's a subliminal advertising joke done Discworld style, but that German publisher had to be on his mind.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Apparently they were pretty bad translations all around, too. And the publisher still doesn't seem to know what they did wrong.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently they were pretty bad translations all around, too. And the publisher still doesn't seem to know what they did wrong.

For years Iceland's translation of Dracula was a totally different story because no-one who spoke both languages bothered to double-check.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

DontMockMySmock posted:

A few of the books, mostly the Rincewind books, have some somewhat problematic depictions of women. They're a lot better than the sword-and-sorcery books they're parodying (a low bar for sure), but it does get a bit awkward when character after character is described as big-breasted and blonde and you can really feel Pratchett's horniness coming through. Fortunately, that almost entirely goes away after the first five books or so, with the exception of the character Angua.

But yeah, on the other hand, most of Discworld is quite excellent with regard to politics. A lot of the books are quite explicitly feminist without being horny at all.

Disclaimer: I haven't read the very early ones in years, but I remember the stereotypical female warrior Rincewind meets (Herrena the henna-haired harridan) is specifically described as not being, you know, dressed in a chain mail bikini, like he says she wears leather, but only because its practical, it's not That Kind of leather. There is the Anne Maccaffrey stuff later on, yeah...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pookah posted:

Disclaimer: I haven't read the very early ones in years, but I remember the stereotypical female warrior Rincewind meets (Herrena the henna-haired harridan) is specifically described as not being, you know, dressed in a chain mail bikini, like he says she wears leather, but only because its practical, it's not That Kind of leather. There is the Anne Maccaffrey stuff later on, yeah...

I've said for a while there's a problem with a lot of fantasy artists that they'll just draw cliché and cheesecake no matter what you tell them.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
On Discworld covers, after Josh Kirby died, Pratchett was pretty open about how he’d patiently listen to authorial instruction, nod along, and then by and large just go do his own thing, even when Pratchett had become a huge success. Didn’t even seem mad about it, just accepting that that’s how Kirby was.

Pratchett had a much closer relationship with the subsequent illustrator, Paul Kidby, which led to a more coherent, I guess, look for Discworld art. That said I’d probably pick a literal four eyes over uh https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b4/61/21/b46121cb31471475ef9e554ab5119aa4.jpg

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I feel like the ridiculous cover art kinda helped with how early Discworld leaned into parodying fantasy novels before it went more or less into its own thing.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
A bit of an unusual twist this one: media that's aged poorly not because society moved forward, but because context got lost.

When Oswald Moseley, the leader of the British Union of Fascists and all-round openly-Nazi shitbag died, a lot of British newspapers went all :decorum: with their obituaries, quietly brushing his past under the carpet.

Satirical TV show Not The Nine O'Clock News weren't willing to let people forget that the dead man the newspapers were all gushing about was a Nazi, so they did this:

https://youtu.be/LPCZvYu0QBA

But without the context that this was what was going on at the time, (and with nazis being a thing that actual politicians are going to bat for again) it doesn't read all that well.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Kit Walker posted:

Terry Goodkind was an absolute bellend with an ironic lastname. I also just found out he died last year so that's some great news for today

Oh hey cool! Looks like the cause of death wasn't publicly released, but he was apparently 72, so it probably wasn't anything too wild. The world brightens with his absence.

Now for Piers Anthony, who is to pederasty what Goodkind was to objectivism. Hopefully he goes out in such a way that they have to investigate his property.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

christmas boots posted:

IIRC there were a lot of Japanese tourists visiting foreign countries in the 80s before the bubble burst. My guess is that the large groups thing was either because the vacations were prepackaged tour groups or it was some sort of "We don't know the language super-well so if we go in a big group we should be able to figure it out and at least we'll be safer" kind of idea.

But I'm guessing it was mostly the packaged tour thing.
The stereotype was mostly due to 3 things (with a sprinkling of racism on top):
1) Organized group trips, as you said.
2) The fact that in 80s there were no smartphones and, while it was not uncommon for a family to own a camera, Photography was mostly the realm of the hobbist; cameras were expensive and bulky - also quite noticeable when used. Japan was producing a good chunk of the top tier equipment and it was relatively cheaper for Japanese people to own and operate cameras compared to the rest of the world. This means that a group or organized tourist from other countries would have less camera/tourist on them compared to a group of tourists from Japan.
3) The fact that in the 80s certain countries had very little native Asian-x population and that immigration from Asia was also not as diffused as it is today. Once again, a group or organized tourist from, IE: Spain visiting Rome would stand less out of the crowd of (monocultural, predominantly caucasian) local population compared to a group of Japanese tourists.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

Oh hey cool! Looks like the cause of death wasn't publicly released, but he was apparently 72, so it probably wasn't anything too wild. The world brightens with his absence.

Now for Piers Anthony, who is to pederasty what Goodkind was to objectivism. Hopefully he goes out in such a way that they have to investigate his property.

It was almost certainly COVID, but the dude was a 'DO NOT COMPLY/CUCKMUZZLES!!!!1111!!!11!' type, so his estate doesn't want to say.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Pookah posted:

Well, it's been a while since I've read the early ones, too, so I may be exaggerating here. But despite not having a bikini, I remember Herrena still being described in a very men-writing-women way. And there's the dragon-rider princess in Colour of Magic, who IIRC does actually wear a bikini. And then there's Conina in Sourcery, and probably one or two others that I'm forgetting. I just remember there being a lot of discussion of breasts in those early books, to the point where every female character who isn't an old woman (Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg) or a child (Esk, Ysabell) has their bust size discussed at length.

edit: to be perfectly clear, I'm not tryna cancel Pratchett here, I fuckin love his books and he got a lot better at writing women a little later in his career.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DontMockMySmock posted:

Well, it's been a while since I've read the early ones, too, so I may be exaggerating here. But despite not having a bikini, I remember Herrena still being described in a very men-writing-women way. And there's the dragon-rider princess in Colour of Magic, who IIRC does actually wear a bikini. And then there's Conina in Sourcery, and probably one or two others that I'm forgetting. I just remember there being a lot of discussion of breasts in those early books, to the point where every female character who isn't an old woman (Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg) or a child (Esk, Ysabell) has their bust size discussed at length.

edit: to be perfectly clear, I'm not tryna cancel Pratchett here, I fuckin love his books and he got a lot better at writing women a little later in his career.

The early Discworld novels were parodies. The dragonrider woman wore three napkins and string because that's how the characters she was based on were dressed (and the men did too). And Conina wears the chainmail bikini for the same reason Cohen goes round in a posing pouch - it's what's expected for barbarians. So it's not the Disc books that have aged badly; it's the source material.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Jedit posted:

The early Discworld novels were parodies. The dragonrider woman wore three napkins and string because that's how the characters she was based on were dressed (and the men did too). And Conina wears the chainmail bikini for the same reason Cohen goes round in a posing pouch - it's what's expected for barbarians. So it's not the Disc books that have aged badly; it's the source material.

Is it really "parody" if you just do the thing though?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DontMockMySmock posted:

yes, its still parody even if it isn't spelled out with a big blinking sign reading SATIRE

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
Pratchett is probably one of the least horny fantasy/sci-fi writers out there, at least from the ones I can think of. Most of his characters are terminally awkward in an endearing way, mostly over the whole "sex" thing or just completely asexual. The only exception is Nanny Ogg, who might be the only non-creepy, sex-positive elderly woman in... probably the entirety of genre fiction.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The weirdest Japanese Tourist joke is in Rosemary’s Baby.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

yes, its still parody even if it isn't spelled out with a big blinking sign reading SATIRE

furthermore, it's not diahorrea, I'm making a clever parody of people who poo poo their pants

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I found the herrena description:

quote:

In fact, the hero, even at this moment galloping towards the Vortex Plains, didn't get involved in this kind of argument because they didn't take it seriously but mainly because this particular hero was a heroine. A red-headed one.

Now, there is a tendency at a point like this to look over one's shoulder at the cover artist and start going on at length about leather, thighboots and naked blades.

Words like 'full', 'round' and even 'pert' creep into the narrative, until the writer has to go and have a cold shower and a lie down.

Which is all rather silly, because any woman setting out to make a living by the sword isn't about to go around looking like something off the cover of the more advanced kind of lingerie catalogue for the specialized buyer.

Oh well, all right. The point that must be made is that although Herrena the Henna-Haired Harridan would look quite stunning after a good bath, a heavy-duty manicure and the pick of the leather racks in Woo Hun Ling's Oriental Exotica and Martial Aids on Heroes Street, she was currently quite sensibly dressed in light chain mail, soft boots, and a shot sword.

All right, maybe the boots were leather. But not black.

Riding with her were a number of swarthy men that will certainly be killed before too long anyway, so a description is probably not essential. There was absolutely nothing pert about any of them

Look, they can wear leather if you like.
Very, very tongue in cheek.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

DontMockMySmock posted:

Yes, see how Airplane parodied Zero Hour, often by using the exact same lines of dialogue.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The fun thing about parody is it was doing something ironically before that concept was a thing

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Or the April Fool's episode of Sealab 2021 which was just a completely unaltered (except for the end shot) episode of Sealab 2020 and showed everyone just how mind-numbingly dull the latter show was.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

christmas boots posted:

What can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the reaper man?

“ALL THINGS THAT ARE, ARE OURS. BUT WE MUST CARE. FOR IF WE DO NOT CARE, WE DO NOT EXIST. IF WE DO NOT EXIST, THEN THERE IS NOTHING BUT BLIND OBLIVION. AND EVEN OBLIVION MUST END SOMEDAY. LORD, WILL YOU GRANT ME JUST A LITTLE TIME? FOR THE PROPER BALANCE OF THINGS. TO RETURN WHAT WAS GIVEN. FOR THE SAKE OF PRISONERS AND THE FLIGHT OF BIRDS.[...] LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?”

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

The fun thing about parody is it was doing something ironically before that concept was a thing

The thing with being a hipster before it was cool is that being a hipster was never cool.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Ror posted:

I always thought Earthsea was supposed to be the gold standard for non-problematic fantasy, but I still have those books sitting unread so I can't personally vouch.

Hm, maybe I'll start that tonight.

I've only read the first one but it is fantastic. K Le Guin stuff has aged well, and Left Hand of Darkness is one of my favourites if you haven't read anything by her. That one is less YA than Earthsea too

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Samovar posted:

Yes, see how Airplane parodied Zero Hour, often by using the exact same lines of dialogue.

The Airplane producers had to just buy the rights to Zero Hour because they were using so much of the original movie.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It makes watching Zero Hour now deeply surreal because it's so nearly the movie you remember.

Terry Pratchett got better about his female characters really fast. Stephen King got a lot better in later work too and I feel like both of them were more accidental background sexism than the kind of tedious horny bullshit you see in so much older genre work written by straight dudes.

Sometimes I think of Asimov's creation Susan Calvin who was a genius but just couldn't really operate on a human level because dang it, she didn't have children.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I know we’ve mentioned that Star Trek with the “lady diplomat” who dies and lets an alien energy blob inhabit and drive around her corpse after death because she wants to vicariously enjoy the pleasures of heterosexual marriage and child-rearing that she denied herself by having a career. The alien energy blob is glad for this opportunity to give up omnipotence and immortality to grow old and die because it’s the only way the man she loves can stand to be around her. It’s a happy ending!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I've read more than one late-era Ray Bradbury work that was just "I went back in time and met a nice sexy lady :-)"

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
Earthsea is cool because LeGuin returned as a mature writer something like 20 years after the third book, came to the conclusion that there had been an significant unconscious strain of sexism in her writing, and basically set out to address that thoughtfully in three further books.

Not that the earlier books were all that sexist by 1970s standards tbh but there was some casual stuff about women’s magic being wicked or worthless, and more generally the whole order of wizards on Role were all dudes. Having LeGuin come back and complicate that in an interesting way while owning up to her own changed understanding of feminism in forewords was really cool. Like the opposite of what Rowling did, kind of.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Le Guin is wonderful. Always Coming Home is my favourite book I think.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

HopperUK posted:

Stephen King got a lot better in later work too and I feel like both of them were more accidental background sexism than the kind of tedious horny bullshit you see in so much older genre work written by straight dudes.
Oh no, King is a master of tedious horny bullshit that is also incredibly gross

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Oh no, King is a master of tedious horny bullshit that is also incredibly gross

nah, King is pretty good at keeping his own dick in his pants

the thing is that King is a good writer - he writes about sex and about people and about desire, and most every fiction writer should be doing that. The problem isn't writing about sex or attractive people in and of themselves, but writing in a way that denies agency/is objectifying/where you can tell the writer is getting off to their own writing (which is also fine if it's erotica but gross when jammed into another text, most frequently by cis men).

King has a pretty good handle on keeping things at a remove, though. I read Bag of Bones (early 2000s) recently, where a major pillar of the plot is King's usual Maine-ish writer guy main character recovering from grief for losing his wife, then getting entangled with a younger woman literally half his age. And King goes hard on describing how attractive the young woman is, all the things that the character reads as come ons and all of that - and then immediately castigates his main character for how gross he's being about all these things, repeatedly pointing out that the woman is just doing normal things and it's his own dick leading him around and that's inappropriate. Eventually, the two do strike up a mutual, consenting relationship that is initiated by the woman, and without spoiling it, it is configured as a site of abject horror just as immediately. It's very clear that King is evoking sexual desire and sexual interest as part of character development and the horrific elements of the book, not just to go "oh drat i'm a good writer I get to write about hot young women and everyone reads it across the world unf unf."

King doesn't write books about old writers or professors who are just so entranced by young women who fix everything in their lives and make them feel young and virile (shudder) again, he writes books about people living American lives with American desires and fucks them up with horrifying things. There are certainly things to critique in King's writing (his continual return to stereotyping Black people and his novels frequently involving a magical intellectually challenged savant who saves the day), but King's gender politics, by and large, are pretty good. A man who's only thinking about women as sex objects he can gently caress is not a man who would write Dolores Claiborne.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Arivia posted:

Have we been reading the same King? Terrible hair, glasses, looks like a bulldog?

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Arivia posted:

The dude who can’t stop himself from describing how women’s (and underage girls) nipples get super hard when they feel any emotion? That Steven King? The child-sewer-sex-orgy guy?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Can’t bring up King in this thread without bringing up the child gangbang in It. I had forgotten about it when I reread it a decade or so ago. What the gently caress, Steve?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

HopperUK posted:

Le Guin is wonderful. Always Coming Home is my favourite book I think.

She really is. My favourite is probably The Dispossessed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

GreenMetalSun posted:

The dude who can’t stop himself from describing how women’s (and underage girls) nipples get super hard when they feel any emotion? That Steven King? The child-sewer-sex-orgy guy?

I think Steve's explanation of the sewer orgy makes sense, it's a bunch of teenagers trying to make sense of themselves and their relationships under incredible stress. Is it normal? No. Is it hosed up? Yes. Does it make sense in the context of a horror novel with a bunch of warped relationships? Yes.