Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Nonsense posted:

Your politicians are weak. Why haven’t they bodyslammed those writing lies? You don’t need lawyers.

It's because they all went to the same university societies as the journalists and are now cowed by the fear that the shared blood/sex rituals they partook in will be revealed to the public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Seems like every other week there's a storm.
Did we always have this amount of storms or is it only since we started giving them names?

Welcome to the joy of living in an Archipelago, i guess. :shrug:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I see Rod Liddle is trending for being a giant pissy babby because some students walked out instead of sitting and listening to the man who once said he shouldn't be allowed to be a teacher because he would molest the children, and has decided to bring that level of tact and decorum to the student sex work support debate.

https://twitter.com/joshuaseigal/status/1468166989684396036

I love how 'people don't like me because I did bad things' is now 'CANCEL CULTURE IS OUT OF CONTROL! NOBODY IS SAFE AND YOU'LL BE NEXT!'

I mean you just say you think there isn't enough islamophobia in modern politics and advocate having sex with children a few times and suddenly the woke elites won't sit and listen to you telling them what you think any more! :argh: U N B E L I E V A B L E :argh:

Convex fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 7, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
it's easier than accepting that nobody wants anything to do with you because you are a gigantic sack of poo poo, i suppose

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"I wrote an entire reasonable essay discussing my ideas and the woke students just called me a nonce and left."
"What was the essay about, Rod?"
"noncing"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Guavanaut posted:

I see Rod Liddle is trending for being a giant pissy babby because some students walked out instead of sitting and listening to the man who once said he shouldn't be allowed to be a teacher because he would molest the children, and has decided to bring that level of tact and decorum to the student sex work support debate.

https://twitter.com/joshuaseigal/status/1468166989684396036

This good

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Jennifer_Arcuri/status/1468009354947399681

https://twitter.com/Jennifer_Arcuri/status/1468032338189852677

https://twitter.com/hackerfantastic/status/1468037762909618181

loving lol.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

tbh at the time that Monbiot mentioned Lisa Nandy, we in this thread were also appreciating that when asked dumb bullshit questions by the media she just openly called them idiots asking stupid questions

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/PhilipProudfoot/status/1468160961815138304

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The MP my aunt voted for every time she could, everyone.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Twitter made every idiot with a computer think they're in a 90's hacker movie and it's dumb as hell.

I think one potential solution would be to make a fake training version of the internet (like Hypnospace Outlaw but with a convincing Chrome type UI and fake websites and everything) which comes preinstalled on all smartphones and tablet devices, and only lets people onto the real internet once they can puzzle their way through the training level. This constitutes a site dump of modern Facebook and Twitter but with no way for the user to interact with the outside world, but with a few private messages explaining how to access the real internet for anyone that can actually process basic information. Anyone that doesn't realise it's all meaningless bullshit has to stay there forever like in Black Mirror.

Convex fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 7, 2021

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Dorries is there for one reason only, to make the culture war as dumb and as provincial as humanly possible.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Dorries will be the next leader of the Conservative party, and will comprehensively defeat Starmer in the next (and final) UK General election.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

I think one potential solution would be to make a fake training version of the internet
*Blade Runner music as the screen fades and it is revealed that we're all on the fake internet*

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Plot twist, the Internet was closed down in 2016 and 99.9% of interactions are bots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEn758DVF9I

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm entirely convinced that 99% of people and like 90% of people who make their living off posting would be better off and happier if they simply logged off all their social media accounts forever. Pretty much the only positive way to use these things is to exclusively chat with your mates in private, or to aggressively curate who you have contact with to the extent that you've effectively recreated a Web 1.0 niche interest mailing list.

If all you use them for is an ICQ replacement and for example showing pictures of cool lizards to other likers of lizard pictures maybe you'll have a good time. But even then it's going to turn out that @lizzardfan420 also posts constantly about Etherium and the age of consent and you end up contaminated all the same.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

big scary monsters posted:

I'm entirely convinced that 99% of people and like 90% of people who make their living off posting would be better off and happier if they simply logged off all their social media accounts forever. Pretty much the only positive way to use these things is to exclusively chat with your mates in private, or to aggressively curate who you have contact with to the extent that you've effectively recreated a Web 1.0 niche interest mailing list.

If all you use them for is an ICQ replacement and for example showing pictures of cool lizards to other likers of lizard pictures maybe you'll have a good time. But even then it's going to turn out that @lizzardfan420 also posts constantly about Etherium and the age of consent and you end up contaminated all the same.

Agreed op. All these people dunking and being dunked and in general spending their lives on twitter, I find it genuinely impossible to believe thru wouldn't all be happier doing almost anything else.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Hello! Walk-in booster question. I'm not quite hitting the date mandate (6 month / 182 days since shot 2), about a half month out, so should I not waste anyone's time trying to see if the local walk-in clinic can do a booster for me, or are they a little relaxed on being strictly 6 months past a jab?

I've got some time off work so if it's not gonna be a problem, I'm happy to go out of my way a bit to get a booster and presumably suffer the side effects before the holidays properly start.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

andyf posted:

Hello! Walk-in booster question. I'm not quite hitting the date mandate (6 month / 182 days since shot 2), about a half month out, so should I not waste anyone's time trying to see if the local walk-in clinic can do a booster for me, or are they a little relaxed on being strictly 6 months past a jab?

I've got some time off work so if it's not gonna be a problem, I'm happy to go out of my way a bit to get a booster and presumably suffer the side effects before the holidays properly start.

They're pretty relaxed, apparently, IIRC several goons ITT work at/have gone to walk-in clinics and they've been sticking needles in whoever.

It's good that you're being proactive about it!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I though boosters had been reduced to 3 month gap now? Get your booster asap.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
They have book you can't book it under 6 months

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Barry Foster posted:

They're pretty relaxed, apparently, IIRC several goons ITT work at/have gone to walk-in clinics and they've been sticking needles in whoever.

It's good that you're being proactive about it!

Thanks!

Came over to the walk-in centre. unfortunately they wouldn’t let me in. last jab was 26th June so they said i can come back from next Monday, so i’ll try an early morning visit then. They were nice about it, explained they were waiting on being authorised to drop to three months, but unfortunately can’t admit me today.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

big scary monsters posted:

This is basically what I've ended up doing inadvertently by just never bothering to join Twitter and Instagram and steadily downgrading my FB usage over the years, unfollowing anyone non-essential who stirs up even mildly negative emotions on my part. Basically I read these forums and a handful of niche non-political subreddits and for the rest use FB messenger and Whatsapp to talk to friends and family.

Occasionally over the years I've considered diving into Twitter, but the constant chorus of people lamenting ever joining it has convinced me not to. I now can't really see myself joining any real large-scale social media platforms any time soon because if it makes people feel how they say they feel then it'd definitely make my life worse.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

All orders have now shipped :)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Aw poo poo Kayley the wolves ave only gone and gulped 'er Maj https://twitter.com/AllyFogg/status/1468201266643931148

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It’s been said a million times but social media is so toxic because it’s essentially unmoderated which ends up being the same as actively promoting the minority of shouty fash assholes above everybody else.

Other than these forums I can’t think of a single site or service that has opted for a heavily moderated approach, with a paid entry to offset the lower ~engagement~ from booting out all the dickheads.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There are other BBS type forums, but they mostly died or went across to Facebook groups.

There are also Facebook groups that are private and heavily moderated, but you usually don't get effortposts or long threads, so they become collections of memes and comments to memes and ephemeral injokes unless they're for a specific hobby or craft where you're posting stuff you made or asking specific questions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If the queen can't fight off a wolf or bear then is she really fit to be the queen? Time was the monarch would go out and fight them for fun with all their mates, bloody snowflake monarchies these days wanting a participation crown, honestly it makes you despair it does.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I was just thinking that the only positive thing about the divine right of kings was that they were expected to prove it and if some bear or wolf got them while they were out hunting that was basically the divine removing that right.

Then they got all lazy with big curly wigs and lapdogs and fancy suits and yet still claimed to be divine and got their head cut off and that was that.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
I've been on here, Gwl@d (Welsh rugby site for deviants), and onetouchfootball for over 20 years now.

They are all far better than Twitter.

Although if I was in charge I would like to see an end to contextless linking to Twitter posts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What is particularly deviant about welsh rugby?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

I was just thinking that the only positive thing about the divine right of kings was that they were expected to prove it and if some bear or wolf got them while they were out hunting that was basically the divine removing that right.

Then they got all lazy with big curly wigs and lapdogs and fancy suits and yet still claimed to be divine and got their head cut off and that was that.

That sounds like history according to Philomena Cunk

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Lungboy posted:

Fall of Kabul information in the Indy today https://mobile.twitter.com/mattholehouse/status/1467987496772542470

It's incredibly awful.
loving hell
https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1468244867226783749

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

What is particularly deviant about welsh rugby?
They sing about their hens laying fish on things before they play.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Relatable though. I ain't answering any calls from work on my holidays.

Me and the head of the Foreign Office, basically the same

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
He's admitted to making a mistake though?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Universal credit update, they *might* have competed the work capability assessment before 3 months, they just didn't tell me they had completed the assessment till I called them asking when his medical would be and they said he didn't need one. January/February might get paid properly because right now

£35 a week in council tax amd rent
£10 a week in bus
£10 a week clothes
£30 a week in bills
£10 a week entertainment
£40 a week in food =

£56 universal credit

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I've noticed a few people in the Monbiot debate seeming to imply that purity (in terms of never having said / associated with anything problematic) is a unique problem with 'the left,' when honestly it seems like a problem with a minority of hardliners that you would get in any collection of human beings. And then go on to pretend the majority of people on the left are like that.

Just look at the Riley / Obermann spiral of insanity over trying to get people fired for liking a tweet that mentioned Corbyn positively. Or fubpees pulling up any criticism of the EU as proof of racist arch-brexiteering. Or hell, getting shitcanned by BTS stans for once saying you didn't like their music. Every group has these hardliners for whom a 'this you' hit means never having to listen to that person again.

As as side note it's one of the reasons I find twitter dunks so impenetrable, because half the time they revolve around knowing not only who the person is, but also the context of what they said, and the context of the person doing the dunk.

My least favourite example is Tomska, asdfmovie animator. Some of his old videos have issues. Some are outright offensive to vulnerable people. But if you keep up with him now, he's just an older youtube guy trying to make wholesome content who gets kicked in the dick every few months when someone rediscovers content he's clearly sorry for.

Counter example I think I've mentioned before: Jim Davidson. Whereas Tomska is openly apologetic over his older content and trying to do better, Davidson is clearly not happy he's had to stop being racist. There's a video on youtube of him at a signing saying he can't keep apologising for stuff he said 30 years ago, but if he genuinely regretted it and realised why it was wrong, why would you not apologise every time it came up? Why rail against the cancel culture that won't let you say the gamer word on stage any more?

There is a huge difference between someone who said something poo poo and is trying to be better, and someone who was poo poo and is still poo poo. The issue with pulling up old tweets like that is whether it's to warn people they're hypocritical / still poo poo, or if you're doing it to say "You shouldn't listen to this person, ever if they're right, because they once did a bad." And a worrying amount of people don't seem to recognise the difference between the two.

If you have someone like Monbiot who says the Nandy recommendation was because he was put on the spot about a subject he (at the time) didn't really understand, and is apologising for it now, leave the guy the gently caress alone. Dunk on him for it sure, rag on him for it, but lets not pretend it's any reason to never listen to what he has to say again, especially when he's one of the few journalists taking anticapitalist sentiment even remotely seriously.

I hate to seem like I'm aligning myself with the 'ugh, they're posting screenshots of old tweets' discourse from a few days ago, (or the kind of anti-woke rants Vitamin P used to go on), but there's something massively toxic to any movement that indulges in your-fave-is-problematic levels of refusal to accept that a person can ever change their opinion.

People - even people on the left - seem to be portraying it as a uniquely leftist problem though, and it's not. Not really.

Monbiot is broadly good now, and is at least trying. Like yes he expressed a poo poo opinion. Everyone had poo poo opinions back then, and he admits that it was uninformed.

This is a good post. Not that I agree entirely with everything you've said here for reasons I'll get into in a moment, BUT I do definitely agree with you about being judged by your continued actions rather than solely on things you've done in the past. It's something I've struggled with, thinking of times in the past where I've said/done lovely things and hurt people when I didn't need to - and I'm sure most of us have said or done something that we're not proud of at some point. But with my recent anxiety I'd been playing it up in my mind thinking that having done those things, I could never be considered a "good person" again. Of course that's nonsense - if you let those experiences inform your future actions, realise the wrong that you've done, and are repentant, and vow not to do them again then *that's* what makes you a good person. And of course nobody is perfect and nobody succeeds 100% of the time to be as good a person as you can be.

Edit: Though obviously we should consider people's previous actions when viewing their current actions and proclamations. People shouldn't be condemned for life for a single action, but if Keir Starmer suddenly comes across all socialist, it's totally within our (the left's) rights, based on his previous record of saying one thing and doing the opposite, to tell him to gently caress off until he shows us that he can be trusted and means it by actually following through on a pledge.

Of course I'm also not equating liking Lisa Nandy with "being a good person" or not because obviously the factors that make you a "good person" are subjective to some degree and merely having a political blind spot, in my view, doesn't make you (necessarily) a bad person (though you're allowed to say you suspect there's some correlation between "liking Lisa Nandy" and "not being a good person" by your own metrics!).

In any case it seems that the broader left agrees because I've seen plenty of things before saying basically that, for example, ex-KKK members can be welcomed by leftists so long as they realise they were wrong and why they were wrong and correct their future actions.

Anyway the point is less that Monbiot has said he likes Nandy, it's more that:

He has said some melty things and come to some weird conclusions about things in the past and on an ongoing basis.
His reaction to somebody bringing up that he said that he liked Nandy is to go on a screed about "the puritanical left".

Neither of those things make him a bad person, per se. I've said repeatedly that I think that he's a "good egg" and also that I think his heart is in the right place, I just think that he has some big blind spots, and those same blindspots are evident in other centrist liberals to greater or lesser extents. Also he seems to have some of the instinct that is common among other liberals of "doubling down" or a kneejerk bad reaction when criticised, which is a barrier to learning and expanding horizons.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 7, 2021

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

learnincurve posted:

Universal credit update, they *might* have competed the work capability assessment before 3 months, they just didn't tell me they had completed the assessment till I called them asking when his medical would be and they said he didn't need one. January/February might get paid properly because right now

£35 a week in council tax amd rent
£10 a week in bus
£10 a week clothes
£30 a week in bills
£10 a week entertainment
£40 a week in food =

£56 universal credit

That's loving rough lc

A gentle reminder that the UKMT Solidarity Fund exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

forkboy84 posted:

Relatable though. I ain't answering any calls from work on my holidays.

Me and the head of the Foreign Office, basically the same

I would simply set an Out of Office reply so that the desperate Afghans would know to try emailing a colleague