Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Hand Knit posted:

I'd bet he goes down fighting. Granted, that usually ends poorly, but he might as well shoot his shot.

The K is on f8 because he couldn't castle, and he couldn't castle kingside because he played h5. While he was okay(ish) until b5, I think h5 is where it starts to go wrong for black. He basically never manages to fix his rook or even properly finish development.

He couldn't castle not because of h5 but because of the previous move. He had opened himself to Qh5, a double threat to h7 and the center pawn.

Ravel posted:

There's no need to try swashbuckling desperation chess yet.

I guess the need arose one game later..

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

The K is on f8 because he couldn't castle, and he couldn't castle kingside because he played h5. While he was okay(ish) until b5, I think h5 is where it starts to go wrong for black. He basically never manages to fix his rook or even properly finish development.

but if he had done 10... Qe7 instead of Kf8, then he could have castled queenside! or even just march the king up the board when the queens get traded off!

9... h5 doesn't look as bad to me as 10... Kf8 does. But 9... Be6 probably would have been more solid.

Doctor Malaver posted:

He couldn't castle not because of h5 but because of the previous move. He had opened himself to Qh5, a double threat to h7 and the center pawn.

mm.. yeah, maybe by the time he played 9... h5, he had already decided he wasn't gonna be able to castle kingside? Would like to have seen opposite side castling in this game!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Well, that was interesting. Lichess rates you 1500 to start, i played a 1655 and lost because black seemed to focus on material before positioning and development. However, I only had 2 inaccuracies and 1 blunder. I normally average closer to 3 inaccuracies, 3 mistakes, and 4 or more blunders.

Silver linings :gbsmith:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Game 9 is up, starting off with a surprise Ian haircut and 1. c4!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I haven't seen an English opening in forever, either personally or watching.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The manbun gone!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I've looked at this line a bit as white, and my understanding is that if white knows what they're doing it's good for white. Now of course Carlsen is probably not playing total poo poo, but I imagine that his choice is also somewhat dictated by pursuing something that Nepomniachtchi hasn't totally prepared for.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

V for Vegas posted:

The manbun gone!

Only winners can wear the bun

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

V for Vegas posted:

The manbun gone!

Behind the scenes footage in Nepo's hotel room:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AbleIdolizedAvians-mobile.mp4

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Nepo throwing

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I'm kinda amazed how harsh the announcers are to Ian. But it does seem like he tilted and is probably going to get blown out in the remaining games.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Is Magnus shaking his head because he screwed up, or is he just embarrassed for Nepo?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

The latter

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Sub Rosa posted:

The latter

I think that and a bit of annoyance that Ian ran off to hide instead of ending this thing.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Ian should give himself 20 minutes to compose himself and then come back to the board and resign tbh

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Sub Rosa posted:

Ian should give himself 20 minutes to compose himself and then come back to the board and resign tbh

I think that's what's going to happen, it sucks that it happened this way.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I don't totally get the blunder here - I get the bishop's trapped, but why is it getting trapped contingent on Ian first playing c5? Couldn't Magnus just play c6 anyway and trap it?

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

Knight c5 would have saved it then I think

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Sway Grunt posted:

I don't totally get the blunder here - I get the bishop's trapped, but why is it getting trapped contingent on Ian first playing c5? Couldn't Magnus just play c6 anyway and trap it?

c5 blocks Nc5, defending the bishop. It might also be just that c5 is a wasted move.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Sway Grunt posted:

Putting his own pawn on c5 prevents the knight from going there to defend the bishop.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Sway Grunt posted:

I think the idea is if he attacked the knight he could at least get compensation for losing it. Alternately he could have jumped his knight to where he put the pawn and protected the bishop? I dunno, I suck at chess.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Aha, thanks all, makes sense. I did not see that.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Poor Nepo, that first loss broke him.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Not resigning. And still probably doesn't know about Magnus touching the Knight before moving a different piece. Rough press conference coming up.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Sub Rosa posted:

Not resigning. And still probably doesn't know about Magnus touching the Knight before moving a different piece. Rough press conference coming up.

Uhh, I thought that was against the rules. Whether Nepo is there or not, isn't that a rules violation? That really affects my opinion of Magnus a lot. :sigh:

But then again, it looks like he did the same thing in 2016 against Savchenko.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Sway Grunt posted:

Knight c5 always protects the bishop there, and is the only reason he was able to play Bxb7 at all. Blocking the indirect defense of your own piece with a reckless pawn move is a mistake you make when you’re hovering under and around 2000, not when you’re challenging Magnus Carlsen for the championship.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Baronash posted:

Is Magnus shaking his head because he screwed up, or is he just embarrassed for Nepo?

https://twitter.com/olimpiuurcan/status/1468241513956220928

he can't believe that a super GM trapped his own bishop like that

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

D34THROW posted:

Uhh, I thought that was against the rules. Whether Nepo is there or not, isn't that a rules violation? That really affects my opinion of Magnus a lot. :sigh:
Ian wasn't there to notice and call an Arbiter and it isn't the sort of thing an Arbiter can choose to step in on. I think it's a no harm no foul sort of thing since Ian wasn't there personally. But it's a controversial part of the game. Maybe if Ian was there Magnus would have made a worse move.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

vyelkin posted:

https://twitter.com/olimpiuurcan/status/1468241513956220928

he can't believe that a super GM trapped his own bishop like that

It was probably like "Wow, that's bad." "Wait, it's SO bad, there must be something else I'm not seeing about it..." "Nope, it's just bad."

Except really fast, because Magnus.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Sub Rosa posted:

Magnus was really annoyed about the touch move question in the presser. He was kind of a dick to the reporter. He could have just said "I was adjusting the piece, which I announced" and leave it there.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Sub Par posted:

Magnus was really annoyed about the touch move question in the presser. He was kind of a dick to the reporter. He could have just said "I was adjusting the piece, which I announced" and leave it there.
He clearly adjusted the piece. It moved quite visibly to the center of the square, and the hold was typical for when Carlsen adjusts pieces.

Touch move is the most tedious rule because of how pedantic some people are about it. It's a good rule in spirit, don't touch pieces more than necessary, but in practice adjustments and bumps happen. Nepo wasn't there for Magnus to declare an adjustment and there was no arbiter nearby.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Khorne posted:

He clearly adjusted the piece. It moved quite visibly to the center of the square, and the hold was typical for when Carlsen adjusts pieces.

Touch move is the most tedious rule because of how pedantic some people are about it. It's a good rule in spirit, don't touch pieces more than necessary, but in practice adjustments and bumps happen. Nepo wasn't there for Magnus to declare an adjustment and there was no arbiter nearby.

Oh yes I get that and totally agree. But the "this again... do better" instead of explaining what was happening just feels dickish.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Welp, that's pretty much ball game. I don't think anyone thought Nepo could come back from two down, but now three down, with two of the losses from his own blunders? No chance. Gotta feel for the guy, no one wants to go out like this. :sigh:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

jng2058 posted:

Welp, that's pretty much ball game. I don't think anyone thought Nepo could come back from two down, but now three down, with two of the losses from his own blunders? No chance. Gotta feel for the guy, no one wants to go out like this. :sigh:

"The prize fund is €2 million split 60% vs 40% between winner and loser"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it would have been so much better for the series if magnus had crumbled under time pressure in game 6, but i guess what’s why he’s the champ

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
At last, a blunder in a world championship match that I wouldn't have made! (I would have blundered many other times in different ways)

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

tanglewood1420 posted:

At last, a blunder in a world championship match that I wouldn't have made! (I would have blundered many other times in different ways)

Rating is just the mean time between blunders

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Do we have a goon team on lichess? I feel like it would be nice to have some chess friends that aren't randoms.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

tanglewood1420 posted:

Chess Thread: I would have blundered many other times in different ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

D34THROW posted:

Do we have a goon team on lichess? I feel like it would be nice to have some chess friends that aren't randoms.

isn't it listed in the OP?