Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Remember those Amazon reviews of the Taylor Swift album complaining about a man's voice instead of Swift's? My favorite local shop is selling some t-shirts of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I don't really post here much, but had a cool set of finds at a new-to-me shop just outside of Denver that I've absolutely fallen in love with...

Anyone collect "Original Verve Jazz Classics" Japanese reissues?

Went by "Black & Read" music/book shop in Arvada, Colorado this past weekend to do a little hunting and came across a factory sealed OVJC. Neat! Reissues aren't really my thing unless they're from relatively the same timeframe, but really cool nonetheless. But then I came across another... and another. All of them sealed.

Then one of the guys working the shop told me I was welcome to pick through a few unsorted bins behind the counter. There were even more! I came across roughly two dozen (if not more) factory sealed OVJCs. I've never seen that many of them in one shop, let alone that many still sealed. It's such specific niche in jazz record collecting, and someone clearly put a lot of effort and care into collecting them (the shop bought them as a set from the original owner). Whoever let them go must've been pretty hard up for some cash.

I passed on them because again, I'm not usually looking for reissues, and I'd be that rear end in a top hat to crack em open and spin them. These need to go to someone who appreciates those OVJCs specifically.

So if anyone here collects them, contact Black & Read, who knows, maybe they'll sell online.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

CaptainBeefart posted:

Remember those Amazon reviews of the Taylor Swift album complaining about a man's voice instead of Swift's? My favorite local shop is selling some t-shirts of them.

That was a pretty funny experience. I put the first disc on for the wife and the intro started… we were both like “ok this sounds different”

Then the vocals started and I was like ok lol, checked my speed slider and it was at zero, paused, tapped the 45 button and then laughed.

Interestingly enough there is zero indication anywhere in this discs or sleeve it’s at 45pm.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Bum the Sad posted:

That was a pretty funny experience. I put the first disc on for the wife and the intro started… we were both like “ok this sounds different”

Then the vocals started and I was like ok lol, checked my speed slider and it was at zero, paused, tapped the 45 button and then laughed.

Interestingly enough there is zero indication anywhere in this discs or sleeve it’s at 45pm.

lol

I have a handful of records that do not obviously indicate what speed to play them at, and I almost always pick the wrong speed first try.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
That's just how you discover cool new samples for vaporwave songs. :colbert:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
The awful app doesn’t like me posting pics but imagine if you will the album art for Euryhmics’ Touch and Madonna’a Madonna with the caption “weekend haul”

Here comes the rain again is such a great opener. Hell yeah.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Read After Burning posted:

That's just how you discover cool new samples for vaporwave songs. :colbert:

:hmmyes:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Have you tried side A of Johnny Jewel’s Themes for Television at 33 until halfway into the first track with vocals? It’s a mood

Anyway on my walk last night i was randomly attacked by someone’s unleashed staffordshire terrier and my hand became a snack. Now it has a fracture and will need six-ish weeks to heal.

very much :nws: and kinda :nms: too

So no spinning records for me this holiday season. A fate worse than death

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pwn posted:

Have you tried side A of Johnny Jewel’s Themes for Television at 33 until halfway into the first track with vocals? It’s a mood

Anyway on my walk last night i was randomly attacked by someone’s unleashed staffordshire terrier and my hand became a snack. Now it has a fracture and will need six-ish weeks to heal.

Holy poo poo. I hope the police got involved

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Holy poo poo. I hope the police got involved

No kidding. May you have a successful lawsuit and buy all the Garth Brooks box sets your heart desires.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Yeah seriously, I hope your hand heals quickly pwn and comes back to normal; so you can have flashy sweet DJ moves when changing Garth Brooks discs. Flip them discs!

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

CaptainBeefart posted:

lol

I have a handful of records that do not obviously indicate what speed to play them at, and I almost always pick the wrong speed first try.

While sorting my records a month or so ago I came across a white label 12” which I didn’t remember buying. Had a Rough Trade logo and nothing else.

Put it on and still didn’t recognise it. Even tried to ID it with Shazam; no luck. Turned out it was the 'Final Day' promo single by Belle & Sebastian which I'd bought years ago. I was playing it at the wrong speed. Felt like an absolute prat.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Creature posted:

While sorting my records a month or so ago I came across a white label 12” which I didn’t remember buying. Had a Rough Trade logo and nothing else.

Put it on and still didn’t recognise it. Even tried to ID it with Shazam; no luck. Turned out it was the 'Final Day' promo single by Belle & Sebastian which I'd bought years ago. I was playing it at the wrong speed. Felt like an absolute prat.

Did you buy it in 2017? There was a fella from Glasgow named Steve (not Jackson) selling a huge collection of test pressings and promos and such that Summer, I got some CDs and he burned me a bunch of great bootlegs but regrettably i missed out on a Dog on Wheels test press 12” that i fancied.

Turbinosamente posted:

Yeah seriously, I hope your hand heals quickly pwn and comes back to normal; so you can have flashy sweet DJ moves when changing Garth Brooks discs. Flip them discs!

I’m glad i just finished my semi-annual Mild Rearranging of my collection a few days ago, that would have sucked to have records laying about for weeks on end.

Of course the authorities were involved, I needed an ambulance and all. Pretty sure the guy is another poverty-stricken schmuck so no real point loving around with that.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Got my Black Friday haul from Ears of the Beholder and the Piper represses from Light in the Attic:

I also picked up the 45 of this banger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uU36sqpqoE

and the B-side is pretty good tooo!

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

pwn posted:

Did you buy it in 2017? There was a fella from Glasgow named Steve (not Jackson) selling a huge collection of test pressings and promos and such that Summer, I got some CDs and he burned me a bunch of great bootlegs but regrettably i missed out on a Dog on Wheels test press 12” that i fancied.

Haha, I wish I was that cool. I bought it from a little record store in Sydney. If I remember correctly it was part of a huge consignment from some guy who spent his life collecting a giant UK indie/dance collection ever then died of cancer. I picked up an original Blue Monday 12” and a signed copy of Matt Berry's ‘Opium’ at the same time, but had to say no to what must have been the entire run of 80s Pet Shop Boys singles. My budget only stretched so far. 😓

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I'm autistic.

I went searching for my old Shure mx97e cartridge and found the metal case but not the actual cartridge.

I might have thrown it out by accident when I was moving some stuff around.

I bought it for $69. It's worth $400+ now.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkk

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I bought it for $69.

Nice

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I'm autistic.

I went searching for my old Shure mx97e cartridge and found the metal case but not the actual cartridge.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkk

I'll sell you my unused Shure mx97e for $399

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I’ll sell mine for $420

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

:hfive:

Traditionally this hobby belonged to us!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

CaptainBeefart posted:

lol

The newest Darkside Side D (which is like a jam side) is exclusively at 45, the rest of the album is 33.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Barry posted:

I'll sell you my unused Shure mx97e for $399

I was looking for it TO sell it.

Full-grade need a helmet just to breathe jfc

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

pwn posted:

pwn posted:

Of course the authorities were involved, I needed an ambulance and all. Pretty sure the guy is another poverty-stricken schmuck so no real point loving around with that.
Jesus gently caress man this is why I always carry a pistol. Sorry you’re gonna have to pay for this idiots negligence.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Arcella posted:

Got my Black Friday haul from Ears of the Beholder and the Piper represses from Light in the Attic:

I also picked up the 45 of this banger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uU36sqpqoE

and the B-side is pretty good tooo!

Oh hey would you look at that, bought this a while ago and was surprised to see it get picked up for a reissue, even if it was just a couple of tracks on 45. Have you thought about buying directly rather than through this Ears of the Beholder place? It's actually pretty easy to do with a proxy service and usually much cheaper

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I mean I've used buyee before and of course bought from discogs sellers in Japan, but I also like the curation, small writeups, and sample tracks on youtube EOTB puts on their pages. All the records I've gotten from them so far have been in stated or better condition, so I view the whole thing as worth a few bucks of markup. They actually had original pressings of Casiopea the other day for a decent price that went super quick.

I'll still probably get that whole Air Suspension Club Band record eventually.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Fair enough then. Casiopea ones aside from Mint Jams and the self titled are fairly easy to come by nice and cheaply, the trick is finding the bulk lots that have it in there amongst a bunch of the other albums that no one likes to get it cheaply.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

screaden posted:

Fair enough then. Casiopea ones aside from Mint Jams and the self titled are fairly easy to come by nice and cheaply, the trick is finding the bulk lots that have it in there amongst a bunch of the other albums that no one likes to get it cheaply.

Any good search terms for this, or do all the sellers know what they got and put it in the listing title?

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Any suggestions for record stores in Las Vegas? The more obscure/eccentric the better.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Any good search terms for this, or do all the sellers know what they got and put it in the listing title?

You'll wanna add まとめ to search terms, usually artist name will be enough to come up with the good stuff but sometimes they will sell as genre lots so like "演歌 まとめ " will be big lots of enka music. The machine translation stuff can be a bit fucky too so it's generally better to search both in english and the kanji/katakana forms.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I'm autistic.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkk

I'm getting rid of mine when the stylus goes cause it's cheaper to buy a different cart than a new stylus.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Has anyone gone through the whole ebay returns process? I talked to the seller who graded a scratched record as VG+ and they're being a huge pissbaby about it because they agreed neither to a small partial refund or to pay return shipping. So then they told me to initiate the claim with ebay "So we can be done with this purchase.". It seems like they just want me to throw my hands up and say "gently caress it." which I'm considering. They even said they play graded it which I heavily doubt because the scratches on it are very obvious even at a cursory glance never mind on playback. Plus it had big greasy chimp handprints on it before I cleaned it. So either this seller is a liar or has no business being a record dealer. Anyway, is this worth all the hassle? It's kind of on the borderline of what I'd accept and I really only wanted to be refunded the shipping and sales tax.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

gently caress that dude, ebay sellers are ruining the collecting part of the hobby anyway. You tried communicating with him to make things right and he didn't budge, so let ebay handle it and they will almost certainly get you a refund.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I'm sure that dude knew he was selling a less than VG+ record and is salty about being called out about it. Don't let them get away with it.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Has anyone gone through the whole ebay returns process? I talked to the seller who graded a scratched record as VG+ and they're being a huge pissbaby about it because they agreed neither to a small partial refund or to pay return shipping. So then they told me to initiate the claim with ebay "So we can be done with this purchase.". It seems like they just want me to throw my hands up and say "gently caress it." which I'm considering. They even said they play graded it which I heavily doubt because the scratches on it are very obvious even at a cursory glance never mind on playback. Plus it had big greasy chimp handprints on it before I cleaned it. So either this seller is a liar or has no business being a record dealer. Anyway, is this worth all the hassle? It's kind of on the borderline of what I'd accept and I really only wanted to be refunded the shipping and sales tax.

Pretty sure ebay sides with the buyer in most cases (which is why I am always wary of selling there). You might be stuck with the return shipping though.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I thought Ebay's new policy was to now automatically generate a return label when a return claim is made? I could be very wrong on this. But yeah go and make the claim, and include photos of the damage. Odds are you'll get a refund and maybe not even have to ship it back.

Edit: I don't know why the seller wants you to escalate it to Ebay to be done with it unless he thinks he can talk smooth enough to get out of a refund or something?

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 8, 2021

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

CaptainBeefart posted:

Any suggestions for record stores in Las Vegas? The more obscure/eccentric the better.

I'm partial to Record City, the E Sahara location in particular for jazz and R&B. The Charleston location has a decent rock line up.

I'd also check out Moondog Records. Their prices are spendy, but their selection is great (which use why their prices are spendy).

11th Street Records is hit or miss. If I ever find anything there it's usually on the big unsorted bins up by the registers.

Avoid Zia Records imo.

Not a recommendation, but there's a store called Vegas Vinyl I've been meaning to check out. If you happen to go during your travels let me know your thoughts!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

There's a few things going on here. I really was just going to ask him to refund the shipping cost which is a grand total of $5.50 (I was considering maybe the tax too which brings it up to a whopping eight bucks but I was just leaning more towards the shipping only because I think that's reasonable) but seeing as he was being a dildo about four bucks I'm sure he won't go for that. I think his biggest deal is that he's salty that I was the only bidder and he didn't make something closer to the absurd prices other sellers have listed the record for that no one is paying. This is the first time I've ever had an issue with a seller giving a partial refund for an incorrectly graded record. My main hang up is that I just don't feel like going through the hassle of shipping the thing back. Especially if he can possibly try some bullshit and then I'm out the money and the record. It seems like he'd try that because why else would he escalate this to an ebay dispute when not only will that mean he has tp pay the return shipping but that's much more bullshit for someone who claims they "want to be done with this purchase". He's clearly trying to jerk me around for spite and mostly likely is going to list it again and try to get more money for it. So that's why I'm wondering if it's worth loving with all that. I get the distinct feeling that this guy will drag this out as long as he possibly can. This is the exchange between us. Also, separate from this back and forth he sent me a message that said "Please kindly start a return request so we can be done with this transaction" before I even responded to the last message in this chain:

Whatever way I decide to do I've decided just to not to buy used records online unless the total cost with shipping is 20 bucks or less because I'm tired of gambling on whether or not the seller can grade worth a gently caress or is honest in their gradings. At best it's been 50/50 with that. Even with visual grading I've gotten a few things that were clearly below the grade they listed. And I've had at least one seller claim a VG+ play grade that had significant surface noise. Until recently I didn't buy used records much online. But I haven't been able to go to record stores in a long time and much of the poo poo I buy online is stuff you're unlikely to find in a store. I really should have just come to this decision a long time ago.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

bigman.50grand posted:

I'm partial to Record City, the E Sahara location in particular for jazz and R&B. The Charleston location has a decent rock line up.

I'd also check out Moondog Records. Their prices are spendy, but their selection is great (which use why their prices are spendy).

11th Street Records is hit or miss. If I ever find anything there it's usually on the big unsorted bins up by the registers.

Avoid Zia Records imo.

Not a recommendation, but there's a store called Vegas Vinyl I've been meaning to check out. If you happen to go during your travels let me know your thoughts!

Awesome, thank you. I'll check out Moondog and if I make it to Vegas Vinyl I'll let you know my thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016