Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone on Discovery is a mid-decker

Only Michael Burnham is an upper-decker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Is Gray even allowed to stay on Discovery?
It was a ship designed with a super secret sport drive, not one with families.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

happyhippy posted:

They let the murderous cannibal dictator of another universe run buck wild around the ship for a while without giving a poo poo so I doubt they’re worried

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Butternubs posted:

Say what you want about Alex Kurtzman (Hack, Idiot, Bad at writing, Dumb etc.) But he's completely immune to any type of criticism. He just keeps ploughing along completely oblivious to any type of feedback, His shows just get worse and worse with no sign of stopping, and you have to respect that.

When you put it like that, I'm surprised HBO didn't poach him for one of the GoT spinoffs.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

happyhippy posted:

I mean, Adira seems to have stayed because Michael slapped a pip on their collar and basically drafted them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Book gets to stay because he’s the captain’s consort?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

egg tats posted:

and yeah, not ONLY is tilly going through michaels bullshit from last season, it's explicitly reversing her arc from the last 2 seasons, since she was in training to switch to the command track and very much seemed like she wanted to be captain someday. after episode 1 I was assuming she was for some reason on the presidents shortlist for voyager

Oh it was very much a big part of her character, literally the first episode with her in it has her tell Michael 'Here's a thing most people don't know about me. I'm gonna be a Captain someday.'

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Yay, caught up with the thread. Took me slightly longer than watching the 3 eps of Disco.

Something no-one seems to have picked up on is they seem to be angling Grey into the role of ship’s counsellor. Out of nowhere, Culber has gone from just being ‘a doctor who is also here if you want to talk’ to doctor and ship’s counsellor, which is seemingly pulling him in two directions and running him ragged.

In episode 1 or 2, Adira told Grey he’s a good listener/advice giver, so I feel like he’s being set up to take over that role from Culber.

Oh geez, I hope you're wrong but I feel that you're right. Still, what a horrible choice that would be. Isn't Grey literally a child? Not even a prodigy or anything, no connection to Tal anymore, so just a regular traumatized kid. I cannot imagine ever going to a therapist who was a teenager.

It's already bad enough Culber is suddenly ship's councilors + Saru for the alternative medicine approach. What they need is somebody from the future, trained in modern technology and methodology, to be the ship therapist.

tangent: has anyone besides Burnham bothered to try and see any relatives? I wouldn't give a big poo poo about my 900 years later descendents, presumably they are all ugly as hell and massive jerks by then, but still, I'd google em at least just to see what's up.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The real Grey died, what they have now is the Trill memory-ghost of Grey who thinks they're a real person.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Khanstant posted:

tangent: has anyone besides Burnham bothered to try and see any relatives? I wouldn't give a big poo poo about my 900 years later descendents, presumably they are all ugly as hell and massive jerks by then, but still, I'd google em at least just to see what's up.

Non burnham characters aren't real, op

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

HD DAD posted:

“mid-deckers”

i just want more lower decks

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

The_Doctor posted:

Book gets to stay because he’s the captain’s consort?

I think he's officially a civilian security advisor to Starfleet or something along those lines

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

hiddenriverninja posted:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

hiddenriverninja posted:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The Chairman posted:

I think he's officially a civilian security advisor to Starfleet or something along those lines

Yeah, Book still being onboard makes sense because as a courier he’s kind of like a guide to all the various planets and cultures Disco is trying to reconnect. That’s why he was advising Burnham in diplomacy with the butterfly idiots.

Which also makes him Neelix, if Neelix had been sleeping with Janeway :thunk:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

hiddenriverninja posted:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

skasion posted:

They let the murderous cannibal dictator of another universe run buck wild around the ship for a while without giving a poo poo so I doubt they’re worried
Hey now, we don't know if she ate other Terrans. Kelpians are a completely different sentient species!

hiddenriverninja posted:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

hiddenriverninja posted:

The monkey paw's fingers twitch

quote:

With so much Star Trek going on, Kurtzman was asked if we are “going to see some significant crossovers.” While not providing any specific plans, Kurtzman revealed crossovers have been on his mind:

It’s really funny that you asked that question because I was just thinking about it this morning… Here’s the thing about crossovers; I think crossovers are can be really, really exciting. But they have to exist for a reason. There has to be a great story reason to do it. And it has to move both shows forward in a way. And it does feel both of you are right, that inevitably it’s coming somewhere somehow. But I think we want to be as intentional about doing something like that as we’ve been about our selection of shows and the way in which we’ve curated each show to have its own distinct identity.

Because the flip side to doing a crossover wrong is that people are really disappointed and it impacts both shows. So it’s just not a gamble that I would want to take randomly. that being said, it’s certainly exciting to think about certain pairings that you’re like ‘Wow, what would it be like if those two characters were together or those two crews were together?’ But I want to be careful about it. So I guess the most direct answer I can give you is it’s on my mind but I haven’t thought about a specific yet.

https://trekmovie.com/2021/12/06/alex-kurtzman-talks-inevitable-star-trek-universe-crossover-says-section-31-show-is-still-alive/

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The crossover will be AGIMUS being installed as Michael's first officer

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The LDS VAs turning up as their characters in Picard would be amazing honestly.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'd enjoy a blink-and-you'll miss it cameo of the three just hanging out, no need for anything more than that

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I don’t like the guy as much as the next person, but nothing he’s said there is… wrong?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

The_Doctor posted:

If I had a robot body, I’d absolutely start tricking it out. Especially if programmable matter is now a factor.

If Grey becomes Inspector Gadget I might become a fan of this stupid show.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

If I had a robot body, I’d absolutely start tricking it out. Especially if programmable matter is now a factor.

i wish i hadn't read this because immediately you get a bunch of cool ideas where it could be used but know that it just ain't gonna happen.

I wonder where they plan to go with these two anyway, so far their whole deal has been just "two young people who are way too close and dependent + scifi of that." Adira's best use so far was just being the future-superior whizkid but they haven't really used thatagain since first introduction.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

The Bloop posted:

The disco neck things are bad because THEY DON"T EVEN SHOW RANK

who is a Lt JG I don't know

not that it matters, the org chart is

MICHAEL -> everybody else

(there are small pips on the neck things)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, you can see it probably most clearly on Vance or maybe Michael and Saru cuz they have a bunch of pips due to their rank.

Also Linus is apparently still a junior Lt.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Bloop posted:

But like, maybe the host remembers remembering the memories they once remembered.

Memory is weird. Trill memory doubly so

That's kinda how it works; As-presented/inferred from DS9, how Trill symbionts work is the Host gets a whole lot of psychological training to prepare themselves for the Joining, because once it's done things get a bit muddled. What happens is the Symbiont jacks in like an organic USB device and whatever memories it has of past hosts are Joined to the current Host's own memories. So while they gain a shitload of knowledge and experience, it's all subjective and they've gotta be able to sort out what is actually their own memories and what belonged to someone else of a different gender who died a century back. Eg; That time you went out to lunch with a friend last week, and that time a past host went out to lunch with a friend two hundred years ago. It's what you see Ezri dealing with in Season 7.

If you yank out the symbiont, the Host still has whatever they've subjectively experienced, so all the stuff they've recalled or learned from it is still gonna be there.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bilirubin posted:

(there are small pips on the neck things)

I specifically looked more than once so they're lovely if so

I saw 4 on Michael's and Saru's but zero elsewhere

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Bloop posted:

Aside from the size of the pips, you can see the immediate problem on the right in that shot; The character looks down and they disappear. Disco feels like it's had a real problem with not screen-testing their uniforms since day-one with the blue/gold ones, and all the problems those apparently had, because these should be real easy issues to catch and correct in preproduction.

This isn't even a hard problem to solve; Put the pips horizontally on the black vertical stripe. It'd be distinct and visible from most angles, and calls back to TNG-era uniforms.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bloop posted:

I love how the composition of that pic makes it look like Owo accidentally just put someone really gross up on the view screen and is desperately trying to close the window.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

nine-gear crow posted:

I love how the composition of that pic makes it look like Owo accidentally just put someone really gross up on the view screen and is desperately trying to close the window.

Used programmable matter to create a live action Tubgirl.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If Owo has pips like Michael's, they'd be visible in that shot

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah I’m pretty sure only captains and dadmirals have pips on the neck thing. Everyone else just has the same two lines that mean nothing because this show is terrible about displaying rank.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

For all the skill and quality in most of the production design, they have had like, four uniforms so far and they all sucked? I don't know poo poo about making clothes but it seems odd that this is the one thing they just can't seem to manage.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I haven't seen the last two seasons, but that picture doesn't look too bad? A little wetsuit looking maybe?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The priest collar tab placement for the rank thing is weird and reminds me of those heavier foily sticker labels you sometimes see, but otherwise, it's a pretty slick uniform this season. Looking again, it seems like they're basically identical to the grey ones introduced end of season 3. Same pattern, just swapped grey for the better looking primaries, kept the asymmetrical cut and such.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear crow posted:

"Viewscreen on"

*Programmable matter morphs out the pattern of colossal hands opening a hole in the center of the monitor, spreading outwards in a circle*

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I thought the V shaped bars were the rank bars at first until last week I noticed they were all the same.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Grand Fromage posted:

For all the skill and quality in most of the production design, they have had like, four uniforms so far and they all sucked? I don't know poo poo about making clothes but it seems odd that this is the one thing they just can't seem to manage.

I like the new ones, but they need a few tweaks. I wish the command red was a little less bright, the rank poo poo needs to be simplified, the pips on badges concept was neat in theory but it clearly doesn’t work in camera, and the collars need to be open.

Just give them Nehru-style collars and TNG pips and call it a day. Maybe make the pips into the arrowheads or something if you’re feeling really ambitious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just use Mike's dress uniform from 4x01, pop some pips on the collar and call it a day.