Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
WheelofCussin on Twitter is pretty funny, if you like cheap humor. These are my favorite:

https://twitter.com/WheelofCussin/status/1464517074848559104
https://twitter.com/WheelofCussin/status/1467669391370244100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

MegaZeroX posted:

I posted this in the other thread, but I'd thought I'd post it here. I've watched through dozens of reactions/reviews from not book readers, and here are my favorites:

Reactions
  • Everyday Negroes - A bunch of friends chilling and watching a show together
  • Redlaytee - A big fantasy fan who pays a lot of very close attention and makes a ton of theories.
  • pReviewed - A couple of friends, one book reader, one not, who crack a bunch of jokes as they go through.

Review
  • Maidens of the Spear - A book reader asks about a non-booker reader's thoughts about the show. In jokes/terminology gets built, and the episodes are very long with predictions and stuff, so its a ton of fun.
  • Tori Talks - A couple of women who don't really like and consume much fantasy talk about their thoughts.
  • Nerdy Nightly - A couple of fantasy fans talk about their thoughts

Hey thanks for posting this list. I'm going to check out some of the channels. I just tried listening to the Ep 4 Wheel Takes pod episode on a plane ride last night, and just died inside when they all started squealing about polyamory. Christ.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

So Parrot Analytics has Wheel of Time as #1 for digital shows last week, slightly above Arcane and Hawk Eye.

It is worth noting that their numbers aren't directly streaming numbers though (which are kept private). Instead, it has a nebulous "demand" which is their measure of social media influence of a show (hence why Game of Thrones is still sow high). However, it does directly correlate with viewership numbers, and is taken seriously by the industry. It also is used even by the companies with the viewership numbers to identify the strength of audience engagement.

How are u posted:

Hey thanks for posting this list. I'm going to check out some of the channels. I just tried listening to the Ep 4 Wheel Takes pod episode on a plane ride last night, and just died inside when they all started squealing about polyamory. Christ.

NP. All of those reactions/reviews are fun in different ways. It is also interesting just how different new viewer's takes are, particularly about who is the Dragon Reborn.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 7, 2021

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s also like reading tea leaves cause streaming services cancel shows at their own whims. It’ll probably see at least 5 seasons though.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Honestly as this season has gone on the hooks have gotten deep. After the first 3 i was very okay with catching them over the weekend, after the end of 4 and now 5 I feel very hyped waiting for the next one to drop this Friday. Hopefully others are feeling that way and that can help carry it through. I'm really enjoying the small foreshadowing they're dropping that will be great to revisit. I get the impression this is going to be a lot of fun to rewatch as you catch more of the detail hidden in the show, which is a great parallel for the enormous amount of detail given in the text.

I honestly feel like they wouldn't have invested in starting this if they weren't reasonably dedicated to seeing it through given it has all the content you need. LOTR probably makes them more money, and I hope that helps keeps this going too since the expectations were I think smaller from Amazon for it.

I feel like this has done well enough that as the series ramps up, it'll be increasingly harder to kill it off without that becoming an issue as the fanbase it builds will want to see that through even if it doesn't do exponential viewership expansion. That said who knows how they decide what they decide with their billions for what they choose to waste it on in any given year.

I'm honestly just very impressed and pleased with how they've managed the adaptation so far, and my trust that they'll get it right enough is very high at this point.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s also like reading tea leaves cause streaming services cancel shows at their own whims. It’ll probably see at least 5 seasons though.

Usually not top performing shows in metrics like these. Particularly since WoT is also doing pretty well internationally on these metrics (at least for last month). Better then Arcane, though a bit worse than Hawkeye. If you look at shows that get cancelled, they are way more niche (always in "average" or "good"), and strongly US audience focused. eg: MST3K? The analytics showed it performing mediocrely, and the audience is very US based.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

amazon would have to be very visibly eating poo poo on multiple metrics for them to just arbitrarily cancel the show that they are pushing as their big jump into prestige sci-fi/fantasy television adaptations. like i get that people are cynical about this stuff but there's generally reasons why it randomly happens for other titles and this one isn't going to magically qualify for that unless later seasons somehow do absolutely dogshit in numbers.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Amazon aren't going to drop their most watched show of the year and of their most watched shows of all time. We're getting a long run from this

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Honestly as this season has gone on the hooks have gotten deep. After the first 3 i was very okay with catching them over the weekend, after the end of 4 and now 5 I feel very hyped waiting for the next one to drop this Friday. Hopefully others are feeling that way and that can help carry it through. I'm really enjoying the small foreshadowing they're dropping that will be great to revisit. I get the impression this is going to be a lot of fun to rewatch as you catch more of the detail hidden in the show, which is a great parallel for the enormous amount of detail given in the text.
It's the same for me. I watched 1-3 on the weekend they came out, watched 4 sometime Friday afternoon, and stayed up to watch 5 the second it dropped. I've watched every episode at least twice (looking for more Padan Fain, looking for some other details that people mentioned that I missed, etc). Episode 5 was interesting - while it wasn't very action packed, I was so in to what was happening that I didn't notice the time passing at all. I was really, really surprised when it ended with the funeral.

My parents (my father read the books, my mother hasn't) are also absolutely loving the series and they really aren't TV series watchers at all.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I have informed my boss that I'm leaving early every Thursday until after Christmas because this show is good enough I need to watch it immediately

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
The latest Inside the Wheel of Time had an in interesting map that showed the culture and costuming they wanted for each country of the world.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

More maps! MORE MAPS!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Y'know what I keep circling round to? And this is a small thing, really, but: we've not had a single one of Ba'alzamon's fireside chats yet. All the dreams have been super perfunctory to this point. And god forbid I suggest they try to cram even more material into these wildly overstuffed episodes, but this does mean Ishamael's had no characterisation whatsoever. I feel like that that's something you'd want to do before we move into the finale. It's not like a massive confrontation with him at the end, but I do feel like, if they keep it, it is going to land a little flat if Ishy's just some random weirdo still at that point.

Maybe they can flesh him out in Fal Dara?

e: That is a neat map, is there a shot of the full thing?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Y'know what I keep circling round to? And this is a small thing, really, but: we've not had a single one of Ba'alzamon's fireside chats yet. All the dreams have been super perfunctory to this point. And god forbid I suggest they try to cram even more material into these wildly overstuffed episodes, but this does mean Ishamael's had no characterisation whatsoever. I feel like that that's something you'd want to do before we move into the finale. It's not like a massive confrontation with him at the end, but I do feel like, if they keep it, it is going to land a little flat if Ishy's just some random weirdo still at that point.

Maybe they can flesh him out in Fal Dara?

e: That is a neat map, is there a shot of the full thing?

Based on what people are saying of episode 6 being amazing, I get the feeling they're going to do a bit of a time jump of some sort. Rand gets some training with the sword in, Mat gets healed/rested up and his fight with the rich boys, maybe Perrin gets some more characterization and we see see some more dreams with Ishy, and we see the start of Egwene and Nynaeve's training.

And I'd love to see that full map of where they're getting costumes from.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

seaborgium posted:

Mat gets healed/rested up and his fight with the rich boys

unless there's a real surprise, they haven't cast those boys

i think we get the thing where he's made better but not fully healed

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Or that, they do the thing where it slows it down a lot so they can recover it from Fain. Forgot about that part where it gets stolen.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yeah in TGH they kinda seal the corruption so it's not taking over Mat's mind but it is still eating away at him physically.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Oh and one thing that's in the behind the scenes feature where that map comes from there's a board with the various national designs on it and Seanchen is one of them. Heck yesss

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Oh and one thing that's in the behind the scenes feature where that map comes from there's a board with the various national designs on it and Seanchen is one of them. Heck yesss

Marcus Rutherford pulled a Tom Holland and mentioned the Seanchan in an interview, so I presume we're seeing them in season two, which makes all the sense in the world.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

jng2058 posted:

Marcus Rutherford pulled a Tom Holland and mentioned the Seanchan in an interview, so I presume we're seeing them in season two, which makes all the sense in the world.

The imdb page for the show lists a "young girl on coast" in the season credits. People are extrapolating from that to posit that the final shot of the season will be Seanchan boats approaching the coastline.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

This story cannot happen without them and I don't know why you wouldn't want them around. They're important foils for the cultural norms of randland and another example of the influence of the DO on the current state of the world.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

For some people, if it's not explained as existing in screen by someone in the most obvious way, then it doesn't exist on the show

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CainFortea posted:

For some people, if it's not explained as existing in screen by someone in the most obvious way, then it doesn't exist on the show

I know writers who use subtext AND I REFUSE TO WATCH THEIR SHOWS

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

I know writers who use subtext AND I REFUSE TO WATCH THEIR SHOWS

Why are these kids so surprised at Tar Valon?! It's like 4 hours away from their house!!

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Regarding Mat, there's a spoiler that is still going around despite a photo that got leaked a couple weeks ago that looks to show the opposite of that: Episode 6 is Barney's last as Mat.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The cowards still haven’t shown an overhead view of Tar-Valon. So much for being inclusive Rafe.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Invalid Validation posted:

The cowards still haven’t shown an overhead view of Tar-Valon. So much for being inclusive Rafe.

at least they made the tower look like dick & balls

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

ad090 posted:

Episode 6 is Barney's last as Mat.

noooooooooooooooooooooooo

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

ad090 posted:

Regarding Mat, there's a spoiler that is still going around despite a photo that got leaked a couple weeks ago that looks to show the opposite of that: Episode 6 is Barney's last as Mat.

I could see him not making the journey to Fal Dara as he recovers. maybe nynaeve stays with him and enters the novice book and they all head to Toman Head later. i could also see that spoiler being total nonsense

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ChubbyChecker posted:

at least they made the tower look like dick & balls

I just about choke-laughed when I saw that. Magnificent.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I just about choke-laughed when I saw that. Magnificent.

I'm just waitnig for the camera to rotate up over the top and show the island from above.

They kept the shape

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ad090 posted:

There's also a pic of Mat with everyone at the Waygate so y'know, believe what you want at this point

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

MegaZeroX posted:

I posted this in the other thread, but I'd thought I'd post it here. I've watched through dozens of reactions/reviews from not book readers, and here are my favorites:

Reactions
  • Everyday Negroes - A bunch of friends chilling and watching a show together
  • Redlaytee - A big fantasy fan who pays a lot of very close attention and makes a ton of theories.
  • pReviewed - A couple of friends, one book reader, one not, who crack a bunch of jokes as they go through.

Review
  • Maidens of the Spear - A book reader asks about a non-booker reader's thoughts about the show. In jokes/terminology gets built, and the episodes are very long with predictions and stuff, so its a ton of fun.
  • Tori Talks - A couple of women who don't really like and consume much fantasy talk about their thoughts.
  • Nerdy Nightly - A couple of fantasy fans talk about their thoughts

Everyday Negroes and Tori Talks are the funnest to watch.

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Yep, this owns

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Uno's one of us

https://twitter.com/robertsguy/status/1467985028156112903

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
What's the best, high quality map of the world that I can find for the Wheel of Time world? I've seen a few on google image search but not all of them are particularly nice.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

JosefStalinator posted:

What's the best, high quality map of the world that I can find for the Wheel of Time world? I've seen a few on google image search but not all of them are particularly nice.

Frankly, those are probably the best you're going to get. Maps are not a strong point of the franchise.

Actually, did Jordan not draw that thing under duress? Like he didn't want one and his publisher was like, no we cannot sell epic fantasy with no maps. That is flatly not going to happen.

Did I imagine that?

e: I know I heard that about some fantasy series and I'm pretty certain it was this one, but maybe I'm confused.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

JosefStalinator posted:

https://atlasoficeandfireblog.files.wordpress.com/2020/03/newwotbase-1.png

I took "high quality" to mean "high resolution" and that's the best I can find. It doesn't look as artsy fartsy as the original maps.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

JosefStalinator posted:

There was a large map included with one of the calendars they put out like 15 years ago.

Right now the best option is probably to check on etsy.

Some good images here:
https://dragonmount.com/gallery/album/13-wot-maps/

My favorite map is this one:

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I like WoT but I've always found the "big rectangle" map to be a little lazy. You can use the breaking to hand-wave it, I guess.

Still used to have fun looking at the map and guessing which country the next book would go to.