Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

We need to repeal AEDPA already

It has made it functionally impossible to right a wrong at the state level in federal court

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

raminasi posted:

That reads to me like "this thing we want to do is stupid and unjust but the law says we can so you have to let us." If they're correct about the law, what's the "right" solution here? Junking that portion of the law on constitutional grounds? (Obviously that won't happen, of course.)

Yes. It should be a 9-0 "this poo poo is Unconstitutional so it's null and void" ruling but the SCOTUS is stacked with garbage so it's going to be 6-3, or worse, saying that it's ok to execute someone who wasn't given the proper defense they're supposed to receive. To do otherwise would run afoul of the long-standing tradition of prosecutors intentionally withholding exculpatory evidence because the entire point of the US criminal justice system is bloodlust and punishment. Truth and actual justice is an occasional side-effect.

vyelkin posted:

My extremely cynical guess is that the Court will respond "oh woe is us, we cannot overturn this established precedent from 1993, put the innocent man to death" and then the next day release an opinion saying "precedent is for losers, we're overturning Casey and Roe."

IIRC, they did exactly this with Shelby County and another case.

The SCOTUS is a farce and every POTUS and Governor who abides by their rulings is a coward.

FlamingLiberal posted:

We need to repeal AEDPA already

It has made it functionally impossible to right a wrong at the state level in federal court

Working as intended.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ilkhan posted:

Im not being blasé, I'm agreeing with you.

Ah OK misread your comment

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Anyways the ancient conservative liches on the court are stuck in the 70s and 80s fears about violent :airquote:inner city:airquote: criminals pouring into the suburbs to loot and murder and the corollary that bleeding heart liberals are doing it to us by letting criminals walk. These narratives molded their personalities and legal theories so they're inherently skeptical of any argument that might reduce conviction rates (aside from rich people buying justice) because they worry cunning criminals will use them to take advantage of foolish liberal judges. Since a respectable person would simply pay for premium legal protection, "ineffective assistance of counsel" is inherently an argument from suspicious characters who are probably guilty of something.

But this view isn't inherent to conservatism. Like the drug war, it's a Boomer psychosis born out of traumas related to the Civil Rights Era, so I wouldn't be surprised to get a 5-4 ruling with some of Trump's shiny new Gen X judges joining the liberals on this one since they don't see what's so important about maintaining maximum conviction rates regardless of justice. Kinda like how Gorsuch was able to correctly reason that discriminating on the basis of gender identity is also inherently discrimination on the basis of sex because his brand of lovely pro-business conservatism isn't encumbered by 1950s gay panic

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 6, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1468007382395596801?s=20
https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1468008599037390850?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That report will be useful as toilet paper when we live in a oligarchy run by Republicans

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I think we all knew where it was going when we saw who was on the commission. Even if it had only been liberal law professors it would've been weak poo poo like this.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I can't believe that the commission report just harps on how the status quo is good. Truly a shocking development nobody saw coming.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lol it's a high school paper

"All in all, court reform is a land of contrasts, thank you for reading. "

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

FlamingLiberal posted:

That report will be useful as toilet paper when we live in a oligarchy run by Republicans

I'd be curious to see how that future differs from the present.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'd be curious to see how that future differs from the present.

I’m sure Soviets in the 1950’s would be tickled pink to love to know how the Russia they worked so hard for is in present day!

I foresee something similar happening to this country, just with more self proclaimed warlords stealing taxpayer-paid-for military equipment by the battalion-load to make little fiefdoms for themselves at gunpoint around the world.

You know, the dream of every Republican, apparently?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

jeeves posted:

I’m sure Soviets in the 1950’s would be tickled pink to love to know how the Russia they worked so hard for is in present day!

I foresee something similar happening to this country, just with more self proclaimed warlords stealing taxpayer-paid-for military equipment by the battalion-load to make little fiefdoms for themselves at gunpoint around the world.

If/when that happens it means a lot of nukes will end up in the hands of a lot of insane people willing and possibly eager to use them with no thought to the consequences.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

ilkhan posted:

They shouldn't be counting by whatever standards they feel like. The methodologies should be standardized, and shouldn't end in different results (so that different groups counting should still end up with the same results). But I'll concede that 2000 was not as black and white as I thought.

But it does still sound like a good reason we should push for mandatory audits of every election, every time. Every legit vote should be counted. And people should know that their vote was meant something.

I certainly agree with all the electoral best practices that you're talking about here. Standardized, audited, transparent elections should be the right and expectation of every American. In the moment of the 2000 election, everything was quite a bit more murky, and probably the best thing to have done would have been for the US Supreme Court to back up the Florida supreme court - both because SCOTUS didn't have any particular legal insights to offer that hadn't already been explored at the lower level, and because the best remedy for the systemic electoral machine problems was clearly to conduct to a manual state-wide recount (which was already underway due to the Florida Supreme Court order). At the end of the day, it was very clear to everyone that SCOTUS interjecting itself into a state election and halting a court-ordered recount - in a patently partisan manner and without any real legal jurisdiction or reasoning - would have the effect of delegitimizing the integrity of the court and the outcome of said process. And that's exactly what happened.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bush v Gore wasn't just bad because they installed the guy who lost they also claimed in the decision that it only applied to this single case which is insane.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Bush v Gore wasn't just bad because they installed the guy who lost they also claimed in the decision that it only applied to this single case which is insane.

Yeah that was very much an admission that there was no real legal reasoning involved - they couldn't defend their action, and didn't want to be held to account in the future. It was a real shark jumping moment.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

They also knew full well that "this only applies here and nowhere else" rings hollow because the SCOTUS can't order other courts, let alone a future SCOTUS, to ignore one of their rulings.

Clinton and Gore should've rejected the SCOTUS ruling on Bush v. Gore but that'd require them to have spines and if they did they wouldn't have been Democrats (or in that situation to begin with).

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Evil Fluffy posted:

SCOTUS can't order other courts, let alone a future SCOTUS, to ignore one of their rulings.

They do this all the time, judges and lawyers are keenly aware of the precedential value of a given ruling

It might be lovely, but it's not like the system isn't equipped to do it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I mean they "can't" do what they did in Bush v Gore where they said it only applies to that specific case but everyone kinda has to go along with it because otherwise it means every presidential election is invalid.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Evil Fluffy posted:

Clinton and Gore should've rejected the SCOTUS ruling on Bush v. Gore but that'd require them to have spines and if they did they wouldn't have been Democrats (or in that situation to begin with).

How would that have worked, exactly? Clinton sends federal marshals to take over Florida's count? Maybe he just arrests the state's electors after the fact and instates his own?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

I mean they "can't" do what they did in Bush v Gore where they said it only applies to that specific case but everyone kinda has to go along with it because otherwise it means every presidential election is invalid.

Non-precedential decisions are all over the federal courts of appeals; the reason that SCOTUS (usually) doesn't use them is because their docket is discretionary, not mandatory, so they (mostly) just don't take up cases that would result in a non-precedential decision.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The decision in Bush v Gore absolutely should have been precedent there's no argument that stands up to scrutiny for them to say "uhhh but this only counts here".

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

raminasi posted:

How would that have worked, exactly? Clinton sends federal marshals to take over Florida's count? Maybe he just arrests the state's electors after the fact and instates his own?

Tell the state electors they should continue and that the USMS is going to ignore any orders from the SCOTUS to enforce their ruling. The power of the SCOTUS comes entirely from people accepting and abiding by their decisions. They have no actual power to enforce anything.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Evil Fluffy posted:

Tell the state electors they should continue and that the USMS is going to ignore any orders from the SCOTUS to enforce their ruling. The power of the SCOTUS comes entirely from people accepting and abiding by their decisions. They have no actual power to enforce anything.

Why would the state election apparatus listen to the federal government? (Why would the USMS have enforced the ruling at all?) Are the marshals going to make them keep counting somehow? Is the federal government going to take over the count? In either case, what happens when the state doesn’t want to play ball?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

raminasi posted:

Why would the state election apparatus listen to the federal government? (Why would the USMS have enforced the ruling at all?) Are the marshals going to make them keep counting somehow? Is the federal government going to take over the count? In either case, what happens when the state doesn’t want to play ball?
We're already at that point. Lefty states/regions/cities are ignoring federal immigration laws, conservative states/regions/cities are ignoring federal gun control laws.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

raminasi posted:

This seems like a relevant question given the GOPs current efforts to capture statewide election apparatus. (though perhaps less relevant since they have also successfully captured the judiciary already)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

What happens is a constitutional crisis. Democratic counties could continue to count protected by US marshals, Republican counties might not and the feds would either have to take over or back down and let a coup happen.

But since the Republicans were willing to carry out a coup (with violence if necessary, see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks_Brothers_riot) and Democrats were not willing to resist one, obviously none of that was going to happen.

And now one of the participants in the riot to buy time for the high court to pull off a coup is on the high court herself instead of being jailed and disbarred, thanks Clinton! And special shout out to RBG for saving a seat for her.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ilkhan posted:

We're already at that point. Lefty states/regions/cities are ignoring federal immigration laws, conservative states/regions/cities are ignoring federal gun control laws.

The next national election is almost certainly going to feature multiple instances of states refusing to certify winners. What happens after that? Biden says that he’s very disappointed and some dnc fundraising emails mention election integrity.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fortunately we will all be saved from an illegitimate coup by the fact that Biden is so catastrophically unpopular that he is almost certain to lose the next election fair and square even in a world with no voter suppression.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Fortunately we will all be saved from an illegitimate coup by the fact that Biden is so catastrophically unpopular that he is almost certain to lose the next election fair and square even in a world with no voter suppression.

Biden's getting pirmaried hard if he runs again in 2024 because he's not going to do poo poo before the midterms, let alone after them when the GOP retakes both chambers of Congress (and immediately launch an impeachment hearing against him for the 2020 election).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Evil Fluffy posted:

Biden's getting pirmaried hard if he runs again in 2024 because he's not going to do poo poo before the midterms, let alone after them when the GOP retakes both chambers of Congress (and immediately launch an impeachment hearing against him for the 2020 election).

Primarying a sitting president is always a pipe dream. I don't believe it has ever worked in the history of the Republic and on the rare occasions it has even come close it has guaranteed a loss in the general election. Incumbency just has too much inertia behind it.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Primarying a sitting president is always a pipe dream. I don't believe it has ever worked in the history of the Republic and on the rare occasions it has even come close it has guaranteed a loss in the general election. Incumbency just has too much inertia behind it.

I think the larger possibility is that hes physically unable to handle the rigors of a presidential run in 24 - the man is barely cogent as is

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Yuzenn posted:

I think the larger possibility is that hes physically unable to handle the rigors of a presidential run in 24 - the man is barely cogent as is

I mean, four years ago I thought Trump would be an alzheimer's vegetable by now

We always want to tell ourselves these people are just too old to possibly keep going but turns out medical science is pretty advanced these days

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 8, 2021

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean, four years ago I thought Trump would be an alzheimer's vegetable by now

If you inject and consume enough uppers to kill a horse into yourself daily you can prop up most corpses to be honest

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
No offense, but it's a pipe dream to think a sitting president will be primaried.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/JimmyHooverDC/status/1468614917670514691?s=20

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

What happens is a constitutional crisis. Democratic counties could continue to count protected by US marshals, Republican counties might not and the feds would either have to take over or back down and let a coup happen.

But since the Republicans were willing to carry out a coup (with violence if necessary, see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks_Brothers_riot) and Democrats were not willing to resist one, obviously none of that was going to happen.

And now one of the participants in the riot to buy time for the high court to pull off a coup is on the high court herself instead of being jailed and disbarred, thanks Clinton! And special shout out to RBG for saving a seat for her.

The thing is that Democrats are terrified of being the ones to provoke a constitutional crisis by refusing to acknowledge a SCOTUS ruling as illegitimate, so they just go along with whatever insane partisan thing SCOTUS dreams up, because they don't realize that we are already in a constitutional crisis and have been since 2000 when the Supreme Court gave itself the power to appoint the president, no one stopped them, and they have since used that precedent (not the legal precedent set by Bush v Gore, but the political precedent that they can do whatever they want unchallenged) to assert their power to decree laws on any subject at any time regardless of what the executive branch, legislative branch, or constitution say.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Thanos was right in Endgame.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

He is not getting primaried lol, anyone who tries that and isn't just some nobody crackpot like the West Virginia dude who "primaried" Obama will be absolutely curbstomped by the party machine worse than Bernie ever was because you do not run against the coronated choice in an open presidential primary, and you sure as gently caress do not primary an incumbent

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 8, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Crows Turn Off posted:

Thanos was right in Endgame.

There have been actual senile justices and Alito still manages to be the dumbest person to serve on the Court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

There have been actual senile justices and Alito still manages to be the dumbest person to serve on the Court.

Alito is not an idiot. He's just a complete shithead who openly doesn't care about anything but making his person political views into rulings