Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

sebzilla posted:

That's loving rough lc

A gentle reminder that the UKMT Solidarity Fund exists.

I had fair warning that this was coming, so spent 5 years putting a bit away each week which is a "luxury" that very few UC claimants have - to be honest knowing the solidarity fund was there lifted a weight off my mind so it just existing was a huge help.

It's always going to be the people who suddenly find themselves on UC who end up with the most pain, the gap between claiming and money is too high.

Always always apply for old style ESA separately from UC if you have 2 years worth of NI, what messes us up is that he's 19 and didn't so it gets sorted out "within 6 months" rather than 14 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
monbiots long form works are normally better than "please don't talk about the time I was wrong, I'm totally not mad about that, in these tweets I will explain how I'm totally not mad about that 1/27" but I don't think anyone is really immune to the curse/cult of the tick

it's still disappointing to see him punching at a strawman corbynite while yelling that he's justified because someone pointed out he was wrong- It's more galling to have him calling for unity and grace from the left while displaying not even a hint of a thought about why such deep divisions and bitterness exist

but worse than that- at length he has thoroughly investigated and written on the actions of the capitalist machine that feeds on the destruction of the environment- but he consistently fails at applying that thinking in any measure to the political/propaganda systems that facilitate it or his own place within them- like he genuinely thinks if the sensible adults in the room got together things could be turned around, like the whole thing was merely the devious actions of a few malefactors and not a carefully engineered product of a system devoted to turning absolutely everything into capital

and that, imo, is about on the same level of magical thinking that had the fubpeez convinced the queen was gonna cancel brexit because she wore a special hat/brooch combo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think journalists in general just cannot conceive that in a better world they wouldn't exist.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I mean we all know that socials like twitter and fb cause literal brain damage, yet we still don't really think in terms of diminished capacity when we evaluate the actions of posters there.

Which is fair, cause I don't know how you draw a line. Like , Monbiot maybe deserves a break for being way too Online, but Glinner should have all his tweets tattooed onto his one remaining gonad with an SDS drill

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Judge them on harm done. Mobiot's lovely liberal political opinions are probably outweighed heavily by the work he does raising public awareness of biosphere destruction. Glinner however has a couple of series of a beloved 90s sitcom about priests now totally dwarfed by a bunch of terminally divorced posting about who gets to use which toilet.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Judge them on harm done. Mobiot's lovely liberal political opinions are probably outweighed heavily by the work he does raising public awareness of biosphere destruction. Glinner however has a couple of series of a beloved 90s sitcom about priests now totally dwarfed by a bunch of terminally divorced posting about who gets to use which toilet.

Yep, seems fair

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I mean I guess that's a thing I've been doing without consciously thinking about it.

That said though, where do you draw the line? Because somebody like Hadley Freeman clearly does not do as much direct harm as Priti Patel, but nevertheless helps to prop up the establishment which allows Priti Patel to exist as a political force.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/dollyton81/status/1468297021270503435

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ofkm48nv_k

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Right lads.... unpack that guillotine, there's work to be done. :argh:

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
oof, what a video.

I do wonder who recorded it and who leaked it...

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

This is the definition of "caught in 4k"

Countdown til Labour absolutely squander this open goal

deano
Sep 6, 2000

NotJustANumber99 posted:

He's admitted to making a mistake though?

Like buying a Tesla?

Oops wrong thread

deano fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 7, 2021

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Kernel Monsoon posted:

I welcome the Prime Minister's party, but would call on him to go further and invite me next time too

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Is Allegra Stratton a bit tipsy in that clip? Looks like it to me. My mum gets like that after a packet of wine gums.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Kernel Monsoon posted:

"I think it was very wrong for the prime minister to offer cheese and pineapple on a stick, but do think individual bowls of cocktail sausages would have been appropriate in that situation"

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
There must be a massive amount of chicken playing out in the heads of dozens of downing street dipshits right now... who's going to break first? Who will admit they were at the party? Will it be someone who left early and will lamentedly admit that they couldn't stomach it, so they're the good one, blowing the whistle? These people are weak minded and they know they can't trust each other, there's no way no-one will spill the beans, especially if it means they get to put their spin on it first.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Marmaduke! posted:

There must be a massive amount of chicken playing out in the heads of dozens of downing street dipshits right now... who's going to break first? Who will admit they were at the party? Will it be someone who left early and will lamentedly admit that they couldn't stomach it, so they're the good one, blowing the whistle? These people are weak minded and they know they can't trust each other, there's no way no-one will spill the beans, especially if it means they get to put their spin on it first.

It's the Prisoner's Dilemma, but with real consequences, none of that life-or-death nonsense.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

DesperateDan posted:

"I think it was very wrong for the prime minister to offer cheese and pineapple on a stick, but do think individual bowls of cocktail sausages would have been appropriate in that situation"

"I've been to Downing Street Christmas parties, of course. We all have. They're dreadful."

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Marmaduke! posted:

Gove or Raab will be the first big name imo. They'll want to position themselves away from whatever is coming for Boris.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

andyf posted:

Thanks!

Came over to the walk-in centre. unfortunately they wouldn’t let me in. last jab was 26th June so they said i can come back from next Monday, so i’ll try an early morning visit then. They were nice about it, explained they were waiting on being authorised to drop to three months, but unfortunately can’t admit me today.

Yeah I went to my nearest walk-in place today as well. Nice lady at door explained that at the moment they're doing 6-months-later only, can't do shorter time. She did say something like "we have no doctor on duty therefore can't do it", not sure if I understood that correctly though. But, need to wait for an unknown amount of time before they're authorised to do 3-months-laters.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Convex posted:

"I've been to Downing Street Christmas parties, of course. We all have. They're dreadful."

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

“I applaud the Prime Minister’s stance but I think he should have gone further. It should have been a full on rave with the best of British talent EDM DJs and high quality MDMA rather than sausage rolls”

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Kernel Monsoon posted:

I agree with the Prime Minister that we need to catch the whistle blower as soon as possible.
And we support any new proposals for all news to be vetted by the government before it is allowed to be broadcast.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Imagine being the sort of prick who has access to that video and just sitting on it for a year.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

"Yes, it's true, I was at the Downing Street Christmas party, but I can confirm I maintained social distancing at all times since I spent most of the evening in the loos racking up bloody massive lines of taxpayer-funded coke"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jaete posted:

Yeah I went to my nearest walk-in place today as well. Nice lady at door explained that at the moment they're doing 6-months-later only, can't do shorter time. She did say something like "we have no doctor on duty therefore can't do it", not sure if I understood that correctly though. But, need to wait for an unknown amount of time before they're authorised to do 3-months-laters.

For obvious logistical reasons vaccines are normally effectively OTC drugs that can only be dispensed within very tight guidelines. A doctor can write you a prescription for the booster in the same way they could write you a prescription for more than 2 packs of paracetamol (a terrible comparison I know but I've been wrapping presents all day which is somehow more mentally draining than anything I've done in months).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Imagine being the sort of prick who has access to that video and just sitting on it for a year.

There are half a dozen journos in there who are all in on the joke and none of them thought to say anything until now, possibly because they were there.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There are half a dozen journos in there who are all in on the joke and none of them thought to say anything until now, possibly because they were there.

Arent they just the little politics plebs pretending to be journalists for a test run of the press conference? Exactly the people who i suspect were at the party, noone interesting like gove or whatever. I say interesting...

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The people in the video are all government staffers, this was a rehearsal so they were chucking questions at Allegory Stratford that she might get asked the next day.

Some disgruntled video tech has had this video for a year. Probably has more.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the only reason this is coming out now is because the Tories are trying to chuck Boris before he becomes even more of a liability

otherwise it would have been memory-holed permanently

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

serious gaylord posted:

Some disgruntled video tech has had this video for a year. Probably has more.

Like the Hancock CCTV footage?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MarinaPurkiss/status/1468304337097142274

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Politically now is the optimal best time to release it.
You have the fear Boris will announce a second Christmas lockdown for months before, them umm-ing and ah-ing about Omicron restrictions,
this is the perfect time to release it.

I suspect this is a politician and not technican that did this.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Thats from now.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Ah well, nevertheless

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Imagine being the sort of prick who laughs at Jacob Rees-Mogg making a joke about the imperial system of measurement

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gambrinus posted:

I've been on here, Gwl@d (Welsh rugby site for deviants), and onetouchfootball for over 20 years now.

They are all far better than Twitter.

Although if I was in charge I would like to see an end to contextless linking to Twitter posts.

Why would you do that to yourself?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Thats from now.

Yeah that's the point though, him and all his dead-eyed chums just loving yucking it up knowing that nothing will happen about the fact him and all his oval office mates got together while people were dying literally in their thousands, alone, their families at best allowed to watch them gasp their last over a video call, alone apart from a nurse on a 12 hour shift who might have found time to touch them on the hand or something just in case they could feel it, before going on to the next poor fucker.

You know that line about your hate being pure? I'm feeling it again now, in a way I haven't in a while. It's a joke to them, they know that nothing bad will ever, ever happen to them, that there are no consequences for them, that the rules only apply to the little people who were stupid enough not to have rich parents who could send them to the right schools. That braying you hear there? That's them laughing at *you*, and everyone you know and love, and everyone who has to follow the rules. I'm gonna stop now before I say something that brings the attention of the mods - or the police - because of course the rules apply to me. I can't even joke about what this makes me feel like doing, but they can airily dismiss the deaths of tens of thousands of people.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You know that line about your hate being pure? I'm feeling it again now, in a way I haven't in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Well, I swore out loud when I saw that video. I don't know how they continue to out-oval office themselves so consistently, but here we are. When will people loving learn