Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

looks like there are significant revisions to the ballistics coming in 12.12, mostly affecting longer distances by not having bullets arc as much before hitting the zero (and with a corresponding reduction to the degree to which they drop after it)

https://twitter.com/bstategames/status/1465686840997036037?s=20

but also, per Pestily's conversation with Nikita, damage and pen are going to start dropping off notably with range now (which is supposedly indicated by the color gradient of the new arcs)

LGD fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
As much as I'll miss all my short M4s I hope they tie speed and damage to barrel length so there's a reason to go long at the expense of ergonomics. Recoil isn't really that much worse.

e: fixed atrocious typos

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 2, 2021

Super86
Apr 20, 2016

Shumagorath posted:

As much as I'll miss all my short M4s I hope they tie speed and damage to barrel length so there's a reason to go long and the expense of ergonormics. Recoil isn't really that much worse.

It's still surprising to me that in a game based around realism, this is not the case already.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Super86 posted:

It's still surprising to me that in a game based around realism, this is not the case already.

Tarkov is realistic insofar as the devs care to make it so.

Which is to say you can put a lot of attachments on guns. That's about it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I know nothing about programing so what I am about to say is coming out of pure ignorance.

I can only imagine that it is a pain in the rear end to program the way bullets realistically behave. There are so many variables (weather and barrel length just to name two) and so many places that would need to be uniquely customized that it just opens the door wide open for tiny mistakes.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Doing projectile physics, especially in a multiplayer setting, is an absolutely gigantic pain in the rear end.

This pain would be considerably lessened however if Tarkov hadn't made several other choices, like modeling the actual internal physics of firearms (no one on earth does this except niche indie bullshit like Receiver and even then they cheat) and modeling the player character as a full physics object instead of just the usual collision planes and hitboxes.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Orv posted:

Doing projectile physics, especially in a multiplayer setting, is an absolutely gigantic pain in the rear end.

This pain would be considerably lessened however if Tarkov hadn't made several other choices, like modeling the actual internal physics of firearms (no one on earth does this except niche indie bullshit like Receiver and even then they cheat) and modeling the player character as a full physics object instead of just the usual collision planes and hitboxes.

Iirc they also don't use view models, all animations visible from third person are what you see as first person.

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio

Seems like they just announced 12.12's release (hah).

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
They are adding a revolver shotgun to the game.

Bad news? It uses the Toz ammo.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I skipped this last wipe because I was getting ready to move across my state when it started so I'm happy we're about to start a new one.

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio
I only just registered the subtitle in the thread ... the rascal responsible for that reference has caused me great pains from laughing; it's easily the best description of Tarkov I've ever read.

And on that, O how I cannot wait for inertia to tone down the run-and-gun behaviour that's been killing that vibe in EFT. Not sure what to expect of VOIP (though it almost makes me want to find a voice modulator to sound less female), but I guess we'll see. My friends that play DayZ seem to swear by the experiences they have on account of it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Maenad posted:

I only just registered the subtitle in the thread ... the rascal responsible for that reference has caused me great pains from laughing; it's easily the best description of Tarkov I've ever read.

And on that, O how I cannot wait for inertia to tone down the run-and-gun behaviour that's been killing that vibe in EFT. Not sure what to expect of VOIP (though it almost makes me want to find a voice modulator to sound less female), but I guess we'll see. My friends that play DayZ seem to swear by the experiences they have on account of it.

VOIP won't bring anything good. This isn't DayZ, the game as it exists (as opposed to how it exists in Nikita's head) is strictly a PVP/PVE shooter. Even in DayZ where the game was meant to be more sandboxy it takes custom servers with enforced rules to prevent kill on sight being the norm, because the risk of someone not cooperating back is too great to take the chance of approaching them. Tarkov is like DayZ in terms of shooting mechanics but the similarities end there, EFT doesn't have a reason to cooperate with other players full stop, you gain effectively nothing by cooperating and risk everything by doing so. VOIP will only be used to swear and blast hardbass.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

I can imagine situations where you're telling at the guy above you on 3 story, which while not materially useful really heightens the experience.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If VoIP is lazily implemented like many other (including AAA) games then expect to get DDoS'ed if you can't disable it.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
At least with the new improved load times I might actually be able to play the game on the first couple days of the wipe.

The first week of this wipe was basically wait 15 minutes to join then lose connection then start looking again ... wait another 10 minutes.... then eventually just give up.

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

aniviron posted:

VOIP won't bring anything good. This isn't DayZ, the game as it exists (as opposed to how it exists in Nikita's head) is strictly a PVP/PVE shooter. Even in DayZ where the game was meant to be more sandboxy it takes custom servers with enforced rules to prevent kill on sight being the norm, because the risk of someone not cooperating back is too great to take the chance of approaching them. Tarkov is like DayZ in terms of shooting mechanics but the similarities end there, EFT doesn't have a reason to cooperate with other players full stop, you gain effectively nothing by cooperating and risk everything by doing so. VOIP will only be used to swear and blast hardbass.

I disagree with this. There is potential for it to be a poo poo show, sure. I'm expecting VOIP to be a little bit like scav karma in that if you find another PMC you can ask what quest they're on - and if it's a "place item" or "go to area" type quest it'll be possible to negotiate to team up *if* you're also on something similar. I think if people are smart they can work out how to get around without killing each other.

There will be situations where people are on quests to kill PMCs and then it'll get rough, and you'll still have people that'll kill you the moment you have your back turned but I'm thinking more people will be cooperative when they realise it minimizes the risk of gear loss.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

aniviron posted:

and blast hardbass.

sure why not, makes them easier to find :shrug:

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio
VoIP makes more sense in terms of the whole open world thing, which BSG still says is on the way, than the current matchmaking situation which was originally only intended for testing.

I try to take Nikita and co. saying "none of us have played Escape from Tarkov" on account of the number of features still to be implemented, and how different it will be with inertia, the animation rework and first-aid/unconscious states, armour hitboxes, armour plates, the MOLLE system, PMC karma, Russian regulars and UNTAR, in-game traders, 'loot exfils/drops', batteries, mines, weapon internals, more malfunctions, new gun types, and an open world. (Nevermind having an actual economy, instead of the current flood of equipment we're given because it enables testing. They could obviously bail on a lot of this, but 12.12 is already looking huge.

Maenad fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 4, 2021

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If even half of that manages to load without crashing Unity I'll be amazed. Just start by giving me real positional sound, please :jihad:

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio
I don't disagree, though they've already done an impressive job pushing unity beyond anything else I've seen (and they did say the Unity upgrade was important for realising a lot of this stuff).

It's not that I don't think it sounds a bit fantastical, but I do appreciate that they've been pretty committed to realising something unique and different; and even with the realities of game development, they're doing a decent job and adding a lot after an industry-wide Covid-lull.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

aniviron posted:

VOIP won't bring anything good.

Wrong. Now you can unload a backpack of candy bars and sodas to that convenience store shack by the Customs bridge and roleplay as a Russian bodega owner.

Have your friend with a sniper rifle on Hill 1 across the street in case someone doesn't pay.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
VOIP will allow us to create a soundboard with samples of the nades bouncing/reloading/running/dying sounds and that will be awesome

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

VOIP will allow us to create a soundboard with samples of the nades bouncing/reloading/running/dying sounds and that will be awesome

Also all the different boss yells! It's going to be hilarious

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Late-wipe Interchange: Killa Is Me

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

does anyone actually auth on the discord anymore

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

pissinthewind posted:

does anyone actually auth on the discord anymore

Everyone who posts there has authed

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

pre-wipe event is going down now, so a 12/12 wipe looking extremely likely

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

They already explicitly confirmed wipe for 12/12

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

I think VoIP doesn't make sense till there is incentive to work with other PMCs. It would be nice if group VoIP was an option making teaming with randos easier.

If VoIP let's scavs coordinate, that would be kinda rad. Some kind of incentive to help each other would have to be in place, or kill on site is going to be the standard.

I think the reality is the Player base would use it to annoy each other more than being helpful.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Sneaky Wombat posted:

I think VoIP doesn't make sense till there is incentive to work with other PMCs. It would be nice if group VoIP was an option making teaming with randos easier.

If VoIP let's scavs coordinate, that would be kinda rad. Some kind of incentive to help each other would have to be in place, or kill on site is going to be the standard.

I think the reality is the Player base would use it to annoy each other more than being helpful.

prepare your rear end and face to hardbass

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Sneaky Wombat posted:

Well, the "bring PMC and a Scav" exits will be easier to coordinate and those give you high level loot for using them now.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

TheTofuShop posted:

They already explicitly confirmed wipe for 12/12

Where did they explicitly confirm this? My friends are still convinced it's this Thursday solely because its always been Thursday.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

sinburger posted:

Where did they explicitly confirm this? My friends are still convinced it's this Thursday solely because its always been Thursday.

BSG never 100% said it was but they commented on a picture of text saying "12.12" and said "you already know the date"

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

hello internet posted:

BSG never 100% said it was but they commented on a picture of text saying "12.12" and said "you already know the date"

Yea, my friends response was "We already know it's Thursday the 9th."

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

sinburger posted:

Yea, my friends response was "We already know it's Thursday the 9th."

Well I guess your friend will either be disappointed or everyone will be thrilled with the early drop.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
I thought I saw an official post saying patch notes on the 9th and release on the 12th but I can’t find it anymore. Either way, I’m pretty sure something from BSG is coming our way on Thursday. Maybe I dreamed it up though

E: there’s this thing

https://twitter.com/bstategames/status/1468270609280942080?s=21

TJChap2840 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 8, 2021

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
After getting thumped by Tagilla in dozens of offline practise raids, today I caught him shopping :jihad:

I really can't think of a better way to close out this season.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

The Clap posted:

Looks like it's pretty easy to kill people when they don't have the capability to shoot back, aim at you or engage you in any way. Weird loving loser.

I haven't looked at the Tarkov thread for like a year and this motherfucker is still lag switching people and posting about it triumphantly? Incredible.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Theotus posted:

I haven't looked at the Tarkov thread for like a year and this motherfucker is still lag switching people and posting about it triumphantly? Incredible.

No, in fact the video is a year old. But he is still posting about it triumphantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
12.12 trailer premiers in like 2 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYYlvMn3khE