Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
The wiki is bad at explaining it. But I'm fairly sure that when you get +10% Trade Value modifier for each merchant steering in the direction of your home node. You lose that if you collect anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
it's trade power, not trade value. unless it's both. but im pretty confident it's just trade power

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

You are right, it's trade power.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Rynoto posted:

I ended up with so much Dip Rep, +10 at one point, that I was able to ally every elector in Anbennar at once and destroy the empire in a simple war before the leagues started. The player should never be given so much dip rep.

Did you go hard on dip rep in your ideas? Diplo and particularly Influence ideas synergize well with them, I know.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Quorum posted:

Did you go hard on dip rep in your ideas? Diplo and particularly Influence ideas synergize well with them, I know.

Diplo-Admin-Influence opener with Corinite religion.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

how long does the malus for occupying rome last?

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Stairmaster posted:

how long does the malus for occupying rome last?

Till you're not catholic or I think by forming Italy.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wtf im protestant now??????

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
religion has nothing to do with it, you have to be Italy
https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Triggered_modifiers#The_Occupation_of_Rome

Although if youre not catholic then the negative papal influence doesnt really matter eh?
-1 diplo rep is trivial

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mr. Grinch posted:

religion has nothing to do with it, you have to be Italy
https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Triggered_modifiers#The_Occupation_of_Rome

Although if youre not catholic then the negative papal influence doesnt really matter eh?
-1 diplo rep is trivial

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
does "Visibility" not just refer to whether or not the triggered modifier is listed in the Triggered Modifiers button on the UI?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you're non-catholic christian or any muslim (maybe jewish post-newest-patch? if not should be :colbert:) conquest of Rome should be a flat buff. That's what it has been anyway. Extra missionary and then another small thing, like legitimacy or prestige or some poo poo.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
(e: referring to Mr. Grinch's post here) If that was how it worked, then if you were non-Catholic and owned Rome, you'd have an invisible -1 diplo rep. Anyway, "visibility" here refers to the potential block in the code:
code:
potential = {
		normal_or_historical_nations = yes
		has_discovered = 118	# Roma
		religion = catholic
		NOT = { tag = PAP }
}
Also you don't get the malus if the Papal states are your subject (e2: you get another penalty instead, for minus two diplo rep. So uh, never mind). Holy Roman Empire and Roman Empire tags also don't get the penalty, but Italy can form those anyway.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 7, 2021

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Is Administrative Power really hard to come by or am I making more newbie mistakes? It seems like if I want to conquer anything at all, I need all my admin power for coring my conquests, and the costs run to the hundreds, leaving me perpetually behind in admin technologies, which are the most important ones because they unlock Ideas (and God help me if I take an idea that also wants admin power). I don't get this sense of being pulled in three directions at once with Diplomatic or Military Power.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s true that not all three monarch points are created equal. But you can lighten the load on your admin points by occasionally vassalizing instead of conquering directly

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

CapnAndy posted:

Is Administrative Power really hard to come by or am I making more newbie mistakes? It seems like if I want to conquer anything at all, I need all my admin power for coring my conquests, and the costs run to the hundreds, leaving me perpetually behind in admin technologies, which are the most important ones because they unlock Ideas (and God help me if I take an idea that also wants admin power). I don't get this sense of being pulled in three directions at once with Diplomatic or Military Power.

Admin power is the most important, closely followed by military while diplo lags behind. The admin cost of coring will decrease as the game goes on, but at the start the cost is very high and diplomatic annexations are desirable just because they let you build up some admin power for a change.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

One of the DLCs lets you set a "focus" on one monarch point category which makes you earn +2 of that mp, but 1 less of the other two. You can also use the "vassal feeding" strategy where you give land to your vassl in the peace deal (ideally it's cores of theirs already for reduced AE) and then diplo annex them.

Other things: Admin ideas give -25% ccr really early in the group, you get admin efficiency and absolutism (which gives more admin efficiency) later on which reduces ae and coring costs.

fe: also claims reduce coring costs by 10% i think?

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Temporary claims are 10% and permanent claims are 25% cost reduction (and they also reduce the time to core by a similar amount), so if you have a mission to give you claims you should always fulfill it before coring.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Just focus admin at the start and leave it there unless you have a reason not to. If you have too much admin, simply Conquer More Land

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I tend to focus Military until I can change it to Admin after X years. Getting miltech 4 before your neighbours is very important.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Worth pointing out that one of the reasons dip and influence are so good is that dip points barely matter. Except in meta MP, where devving production and naval strength are way more important, but I assume RPish EU4 play is like 99.9% of games.

Some streamers I watch do "competitive" MP and good god is it boring. Identical blobs with identical stacks and identical idea choices playing the world's worst Age of Empires.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

RPing is part of the mechanics because you have to anticipate AI behaviour, and AI doesn't play to WC or to spoil your plans specifically, while humans do. The comparison to AoE is right though, MP games are generally zero sum the winner takes it all affair. One of the reasons Paradox games are so enjoyable they escape that usual trap of empire building games. The only 4X that does this too is probably Distant Worlds, also Old World. Maybe Total Wars nowadays are like that too cause they don't ask you to conquer 51% of the world anymore.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've yet to do a World Conquest, it's more fun just playing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I genuinely enjoy AoE, although I suck at it. And I have done a WC. It wasn't really fun. It's like the satisfaction you get out of mowing a lawn or cooking a difficult dish, except no one cares and all you have is a save file of a bad globe map painted one colour.

Doing achievements is fun and I have an ironman mod playset for it, but most of my games are in my "historical mods" playset where I usually roll random nation, and do dumb poo poo like make idea choices, war decs, peace deals, etc based on my current ruler's stats and personality. There have been really fun games where I start as a poo poo country with a useless rear end ruler and die before 1450. Then, just, roll again. Playing in cheevo mod I would never, ever see a game over screen in EU4.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 8, 2021

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I keep attempting one, but I really shouldn't. It gives me anxiety, and trouble falling asleep at night. There are so many moves and things that has to happen just perfectly, and I keep myself awake mulling over every possibility.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Never do a WC that isn't HRE exploits.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Never do a WC that isn't HRE exploits.

That's what I'm trying right now! And even then, things tend to turn grim.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I haven't rolled for cheevos in a while, Anbennar sucked me in.

I also got a whole bunch of new games to play lol.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's not about actually doing it, it's about knowing it's an achievable end goal. Even if you play for a specific achievement you build a world conquering machine while AI "roleplays" instead of optimizing for world domination. AI is predictable in an interesting way and a lot of the mechanics (like, say, vassal interactions) would lose a lot of meaning if AI was trying yo play like a human.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Civ5-6 probably has the most uninteresting AI I've ever seen in a strategy game. It's so extremely predictable in how much it wants you, the player, to lose. As long as one AI wins, it's satisfied.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

THE BAR posted:

Civ5-6 probably has the most uninteresting AI I've ever seen in a strategy game. It's so extremely predictable in how much it wants you, the player, to lose. As long as one AI wins, it's satisfied.

Civ 3 did this too, also not fun

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Civ 4 was the best Civ game, I agree. They actually tamed ICS to a good extent in a satisfying way. Plus the diplo was way better of course. And the leader personalities made a lot of sense. Not sharing a faith with Isabella? Prepare for war.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Bulwar seems to be consolidating really fast in my Anbennar games, let me try a game over there and see whats going on. Get to the 2nd crisis and.... Oh thats why.

You can force war on any other sun cult country with a lower AE CB and none of their allies can join. And it ignores the truce time LOL

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Bulwar is a massive thunderdome. It's great. Especially if you play with Great Conquerors on and one of them gets picked.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Torrannor posted:

Civ 4 was the best Civ game, I agree. They actually tamed ICS to a good extent in a satisfying way. Plus the diplo was way better of course. And the leader personalities made a lot of sense. Not sharing a faith with Isabella? Prepare for war.

BUT STACKS :byodood:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Civ and most other 4X games are usually upfront about it all being about winning the game. I dislike Civ6 for trying tohet away from it, not from reinforcing it. AIs no longer differ by preferred strategy but rather by what game are you playing. They don't care if you win the game, they care if you, say, have a big fleet or a lot of lumberyards. On a big enough map you're bound to piss off someone but it's a system for a roleplaying empire building game, not a boardgame. Old World is a great game that subverts this system in a variety of ways and makes personalities work.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I completely forgot that Harald, who builds ships to defeat other players by naval warfare, gets angry when you don't build ships to defend yourself from said tactic.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

My favourite one is Georgian queen. Like build walls, dude. I'm fine with you winning by culturally dominating the world because drat these walls.

And to be fair that thing with Vikings makes some sense. The game makes Harard want to attack people who don't have a fleet because then he can do his Viking thing. But it's framed in a strange way.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 9, 2021

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Ah, I can see that. But the AI also condemns you for still being alive, giving it an excuse to attack you anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm firmly of the opinion that the best Civ game is still Alpha Centauri. Despite the fact that it's two decades old, the second half of the tech tree narrows to a point, and the AI having no loving clue how to play it, it still manages to be better than all the Civ games that came after it.