Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

whos that broooown posted:

they should've had the foresight to be back of house when they had the seizure tbh.

much easier to work around

What are you talking about obviously you have to have seizures on your own time. Owner doesn't have time for your medical bullshit.

edit: I made myself sad...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Mithross posted:

What are you talking about obviously you have to have seizures on your own time. Owner doesn't have time for your medical bullshit.

edit: I made myself sad...

Of course that's the ideal situation, but sometimes the severe dehydration happens in the middle of a shift.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Christ on a Triscuit, that was painful to read, Skwirl.

I popped by my former store on Wednesday since I was delivering some of my husband's apple butter. My boss was there, standing on the line cracking eggs. After 90% of the kitchen/FOH ran over to glomp me and plead "are you coming back?! When are you coming back?!" (ngl, that felt good), the boss waves me over.

"So what are they paying you at [my new job]?"

"$10.50" (I was making 10 at restaurant)

"Give you $12 if you come back..."

Hmmm, $12 to get constantly cut --- the store just announced on FB that they're closing 2 days/week bc surprise, they have insufficient staff --- or $10.50 to get a solid 32-40 hrs, lunch breaks, PTO, and not come home crying all the time. Tough call!

I smiled and said "I'll consider that" and then cackled like an idiot the whole way home.

This is wild to me. Where are you? In Austin and Denver, the market has figured out that they need to pay. There's not a single place I have seen advertising a lower starting for line cooks than $18, usually with tip share that puts it at $23-$25.

Hell, McD's starts at $17 here in Denver.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Probably bias but I'm hearing it's all over 20$ now in jobs that used to be $15/hour 18months ago. California gonna Cali but in n out here starts at $21 now

Just looked at in n outs website you can make patties in their processing plant for $26 with full medical dental and 401k

droll fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 28, 2021

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

droll posted:

Probably bias but I'm hearing it's all over 20$ now in jobs that used to be $15/hour 18months ago. California gonna Cali but in n out here starts at $21 now

Florida has managed to not raise wages in food service at all by and large. We just put up a hand drawn "nobody wnats 2 wurk" sign and call it a day

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Florida continues to be the greatest of the American states

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Christ on a Triscuit, that was painful to read, Skwirl.

I popped by my former store on Wednesday since I was delivering some of my husband's apple butter. My boss was there, standing on the line cracking eggs. After 90% of the kitchen/FOH ran over to glomp me and plead "are you coming back?! When are you coming back?!" (ngl, that felt good), the boss waves me over.

"So what are they paying you at [my new job]?"

"$10.50" (I was making 10 at restaurant)

"Give you $12 if you come back..."

Hmmm, $12 to get constantly cut --- the store just announced on FB that they're closing 2 days/week bc surprise, they have insufficient staff --- or $10.50 to get a solid 32-40 hrs, lunch breaks, PTO, and not come home crying all the time. Tough call!

I smiled and said "I'll consider that" and then cackled like an idiot the whole way home.

I saw a post on twitter (it was for retail poo poo, so I didn't think to post it here, I'll see if I can find it) where they were going to interviews for jobs where the ad says "$18 and hour" and then the interview would go well enough they got offered a job, but were told it was at $11 an hour. They were specific that it wasn't ads saying "$11-$18 an hour" ads were saying "Starting at $18 an hour."

The General
Mar 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1463623694522236929

https://twitter.com/Loganchance/status/1463730829402595329

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I hadn’t heard about any bait & switch bullshit like that, but I do see banners at like every fast food place I pass with “starting at $18/hr!” and I get that cost of living is a thing, but it’s mind boggling when I hear about other states where people are still cooking at min. wage or thereabouts.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hauki posted:

I hadn’t heard about any bait & switch bullshit like that, but I do see banners at like every fast food place I pass with “starting at up to $18/hr!” and I get that cost of living is a thing, but it’s mind boggling when I hear about other states where people are still cooking at min. wage or thereabouts.

I fixed that for you.

Also, at least in Wisconsin, or you could for a while, you could turn down an offer and keep unemployment. You would get contacted about why, and if you explained they lied about the pay, you'd likely keep it.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Hauki posted:

I hadn’t heard about any bait & switch bullshit like that, but I do see banners at like every fast food place I pass with “starting at $18/hr!” and I get that cost of living is a thing, but it’s mind boggling when I hear about other states where people are still cooking at min. wage or thereabouts.

A local place was advertising $18 per hour and were getting lots of positive attention and praise on our local facebook groups as the chains are still paying min wage. Turns out that it's actually min wage + pooled tip sharing estimated to work out to $18 per hour, but that wasn't mentioned anywhere in the ad.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I always assumed the CYA lie for these places was "well, managers might start at 18, but dishwashers? Lol". They never say what positions on those banners/marquees.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I know there's a thread for retail slaves that I need to find, but for now, I just gotta vent my spleen. And I know it's something y'all deal with as well, lord knows I did during my tour of duty in the industry.

People that come in at the last minute before close. Yes, we all know they suck, and hate them. But it just hit me today that the WORST are the ones who say (usually with a fake apologetic smile):

"I know you're closing, but..."

Oh, so you KNOW* we're closing in two minutes. You have just acknowledged that we all want to get the gently caress out of here. You're giving your fake rear end smile and weak rear end "apology", as if that's gonna assuage the pain in my back/feet/knees, and my deep hatred for humanity after working here all weekend. You could come back when we open tomorrow at 9am, but I guess you need that coffee table that costs more than the Blue Book value of my car right now.

The ones that say "I know you're closing" are the loving worst. They're essentially saying "I am cognizant of the fact that you have a life and want to go home. But my wants outweigh yours. Now serve me."

...whew. Thanks guys. Now I can get high and relax.

*edit: To put a more positive end to this, once in a blue moon I get the customers who legit had no idea we were about to close, and say "Oh, sorry! Are you open tomorrow? We'll come back!" and those people, I wish I could sneak them a 10% off coupon, just for being decent human beings. They do exist.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 6, 2021

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I know you’re closing but actually you should be grateful for the weekend double time overtime but no need to thank me. I’m salaried and don’t get overtime for my 28 hours of office work and YouTube watching.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

I know there's a thread for retail slaves that I need to find, but for now, I just gotta vent my spleen. And I know it's something y'all deal with as well, lord knows I did during my tour of duty in the industry.

People that come in at the last minute before close. Yes, we all know they suck, and hate them. But it just hit me today that the WORST are the ones who say (usually with a fake apologetic smile):

"I know you're closing, but..."

Oh, so you KNOW* we're closing in two minutes. You have just acknowledged that we all want to get the gently caress out of here. You're giving your fake rear end smile and weak rear end "apology", as if that's gonna assuage the pain in my back/feet/knees, and my deep hatred for humanity after working here all weekend. You could come back when we open tomorrow at 9am, but I guess you need that coffee table that costs more than the Blue Book value of my car right now.

The ones that say "I know you're closing" are the loving worst. They're essentially saying "I am cognizant of the fact that you have a life and want to go home. But my wants outweigh yours. Now serve me."

...whew. Thanks guys. Now I can get high and relax.

*edit: To put a more positive end to this, once in a blue moon I get the customers who legit had no idea we were about to close, and say "Oh, sorry! Are you open tomorrow? We'll come back!" and those people, I wish I could sneak them a 10% off coupon, just for being decent human beings. They do exist.

We had a couple come in a few months ago asking if we were still open.

"Yes, but the kitchen is closing in about 5 minutes. "

"Oh, we get it! We used to work in the industry, too!"

And then they still sit down and order food. What the gently caress?!

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
I get it when it's a necessary thing ("Sorry, I just really need some cough syrup, I'll be in and out in 2 minutes, thanks!") or like, you're somewhere you don't know and it's the only restaurant you could find. But who just *has* to go high end furniture shopping five minutes before the store closes? What the gently caress?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Naelyan posted:

But who just *has* to go high end furniture shopping five minutes before the store closes? What the gently caress?

The type of people who go shopping for high end furniture

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
If I'm gonna order less than 15 minutes before the kitchen closes, I'm going to order a poutine and a Dr Pepper and tip 25%, osti

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

whos that broooown posted:

We had a couple come in a few months ago asking if we were still open.

"Yes, but the kitchen is closing in about 5 minutes. "

"Oh, we get it! We used to work in the industry, too!"

And then they still sit down and order food. What the gently caress?!

The fact that you're still posting and not in prison for beating a couple to death with a 12" cast iron pan is a testament to your saintliness.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The type of people who go shopping for high end furniture

Yeah, that's about right. They're also the ones most likely to make me call a consignor to see if they can get a better deal. So I have to dig up the consignor's number, call/text them, and wait for a response after we're now actually closed. Because Karen McDuck wants that $900 coffee table for $850 (this was what actually happened, when I posted that rant last night).

They're pretty much the rich-but-total-cheapskates who will buy the most expensive wine y'all have, but completely stiff you on the tip. You can escape the industry, but you can't escape the assholes. :shrug:

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

To save some people the effort, here is the retail thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3323091

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Orvin posted:

To save some people the effort, here is the retail thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3323091

There's also the "Dumb poo poo your work does" thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3957387

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Thanks guys, I'll save my retail whinging for over there.

In happier(?) news, I dreamt last night that I was at a bar, got the check, and realized I couldn't cover it. I started panicking, until the fella next to me said "don't worry, I've got you." I look over and it's Tony Bourdain. He gave me a hug and bought me another drink.

Thanks for the Manhattan, Ghost Tony.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm never sure if fast food people should be posting here or in the retail thread

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

YggiDee posted:

I'm never sure if fast food people should be posting here or in the retail thread

I think either would be fine, If they have a position where they're mostly prepping food this one would probably be more appropriate, or at least more similar to the experiences of the other cooks in this thread, whereas if they're mostly cashiering I think that's closer what retail workers experience compared to restaurant FOH, but either one there's gonna be overlap in experience.

Edit: like JD's experience at the furniture store is instantly relatable to everyone here who's worked closing shifts at restaurant.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Next time just tell them "Sorry we've already cleaned the grill but I can drop something in the fryer for you" even though you sell furniture.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Republicans posted:

Next time just tell them "Sorry we've already cleaned the grill but I can drop something in the fryer for you" even though you sell furniture.

lol

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Question for y'all - I am not industry, but my sister was until March 2020 (covid, her bar/theater closed up), and then she tripped and broke her neck in October. She's 70% recovered now, but she was 20 years a line cook, generally at higher end Indy bars. Going through disability hoops now, because without arm strength and the ability to stand for 8-12 hours, she doesn't stand too much chance being able get and do the job, as I understand it.

Other than management, are there any good related field jobs I might point her to? She's 'allergic to drama' and has no interest in management. I know she's done ordering for a fair amount of her gigs, particularly when working under uninterested or alcoholic chefs who don't do much. Some menu design, and is big on food safety.

She's smart, but just has a HS degree, 45 years old, doesn't drive, covered in tats, and not likely to survive long in any sort of office gig. (Without telling someone to gently caress off and die) I'm helping her out with cash, but living off disability sucks, and she knows a lot about kitchens... Was thinking catering, but seems like that might be hard to do without a lot of up front capital. Would love some ideas.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Arkhamina posted:

Question for y'all - I am not industry, but my sister was until March 2020 (covid, her bar/theater closed up), and then she tripped and broke her neck in October. She's 70% recovered now, but she was 20 years a line cook, generally at higher end Indy bars. Going through disability hoops now, because without arm strength and the ability to stand for 8-12 hours, she doesn't stand too much chance being able get and do the job, as I understand it.

Other than management, are there any good related field jobs I might point her to? She's 'allergic to drama' and has no interest in management. I know she's done ordering for a fair amount of her gigs, particularly when working under uninterested or alcoholic chefs who don't do much. Some menu design, and is big on food safety.

She's smart, but just has a HS degree, 45 years old, doesn't drive, covered in tats, and not likely to survive long in any sort of office gig. (Without telling someone to gently caress off and die) I'm helping her out with cash, but living off disability sucks, and she knows a lot about kitchens... Was thinking catering, but seems like that might be hard to do without a lot of up front capital. Would love some ideas.

If she could drive, working as a distributer would maybe be a good fit. Bartender at a dive bar if there was a barback to change kegs? Post Office will hire pretty much anyone without a criminal record, a lot of those jobs are physically intensive, but some aren't, so if you look at listings closely for the less physical jobs that's another possibility, and you get really good benefits if her health issues get worse.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Working at a distributor? I imagine that lots of the restaurant-adjacent companies are full of ex-industry folks.

Edit: I was thinking like inside sales.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Inside sales at a distributor or something along those lines is my best idea as well, whether it's food or alcohol. Alternatively, if she's big into food safety, maybe become a ServSafe instructor? No idea how much that pays, I'd think it's more of a second job/supplementary income type thing rather than full time.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Look into grocery, specifically somewhere like Whole Foods

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Look into grocery, specifically somewhere like Whole Foods

I think most grocery stores have an "able to lift 50 pounds" requirement

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Arkhamina posted:

If she’s good at talking to other kitchen people, account rep for a food distributor sounds perfect imo. Can make good money if she likes to hustle.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
In a similar vein to people who sit down and order food while you're trying to close the kitchen, I just absolutely loooove the lingerers. IDK how it is in other provinces/states but here in Ontario we have a 2AM hard last call, and all drinks have to be cleared by 2:45. Inevitably you have someone who orders a pint or two right at last call, and barely touches it. Usually you end up standing there looking annoyed while they awkwardly try to chug an entire drink.

At the arcade we're sort of fortunate in that if we're busy enough to go right to 2AM, we shut all the games off at 2:20 (flipping those switches is extremely cathartic), and that gets most people out very quickly. But there is almost always one or two tables who will sit there in the silent darkness and continue nursing their drinks until I walk up and take them. Once in a while we get a similar "oh we know, we're service industry too and we don't want to keep you," but they just. keep. sitting there, after I've walked by to warn them every five minutes.

Anyway, it's my birthday today and I'm going to go bug the staff at another local bar, yell at the pucksport boys on TV, play some Galaga and order several rounds of blackbirds. I don't plan to be there until last call (house party after), and how ridiculously well I tip will go up proportionally with my level of drunkenness.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 7, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I was once a bar back at a nightclub in Oakland (enforced closing times at 2am in the city). We'd do last call at 1:15, then at 1:30 I got to walk behind one of the giant bouncers while they physically took drinks out of people's hand and put them in the bus tub I was carrying. It was kinda fun if I'm being honest.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Arkhamina posted:

Maybe I’m in the minority here, and I know I’m singling out one thing, but being able to not tell people to gently caress off and die should be a requirement for most any job

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Maestro posted:

Maybe I’m in the minority here, and I know I’m singling out one thing, but being able to not tell people to gently caress off and die should be a requirement for most any job

Should and is are so far apart I'm not sure they can see each other.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Skwirl posted:

I was once a bar back at a nightclub in Oakland (enforced closing times at 2am in the city). We'd do last call at 1:15, then at 1:30 I got to walk behind one of the giant bouncers while they physically took drinks out of people's hand and put them in the bus tub I was carrying. It was kinda fun if I'm being honest.

Oh yeah, there's definitely some catharsis in taking a half-full still-cold pint from someone's hands and pouring it down the drain, for any reason. I hate wasting product (then what the gently caress am I doing in this industry, I know), but it sure is satisfying.

People trying to sneak drinks outside is another favourite.
"Hey ma'am you can't leave with that [full rocks glass of gin & tonic you're poorly hiding under your jacket]."
"Does it look like I'm trying to?"
"[Given that you're halfway out the door,] it kind of does, yeah."
"Honey if I really wanted to, you'd never know it, 'cause you're not that smart."
"Hey cool, so you were just leaving, right? And never coming back?"

She said something cliché about "you don't make me laugh but your Dad sure did last night" and I wish I were more quick-witted, I would have told her "my Dad's dead, so you can cut that out right now," but telling her she's banned got me off enough for one day.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Thanks for the Manhattan, Ghost Tony.

He visited me while I was awake. This is an excerpt from my pandemic journal:

I distinctly remember an occasion, a few weeks after I got the job at ______, where I was on burger duty. Hundreds of burgers, a thousand buns, toast the buns, place the little cardboard boxes, flip the burgers, don't forget the hot dogs, hustling, spinning, sweating, really working my rear end off. And I thought to myself, “I'm __ years old and I am flipping burgers. This is what has happened to me. This is how I ended up. Flipping burgers.”

Then, Anthony Bourdain's spirit paid my mind a visit. As if he was looking over my shoulder, he said, “Burgers are an extremely popular menu item and a staple of any good dining hall. The burger guy is very important.” As quickly as he appeared, he faded away, perhaps floating off to haunt another discouraged cook. I wasn't hallucinating. I wasn't thinking about Bourdain. He really did drop by to give me the advice I needed to hear.

I probably sold seven hundred burgers that day. And I came back to do it again the next day, protected by the spirit of Saint Anthony, el santo de cocineros, world wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

Should and is are so far apart I'm not sure they can see each other.

Heh. She calls herself a kitchen troll. Should clarify she's not a jerk to coworkers, just not cut out for customers, and not patient enough to manage. I'm seeing her this weekend (I live one state over) and will try to bring up some of these suggestions. She's been killing time doing leather craft this last year, but it's low volume and not going to cover rent.

Thanks for the suggestions!