Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Irisize posted:

Really? I just kinda... assumed all the DLC maps were total scams. Which ones would you recommend?
I can't remember which pack offers what stages but honestly, as far as DW8XL goes, I'd recommend any DLC which adds maps because while you get the standard two-scenario "this side/that side" way of playing them, there's usually a third scenario which just lumps you in on your own against pretty much any and every officer in the game, which is amazing because I just love slapping the poo poo out of thousands of mooks without having to constantly run back (and away from the fun) to babysit some thumbsucking idiot like Liu Shan because a lowly spearman managed to sneak up on him :v:

Guan Yu's Escape gets re-tooled into nothing short of a massacre.

Not pictured: that bit when the seemingly-empty spaces suddenly get flooded with red dudes.

In other words, just grab all the map DLC stuff when they're cheap during one of the many Steam sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

SW5 seemed decent enough.

I played the Demo, it seemed to be a perfectly fine musou, I guess, but it felt so incredibly dry.
I'm not sure I can play a musou game without dash cancelling anymore. It's weird that it isn't a standard feature by now.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I had fun with SW5 at first, but I lost steam around halfway through; the maps just have no personality, it just feels like a stream of "go here, kill that, now go here and kill 5 of these" over and over again. And I know that arguably this can be said about any musou game, but it seems more noticeable than usual in this one. Maybe it's just that I've played so many of these games I'm finally starting to get sick of them, but I feel like older musou games were better about hiding the monotony and making it feel like there was really a battle going on around you that occasionally ebbed and flowed without your presence.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Nothing felt like more of an adventure to me than being a teen playing Nanban Campaign in DW3 as Pang Tong on the xbox. I wasn't yet familiar with Dynasty Warriors and its gameplay. Everything was big and scary (the fog of the draw distance helped, a lot), and I had to treat every idle group of 5 like an action movie fight scene. I was sniping people off of elephants (and maybe towers), but I mean, loving ELEPHANTS. I was smacking people with a stick. I had no grasp of the strategic gameplay cause I had no horse and everything was happening everywhere.

I still just remember feeling in awe of that.

Now I play dynasty warriors by pointing my character arrow at the biggest blob of red-in-the-minimap.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Morter posted:

Nothing felt like more of an adventure to me than being a teen playing Nanban Campaign in DW3 as Pang Tong on the xbox.

I played the DW3 demo where you get to play the Nanman campaign as Huang Gai, Zhao Yun or Sun Shanxiang for about 10 minutes dozens of times, what a blast.

I couldn't find the game in stores anywhere so I had to settle for 2.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I was in high school during the ps2 launch and my family managed to find one for Christmas. I spent the majority of my winter break playing DW2 front and back, to this day I can still hear the lovely delivery of "the great gan Ning will FIGHT you!" in my head.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Kingtheninja posted:

I was in high school during the ps2 launch and my family managed to find one for Christmas. I spent the majority of my winter break playing DW2 front and back, to this day I can still hear the lovely delivery of "the great gan Ning will FIGHT you!" in my head.

I got my rear end handed to me at Changban time and time again to the point where the entire map was red while I desperately tried to keep Liu Bei alive.

Learning how to actually win a battle was an amazing moment.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Ainsley McTree posted:

I had fun with SW5 at first, but I lost steam around halfway through; the maps just have no personality, it just feels like a stream of "go here, kill that, now go here and kill 5 of these" over and over again. And I know that arguably this can be said about any musou game, but it seems more noticeable than usual in this one. Maybe it's just that I've played so many of these games I'm finally starting to get sick of them, but I feel like older musou games were better about hiding the monotony and making it feel like there was really a battle going on around you that occasionally ebbed and flowed without your presence.
What ruins it for me with the more recent titles is the lack of English voicework. I know this sounds shallow/silly but using Warriors Orochi 4 as an example, it's really loving distracting to hear seven (or more!) different characters waffling on in what might as well be Klingon for almost every loving second of any given battle, adding nothing but a layer of useless noise as I try not to get pasted by Hundun's sudden arrival while also reading the next fifteen loving objectives. They just don't. Stop. Talking. Turning the voices off however, creates another problem where the game just feels empty and lifeless.

But then you also have DW9's miserable excuse for English voiceovers, so gently caress it all. I guess I can't win no matter what with new Musou games.

Kingtheninja posted:

Ah man, the few lines of voicework in DW2 may not be as memorable as the scenery-chewing crud of DW3, but they're still magically poo poo. Cao Cao's delivery of "the true battle is not fought with men" -points to his own head- "it is fought with THIS!" before the Battle of Guan Du remains so awkwardly crap. He sounds like he has his tongue stuck in his lower lip. Bizarrely, he was voiced by Robbie Belgrade. That's right; Alucard in Symphony of the Night has the same VA as Cao Cao in DW2, yet in the latter case he sounds like someone who has never done any VA work in his life!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't usually mind forced non-english VA with subs (I liked it so much in the yakuza series that I picked it even when they gave me the option) but yeah it's pretty rough in some musou games. Most of what people are saying is just repetitive combat barks, but every now and then someone says something that you really ought to pay attention to, and rip your morale if you were paying attention to the combat instead of reading subtitles at the wrong time.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Yeah, unless there's a serious about-face with VA hiring practices in DW10(where they bring back most of the 8 Crew), I feel like the game will be a missing a good deal of its soul. It was never great VA work even when it's not early PS2 era garbage, but it always feels lesser to not be able to identify people by voices as they ask you to do something or complain or whatever. You're busy paying attention to crowd murder and can't always be arsed to read.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah even Hyrule Warriors trips me up with no speech

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
The thing I miss most from latter-day localized VA is people having unique phrases for KOing an enemy officer. You can only hear "enemy officer defeated!" in the exact same voice, with the exact same cadence, so many times in a 10-second period before your brain starts to liquefy.

It's not MUCH better with the English VA, but at least it's not literally the exact same words for every single character. :sigh:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

DW5E's "so let's go take an enemy base" is burned into my smooth brain

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

My younger brother used to play one of the Empires games and every mission he'd set the AI to defense, so you'd hear 10-15 variations of "I'm going to defend this base!" at the start of every mission :lol:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

The mind shall vanquish the sword!

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
Impressive. You do not require strategy?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I am a man of peerless might

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

"I shall teach you the basics of strategy!"
-slap-
"Some battles you win, and some battles you lose!"

"Just another victim!"

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

It's just

that

simple

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

You wanna fight?! Then fight me!!!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I come forth!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Dragon rises

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

"Can anybody provide me with a decent CHALLENGE?!"

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

You're simply inferior.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Why do I even bother?

Am I quoting Cow Pee, or myself at work? :iiam:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

WO1 Cao Pi is one of, if not definitively, my favorite characters in the franchise. He's just so drat cool and smart.

"Orochi and I are allies. I will do it."

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Xiao Qiao posted:

"Come back later and try again!"
_____________________________/

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
"The Coming Evil stops for NO ONE!"

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
"You're in too deep! CONTROL YOURSELF!"

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I picked up DW9E.

Measured up against DW9 vanilla, I've already noticed some significant engine improvements, though I've only been through the tutorial so far.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

He Jin: This doesn't look good!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Airspace posted:

I picked up DW9E.

Measured up against DW9 vanilla, I've already noticed some significant engine improvements, though I've only been through the tutorial so far.

The fact that some steam achievements are lacking words does not inspire much hope for polish.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Arbite posted:

The fact that some steam achievements are lacking words does not inspire much hope for Polish.

Support for more languages is being released later

:v:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I got Hyrule Warriors for Switch for Xmas, and is it just me or does it absolutely zoom in terms of framerate? It just feels like the game goes really fast with the animations sometimes.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Definitive Edition or Age of Calamity? I haven't noticed any framerate issues in DE personally, and the issues in AOC tend to be dips, not spikes.

If you're playing DE, you'll want to exit the game when you're not playing it, because IIRC there's a memory leak that'll start causing rendering issues and eventually crashes if you leave the game running too long.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Definitive Edition or Age of Calamity? I haven't noticed any framerate issues in DE personally, and the issues in AOC tend to be dips, not spikes.

If you're playing DE, you'll want to exit the game when you're not playing it, because IIRC there's a memory leak that'll start causing rendering issues and eventually crashes if you leave the game running too long.

DE, I have Age of Calamity too but haven't gotten to it.

But that memory leak is good to know about. But i was playing as Lana and everything just seemed to be animating really quickly.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

What's the general consensus on Samurai Warriors 5?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

It's a game.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Well I don't respect myself or my money so good enough for me. 35% off on PSN right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I enjoyed it for a while but couldn't bother to finish it. The limited copy paste movesets really kill a lot of replayability, especially since partway through both protags specialize in the same weapon. Sure everyone can wield anything, but they only get to use a boring a limited version of weapons they don't main.