Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's something you never ever really "git gud" at unless you do it often enough for it to become mechanical. Also, as CPU packages become more chiplet-heavy the "X" and "Big Pea" methods won't be valid anymore over a thin uniform application over the entire spreader.

The last time I did it was with Kryonaut and I just got exasperated and redid it the first time. I remember AS5 being so loving simple by comparison and the only paste I flat out hated was AS Ceramique because I did such a good job in applying it that getting the HSF off my Tualatin P3 required my twisting the sink to finally break the super tight seal that'd been made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Rinkles posted:

I hosed up and ended up repasting three times, because I noticed that the cooler was loose, but only by the second attempt did I realize it was because I forgot to screw in the mounting brackets. At least this was before I moved on to do anything else.

A lot of wasted paste, though by the end I was more confident about how much (or little) was actually needed.

You learn by doing, it's the best way

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Let it also be said that the penalty for using too much paste is far less of a problem than the penalty for not using enough. Too much paste makes a mess and squeezes out of the sides but otherwise performs fine, too little and there will be air gaps between the surfaces and the performance will suffer significantly. Always error on the side of too much.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Also, both with regard to "should I repaste if I take apart fresh assembly" and "I'm worried about using too much", unless you're test benching or building an incredible number of systems, you're usually going to wind up throwing away most of the paste you buy. Just Paste It.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000088261/processors/intel-core-processors.html

Good to see they're on top of the DRM issues, there's already only three games left to fix

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's something you never ever really "git gud" at unless you do it often enough for it to become mechanical. Also, as CPU packages become more chiplet-heavy the "X" and "Big Pea" methods won't be valid anymore over a thin uniform application over the entire spreader.
Servers have had big heat-spreaders for decades, and I don't think I've ever seen the "X"/"Big Pea" paste pattern recommended there ever. It's almost always 6 dots equidistantly separated from each other and the edges, like rolling 6 on a 6-sided die.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Servers have had big heat-spreaders for decades, and I don't think I've ever seen the "X"/"Big Pea" paste pattern recommended there ever. It's almost always 6 dots equidistantly separated from each other and the edges, like rolling 6 on a 6-sided die.

Yeah well maybe if server scrubs used a better method, they wouldn't have such trouble breaking 3 GHz :smug:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Yeah well maybe if server scrubs used a better method, they wouldn't have such trouble breaking 3 GHz :smug:
Considering they're typically a fair bit behind and the newest is still on a "14 nm" process, they're doing okayish?

Of course, whether its a 7nm, 14nm, or any other value of process doesn't really reflect reality since there's no way you could fit a gate into 7 or 14 nanometers, when the Van der Waals radius of a single silicon atom is 210picometer - which would mean that the gate would have to be only 35 or 70 atoms thickness. :smugbert:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Newest parts are Ice Lake / Intel 7 now. But I think we are overanalyzing the joke here!!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cygni posted:

Newest parts are Ice Lake / Intel 7 now. But I think we are overanalyzing the joke here!!
"Intel 7" is at least more honest than the lie they've been pulling off since the mid-90s about the actual size of the gates.

For reference, I think 7nm equates to about 22nm of actual gate material.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Intel 7 is a "10nm" technology, not 7nm. Their supposedly 7nm process is "Intel 4"

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Intel 7 is a "10nm" technology, not 7nm. Their supposedly 7nm process is "Intel 4"
The whole point is that the "7" nm that they're not reffering to with "Intel 4" is no more accurate than saying that it's 4 nm, when the actual number is somewhere in the range of 22nm if you measure it with a scanning electron microscope.

AMD, ARM, RISC-V ODMs, IBM and every other architecture under the sun are doing the same - it's not just Intel.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Gate lengths can be close to the fake “nm” marketing name, but gate pitch for all of em (TSMC 7/6, Samsung 7, Intel 7) is 54nm I think, with similar max density too.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
And since finFET we're in 3D structure territory, making just gate pitch or length technically even less meaningful.
At least by doing the nm unit in the name it's being honest that it is just a node label and marketing term.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
IIRC the nanometer number they quote these days means "if we were still using planar transistors, this is how small they'd have to be to match the process's density".

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Beef posted:

And since finFET we're in 3D structure territory, making just gate pitch or length technically even less meaningful.
At least by doing the nm unit in the name it's being honest that it is just a node label and marketing term.

Though I find it very funny that in the same breath they talked about nanometers being a useless marketing term now, they announced that they'll be returning to measurement-based node labels in a few years anyway with "20A"

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

IIRC the nanometer number they quote these days means "if we were still using planar transistors, this is how small they'd have to be to match the process's density".

TSMC straight up says its just marketing now.

TSMC VP of Research posted:

“Today, these numbers are just numbers. They’re like models in a car – it’s like BMW 5-series or Mazda 6. It doesn’t matter what the number is, it’s just a destination of the next technology, the name for it. So, let’s not confuse ourselves with the name of the node with what the technology actually offers.”

I like that they say that while simultaneously pushing "half step" nodes like N6, lol.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Once they get to 1, they should just start counting up again. They'll probably be close enough to a billion transistors per mm2 that they can just pretend that's what it means.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Though I find it very funny that in the same breath they talked about nanometers being a useless marketing term now, they announced that they'll be returning to measurement-based node labels in a few years anyway with "20A"

Technically it's still not measurement based, they're using A not Å, you're just making the connection like the "nm" comes after Intel 7 or 4.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
IBM is already down to 2 nm chips, so the next step down is sub-1000 picometres

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Probably should update ASAP?

Gamer's Nexus reported that some Gigabyte motherboards got vulnerabilities updates, and mine was among them.

e:date says 11/09 for F7, but when I checked a few days ago F6 was the latest BIOS available

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

gradenko_2000 posted:

IBM is already down to 2 nm chips, so the next step down is sub-1000 picometres

Perfect, number go up

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Deuce posted:

Perfect, number go up
But op, number go down!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
USB is so dumb

No, those aren't all the same speed.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Orks taught us long ago that red makes it go faster.

Obvious stuff, here.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I guess USB isn't that 'universal' anymore now that are several types.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

why are mobo so stingy with the usb-c?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

incoherent posted:

More expensive connector with more stringent requirements.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

I guess USB isn't that 'universal' anymore now that are several types.
It was never universal, but today it's even less:
  • there's 14 different connectors
  • multiple device classes that do the same:
  • there's like 4 classes of webcam
  • there's several LAN NIC classes
  • there's several types of mass storage (MSC, UMS, UAS with only the latter being good)
  • there's at least two card reader classes,
  • there's two testing classes (because verifying that USB works is its own nightmare; if you wanna have a sample, check usb logic flow charts)
  • and finally there's 10 different ways of delivering power (ranging from 500mW to 240W between 5V and 48V).
Oh, and there's at least one vulnerability which is completely unpatchable without breaking the specification completely, and the best part is that it'll silently spread from USB port to USB port, completely untracably.

incoherent posted:

because of backwards comparability, ironically enough

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

what the f/2.8 is going on here!

Rinkles posted:

USB is so dumb

No, those aren't all the same speed.

My Gigabyte also has USB 2.0 ports lol. Granted they're designed for mouse/kb/DACs etc but still, having them all USB 3.2 would have been better.

Thankfully it only has 2 USB 2 ports, the rest are all USB 3.1/3.2 and a Type-C 3.2 on the back as well as an internal connector that goes to the Type-C 3.2 on my case front panel along with 2x 3.2 USB-A ports.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

mrk posted:

My Gigabyte also has USB 2.0 ports lol. Granted they're designed for mouse/kb/DACs etc but still, having them all USB 3.2 would have been better.

Thankfully it only has 2 USB 2 ports, the rest are all USB 3.1/3.2 and a Type-C 3.2 on the back as well as an internal connector that goes to the Type-C 3.2 on my case front panel along with 2x 3.2 USB-A ports.

What is 3.1? Don't you mean USB 3.2 Gen 1/2???

:sickos:

And USB4 is honestly even worse, lol

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Well PC Manufacturers, I made it. Despite your directions

Ah, usb consortium! Welcome! I hope you're prepared for a forgettable standard!

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I still remember when the usb consortium announced the new names for the 5/10/20 gbps standards. Even for some of the poorest performing standards bodies out there it is exceptionally rare one invents a naming convention so colossally bad that it makes the whole internet pause for a moment because everyone that reads it thinks it is a prank.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The naming and poo poo does suck. It does get a little tricky though because they were adding the ability to add multiple lanes to a controller instead of a single so you're left with trying to communicate something like GenX with 2 lanes compared to GenY with a single lane and them both being the same speed but I guess it's like when someone asks you a question and your brain freezes and you blurt out some gibberish and 5 minutes later you're wondering what the hell you're thinking only this time it's a group of people and a ratified document.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

DrDork posted:

Orks taught us long ago that red makes it go faster.

Obvious stuff, here.

Is this right, tho? I’ve got black ones and one red one. I plug my drives into the red one assuming (naturally) that it’s the best one. It’s still slow as gently caress, so who knows but usb sucks rear end nevertheless

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It was never universal, but today it's even less:
  • there's 14 different connectors
  • multiple device classes that do the same:
  • there's like 4 classes of webcam
  • there's several LAN NIC classes
  • there's several types of mass storage (MSC, UMS, UAS with only the latter being good)
  • there's at least two card reader classes,
  • there's two testing classes (because verifying that USB works is its own nightmare; if you wanna have a sample, check usb logic flow charts)
  • and finally there's 10 different ways of delivering power (ranging from 500mW to 240W between 5V and 48V).
Oh, and there's at least one vulnerability which is completely unpatchable without breaking the specification completely, and the best part is that it'll silently spread from USB port to USB port, completely untracably.

because of backwards comparability, ironically enough

This.

And also, on a single host device, you can have USB C ports:

that can output video, and ports that cannot
that support thunderbolt and ports that cannot
that can accept power and ports that can only provide power

And heaven help you if the pets are not clearly labeled for any of that.

Then you have USB C cables that night only be USB 2.0 or not tested for the power spec you need, or incapable of any number of other functions.

Basically, USB is a hell scape of compatibility issues.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You guys aren't wrong to diss it, but I can generally plug anything into anything and it basically works. It will often tell me if it could be working better or maybe I don't even notice. Seems to me it is stupid, but good enough. At least you can plug it in in either direction and it's pretty small and fits pretty snug.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, I do not miss the bad old days of parallel ports and making sure my serial ports had a high enough UART rating to run a proper external modem.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I don't miss setting IRQs either if it comes to that, but let's not pretend that USB isn't completely hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
If you wish to identify your ports USB
You must first answer these riddles three