Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Mola Yam posted:

hehe haboob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
WARNING: Global Omnicide

https://arctic-news.blogspot.com/2021/12/planetary-extinction-due-to-arctic-atmospheric-methane-veil.html
https://twitter.com/KrVaSt/status/1468297955891425284

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the decision to not have children feels extra good when it means also spiting Elon

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

oh

dope

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

guys the chalk is right here, bill is raring to go.
invest in sweaters

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol Frog in the heating pot thing is really apt right now.

Humans are hot tubbing ourselves to death.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
If you haven't drawn just a straight line up when predicting future global temperatures, then you are always wrong.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol who the hell bought the banner to that fuken 2h30m youtube video

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Volcanic eruption in Indonesia today. Dozens (?) more of those and we'll be right as rain (read: able to kick the can further down the road)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

isn't this guy known to be full of poo poo

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i'm convinced

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

actionjackson posted:

either way the alarms are ringing

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

petit choux posted:

I think the preferred method is helium. One can just go to the Party Store, purchase a dozen balloons marked "LOL" and empty them into a plastic bag and put that over one's head and be still. Not that I've given it any consideration.

the thread stance is that you should not do this by the way!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

actionjackson posted:

yes he's a crank

engaging with cranks is a kind of hopium so i prefer to stick to the more realistic doomers

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

venus by next tuesday

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
relax, it'll be fine

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

You climate goofs are messing with my head again!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
two words

nuke yellowstone

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

two words

nuke yellowstone

what about suffolk county

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CVe8-eKSK8

New talk by William Rees discussing the nature of Climate Change as a shared delusion which distracts from the actual threat of overshoot resulting in biosphere collapse.

The opening three slides from the video:

It's pretty good, I highly recommend it.

I've decided to use my 8 month sabbatical to write a book. :downs:

You'd think I'd be able to find my own drat thread after changing the title specifically to do so, pruning my bookmarks to be safe this time. :doh:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Rime posted:

good luck! writing is hard as poo poo

what are you going to write about that hasn't been said? wind turbine industry?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

this is the logical explanation of the minable resources in rimworld

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Rime posted:

New talk by William Rees discussing the nature of Climate Change as a shared delusion which distracts from the actual threat of overshoot resulting in biosphere collapse.

You'd think I'd be able to find my own drat thread after changing the title specifically to do so, pruning my bookmarks to be safe this time. :doh:

space

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Rime posted:

Lol c'mon.

"It is important to know precisely of two schools of thought gives us the ontological origin of our current predicament, that we will do absolutely nothing to mitigate"

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Rime posted:

I would like to submit a forward:

AAAAAHHHHHHH! AAAAHHHHHHHH! AAAAHHHH! AAAAAHHHHH! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Whelp, no need to write that book now. :downs:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress the ocean

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I gotta say "Global Omnicide" is a step up

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tabletops posted:

plasteel, baby

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

gently caress the ocean

buddy,

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/?extent=37.16032,-138.7793&extent=51.50874,-106.43555&listOnlyShown=true uhh how worried should I be in Seattle atm

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

prob fine. clusters happen all the time and dont appreciable do anything (on a scale we observe). there's always lots of earthquakes on shallow mantle ridges

these are also on the juan de fuca plate not the subduction of fuca plate into the north american plate. there's also lots of competing theories on recurrence and strain: does strain get relieved, does it add to strain, does it do nothing? i wouldn't worry, poo poo gunna happens when poo poo is gunna happen.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 07:36 on Dec 8, 2021

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

dunno, probably just a subducting plate breaking apart 100 miles into the mantle

i got a bad case of the plate sweats

Tabletops has issued a correction as of 07:44 on Dec 8, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Rime posted:

Okay i watched it. it's not much that hasnt been said already in other various forms (including even this thread) before. I would say Eye of the Needle paper did a little better job in specifics but ofc it's only a brief presentation.

a few things, i don't agree that MTI humans are fundamentally incapable of grokking various aspects of modern life. we are obviously not going to run complex weather modelling in our brain but it can be grasped how various interactions would intuitively work and play out. Same with geopolitical and global neoliberal economics. Consequently, there is also a lot of money and power to be had in making sure people don't understand something and a lot of that is a Kojima control of dissemination and production of information. So that felt like some dumb biotruthy stuff -- and also mostly irrelevant so i'm not sure why it's even brought up. but it's true we do compartmentalize; and that's not a bad thing. but a lot of that is intentionally shaped by capital and power perspective and not some inherent limitation of the brain. and also a few kinda silly digs at greta.

this is true though, but it's especially true under increasingly instability and declining individual conditions. i don't think that this has to be the case if people are generally well-cared for, feel secure in themselves and their community, and have a sort of more spirituality. but well lol

lol good luck. The last time any major US politican said our way of life is unsustainable and we have to learn to cut back (jimmy carter's infamous "malaise" speech), there was an immediate cataclysmic backlash resulting in a nearly 50-state blowout for conservative-led neoliberalism. (that's a bit of a simplification but y'know)

the one thing I didn't see addressed is food production in a world of unreliable climates with droughts, megafloods, topsoil erosion, limited water, and doing all that without fossil fuels and production of mega-ag equipment. even on a plant-only diet.

but yes, land and material use for so called "green" energy is huge. We would need to fill two Australia's completely to the brim of wind turbines to fulfill the current demand (170,000+ TWh). and that is not even considering transmission and peak demand and is obviously unfeasible from mining, refining, extraction, smelting, transportation, and replacement perspective. but it may be possible to do more mixed solar-wind to at least reduce the land-requirement although still infeasible without enormous oil+water use and pollution. All of which is going to come from ramping up massively exploitation of africa, se asia, and south america. So, yes it is a grand delusion that liberals are selling people that we can keep the comfy status quo but only make x,y,z minor tweaks; however, it is also just about the only thing you can sell populations on while remaining in power. yet perhaps that's what you sell people on and let inevitable economic and planetary-health contraction take its course because anything else isn't going to happen either and it may be able to slightly stem some bleeding even if it's gone septic.

i mean i think we all know what's going to happen when the inherent contradictions and contraction of global capitalism happens, and continued decline of socioeconomic material conditions happens -- all under the biosphere imploding. This word is stupidly heavily overused by the Online Left but it's fascism and you can already see that trend globally right now. declining material conditions and socioeconomic security while rising external refugees already led to the rise of Erdogon, Orbán, Modi, Aliyevs, Volya movement, Janša, Brexit/Boris, O'Tooles, Trumps, and not insignificant far-right parliamentary seat wins in 25 other countries including taking 20% of Sweden. we're not there yet and some of those are only lite, but that's the trendline. it's sort of the last gasp of Capital to save itself while telling people that we can preserve the status quo or return to a gilded age -- and it's one much more palpable overall.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 10:03 on Dec 8, 2021

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Tabletops posted:

:monocle:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

guy's a loving idiot.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

rime turn left