Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I'll believe it when it's on my wrist at this rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'll believe it when Google starts teasing it. Once they reach that point they tend to deliver a product, then the next question is whether it succeeds enough to earn actual long term support.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

And honestly, I don't care as long as Google hasn't gotten their fitness ecosystem into shape.

I'm diehard pixel phone all the way but what's being described as a "Pixel watch" is all the downsides of an apple watch with none of the advantages and why would I ever want that ever?

Proprietary bands can gently caress right off. I have like a dozen different 20mm and 22mm bands that I mix and match on all my watches.

If google wants this thing to be a minimalist wearable with everything down to the band being defined for people, this it has to do better than occasionally check heart rate and show notifications. It needs to blow away the Fitbit Sense as far as health and fitness tracking, otherwise what's the point?

Google Fit needs to be completely revamped with comprehensive data views and ability to have accurate interpretation of data from any of the sensors that a device may have.

Use that Fit data to train server side ML algorithms to provide meaningful outcomes from that data that feed into a health and fitness dashboard that any Android user can use that can receive data from any Wear 3.0 device.

Then, you use that learning to inform design of Tensor wearable so that you can do that data interpretation in real time to provide offline immediate feedback during workouts our even just through the course of your day.

It's at this point that you introduce a Pixel watch because it then plays into the Pixel strengths. Building something that runs generic WearOS 3.0 at this point in a bland featureless case that has all the same drawbacks of current WearOS 3.0 devices (actually more) helps nothing and makes the Pixel watch a joke.

Pixel products are always the strongest when they are about the data. Stuff like call screening, real time offline transcription, smart replies, all of that is why I keep coming back to Pixel devices. You need to build a wearable that takes that mindset to the wrist. Pack it with accurate sensors. Do something with that data other than giving you some heart points and tracking steps.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Looks like Jon Prosser's leak about the Pixel watch back in April was probably correct.

https://twitter.com/dohyun854/status/1467273439690248195?t=w2MTBHmytwMhtHp3Ozt94A&s=19]

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I mean if you predict it's coming long enough you'll be right eventually. The things been a constant rumor since before the lg style and sport were officially announced

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Len posted:

I mean if you predict it's coming long enough you'll be right eventually. The things been a constant rumor since before the lg style and sport were officially announced

He leaked the exact design several months ago. I know Prosser's personality is insufferable but he has legit inside sources. Also nailed the Pixel 6 pro design and tons of Apple stuff.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
is watch4 deep sleep tracking not that good, or do I only get the deep sleep of an 80 year old man?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Cabbages and Kings posted:

is watch4 deep sleep tracking not that good, or do I only get the deep sleep of an 80 year old man?

I borrowed my spouse's Fitbit Sense, wearing both to sleep one night, and the Watch4 deep sleep tracking came up way short.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Qylvaran posted:

I borrowed my spouse's Fitbit Sense, wearing both to sleep one night, and the Watch4 deep sleep tracking came up way short.

good to know. i guess if i really care about that I will grab a sense!! As long as I am not actually getting worryingly low amounts of delta sleep, whatever, and I wasn't seriously worried about that because I know something about how these sensors work and do a best guess by combining HR and accelerometer data.

Possible they'll fix it on the watch4 but it looks like people have been bitching about this for months.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm not entirely sure whether I even like that Pixel Watch design. And I say that as an Apple Watch owner, a device that has also rounded edges. But that circular version looks just weird.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm not entirely sure whether I even like that Pixel Watch design. And I say that as an Apple Watch owner, a device that has also rounded edges. But that circular version looks just weird.

Yeah, I'm not a fan.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

The lack of standard lugs is a deal breaker. Really hope smartwatch manufacturers don't try to send them the way of the headphone jack and replaceable battery on phones industry-wide.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Looking at those images the two things that come to mind are "jewelry" and "fragile." I've always gone for fairly robust watches (like diving watches), and the lack of a bezel just looks wrong to me. On my Ticwatch E3 the lack of a raised bezel gives me pause, as compared to the raised bezel on my Ticwatch E2, although the E3 is an upgrade in just about every other regard.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The thing is, those renders (based on either visual description or, more likely at this stage, design sketches) just aren't even practical.

The Gen 6 skimps about as much as you can on battery size, and it's significantly thicker at even 44mm and it was rumored that this watch was going to be on the smaller size (which is a dealbreaker to me as much as the non-standard bands.). The watch 4 non-classic in 44mm is about the smallest watch that doesn't look out of place on my wrist.

If the Watch 4 or the Ticwatch Pro 3 or Fossil Gen 6 can run everything that watch is running and we aren't getting any meaningful pixel experience upgrades, then there isn't one hell of a whole lot of point to this thing unless it's also quite cheap (which I doubt it will be).

But hey, for like $149 I could see that design being an OK buy to get a Watch OS 3 device for cheap.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Guys if it's got a bezel it's going to be harder to smash the screen and generate more repair and replacement revenue, C'mon get it together now

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

The thing is, those renders (based on either visual description or, more likely at this stage, design sketches) just aren't even practical.

The Gen 6 skimps about as much as you can on battery size, and it's significantly thicker at even 44mm and it was rumored that this watch was going to be on the smaller size (which is a dealbreaker to me as much as the non-standard bands.). The watch 4 non-classic in 44mm is about the smallest watch that doesn't look out of place on my wrist.

If the Watch 4 or the Ticwatch Pro 3 or Fossil Gen 6 can run everything that watch is running and we aren't getting any meaningful pixel experience upgrades, then there isn't one hell of a whole lot of point to this thing unless it's also quite cheap (which I doubt it will be).

But hey, for like $149 I could see that design being an OK buy to get a Watch OS 3 device for cheap.

My Ticwatch E3 is slated to get Wear OS 3 when it releases, and I don't think I paid much more than $149 for it. Actually, I just checked, and I guess I paid $169.99 for it.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Was there some recent update to Samsung Gen 4 watches that could be destroying my battery?

I normally go 8-10 hours on 40-50% usage but the last 2 days I'm down to 15% battery after only about 7 hours.

Frustrating and makes no sense.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I haven't noticed anything dramatic.

Have you tried restarting the watch? Have you added or updated any crazy watch faces?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Nothing new, using the same watch face and settings I've used since day 1.

Hopefully a restart does the trick.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Krime posted:

Was there some recent update to Samsung Gen 4 watches that could be destroying my battery?

I normally go 8-10 hours on 40-50% usage but the last 2 days I'm down to 15% battery after only about 7 hours.

Frustrating and makes no sense.

I saw something similar happen on my Ticwatch E2 that seemed to be related to an update. My phone showed a weird notification that my watch was in debugging mode or something, but after waiting and a restart or two it went back to normal behavior in a day or so. I'd suggest making sure your phone has run any available updates and restart it, too.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I saw something similar happen on my Ticwatch E2 that seemed to be related to an update. My phone showed a weird notification that my watch was in debugging mode or something, but after waiting and a restart or two it went back to normal behavior in a day or so. I'd suggest making sure your phone has run any available updates and restart it, too.

After a restart everything seems to be back to normal. I'm 9 hours in and still at 72% today.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Any idea how to solve the "check your connection and try again" message when trying to use the Play Store on the app? This is on a Watch4 Classic, FWIW.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've seen this when I think the wearos app on the watch needs updated and I find that turning off Bluetooth and forcing it to use wifi solves it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, if it pops up again I'll try that.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Krime posted:

After a restart everything seems to be back to normal. I'm 9 hours in and still at 72% today.

Just to follow on with this further, the other day I fired up my Ticwatch E2 for the first time in weeks (since I switched to an E3) and it ran dog slow and sucked the battery down for quite a while, then eventually normalized. I know it was installing updates since it had been a while since I had turned it on and my E3 has had several updates over that time, but at least on the Ticwatch Wear OS 2.0 doesn't seem to give you any indication that's what it's doing. It would be nice if there was a system status notification somewhere, but AFAIK there isn't one.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to disable to bezel on a Watch4 Classic? It gets bumped occasionally, and the "no notifications" screen is not particularly useful.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

You can disable "Turn bezel to wake" in Settings > Display. That should prevent that situation if I'm understanding you correctly.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Qylvaran posted:

You can disable "Turn bezel to wake" in Settings > Display. That should prevent that situation if I'm understanding you correctly.

That's already off. I think what might be happening is it wakes when I raise my wrist, then like my sleeve or a kid bumps the bezel.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I keep always on screen on and tilt to wake off. That gives me all day battery and the time always on my wrist. In past watches I've found accelerometer gestures too unpredictable to be useful.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Qylvaran posted:

I keep always on screen on and tilt to wake off. That gives me all day battery and the time always on my wrist. In past watches I've found accelerometer gestures too unpredictable to be useful.

This is what I do on my Fossil Gen 5, end the day at 60%ish left. With battery saver overnight could probably push that to 2 full days.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Qylvaran posted:

Same. Also I keep tap to wake off, have to press button to wake, which might help battery too.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

On my Ticwatches I've kept both tilt to wake and tap to wake on and the battery life has been good. On the E3 in particular I find the tilt to wake works well most of the time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I usually keep both on because even with the settings on, the watch will last from wake to sleep (and then sleep tracking) with a comfortable margin left.

If I'm going to be away from home for a period, then I'll probably turn off tilt to wake or AoD to save battery and have to charge less if I don't bring my charger.

Charging the watch 4 while showering is actually a great routine to fall into because you can go for the majority of the week without a long session charge. When I spent the night at my parents over Christmas I just left all settings on , did sleep tracking, and only tossed it on the charger while I was in the shower Christmas morning and I made it back home and to bed 36 hours later with like 40% battery left. Since it only uses about 7% overnight while sleep tracking, that got me well into the next day before I really needed to charge.

The Tickwatch Pro is a whole other level with the FSTN display and the honking battery. You use that and only have touch to wake turned on (or wake when notifications come it), it's easily an 80+ hour watch per charge.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Do y'all find that stress monitoring drains the battery a lot (or is even worthwhile to begin with)? Mine is on currently.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Stress monitoring?

A MINIATURE LLAMA
Jul 30, 2009

IT'S SO TINY

Ticwatch E3 folks, are you happy with your purchase? Satisfied with battery? My Samsung Active 2 watch died and was considering this as an alternative.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

A MINIATURE LLAMA posted:

Ticwatch E3 folks, are you happy with your purchase? Satisfied with battery? My Samsung Active 2 watch died and was considering this as an alternative.

I really like mine, and the battery has been good for me. For context, though, the only other smartwatch I've owned was a Ticwatch E2 that I liked well enough to upgrade to the E3. I don't really use the health related stuff much, and use my watch mostly as an extension of my phone so I don't have to pull my phone out of my pocket every time I get a text or want to check the weather or whatever. I also bought leather bands for it because I'm not fond of the silicone band it came with, and it's currently rocking a Timex band that I think makes it look a lot better than the base band.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
if i get a wearos watch with wifi only can i download an album to it from youtube music and listen to it on my pixel buds without needing my phone nearby?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

butt dickus posted:

if i get a wearos watch with wifi only can i download an album to it from youtube music and listen to it on my pixel buds without needing my phone nearby?

Yes if you have paired the buds to the watch. I think the download options are individual songs or playlists, so you may have to create a playlist of the album you want.

I was doing something similar with Spotify over the summer with my watch 4. I would download podcasts to it to listen to while cutting the grass, not carrying the phone with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
thanks. i've never made a playlist in my life but i'm sure i can manage it. now to wait and see if the pixel watch ever shows up