Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Ganso Bomb posted:

Tony can afford the real deal

Tony couldn’t afford Europe and wouldn’t Chaka be more expensive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

Tony couldn’t afford Europe and wouldn’t Chaka be more expensive?

I think part of the thing with The Final Countdown is Europe hates that song so they make anyone who wants to license it pay through the nose.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Not only were Europe asking for exorbitant sums, they wanted to restrict AEW to playing it 20 times a year (per a Danielson interview I found while googling it). I don't really know about Chaka Kahn, but Mox has Janis Joplin's cover of Wild Thing, and Punk got Cult of Personality back, neither of which seem cheap.
I believe Rancid are wrestling fans who like Ruby Soho personally, so they let her have the name for free and the song for mate's rates.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Not only were Europe asking for exorbitant sums, they wanted to restrict AEW to playing it 20 times a year (per a Danielson interview I found while googling it). I don't really know about Chaka Kahn, but Mox has Janis Joplin's cover of Wild Thing, and Punk got Cult of Personality back, neither of which seem cheap.
I believe Rancid are wrestling fans who like Ruby Soho personally, so they let her have the name for free and the song for mate's rates.

Cult of Personality is pretty reasonable but yes, Janis Joplin's cover of Wild Thing is really expensive due to how rare it is. Mox is very lucky.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
Mox's Wild Thing is by X, not Joplin

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

dracula vladdy AF posted:

Mox's Wild Thing is by X, not Joplin

Looks like you need to take a Jagged Little Pill because you are wrong there buddy!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Looks like you need to take a Jagged Little Pill because you are wrong there buddy!

Get their rear end

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://youtu.be/KKiRou2LzHM

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

IIRC Janis Joplin called Moxley and said he could have it but only if he and Eddie Kingston formed a tag team, which is how Mox and Eddie met

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

JUNGLE BOY posted:

IIRC Janis Joplin called Moxley and said he could have it but only if he and Eddie Kingston formed a tag team, which is how Mox and Eddie met

That's impressive. Didn't realize Mox and Eddie were tagging in the territory days.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The best wrestlers are the ones who truly love and care about the business, and the ones who hold nothing but naked contempt for it

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Paying out the rear end for industry legend CM Punk to have his special song is not the same as paying out the rear end for future upper midcarder Shane Strickland to have his.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Specifically Lars Frederiksen, one of the guitarists is a giant fan and was a semi-regular on a wrestling podcast that had Ruby on as a guest right after her release. They asked her if she was gonna go back to Heidi Lovelace, she mentioned she'd been kicking around some new names (possibly due to the Chikara/Quack connections of the name, plus the common mispronunciation) and kinda fangirled that she'd picked the first name 'Ruby' in WWE because of the song. The other hosts and her brainstormed some stuff using the Ruby name and then Lars just went "why not just be Ruby Soho? I can text the guys and get it cleared for you. Song too."

The Europe stuff I was aware of so whenever people were talking about it I was very conscious it wasn't realistic. ROH got away with it because no-one cared if it was played on an indie show in a high school gym with 150 people there. Once ROH got TV even, they stopped using it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/maki_itoh/status/1468146731628249088?t=4Kpl7HpJpDXHnofhjTXZGA&s=19

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Specifically Lars Frederiksen, one of the guitarists is a giant fan and was a semi-regular on a wrestling podcast that had Ruby on as a guest right after her release. They asked her if she was gonna go back to Heidi Lovelace, she mentioned she'd been kicking around some new names (possibly due to the Chikara/Quack connections of the name, plus the common mispronunciation) and kinda fangirled that she'd picked the first name 'Ruby' in WWE because of the song. The other hosts and her brainstormed some stuff using the Ruby name and then Lars just went "why not just be Ruby Soho? I can text the guys and get it cleared for you. Song too."

The Europe stuff I was aware of so whenever people were talking about it I was very conscious it wasn't realistic. ROH got away with it because no-one cared if it was played on an indie show in a high school gym with 150 people there. Once ROH got TV even, they stopped using it.

ROH tried to get the rights to Europe but it was way too expensive. They did get the rights to Gimme Back My Bullets so there was a year where the Briscoes would end basically every show so they could play it more while they posed with the belts to get Cary's money's worth.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
There's no chart that states how much a song costs, there are very famous artists who either generally refuse or ask for an insane amount of money to license songs (Led Zeppelin, the Beatles), there are other artists who are prominent but will hand out licenses to pretty much anyone depending on the context (I remember R.E.M. when they were big in the 1990s letting pretty much any movie/tv show get their music on the cheap, but hard-passed on commercials), it's generally up to the rights holders, who are increasingly not the actual musicians.

Which is to say if Europe/the rightsholders wanted to decide that The Final Countdown cost a million dollars to license, but Chaka Khan/the rightsholders wanted to give Shane the rights for $100, that's also entirely possible. It is entirely possible for it to be less expensive to get Single Ladies as John Silver's solo theme song than it is to get some Asian Man label ska band's song for the same.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

gotta say I love the idea of Strickland in House of Black. dude is loving talented as poo poo, and it would be such a pleasant change from the "big bearded white guy" I think everyone expects to join these dark cult factions

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

That’s a fuckin match alright

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Gresham and Strickland are the two hottest free agents right now imo, and Chris Brooks but I doubt you'll get that lad out of Japan anytime soon.

Strickland's "3 Stages of Hell" match versus AR Fox in Lucha Underground is still one of my favourite matches. Just an absolute bloodbath.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/WillOspreay/status/1468275784032870401?s=20

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
They should just get the Laibach cover instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E72v6G9JHY

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

Erik Danielsson definitely is a "theistic Satanist", though I honestly have no loving idea what that means. I'm sure it is very serious and so forth but it still reeks of edgelord BM nonsense.
I mean, Gaahl shed all the literal mountaintop brooding, came out of the closet and became a fashion designer, and he used to be king poo poo of that stuff.

brian posted:

Feb 16th if it's a 90 day clause and he was let go on the day it was announced, I'm excited, he was one of the most impressive new indie guys around during his Evolve/pre WWE days, super well rounded and charismatic
I mostly know him from LU, but Killshot was fantastic. I don't know if WWE is doing anything with Cuerno, but he'd also be a huge get for AEW.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Queer Salutations posted:

Gresham and Strickland are the two hottest free agents right now imo, and Chris Brooks but I doubt you'll get that lad out of Japan anytime soon.

I mean Chris Brookes has been signed to DDT for nearly two years, p rude to DDT to call that free agency!!!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ganso Bomb posted:

Tony can afford the real deal

Can't believe D'Lo is All Elite.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Can't believe D'Lo is All Elite.

It's part of the Impact partnership

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

AEW is gonna need like four more shows to pack in all the people that folks here want them to sign

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Queer Salutations posted:

Strickland's "3 Stages of Hell" match versus AR Fox in Lucha Underground is still one of my favourite matches. Just an absolute bloodbath.

Where is AR Fox?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Lid posted:

Where is AR Fox?

Mostly running a wrestling school, I think he was Jade Cargill’s first trainer.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

gently caress yeah, Sideways is an awesome song.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Lars and Punk are tight, apparently Lars watches every bit of wrestling (indie, mainstream, whatever) he can get his hands on.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Lid posted:

http://www.xeva.com.mx/nota.cfm?id=162900

Villano IV has retired to open and run a candy shop.

This is funnier if you know from Bryan Alvarez that Villano IV's shoot job is a dentist.
Villano V is the dentist.

Still: Vertical integration!

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

MJFs Parents...

https://twitter.com/FriedmanNina/status/1468351861392654337?s=20

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

I love MJF's parents. Nothing says your parents support you like them telling the world you're an rear end in a top hat and they hate you.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
https://twitter.com/Mei_gtmv/status/1468385623388086276

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I remember when he was a skinny lil punk playing David Bowie music. I feel old as poo poo now.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/JANELABABY/status/1468392078677737472?t=HLj8zsY8rQytgVmdkAZh1A&s=19

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

lmfao they rule

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

https://twitter.com/JANELABABY/status/1468407796794224641?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is so wholesome. Parents lovingly supporting their son in his career by publicly calling him an arsehole.

Also, (and I may be very wrong on this), but I also think MJF's way of heeling it up around children, and the way he is just such a mean jerk to them is also wholesome in some weird way.

I hope it makes him happy the way he is so hated.