Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

Who would want to go back to that kind of libertarian hellscape when you had a sweet planet all to yourself to chill on?

If you leave the quarantine enforcement platform active your hideously astronomical debts become unenforceable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Just stay and then you and the lovely Margaritte can repopulate in your underwater utopia.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

LeschNyhan posted:

If you leave the quarantine enforcement platform active your hideously astronomical debts become unenforceable.
There was some log somewhere that talked about inheriting the debt of someone who had died. It's perfectly in line with what we know of Alterra that they'd find a way to collect on an astronomical debt.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Nukelear v.2 posted:

You do need to grab the VR fix mod to fix a number of things since the devs seemingly never play tested VR.

It's impressive that your view doesn't match up with the cursor. It can't be a difficult issue to fix, the only way I can see it getting into the final release is if literally nobody working on the game actually put on a VR headset to test it even once.

Seconding that it's the best way to play the game though. Once you get the mod that fixes all the obvious problems the only downside is that it makes the pop-in much more apparent. Not sure I've seen a good fix for that since it seems more like an underlying game engine issue, but the increased immersion is still worth it if you can ignore the technical issues.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
can I add mods to a existing vanilla run? The autosorter looks tempting

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

skipmyseashells posted:

can I add mods to a existing vanilla run? The autosorter looks tempting

In general yes, but I think the auto sorter specifically states not to.
Check their readme.

e: yeah their big red text says ' Not compatible with old saves'.

But others should be dandy.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 7, 2021

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
thanks lol, Ill finish my vanilla run and then give it another go modded out

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

skipmyseashells posted:

thanks lol, Ill finish my vanilla run and then give it another go modded out

At least throw the mod in that just plays radio messages instead of forcing you to go all the way back to base/drop pod from wherever you are.
That drove me up the wall.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Manager Hoyden posted:

Is playing on VR any good? Or is it just a tacked on perspective change

I played through the whole thing for my first time in VR and it's probably my fav VR game I've played

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really almost got my Prawn suit stuck inside the Alien Thermal Plant

The floor in there is extremely glitchy

Thankfully this game has more charming jank than the annoying kind

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

uXs posted:

It is. Don't read anything about it, just buy it and play.

A few caveats though: There is NO building or gathering of resources in Outer Wilds, so it's quite different from Subnautica in that regard.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah the discovery parts are essentially the point of Outer Wilds

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really almost got my Prawn suit stuck inside the Alien Thermal Plant

The floor in there is extremely glitchy

Thankfully this game has more charming jank than the annoying kind

This happens quite often.
Luckily you have the grappling hook to get you out of that situation.

And I think they never fixed it in BZ, they just dont allow you into any structure wearing it :D.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I had to use the jump jets to push me back to a part where it got un-stuck

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

My funniest glitch was having a sea dragon clip inside the final containment base and fly around the room with the respawning ion cubes shooting fireballs at me. Wish I got some screenshots, was funny as hell.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I did notice part of a sea dragon clipping through the thermal plant while i was inside it

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

My funniest glitch was having a sea dragon clip inside the final containment base and fly around the room with the respawning ion cubes shooting fireballs at me. Wish I got some screenshots, was funny as hell.

I had that one too. Was great when I was drilling the big cube and suddenly TENTACLES EVERYWHERE gently caress poo poo gently caress

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
My favorite was having a reaper clip under the map and grab me through the walls of a cave in the mountain biome.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I once bumped into the Cyclops, and it was teleported several kilometers away, far outside the map.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dyz posted:

My favorite was having a reaper clip under the map and grab me through the walls of a cave in the mountain biome.
Did you see it before that happened or was it out of nowhere

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Oasx posted:

I once bumped into the Cyclops, and it was teleported several kilometers away, far outside the map.

Did you swim out to retrieve it?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

My hardcore game is going great. Primary base is finished except for a nuclear reactor. Got my seamoth maxed out with 900 depth, sonar, and perimeter defense. Looted the Aurora. Bout to build the Prawn.

Next up is to go searching for Cyclops parts and the last couple blueprints from some of the trickier wrecks.

Then it’s lost river time…

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Did you see it before that happened or was it out of nowhere

It's head came out of the wall right before it grabbed me.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

My hardcore game is going great. Primary base is finished except for a nuclear reactor. Got my seamoth maxed out with 900 depth, sonar, and perimeter defense. Looted the Aurora. Bout to build the Prawn.

Next up is to go searching for Cyclops parts and the last couple blueprints from some of the trickier wrecks.

Then it’s lost river time…
I found a shitload of the Cyclops fragments in the Northeast Mushroom Forest right where I built my base. It's like right where the red sandy area meets the mushroom forest. They're all over that portion of the forest. I don't know if it's enough to complete the Cyclops blueprints, but it has to be close.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dyz posted:

It's head came out of the wall right before it grabbed me.
That's some nightmare fuel

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Saw that there was an update, but it turned out to be just them moving their troubleshooting guide off of Steam, for some unknown reason.
https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/steam-troubleshooting-guide/

WOnder if it has anything with them being bought by PubG?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

One of my funnier glitches was when I stupidly bred a sandshark and gasopod from eggs, and then released them right outside my base's door. Those fuckers stayed SO close to the base walls that they'd consistently clip through them.

Realizing they won't go away, even after quitting and reloading, even after sleeping and passing a bunch of time, I did what any player would do; I murdered the bastards.

Except then their dead bodies clipped into my base, but thankfully that only lasted for a day or so.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FlamingLiberal posted:

I found a shitload of the Cyclops fragments in the Northeast Mushroom Forest right where I built my base. It's like right where the red sandy area meets the mushroom forest. They're all over that portion of the forest. I don't know if it's enough to complete the Cyclops blueprints, but it has to be close.

You can complete just about everything except the Hull if you're ballsy enough to go explore the rear of the Aurora.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can complete just about everything except the Hull if you're ballsy enough to go explore the rear of the Aurora.

I went there earlier today for stuff and got rewarded with a leviathan killing me and blowing up my seamoth

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

skipmyseashells posted:

I went there earlier today for stuff and got rewarded with a leviathan killing me and blowing up my seamoth

Well clearly you weren't sufficiently ballsy :colbert:.

Seriously though; I actually found that if you just take a Seaglide there you can avoid that fucker if you stick close to the seabed while hunting for Cyclops fragments and scrap.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Need the Sea Moth bug zapper.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah that thing is useful

Honestly I think that some of the just below leviathan creatures are way more annoying than the big ones. Such as warpers, bonesharks, crabsquids, and lava lizards. Most of them are way more aggressive.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cartoon Man posted:

Need the Sea Moth bug zapper.
Remember that creature grapple type bites are on a do or die logic. Sometimes I see people complaining the defense module "Means you take no damage at all ever" and they have clearly just internalized waiting until after you are bit to zap. Because every time I ever tried charging up a big zap and fry their nose as they come at you, they just plow through anyways because beep boop must chomp and you sit there getting damaged waiting for the cooldown. While waiting until after a bite if I can't simply drive away fast enough works better :downs:

You can see a lesser version of this with the lava leeches, where they will shove their way into a spinning prawn drill and live long enough through the spray of blood to latch onto your cockpit with zero self preservation instinct.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 8, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh, might as well mention my take on the seatruck.

I didn't really like the Cyclops much, it was kinda more trouble than it's worth, and I made all the seatruck modules, but I never actually used more than one or two. Maybe the teleporter could've been handy, but I never worked it into my exploration routine. It's okay, not as good as the seamoth, but without the way that there was a lot less threats to the player did mean that it wasn't as necessary to get a quick getaway, so it evened out. I did end up using an exploit to de-aggro leviathans by stepping into the back of the seatruck, because I didn't really see how I would get past the nightmare leviathans otherwise.

The one thing that really annoyed me all the time was that the seatruck has a small hitbox for getting inside of it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You just zap them with the personal defense system the truck has. If you're fast on the fingers and know the timing, you take literally zero damage.

I still preferred the cyclops as it had a huge "stocking up, going on an adventure!" vibe to it.

Bringing up the differences in the ending is a great point; the first game's conclusion with building a rocket was... joyous? empowering? totally voluntary and showing self-determination? And the gift canister was a great touch. While the second game was a bit disjointed, for various reasons.

Did the team ever say if they where dissolving, or doing a new project or anything?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Serephina posted:

Did the team ever say if they where dissolving, or doing a new project or anything?

They got bought at some point and have only said they're working on 'something new' so who knows.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

They're also taking a look at completely unifying the underlying code and engine of both games, so that updates can happen more frequently and be more similar.

I'm hoping that leads to more QoL updates. I still haven't played BZ, but that's the base they want to use for the original as well.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

OgNar posted:

And I think they never fixed it in BZ, they just dont allow you into any structure wearing it :D.

Oh, so that's why I had to whip up a new body for my headmate Al in a hurry whilst those thrice-cursed aggressive neon vagina dentata leviathans were merrily nibbling on my PRAWN suit right out side the entrance.

e: Subnautica 1's ending ties the themes into a neat bow, with your survival assured at the same time as your only friend capable of communication, the last of the old Sea Emperors, passes away.
BZ has you go on a joyride with your new horsie friend. Whether or not you actually figured out what happened to your sister gets, uh, forgotten. You don't even have the option to jettison/keep her necklace or something.

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 9, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Below Zero's story was so strange. They stuff the game full of characters and set up a bunch of plot points, but everything but the alien friend parts are skippable, go nowhere, and have zero effect on the game. Spoilers for sister chat: the whole corporate conspiracy setup about her investigating the alien bacteria has no conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I never figured out where everyone went in BZ, did they all leave because of one death?
Did somehow everyone die and I just never found that tablet?