Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rinkles posted:

Yup. When I asked in the CPU threads, I was told to repaste because else there'd be air pockets. Which might not matter, but better to be safe than sorry kind of thing.

Yeah it matters, you can have really uneven heat transfer due to bubbles or air pockets. Generally once you get the heatsink down don't pick it back up unless you want to clean both and repaste it. I know that in your situation you had to because some of the mounting wasn't right, though. Generally if it turns or slides slightly while getting into position that is okay since it's not adding bubbles. The final screw turns of the mounting hardware will give the pressure to cause the final squeeze/spread of the paste.

Similarly if you're removing a heatsink that's been on for a while the paste will be fairly dry but you want to try to turn the heatsink slightly to break it free a bit before lifting up. A lot of folks have pulled their CPUs out of the ZIF sockets which don't have a retention mechanism like the LGA ones. It can bend or break the pins of the CPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

These are the cheapest 140s I've seen, and if I'm not mistaken be quiet makes quality fans

be quiet! Pure Wings 2 140mm PWM - $13 $8 [Newegg]

Thoughts on 3 x 120 versus 2 x 140 on the front grill? Not that I think that I need the change. Honestly, I'm more worried about dust than thermals atm. There's plenty in there already after just two or so weeks of use.

Be Quiet's "Silent Wings 3" fans are pretty decent, but I don't trust their "Pure Wings 2." They seem kinda lovely, ngl.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That 3060 Ti barebones is pretty decent. NZXT's 3070 BLD kit seems like it may be a better deal than micro center's 3070 barebones: https://nzxt.com/product/bld-kit-streaming-plus-pc (+$50 for the cheapest shipping option though... meh)

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

watched the gamersnexus vid on ESD wrist straps and was confused about grounding

can I clip the ESD wrist strap onto the bare metal case of a plugged in PC whether it's turned on or off and be properly grounded? can I ground myself to a turned on PC while working on a separate unplugged PC?

the only thing I should obviously not do is work on the internals of a PC that is turned on?

the only real danger of grounding yourself to a turned off PC you are working on is it accidentally turning on?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yes, you will have a path to ground (the strap -> the case -> the ground wire in the PSU -> ground) that isn't going through your components. it's best to work on the machine with the power switch off for other pragmatic reasons i think.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I'm hearing that 3090 step up is like...a day now

so if you have the ability to step up and want an EVGA 3090 now is your time

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

watched the gamersnexus vid on ESD wrist straps and was confused about grounding

can I clip the ESD wrist strap onto the bare metal case of a plugged in PC whether it's turned on or off and be properly grounded? can I ground myself to a turned on PC while working on a separate unplugged PC?

the only thing I should obviously not do is work on the internals of a PC that is turned on?

the only real danger of grounding yourself to a turned off PC you are working on is it accidentally turning on?

You should never be working on a PC that is plugged in, even with the power switch off. The risk there is much greater (not just to your components, but to your health) than that of ESD.

Grounding yourself to a separate plugged in PC would be valid.

If you are genuinely worried about ESD, buy an actual kit that plugs into the ground on an outlet. Honestly though, as long as youre avoiding working on carpet and arent wearing a full nylon tracksuit you should be fine with your single PC build or repair even if you dont ground.

Static Care ESD Mat Workstation Ground Kit - 15' Common Point with Banana Plug, Universal Snap Kit, Banana Plug Adapter, 6' Coil Cord with Alligator Clip, Black Fabric Wrist Band 4mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B2NVK5R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_V51839KQN2AVZHP7ASXT

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's super super regional. if you're in a cold dry country you need them much more than if you're in wet england, i've found. also, i've always heard use it while plugged in but the PSU switch is off, ymmv.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CoolCab posted:

it's super super regional. if you're in a cold dry country you need them much more than if you're in wet england, i've found. also, i've always heard use it while plugged in but the PSU switch is off, ymmv.

Yes, dry air makes static transfer much more likely. You can somewhat mitigate it with good, low grease lotion, but its still worse.

Risk is just too great with a plugged in system IMO.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

ok I'll refrain from working on a plugged system which is what I've always done in the past

never cared about ESD in the past but I might as well since it's so cheap

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CoolCab posted:

, i've always heard use it while plugged in but the PSU switch is off, ymmv.

Might as well work on it while taking a bath, then. Computer-grade PSUs can kill.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

ok I'll refrain from working on a plugged system which is what I've always done in the past

never cared about ESD in the past but I might as well since it's so cheap

To be clear, I dont ground myself at all when working on my stuff, outside of avoiding carpet and synthetic clothing/my work surface.

Just posting to show smarter, safer, alternatives.

Edit:

This is an old GN article, but it does advocate for the plugged in, switched off PSU method.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/920-electrostatic-discharge-prevent-esd

Personally, I dont find the minimal electrocution risk worth it, but people can take from this what they will.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 8, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Be Quiet's "Silent Wings 3" fans are pretty decent, but I don't trust their "Pure Wings 2." They seem kinda lovely, ngl.

I have Pure Wings in my PC, they're perfectly fine fans.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Rinkles posted:

I took pictures of the cooler plate when I first took off the cooler because I wanted to ask about repasting. But looking at the photo today, I noticed some marks along the sides.

This is probably just a cosmetic defect, not some other contact with the motherboard, right?

Go look at pictures of the motherboard at the manufacturer's website. There's probably enough of them from different angles that you can evaluate if there are anything the heat sink could touch. I would expect not, there should be design specifications for the heat sing manufacturer to follow that avoid that problem.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Saukkis posted:

Go look at pictures of the motherboard at the manufacturer's website. There's probably enough of them from different angles that you can evaluate if there are anything the heat sink could touch. I would expect not, there should be design specifications for the heat sing manufacturer to follow that avoid that problem.

Noctua specifically mentions some AMD board manufacturers not following the specs for spacing AMD laid out and that there could be issues with overheight ram, but other than that IDK.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I might buy a prebuilt because I want to game.... Just missed out on a local 3060 Ti drop and I have too much poo poo to do to be able to hop in the car and rush to the store (they don't do online ordering for GPUs right now) every time discord shouts at me about it

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

I feel dirty because this computer has a lovely case and a lousy motherboard, but it has graphics, and I want to game

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

For real though, it really is much easer and less back-breakingly painful to get a new GPU if you are building/buying a whole new system compared to if you're just upgrading. Getting a prebuilt is a valid option in this market, and there's also stuff like Micro Center's barebones kits, NZXT's "BLD" kits, and newegg's PC builder service (which can be a temperamental son of a bitchit was working fine last night but today it's showing no "hot item" GPUs in stock)

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Ok nevermind I found a 3060 from Zotac. I don't know if it's going to run hot or break immediately but whatever.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

whats the best 650-750 psus nowadays?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I need a SATA power cable for my modular PSU, but I can't figure out which one to get. The one I'm looking for has 4 SATA power connectors like this: https://www.newegg.com/p/284-035G-00010?Item=9SIB2C9FMS8309

But of course it needs to match my PSU, which is a Great Wall E750 750W listed here: https://www.sincerytek.com/product/Great-Wall-E750-80plus-Gold-Modular-PSU.html

I'm having a hard time finding any information about Great Wall. They're a Chinese company, and I would think the internals are a rebrand of another company whose replacement cables are the ones I should buy? I can't find Great Wall listed in any pinout compatibility lists, or any power supply cables branded under them.

I could do molex to sata adapter, but I have heard that is potentially unsafe. This video was pretty convincing to me that these failures can only occur with a certain type of cable, but since it can potentially cause a fire, I'd appreciate a second opinion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TataDaUNEFc

Basically, since my adapters are the type that have the metal inserts which keep the wires properly spaced, I should have no threat of fire, right? This would be the best option since I already own some of these.

Another option would be a SATA power splitter, do those cause problems? Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Power-Splitter-Adapter-PYO4SATA/dp/B0086OGN9E

Thanks for any help

A Bag of Milk fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Dec 8, 2021

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

You have to look specifically for the "Hot Item" GPUs.

Those in the red box. There's actually a 3070 there for $750 and a 3080 for $1100 right now. These prices aren't great, but they're better than scalper prices (though the ones in stock right now are kinda close once you add in the cost of the service and a windows key, which they make you pay full price for). The UI is kind of buggy for some reason though, so some items that qualify for the PC builder service don't show up, and some "hot item" GPUs also don't show up. You may have to mess with the filters a bit to see everything. And you can add 12th gen intel CPUs and motherboards to your build before you pick a GPU but not after for some reason. Why? No idea.

edit: A few days ago, they allowed you to pick from like 100 different cases once you had the assembly service filter set. today it's 13. it's comical how bad and inconsistent this implementation is. edit 2: also pick the SSD before the GPU. I recommend the 670p. $80 for 1TB, with specs that cost over $120 until recently.

I totally missed that hot item designation. Id swear that it didnt show up at all when Ive looked before, because now its a little obvious. I could also have just been oblivious. Thanks for pointing it out for me.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

A Bag of Milk posted:

I need a SATA power cable for my modular PSU, but I can't figure out which one to get. The one I'm looking for has 4 SATA power connectors like this: https://www.newegg.com/p/284-035G-00010?Item=9SIB2C9FMS8309

But of course it needs to match my PSU, which is a Great Wall E750 750W listed here: https://www.sincerytek.com/product/Great-Wall-E750-80plus-Gold-Modular-PSU.html

I'm having a hard time finding any information about Great Wall. They're a Chinese company, and I would think the internals are a rebrand of another company whose replacement cables are the ones I should buy? I can't find Great Wall listed in any pinout compatibility lists, or any power supply cables branded under them.

I could do molex to sata adapter, but I have heard that is potentially unsafe. This video was pretty convincing to me that these failures can only occur with a certain type of cable, but since it can potentially cause a fire, I'd appreciate a second opinion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TataDaUNEFc

Basically, since my adapters are the type that have the metal inserts which keep the wires properly spaced, I should have no threat of fire, right? This would be the best option since I already own some of these.

Another option would be a SATA power splitter, do those cause problems? Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Power-Splitter-Adapter-PYO4SATA/dp/B0086OGN9E

Thanks for any help

Generally we avoid these kinds of PSUs in the thread because sketchy unknown sourced hardware that supplies that much power is scary. Id be replacing the entire PSU personally.

But if thats not an option for you, those sata splitters are totally fine. IIRC each sata connector on the PSU side can run something like 8-12 HDDs (and SSDs use even less power. )

This is what I have in my system

Cable Matters 2-Pack 15 Pin SATA to 4 SATA Power Splitter Cable - 18 Inches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012BPLW08/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_K9YN20RFHE8JP4ZXM7T2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Cable matters makes decent stuff.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Generally we avoid these kinds of PSUs in the thread because sketchy unknown sourced hardware that supplies that much power is scary. I’d be replacing the entire PSU personally.

But if that’s not an option for you, those sata splitters are totally fine. IIRC each sata connector on the PSU side can run something like 8-12 HDDs (and SSDs use even less power. )

Neat, good to know. My PSU came with enough SATA connectors, but I'd probably run out if I added another drive and some RGB crap.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I'm currently rocking an i5-8400 and RX580, mostly for gaming/shitposting at 1080p. I have a non-gaming level monitor that only does 60hz. I want to step up to at least a 1440p high-refresh monitor within the next six months or so. Should I:

1.) Upgrade CPU? I have a B360 board which I understand is only compatible with up to 9th gen Intel processors.
2.) Upgrade GPU? (LOL)
3.) Save up for a whole new build.

I'm leaning to 3 just because I imagine that's what everyone will tell me, but I just wanted to know if the 8400 or 580 were holding me back enough at 1080 that it would be worth upgrading.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the 580 is, definitely. an 8400 isn't a spring chicken, six threads is starting to get rough in some titles but i would still expect adequate performance, but a 1650 super equivalant sure ain't pushing 1440p, sorry bud. it's the desert of the GPU for you :(

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

My mind is boggled by the going eBay prices for my 5700xt red devil (purchased in the Before Times) and Im considering trying to sell it and spend the proceeds on a 3070 lhr, which is going for roughly the same amount (I dont mine, obviously). Is this just a stupid waste of time and potential money given the risk I get scammed?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

buffalo all day posted:

My mind is boggled by the going eBay prices for my 5700xt red devil (purchased in the Before Times) and Im considering trying to sell it and spend the proceeds on a 3070 lhr, which is going for roughly the same amount (I dont mine, obviously). Is this just a stupid waste of time and potential money given the risk I get scammed?

Nah, there are tons of buyer protections in place on Ebay (and Paypal if you go the Reddit route).

They'll each take a cut but you're pretty likely to get your money back if things go sideways

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Generally we avoid these kinds of PSUs in the thread because sketchy unknown sourced hardware that supplies that much power is scary. I’d be replacing the entire PSU personally.

But if that’s not an option for you, those sata splitters are totally fine. IIRC each sata connector on the PSU side can run something like 8-12 HDDs (and SSDs use even less power. )

This is what I have in my system

Cable Matters 2-Pack 15 Pin SATA to 4 SATA Power Splitter Cable - 18 Inches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012BPLW08/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_K9YN20RFHE8JP4ZXM7T2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Cable matters makes decent stuff.

Thanks for the reply. I think I will go for those splitters since they are cheap and my most reliable option. The power supply is an unknown brand, but that model is rated in high tier in the ltt forum PSU hierarchy list, so someone at least poked around the insides or tested it and thought it was good.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Just chiming in because I noticed that some absolute yahoo a few pages back described the classic noctua fans as looking "objectively bad" and I can only assume that's a typo and they meant "objectively rad" because they make your computer look slick as gently caress, like a hi-fi from the 1970's or an item of clothing worn by a jazz professor

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

The Grumbles posted:

Just chiming in because I noticed that some absolute yahoo a few pages back described the classic noctua fans as looking "objectively bad" and I can only assume that's a typo and they meant "objectively rad" because they make your computer look slick as gently caress, like a hi-fi from the 1970's or an item of clothing worn by a jazz professor

:same:

Need to paint a case to match at some point.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anywhere have good or passable 3.5" disk benchmarks for sequential read? I'd like to have some kind of single drive, fast-ish internal bulk storage for video editing but haven't found a good list of sequential speed tests that aren't from the 2TB drive era. Ideally it'd be something in the 8TB+ range.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

CoolCab posted:

the 580 is, definitely. an 8400 isn't a spring chicken, six threads is starting to get rough in some titles but i would still expect adequate performance, but a 1650 super equivalant sure ain't pushing 1440p, sorry bud. it's the desert of the GPU for you :(

Sort of what I figured, thanks for the reply. I'll probably just end up saving up for a whole new system at this point as upgrading piecemeal seems like very much a "if you give a mouse a cookie" scenario at this point.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

The Grumbles posted:

Samuel L Jackson wouldn't use RGB.

Well, maybe purple.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Previa_fun posted:

I'm currently rocking an i5-8400 and RX580, mostly for gaming/shitposting at 1080p. I have a non-gaming level monitor that only does 60hz. I want to step up to at least a 1440p high-refresh monitor within the next six months or so. Should I:

1.) Upgrade CPU? I have a B360 board which I understand is only compatible with up to 9th gen Intel processors.
2.) Upgrade GPU? (LOL)
3.) Save up for a whole new build.

I'm leaning to 3 just because I imagine that's what everyone will tell me, but I just wanted to know if the 8400 or 580 were holding me back enough at 1080 that it would be worth upgrading.

You can absolutely upgrade just the GPU and get a good 1440p experience right now. I used an 8400 with a 5700XT, and the only game I was CPU bottlenecked in in a significant way was Flight Simulator. When I upgraded to a 5600X a year ago, I didn't exactly get large performance boosts anywhere else (and even flight simulator wasn't that big).

But that's still a 4 year old CPU, so I would look at doing a whole system upgrade. Games in a couple years will likely demand more from your CPU than the games of the last few years have, and you'll want something better than an 8400.

edit: Also, just to be clear, going up in resolution actually uses fewer CPU resources. How many frames per second your GPU is attempting to render is typically what determines how hard your CPU has to work when gaming. The more frames per second, the harder it has to work. Since higher resolutions = lower frame rates, that means that higher resolution also = less need for a powerful CPU. That said, 1440p isn't that much higher than 1080p, and some poorly optimized games end up CPU bottlenecked at just 120fps or so even on more powerful CPUs (looking at Far Cry 6...). But still, if you can somehow find a decent deal on a GPU (good luck), grab that sucker asap--no need to do it all at once.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 8, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

You can absolutely upgrade just the GPU and get a good 1440p experience right now. I used an 8400 with a 5700XT, and the only game I was CPU bottlenecked in in a significant way was Flight Simulator. When I upgraded to a 5600X a year ago, I didn't exactly get large performance boosts anywhere else (and even flight simulator wasn't that big).

But that's still a 4 year old CPU, so I would look at doing a whole system upgrade. Games in a couple years will likely demand more from your CPU than the games of the last few years have, and you'll want something better than an 8400.

edit: Also, just to be clear, going up in resolution actually uses fewer CPU resources. How many frames per second your GPU is attempting to render is typically what determines how hard your CPU has to work when gaming. The more frames per second, the harder it has to work. Since higher resolutions = lower frame rates, that means that higher resolution also = less need for a powerful CPU. That said, 1440p isn't that much higher than 1080p, and some poorly optimized games end up CPU bottlenecked at just 120fps or so even on more powerful CPUs (looking at Far Cry 6...). But still, if you can somehow find a decent deal on a GPU (good luck), grab that sucker asap--no need to do it all at once.

Im fighting this right now with Destiny 2. CPU bottlenecked right around 120fps with a 7700k/3080 and getting very mad I cant get it smoothed out.

I even pushed it to 5ghz (thankfully my cooling is good and I can be lazy and not delid) and it barely helped.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Did you try out Fallout 4 by any chance? That's been the most impressive performance boost going from a 6400 to a 11600K. The average FPS might have been okay before, but it was a much more bumpy 60fps. I don't have benchmarks, but the game now seems to run better at 1440p than it used to at 1080p. The STALKER flashlight mod was always an issue (but worth it, imo), now it's fine or there's enough of a performance buffer for it to not matter as much.

Overall, I've been happy with the performance gains (I was a bit worried I was spending $650 on nothing). I can use settings a tier higher than before, and/or get higher, more stable framerates.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm getting a 3060 tomorrow and I'm wondering what'd make sense to build up if I do put together a new system. From what I'm looking at, seems like the 5600 and 5800 chips aren't THAT far off from the 12600k even factoring in the pricy motherboards. Is there are a lesser AMD build that'd still be a worthwhile upgrade? For reference I'm on a 2600k right now.

At the other end of the spectrum I'm wondering if I should just go for a 12700k considering the longevity I got out of my current build. I know it'd be overkill for the card it's attached to, but for work the extra power might be nice till I upgrade my Mac someday.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
If your work needs more cores and performance then yeah sure go for an alder lake CPU, however anything would be a huge upgrade over your 2600k and as you rightly say the 3060 is going to be the gaming bottleneck in your system regardless of what modern CPU you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

powderific posted:

I'm getting a 3060 tomorrow and I'm wondering what'd make sense to build up if I do put together a new system. From what I'm looking at, seems like the 5600 and 5800 chips aren't THAT far off from the 12600k even factoring in the pricy motherboards. Is there are a lesser AMD build that'd still be a worthwhile upgrade? For reference I'm on a 2600k right now.

At the other end of the spectrum I'm wondering if I should just go for a 12700k considering the longevity I got out of my current build. I know it'd be overkill for the card it's attached to, but for work the extra power might be nice till I upgrade my Mac someday.

In a 3060 build your choices should be

5600x

Any should be fine, so Id go based on what price you can get stuff for.

12700k isnt gonna do you any good here.