Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Question: I have inherited some cloud networks that were set up by horribly overworked employees and vendors of some absolute garbage-tier software, so I don't trust them to be configured anywhere close to securely. If I have time, is there a reason not to nmap every single one of them just basically as a security audit? Keep an eye out for ports that shouldn't be open, devices that we don't have in our inventory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Question: I have inherited some cloud networks that were set up by horribly overworked employees and vendors of some absolute garbage-tier software, so I don't trust them to be configured anywhere close to securely. If I have time, is there a reason not to nmap every single one of them just basically as a security audit? Keep an eye out for ports that shouldn't be open, devices that we don't have in our inventory?

Yeah dude run an external nmap. I've used hackertarget to scan once a day and send an email about any changes

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

skipdogg posted:

I just feel this thread can set some unrealistic expectations sometimes, and for the lurkers and other non-regulars we should maybe try to temper those. Sometimes we make it seem like there's just 150K a year jobs out there everywhere to be had and if you're not making figgies well you are less than, or you shouldn't need a resume because people are bombarding your inbox with job offers. Those things happen, but they're not the norm.

I joined this forum over 15 years ago (so old). Like I was a stupid kid doing desktop support. A lot of us are well into our careers at this point and it shows. Everyone has to start somewhere, important to keep in mind.

I will say that these threads have been hugely beneficial to my career as well. I got a lot of advice over the years, and seeing other people be successful doing similar work was always helpful in motivating me to take that next cert of get into something I thought was over my head.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Agrikk posted:

VoIP in the home question:

A few months ago we terminated our landline, figuring we'd all use our cell phones. I'm the only one who is in the home full-time anymore and I've discovered the cell phone coverage in my office is crap.

So now I'm wondering if it's possible to set up VoIP in my house (rather than just getting a landline again). Is there a method for doing this for free?

When you say "landline", do you mean actual copper wires? I know Verizon would be perfectly happy to sell me VoIP service through the fiber, and it'd bill probably about the same. But I have good cell signal, and I turned on wifi calling within my phone.

skipdogg posted:

Oh I agree 100% thats the goal

I just feel this thread can set some unrealistic expectations sometimes, and for the lurkers and other non-regulars we should maybe try to temper those. Sometimes we make it seem like there's just 150K a year jobs out there everywhere to be had and if you're not making figgies well you are less than, or you shouldn't need a resume because people are bombarding your inbox with job offers. Those things happen, but they're not the norm.

That's very true. I'm doing well for myself because I've worked hard and gotten lucky. I know my poo poo (Windows, AD, Infrastructural Azure), and I can demonstrate it with hard numbers and specific examples. I'm also obviously a cishet WASP man, and my picture on LinkedIn shows that. With ~20 years of experience, I'm got a comfortable, good income. That hasn't always been the case. My goal has been to offer a hand to those behind me and show where they can be, not trying to brag about how great I currently am. Do I always succeed? Probably not. But it's good to explicitly state that objective, I think.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It probably won't hurt, but I'd be more concerned about intentional back-doors the vendors may have created. They may be well-intentioned, but that doesn't mean they're secure or a good idea. For Azure, I'd go over Conditional Access Policies and their associated exceptions, as well as network access policies applied to VMs, vNets, and services. Not sure what the associated concepts are on AWS.

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 7, 2021

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yeah, I was gifted this account from a co-worker back when I was making 13 bucks an hour doing DSL tech support. Shoutout to my former 2Wire peeps if there are any left around here.

I turned 40 this year. :smith:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

This AWS business is lasting real long, basically the entire workday. How many of their 'nines' are going to be affected by this and I wonder about the contractual liability?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Inner Light posted:

This AWS business is lasting real long, basically the entire workday. How many of their 'nines' are going to be affected by this and I wonder about the contractual liability?

More like nine fives, amirite?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm impressed with the amount of services that have imploded as a result.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I joined this forum over 15 years ago (so old). Like I was a stupid kid doing desktop support. A lot of us are well into our careers at this point and it shows. Everyone has to start somewhere, important to keep in mind.

I will say that these threads have been hugely beneficial to my career as well. I got a lot of advice over the years, and seeing other people be successful doing similar work was always helpful in motivating me to take that next cert of get into something I thought was over my head.

I find threads like these now are immensely helpful, but the rest of the forums maybe not so conducive to hard work or career planning lol. I was a literal child in high school when I joined and spent a LOT of time on here and various IRC channels.

At least for me, I didn't start really taking my career seriously until I was nearly 30. And outside of some setbacks of being let go out of the blue from two of my last 3 jobs it's been a lot of fun and has made me wish I would have just put this work in when I was younger. But, I had no plans, aspirations, interests, hobbies, or anything out of high school and for like 5-7 years. Just coasting and failing school many times, think I'm on school number 5 or 6 and it's finally clicked. But I do also think that the struggles we go through with ourselves as we grow up are what lead us to where we are at when we're happy. Sure, I might not enjoy my job now but I have completed a half dozen professional certs, nearly done with college, and finally have some motivation to better my life even outside of my professions. I thought for so long I just was never going to do school or certs and I'd be fine.

For the first time in my life I am seeing the fruits of my labor, and have a career path starting to take shape. But, it's really loving hard to undo all of the past bad habits I had lived with for my life. I think though it'll just help me teach it to my kids though as my parents didn't push me too hard. Either way, I am very appreciative of the advice posted here. A lot of you are fantastic people and I hope I can be that sort of person to others as well.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

At least for me, I didn't start really taking my career seriously until I was nearly 30. And outside of some setbacks of being let go out of the blue from two of my last 3 jobs it's been a lot of fun and has made me wish I would have just put this work in when I was younger. But, I had no plans, aspirations, interests, hobbies, or anything out of high school and for like 5-7 years. Just coasting and failing school many times, think I'm on school number 5 or 6 and it's finally clicked. But I do also think that the struggles we go through with ourselves as we grow up are what lead us to where we are at when we're happy. Sure, I might not enjoy my job now but I have completed a half dozen professional certs, nearly done with college, and finally have some motivation to better my life even outside of my professions. I thought for so long I just was never going to do school or certs and I'd be fine.

For the first time in my life I am seeing the fruits of my labor, and have a career path starting to take shape. But, it's really loving hard to undo all of the past bad habits I had lived with for my life. I think though it'll just help me teach it to my kids though as my parents didn't push me too hard. Either way, I am very appreciative of the advice posted here. A lot of you are fantastic people and I hope I can be that sort of person to others as well.

For the most part this is the path that I’m currently on. School didn’t click for me till 29/30 and I’ll be finishing with that now in June. As far as the IT stuff goes I feel like I lucked out and got a job with the school I’m at doing helpdesk work.

It’s fun sometimes when I get to mess with real stuff but a lot of it is just like password resets and stupid stuff with projectors or printers and that does drag it down. Hell today I’m fried with all the folks asking me for stuff when I’m trying to get other things worked on.

It’s one of those things I just chalk up to “paying my dues” to some degree. I really need to buckle down and stop thinking I need to graduate first before getting certs. I’m being extremely lazy about that. Don’t want to stay in a helpdesk role forever.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Agrikk posted:

A few months ago we terminated our landline, figuring we'd all use our cell phones. I'm the only one who is in the home full-time anymore and I've discovered the cell phone coverage in my office is crap.

So now I'm wondering if it's possible to set up VoIP in my house (rather than just getting a landline again). Is there a method for doing this for free?

I'm a 3CX fan so that's what I'm gonna recommend as I believe they still have a permanent free tier of some sort and as I recall you have a full rack of equipment hanging out for side gigs so spinning up a Debian instance would be a piece of cake (3CX in fact has an ISO that fires the 3CX install after installing Debian, though they're still using Debian 10). You'd need a SIP trunk which isn't necessarily gonna be free but to be quite frank I don't think it's a worthwhile use of time to try and get free SIP trunking from somewhere - most providers charge a dollar a month for a DID and the usage cost is fractions of pennies unless you're calling international. I use Flowroute for mine and last I checked the autoreimbursement for $30 (after balance drops below $20) was hitting maybe once a year.

edit: yeah Standard remains free perpetually - https://www.3cx.com/phone-system/

edit2: and I still like having a physical desk phone so I use a Yealink T46 with Plantronics DECT headset, but 3CX actually has come to the point where the DESK phones are the second class citizens and the most functionality is in the Windows desktop application or the web client, so a decent USB headset should do fine for your needs if you don't want to set up a voice VLAN (and firewall off the phone from China).

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 7, 2021

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Agrikk posted:

WiFi calling? Should be a setting on your phone already.

quote:

Wi-Fi Calling is a service for Android and iOS smartphones providing the ability to make and receive phone calls over a Wi-Fi connection. It's simple to use with no separate application or log-in required. Wi-Fi calling is a free service when calling to a U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, or Puerto Rico number.

From Verizon

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I'll pile onto the tugfest (sorry for the vulgarity been watching a lot of Succession) and this thread is one of the best career resources I've encountered on the internet. I feel welcome to come in here with any manner of dumb question or sensitive important topic and know that I'll come out of it with a thoughtful discussion. Thanks for being you, everybody.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/kiwapebretech/status/1468372987107692545?s=20

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

skipdogg posted:

Yeah, I was gifted this account from a co-worker back when I was making 13 bucks an hour doing DSL tech support. Shoutout to my former 2Wire peeps if there are any left around here.

I turned 40 this year. :smith:

I wasn't 2Wire, but I started off similar. DSL tech support for Verizon after dropping out of college. Now I'm in InfoSec, still lacking a college degree. I turn 36 next year.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You all make this such a great thread. Thank you to everyone who calls it home. I really don't know what I would do without it.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Internet Explorer posted:

You all make this such a great thread. Thank you to everyone who calls it home. I really don't know what I would do without it.

Your ugly and have a small penis.

E: That was supposed to be a dm.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 8, 2021

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wizard of the Deep posted:

It probably won't hurt, but I'd be more concerned about intentional back-doors the vendors may have created. They may be well-intentioned, but that doesn't mean they're secure or a good idea. For Azure, I'd go over Conditional Access Policies and their associated exceptions, as well as network access policies applied to VMs, vNets, and services. Not sure what the associated concepts are on AWS.

That's a good idea, I'll check on those as well. One vendor at least has an account to access the relevant sections, which nobody is happy about but we can't just migrate to something else at the drop of a hat.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Thanks for all of the responses about VoIP, folks.

I think thirty year old me would have loved a new project to set up a telephony system, but fifty year old me said "Oh! WiFi calling! Right!"

Also, anyone want to purchase a us-east-1? Qty one (1). Non-functioning. For parts only.

It's been a hell of a day, yes. Thanks for asking.

Inner Light posted:

I'm pretty sure AWS doesn't offer contracts with stipulations about liability for uptime. There's that whole "design for failure" thing that AWS espouses so freely.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Same. I'm cranky sometimes but appreciate you all a lot.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I attribute my career to this thread, straight up.

Thanks, goons. Going on 9 years now, for better or worse I enjoy working for an MSP much more than others here apparently have.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

As long as your happy that’s what’s important. What’s right for one person doesn’t have to be right for you.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Coolnezzz posted:

I attribute my career to this thread, straight up.

Thanks, goons. Going on 9 years now, for better or worse I enjoy working for an MSP much more than others here apparently have.

There are good MSPs and bad MSPs. In my experience, the difference is made in the quality of product they're trying to offer, from blue chip to just good enough that the suckers feel like they're getting something for their money, and the quality of the people you directly report to.
All of the bosses are scum.

Also chiming in as a person who started out a long time ago doing outsourced tech support for Belkin and BFG at a lovely call center and is now eyeing a director role with no college: this thread is fantastic. Not only full of helpful people and community, but gives the range of the IT worker experience, which can be hard to have any real context for in the grand scheme of things.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I can be ignored for the rest of the thread forever if you only take 1 thing from me. Imaginary tlds with your own made up CA is a loving bad idea and you should never ever do it. I loving beg you. Just pay the $10 and buy a real domain and cert. please.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jaegerx posted:

I can be ignored for the rest of the thread forever if you only take 1 thing from me. Imaginary tlds with your own made up CA is a loving bad idea and you should never ever do it. I loving beg you. Just pay the $10 and buy a real domain and cert. please.

.local and .internal 4eva!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

skipdogg posted:

.local and .internal 4eva!

I’ll scoop out your eyeballs with a melon baller

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

jaegerx posted:

and never loving ever do split horizon DNS

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

jaegerx posted:

Who the gently caress even understands this? Certainly not the folks I work with. What even is domain ownership? What the gently caress is split-brain DNS? I think that's the marketing dept's responsibility!

*public website goes down*

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

luminalflux posted:

and never loving ever do split horizon DNS

Fuckin jinx.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

jaegerx posted:

Yea.

We do this and I hate it to my core. I have spent way too many hours dealing with containers and code not trusting our CA and all the annoying ways to fix it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

. local and .internal were "best practices" for so long. We are all going to be dealing with that poo poo until the day we die.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

. local and .internal were "best practices" for so long. We are all going to be dealing with that poo poo until the day we die.

Recent find in the field was a "corp.domain.local" in use. Some folks follow things to the letter I guess.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

What's best practice now?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Flip side is the utter atomization of domain names into something like foo.bar.smell.region.provider.dev.internal.dev-company-name.io

And having to deal with ssl certs to cover all the nonsense. And then people getting really upset if the dev domain isn’t on the prod servers for stupid reasons.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

scott zoloft posted:

What's best practice now?

Keeping all your DNS records in one authoritative location?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

jaegerx posted:

My balls are still on fire and I don't have a plan for putting them out

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We had a .local for ages but about 15 years ago we moved our domain to a .com when we purchased two other companies.

Now I’m telling our AWS team to use AWS certs and gently caress off with bugging me about GoDaddy certs.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CloFan posted:

My balls are still on fire and I don't have a plan for putting them out

You need a therapist

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’m guilty of deploying .local in my msp days, but that was in the time it was still best practice

My last job did the thing where their ad domain and primary website were the same, which was occasionally infuriating

Current job does the addomain.company.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Santa is making a list and checking it twice and three times in this thread, none of you are getting Christmas bonuses.