Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Oh poo poo, looks like the appraisal is at/above our offer.

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

drat, imagine living where you don't have to waive the appraisal.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Injuryprone posted:

https://insurify.com/insights/states-with-the-most-competitive-real-estate-markets-2021/

I guess yeah, we weren't looking in Washington.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Injuryprone posted:

Woooooo gently caress my state. I can never sell in Seattle because I'll never be able to re-enter the market. Good thing I like my tiny rear end house :|

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I'm surprised CA is only 8th, but maybe that's because so many have already been priced out?? i have no idea

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Magicaljesus posted:

That's usually how escalation clauses end up, since you've disclosed your max offer and the seller usually is under no obligation to disclose the other offers. But maybe that's how it would have shaken out anyway. Congrats and condolences!

Depends on how they go about it. By the letter of the contracts here, they could sign the PSA as you've offered, then they'd be legally obligated to show you the next highest offer otherwise the contract defaults to the unescalated price. This is apparently never done in practice for a variety of reasons, and they either just do a straight counter offer or send the next highest offer and ask you to amend your offer to the escalated amount.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

I guess Vermont is competitive with people who can work remote and don't mind lack of services? There's not a lot going on for local employment, and the ones there underpay. Ask me how I know!

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Just put in my first offer in San Diego. About to see how brutal it is here.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

gwrtheyrn posted:

... they either just do a straight counter offer or send the next highest offer and ask you to amend your offer to the escalated amount.

I've only heard of counteroffers to escalation clause offers, but I'm sure there are exceptions that prompt disclosure of the next highest offer. I can't knock the escalation clause, as it's how I got my current home and works for many, but it's good to be honest about what it actually is. :iiam:

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Oh, the seller accepted my counter-offer. Hopefully I'm not in the process of buying a secret dumpster fire :shepface:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

RoyalScion posted:

Oh, the seller accepted my counter-offer. Hopefully I'm not in the process of buying a secret dumpster fire ::

High five, accepted counter offer buddy. Have fun figuring out lenders :shepface:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

RoyalScion posted:

Oh, the seller accepted my counter-offer. Hopefully I'm not in the process of buying a secret dumpster fire :shepface:

Spoiler that’s every house

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Oh poo poo, looks like the appraisal is at/above our offer.

:toot:

Final appraisal (from, as we know, beautiful oracles that divine absolutely correct prices) came in at 100k over our purchase price. You love to see it!

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 7, 2021

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

:thunk:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Our buddy Lance here is not doing well at the math.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

After the initial call with the realtor she ghosted us for four days and then emailed us back just now saying she was going to show us homes for only 4 hours even though we're flying cross country to see homes with her and gave her a list of seven homes we want to tour plus the ones she wants us to look at

We haven't even packed our bags yet and this lady is already fired

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Submitted another offer... this house is exactly what we're looking for but it's clearly more competitive. 3 bedrooms, a living room, an office, and a 2nd sort of living room/sitting room. Only within budget because it's further out than what we were looking at before (but still in easy walk/bus distance). Someone submitted an offer a few days before the offer day or even the open houses ending. . . so then we had to scramble to get one in. The cycle of frantic action followed by dull waiting while I google random house poo poo and ignore work is doing wonders for my mood.

The first house we submitted an offer on that was rejected has now raised their list price 200k to the number they actually want lol.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I've got 4 hours to decide if I'm making an offer on this guy

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/...evq6YFwTLODTVhc

Anything that jumps out? Obviously the "what they don't show says a lot" so the garage is probably unusable with 10' stalls and a central support pillar, but I haven't even set foot in here yet and want to make sure I don't miss anything in my turbo tour...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Looks really nice and is probably perfect for anyone as long as they never get old or suffer from a lower extremity injury or disability.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Pay close attention to the mechanicals, asbestos, etc. Other than that they've obviously put a lot into the living space. Basement will be your sticking point.

Edit: Forced hot air with 95% efficiency should be good. Check the size of the condenser outside for the AC. Check for settling cracks in the foundation idk. Ah they included a lil energy report. AC is 14 seer which is minimal. Wall insulation is r-11 which is minimal. Not a thing you can tell them to replace but a long term goal to replace that insulation with something better. Electric water heater when gas is available is a preference choice. Check where the furnace exhaust is piped to as high efficiency gas furnaces have more stringent requirements for exhaust.

TheLawinator fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 8, 2021

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Looks good to me. I am assuming you checked the driveway and it's not too steep. My main concern would be about which of part of this house is close to your eastern neighbor. Those houses are a bit close together and I wouldn't want my bedroom there.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It has already received a $1M cash offer so I'm gonna let it go. I appreciate the posts! Good things to keep an eye out for on the next one

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Didn't realize I needed to submit a form to my credit union in order to wire and I don't have a printer at home (that has ink).

Then for whatever reason Staples email printing wasn't working today and my USB wouldn't work, so I had to print from the Staples workstation then scan and send it in.

Now I just have to hope that the CU processes the form in time to wire tomorrow to escrow, nothing scary at all about sending thousands of dollars to some random place.

It's me, I'm the stupid person.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Dunno if it will affect their service and good reviews going forward, but there may be room for caution for folks looking for refinances depending on how many people bail!

https://techcrunch.com/2021/12/07/better-coms-pr-comms-marketing-heads-submit-resignations-in-wake-of-layoffs-fiasco/

quote:

Garg’s reputation as a not very nice person goes back to last year, when Forbes revealed the contents of an email to employees from Garg: “HELLO — WAKE UP BETTER TEAM. You are TOO drat SLOW. You are a bunch of DUMB DOLPHINS and…DUMB DOLPHINS get caught in nets and eaten by sharks. SO STOP IT. STOP IT. STOP IT RIGHT NOW. YOU ARE EMBARRASSING ME.”

That same Forbes article revealed that Garg was the subject of a number of lawsuits from the likes of PIMCO and Goldman Sachs for things like “improper and even fraudulent activity at two prior business ventures, and of misappropriating “tens of millions of dollars.”

marjorie
May 4, 2014

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It has already received a $1M cash offer so I'm gonna let it go. I appreciate the posts! Good things to keep an eye out for on the next one

Ooo, I wonder if that's the seller of the place I just bought. He's trying to buy a place in the SW hills with cash, and the sooner he does so, the sooner I can get out of this limbo and move in to the new place (there's a final deadline of course, but I'm impatient and there's a bit of financial incentive in the rentback agreement for him to leave before then, so I'm still foolishly hopeful it'll be before then).

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Might be escaping the SF bay area (I've lasted a whole year!) and I'd like to end up in the Willamette Valley in Oregon, but we've got no particular town in mind; we're more interested in finding a nice house on (ideally) 5-10 acres.

What's the best way to do that sort of thing? Pick a realtor remotely (suggestions?), select some places you're interested in, fly out and spend a couple days touring around? Looks like Hadlock may be going through something similar right now so I'll be watching for updates.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

RoyalScion posted:

Didn't realize I needed to submit a form to my credit union in order to wire and I don't have a printer at home (that has ink).

Then for whatever reason Staples email printing wasn't working today and my USB wouldn't work, so I had to print from the Staples workstation then scan and send it in.

Now I just have to hope that the CU processes the form in time to wire tomorrow to escrow, nothing scary at all about sending thousands of dollars to some random place.

It's me, I'm the stupid person.

Is it far away? You can just get a physical cashier's check and physically bring it to escrow, much less scary imo than wiring and just requires a physical ~15 minute visit to the bank. Sorry if this is old news to you, it's the house buying thread and many first timers itt so I don't assume anyone knows anything.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

Might be escaping the SF bay area (I've lasted a whole year!) and I'd like to end up in the Willamette Valley in Oregon, but we've got no particular town in mind; we're more interested in finding a nice house on (ideally) 5-10 acres.

What's the best way to do that sort of thing? Pick a realtor remotely (suggestions?), select some places you're interested in, fly out and spend a couple days touring around? Looks like Hadlock may be going through something similar right now so I'll be watching for updates.

Oh poo poo I moved to the W Valley a year and a half ago (from very far away), happy to chat about my experiences, but also if you need a buyer's agent anywhere between cottage grove and albany let me know, mine was phenomenal and I know it because my mom is an REA as a later life career and says he's among the best she's ever seen.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wilmington, NC

Whats the story on termite bonds, how do those work, are we in a "red" area where that is required to close, etc, specifically for SFH

Currently in a concrete and steel building, we don't really have bugs here

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

alnilam posted:

Is it far away? You can just get a physical cashier's check and physically bring it to escrow, much less scary imo than wiring and just requires a physical ~15 minute visit to the bank. Sorry if this is old news to you, it's the house buying thread and many first timers itt so I don't assume anyone knows anything.

I tried this and the escrow folks were like "nope sorry it will take too long for the check to clear you have to wire." It would have had time if they didn't gently caress around for an entire week beforehand.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Nah I should have enough time, just was silly on my part for not checking wire requirements at my CU. The escrow company is like 600 miles away (selected by the seller) so it’s not a quick stop sadly.

That said I’m flying down for one day this weekend for an inspection.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The mortgage lender I used for my house just fired 900 people. They don't own my mortgage anymore and they were clearly a disgusting company from jump. Of course the company that does own mortgage is also disgusting. Honestly considering refinancing with a local CU. I'd likely only save .4 percent and it'd take like 3 years to break even on the costs. So dumb financially. Still tempted just to get away from the absolute worst mortgage lenders in existence.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
We're incentivized to use Rocket or Better since my wife's company has a perk that gives us a credit towards closing costs when using one of them. We're using Rocket but mostly because they responded faster. Fingers crossed they don't fire 900 people even closer to Christmas.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The mortgage lender I used for my house just fired 900 people. They don't own my mortgage anymore and they were clearly a disgusting company from jump. Of course the company that does own mortgage is also disgusting. Honestly considering refinancing with a local CU. I'd likely only save .4 percent and it'd take like 3 years to break even on the costs. So dumb financially. Still tempted just to get away from the absolute worst mortgage lenders in existence.

Even local CUs will sell mortgages to who the gently caress knows. It sucks that you can't really control this at all.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

IOwnCalculus posted:

Even local CUs will sell mortgages to who the gently caress knows. It sucks that you can't really control this at all.

True but at least they service the loan. drat that's a pathetic straw to grasp at.

BabyJebus
Jan 19, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Wilmington, NC

Whats the story on termite bonds, how do those work, are we in a "red" area where that is required to close, etc, specifically for SFH

It’s not a big deal but you should have it even if there’s no statutory requirement. Basically you pay them $$ initially to inspect and treat and then $ annually to inspect and treat. I want to say it was < $1000 initially and around $100 annually but that could be wildly inaccurate or out of date.

Sorry to hear about the realtor, I hope that’s not the one I recommended. If not and you want an intro email to mine PM me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I reached out to your person but they were at a horse thing all weekend and now we're too far down the line with two other people, but they're still in my contact list

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Hadlock posted:

Wilmington, NC

I'm in the sandhills region of NC, and we have a termite service that includes inspection, traps, monitoring, and an insurance policy against damage for ~$50/month. It's an add-on to our pesticide service. Seems legit and they have good reviews/ratings.

They don't have a Wilmington office, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

Pham Nuwen posted:

Sounds like a great plan, but I'd recommend trying to pin down exactly what it is you want and spend some time there. Have you lived in the area before? If not, rent a place for a week or two and go out and do things other than browse Zillow before you really start looking at homes. There are a bunch of great towns, but they're all different and the lifestyle couldn't be more removed from the bay area.

If you're committed to the W Valley, yeah, find an agent (alnilam's?) and work out the target location and other details. Some people are comfortable buying sight-unseen, but this to me is mind blowing. SFO to PDX is like $120 or less round trip, so you should be able to visit a few homes on a cheap, quick trip and react if a sweet spot lists.