Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Barry Foster posted:

I guess what I'm saying is I bristle at the idea of submission to another discrete entity, so to speak

found the lesson your current incarnation is here to learn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

valp
Aug 31, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

Interesting

Puts me in mind of this, although this is, I guess, giving consent? But not really, it's more like refusing to consent to being afraid or intimidated

Emotions are energy. Anger, love, hate... all these things motivate you to take some action. Feeling nothing at all is dhedonia or depression, and means you don't do anything. In the physical world this emotional energy is metaphorical. In the spiritual world this energy is literal.

When you love thing you form a positive emotional attachment to that thing. When you fear something you form a negative emotional attachment to it. All forms of attachment count as consent for further interaction because they represent spiritual connections, or bonds, between yourself and that which you love/fear, and the more strongly you feel the more energy flows through these bonds. Cut away that attachment and you set yourself free.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Wheeee posted:

I've pondered this for a fair few minutes now, I kept coming up with witty ripostes but then kept getting choked half way through. Thanks!

valp posted:

Emotions are energy. Anger, love, hate... all these things motivate you to take some action. Feeling nothing at all is dhedonia or depression, and means you don't do anything. In the physical world this emotional energy is metaphorical. In the spiritual world this energy is literal.

When you love thing you form a positive emotional attachment to that thing. When you fear something you form a negative emotional attachment to it. All forms of attachment count as consent for further interaction because they represent spiritual connections, or bonds, between yourself and that which you love/fear, and the more strongly you feel the more energy flows through these bonds. Cut away that attachment and you set yourself free.

Thanks also

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

maybe the real aitee is the consciousness awareness we developed along the way

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Fly Ricky posted:

I’ve been inside the Great Pyramid, and when I made it to the “King’s Chamber” (lol) there was a group of hippies/cult members in the corner, lotus positions, humming and chanting.

It’s a small room without cameras or guards and we honestly contemplated strangling them.

i ain’t no fuckin pyramidologist or nothin but maybe the intended purpose behind the pyramids and other great works of their society was far grander than the individual kings who were themselves only prominent actors upon their peoples’ spiritual stage

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Wheeee posted:

i ain’t no fuckin pyramidologist or nothin but maybe the intended purpose behind the pyramids and other great works of their society was far grander than the individual kings who were themselves only prominent actors upon their peoples’ spiritual stage

I’m not either, but 100% convinced that’s the case. I did a deep dive into Egyptology before my trip, and the explanations mainstream archeology gives for Giza are laughable in context of their civilization, even beyond simple technological arguments.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fly Ricky posted:

I’ve been inside the Great Pyramid, and when I made it to the “King’s Chamber” (lol) there was a group of hippies/cult members in the corner, lotus positions, humming and chanting.

It’s a small room without cameras or guards and we honestly contemplated strangling them.

Hahaha holy poo poo how did they not just get immediately booted out of the whole country

valp posted:

Solid post.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

we already know half a dozen different ways the pyramids could have been built with the technology of the time, even if we never learn precisely which it was the more interesting questions imo focus on the why

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

valp posted:

Recall a quote from somewhere related to occult stuff tl;dr you are only as strong as you let yourself be

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

turn away from anger and aggression, it is a dead end, for there is always something more cruel than you could ever make yourself

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

And yet you continue to participate in the fractal hierarchy of the eternal living knowledge of the universe, hmm interesting

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Wheeee posted:

we already know half a dozen different ways the pyramids could have been built with the technology of the time, even if we never learn precisely which it was the more interesting questions imo focus on the why

Humans like to focus on the "how" because you can usually puzzle that out with simple engineering and it ties things up in a nice neat bow without rocking the boat of a fairly long-lived social and belief structure which is currently entering the terminal stages.

Asking "why" generates too many uncomfortable loose ends in a society which relies on a very rigid interpretation of pretty much everything, and makes people think a little bit too much about the established historical narrative which supports the power structure of our civilization.

[url=https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/11/graeber-wengrow-dawn-of-everything-history-humanity/620177/[/url]

quote:

For generations, our remote ancestors have been cast as primitive and childlike--either free and equal innocents, or thuggish and warlike. Civilization, we are told, could be achieved only by sacrificing those original freedoms or, alternatively, by taming our baser instincts. David Graeber and David Wengrow show how such theories first emerged in the eighteenth century as a conservative reaction to powerful critiques of European society posed by Indigenous observers and intellectuals. Revisiting this encounter has startling implications for how we make sense of human history today, including the origins of farming, property, cities, democracy, slavery, and civilization itself.

Drawing on pathbreaking research in archaeology and anthropology, the authors show how history becomes a far more interesting place once we learn to throw off our conceptual shackles and perceive what's really there. If humans did not spend 95 percent of their evolutionary past in tiny bands of hunter-gatherers, what were they doing all that time? If agriculture, and cities, did not mean a plunge into hierarchy and domination, then what kinds of social and economic organization did they lead to? The answers are often unexpected, and suggest that the course of human history may be less set in stone, and more full of playful, hopeful possibilities, than we tend to assume.

The Dawn of Everything fundamentally transforms our understanding of the human past and offers a path toward imagining new forms of freedom, new ways of organizing society. This is a monumental book of formidable intellectual range, animated by curiosity, moral vision, and a faith in the power of direct action.

I strongly endorse reading everything David Graeber wrote during his lifetime. I'm firmly of the belief that Physics research has stagnated for the better part of thirty years because modern society has strangled creativity to death in the pursuit of trying to fit all of reality into the rigid dogma framework which supports the power structure of oligarchical consumer-capitalism.

:okpos:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Inspector Hound posted:

And yet you continue to participate in the fractal hierarchy of the eternal living knowledge of the universe, hmm interesting

if i had it all figured out i wouldn’t still be incarnating here

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Wheeee posted:

But I don't wanna learn my lesson! I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

goochtit posted:

But I don't wanna learn my lesson! I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

luckily you’re going to get to keep trying until you do!

Rime posted:

I strongly endorse reading everything David Graeber wrote during his lifetime. I'm firmly of the belief that Physics research has stagnated for the better part of thirty years because modern society has strangled creativity to death in the pursuit of trying to fit all of reality into the rigid dogma framework which supports the power structure of oligarchical consumer-capitalism.

David Graeber was a genuine treasure and is probably the number one name people in this forum need to read.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Inspector Hound posted:

:perfect:

Rime posted:

See this is good. If you start thinking about the structure of the organizations involved in bird stuff and apply this logic, you see that they don't actually need to do super secret Machiavellian poo poo for decades to suppress information. Instead it gets taken care of like every other problem, by creating an intellectual environment such that people don't want to know. D&d operates on the same principle.

It also makes me doubt that any government agency has functioning esp operators; the nature of the institution would make it impossible to cultivate the mindset needed to progress. Anyone both willing and able to give it a go would've gotten fired or fragged years ago.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Wheeee posted:

some alcoholics anonymous poo poo right here imo

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

this has to be my favourite pyramid explanation: giant hydraulic ram

https://sentinelkennels.com/Research_Article_V41.html

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

But, like, what if there is only one universal consciousness, or some poo poo? Would that work out?

I guess what I'm saying is I bristle at the idea of submission to another discrete entity, so to speak

I dunno, for myself, I prayed and feel like I got answers that made "yes" pretty easy, even though I bristle under authority generally. It's pretty worth exploring imo

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Jazerus posted:

some alcoholics anonymous poo poo right here imo

existing structures of hierarchy and authority under capitalism and historical western civilization before that are not necessarily representative of all possible relationships

I’m not saying my shitpost was truth, I’m saying your interpretation is too small

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Riot Bimbo posted:

I dunno, for myself, I prayed and feel like I got answers that made "yes" pretty easy, even though I bristle under authority generally. It's pretty worth exploring imo

Maybe I missed it in your posts, or maybe you don’t want to put it out there, but do you follow an traditional religious belief system Riot Bimbo?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Fly Ricky posted:

I’m not either, but 100% convinced that’s the case. I did a deep dive into Egyptology before my trip, and the explanations mainstream archeology gives for Giza are laughable in context of their civilization, even beyond simple technological arguments.

alright can you elaborate im ready for some Egypt truths. I know the pyramids were really built by Joseph for grain storage but what else?

this thread hasn't veered into alternative history/archeology outside the mainstream much but it seems like a decent place for it, with the caveat that it's often utter nonsense mudflood! mud-flood!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

valp
Aug 31, 2018

Spirituality is an exploration of an inner reality, if you don't figure it out yourself it's worthless because it isn't really you. It's traditional for really spiritual types to gently caress off to the wilderness, or suffer a great deal, or be very isolated in their life, because isolation is necessary to find that which is authentically you and yours, and pain gives you the willpower you need to keep these convictions when you return to regular life.

Now imagine getting a bunch of people who are all like this together, all of them strong-willed enough to have rejected conventional beliefs like "aliens aren't real", all of them with their own idiosyncratic understanding of reality that is deeply personally meaningful and reinforced by all sorts of painful experiences.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

https://mobile.twitter.com/disclosure89/status/1468413885312950277

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Wheeee posted:

if i had it all figured out i wouldn’t still be incarnating here

counterpoint: we're careening headfirst into the most content-rich point in human history so u incarnated here for the lmaos and to post

like there's been a lot of content-rich periods in history but we now live in a time with multiple simultaneous global crises + lots of internet, if I were a bored ascended being i'd definitely slum it here for a lifetime

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/eEJRySQ.gifv

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

anubis posting?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Wheeee posted:

luckily you’re going to get to keep trying until you do!
I'm asking the manager for incarnation forbearance
we need someone on the inside feeding info to the thread someone who pretends to be is just as good

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

my bony fealty posted:

anubis posting?

would they have been able to create a stone face that large/long that could actually support itself tho? like i have no idea what the shearing and tensile strength of the stones used in the sphinx are but that looks like something that would be tricky to pull off with modern concrete

maybe the sphinx was originally planned as an anubis but halfway into making the head it all fell apart and they were just like ‘welp gently caress it’ and settled on the lil shrunken head

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

valp posted:

Spirituality is an exploration of an inner reality, if you don't figure it out yourself it's worthless because it isn't really you. It's traditional for really spiritual types to gently caress off to the wilderness, or suffer a great deal, or be very isolated in their life, because isolation is necessary to find that which is authentically you and yours, and pain gives you the willpower you need to keep these convictions when you return to regular life.

Now imagine getting a bunch of people who are all like this together, all of them strong-willed enough to have rejected conventional beliefs like "aliens aren't real", all of them with their own idiosyncratic understanding of reality that is deeply personally meaningful and reinforced by all sorts of painful experiences.

the committee of my nightmares

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

maybe the head was angled down more so that when you stood in front of the paws then Anubis would be giving you the stink-eye directly (through eyes made of giant rubies). it should be easier to counter-balance the head as well at such a reduced angle.

fake edit: the shaft on the tip-top of the sphinx's head was actually originally for providing structure and support for the Anubisian ear structure

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Lol put this in the pre modern history thread too

Gravid Topiary posted:

maybe the head was angled down more so that when you stood in front of the paws then Anubis would be giving you the stink-eye directly (through eyes made of giant rubies). it should be easier to counter-balance the head as well at such a reduced angle.

fake edit: the shaft on the tip-top of the sphinx's head was actually originally for providing structure and support for the Anubisian ear structure

It's intriguing, but where did any of the pieces go and why aren't there drawings of it like that from antiquity

Inspector Hound has issued a correction as of 06:31 on Dec 8, 2021

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

There are some who believe the sphinx is much much older than currently claimed. Their main evidence is that there is clear water erosion on parts of it that would require much more time to erode that much with the sparse rainfall of the area in the past few thousand years than the claimed age of the sphinx. The egyptologists are the original NDT brain though and refuse the evidence. There is one guy that has spoken at archeological conferences before and he does a presentation with photos of the erosion up close without anything identifying it as the sphinx and he was like "would everybody agree this shows water erosion blah blah blah" and like 200 archeologists all nod in agreement then he goes to the next slide and shows that it was a close up of the sphinx and they get PISSED and he gets kicked out.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Inspector Hound posted:

It's intriguing, but where did any of the pieces go and why aren't there drawings of it like that from antiquity

i suspect the idea is that this was very very old. the timescale of egyptian civilization is immense in a way that we barely have a reference frame for. the span of time from the classical era to now is roughly 60% of the time from the earliest recognizably-ancient-egyptian dynasty to the classical era. it's not at all implausible for absolutely no record to exist of enormous buildings and monuments from that time

i'm not saying i believe it, but it's not really that crazy

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

The pyramids used to be covered in polished limestone.

Don't underestimate humanities ability to steal poo poo.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

D-Pad posted:

. There is one guy that has spoken at archeological conferences before and he does a presentation with photos of the erosion up close without anything identifying it as the sphinx and he was like "would everybody agree this shows water erosion blah blah blah" and like 200 archeologists all nod in agreement then he goes to the next slide and shows that it was a close up of the sphinx and they get PISSED and he gets kicked out.

I would watch a video of that lol

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Inspector Hound posted:

I would watch a video of that lol

same, pls link tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

the aitee disclosure isn't worth voting yea on this