Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Often there's a little more emphasis in a manga on the characters who win. It varies by author (some give more focus, some give less, some even give the winner PTSD, then kill them, but that's less common) but in general, if a minor character is high ranking in the polls, that character gets some screentime even after a long absence, and if a major character outperforms expectations, they tend to get more spotlight in the big arcs.

Some characters are even rumored to have only survived due to jump poll placement.

It's worth noting that we see a lot of the top 3 characters in this series and I don't know if Todoroki was always going to have that kind of prominence.

And boy howdy did Megumi and Takumi's relevance in Shokugeki get saved by their poll results

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ah yeah Vegeta's a big one that lived only because of his popularity.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah but the same goes for the guys too.

Including the protagonist!

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

RareAcumen posted:

Hey someone help me enjoy these things correctly; do popularity polls matter more than just curiosity's sake? I would have Burnin' as #4 personally. I'm just not sure if there's more to it than knowing widespread opinion on chracters.

I mean, Shindo Yo definitely only made a reappearance because of that one fan who spent a ton of money rigging the vote to get him into the top 10. But unless you consider Shindo Yo being lovingly cradled in Midoriya's arms after going out like a bitch to be important, there's no real consequences to the popularity polls.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Law in One Piece not only having a continued presence but also basically being an auxiliary Strawhat is due entirely to the sheer amount of fans he has.

The rest of the Supernovas are popular, it's why they got penciled in for roles in the New World despite Oda making GBS threads them all out in under a week due to a suggestion his editor made, but Law's popularity is astounding.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Law in One Piece not only having a continued presence but also basically being an auxiliary Strawhat is due entirely to the sheer amount of fans he has.

The rest of the Supernovas are popular, it's why they got penciled in for roles in the New World despite Oda making GBS threads them all out in under a week due to a suggestion his editor made, but Law's popularity is astounding.

Which does sort of make me wonder what’s going to happen once Wano’s over and with it his current role in the story.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the other characters are big enough to drown out the feeling, but law's a bit funny in that if you just listed off who he was in the story, one couldn't be blamed for thinking he was some overpowered protagonist from a lesser manga. he's got the one-of-a-kind devil fruit, is a famous surgeon, is one of the top three rookies of his generation, was born to some infamous demon clan integral to the lore of the world, is the center of a classic familiar shonen tussle, and has the badass cool guy design. in OP tho that's just kinda par for the course

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mineta is critical bi representation

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If only he could be bye representation and leave

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

hatty posted:

If only he could be bye representation and leave

whoah talk about bigotry

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

christmas boots posted:

whoah talk about bigotry

this

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
As the only person on the planet who kinda likes Monoma, him being on that poll and Gentle not being on it is nonetheless unfathomable to me.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Twice would've lived if only he polled stronger.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

He needed to double whatever he was doing before.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Twice dying is a pretty good marker for where the quality started to dip. Sad man's parade was probably the last time the series got me to say gently caress yeah out loud.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah Twice dying was one of the high marks of the comic and nothing since has really been quite as strong.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

TheHan posted:

Twice would've lived if only he polled stronger.

I had a crack theory where the Twice we saw during the war was a clone, and that the Tooru we saw was a Toga clone using that quirk.

Oh well.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah Twice dying was one of the high marks of the comic and nothing since has really been quite as strong.

Better send-off than Midnight, for sure.

I'm glad we got that scene of Bakugo apologizing, though. That was one of the moments I'd been looking forward to.

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 8, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Honestly Bakugou’s apology was better than I expected, I fully expected some gruff “maybe I was possibly wrong about some stuff I guess, possibly” thing and not a full “I’m sorry Izuku, I was being a jealous hater, you were the guy all along” thing.

Also I guess Bakugo’s turtleneck is so he gets hotter as well as being a Best Jeanist nod. I kinda figured the latter but not the former even though it makes sense.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I heard OFA has a problematic age gap boyfriend, who's that supposed to be?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

What

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Is One For All the quirk, the first holder, All Might or Deku here.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

the only person I can even fathom this being is David from the first movie and I don't think they have much of an age gap

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Do you mean All for One, and do you think his boyfriend is Shigaraki? Because while the age gap would certainly be problematic I would contend that hijacking his body and fusing it with his own consciousness is arguably worse.

At the very least it seems like, if you were just gonna mention one thing, that would be the thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i saw the conversation zep is referring to and they were talking about endeavor and hawks but zep doesnt read this comic so they thought 'evil dad' meant ofa. hope this helps everyone.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

If Endeavor started dating Hawks, him being a cradle robber would be the absolute least of the things you could accuse him of. He's still the guy that neglected and/or abused his children and wife.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Fujo here to report that Endeavor/Hawks is real and my friend

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Doc Fission posted:

Fujo here to report that Endeavor/Hawks is real and my friend

That's old hat - the current cat's meow is Dabi/Hawks

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

sounds like some freak poo poo. we appreciate hot dads here

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
I thought he was talking about gentle

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Endorph posted:

i saw the conversation zep is referring to and they were talking about endeavor and hawks but zep doesnt read this comic so they thought 'evil dad' meant ofa. hope this helps everyone.

i saw like twelve posts in here and ignored them assuming it was leaked chapter spoilers instead of zep importing discord conversations

:sigh:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Shigaraki x bOFA deez nuts

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

They could've complained about the dead pedo teacher or Mineta in general but no it's a dumb ship that doesn't exist in the series.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

That's old hat - the current cat's meow is Dabi/Hawks

Dabi/Geten ends so soon....

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
I ship the principle and mt lady

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxbWMYF6pJs&t=48s

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Endeavor’s design is so over the top bara that I can’t imagine Horikoshi didn’t make his friendship with Hawks as intentionally courting that market of fandom. Would Endeavor being gay but having a wife and children due to wanting to create a legacy better than All Might be more or less problematic than the recent trend of introducing strong women only to immediately destroy them?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Endeavor’s design is so over the top bara that I can’t imagine Horikoshi didn’t make his friendship with Hawks as intentionally courting that market of fandom. Would Endeavor being gay but having a wife and children due to wanting to create a legacy better than All Might be more or less problematic than the recent trend of introducing strong women only to immediately destroy them?

Given shippers' rampant disregard for canon, I doubt it would make a difference one way or another

I'm sure there's plenty of fanfic that has Endeavor's wife and daughters leaving him in disgrace to live with Deku/Bakugo/Other Young Nubile Man/Woman Of Their Choice

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Same, Jameson.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Vinylshadow posted:

I'm sure there's plenty of fanfic that has Endeavor's wife and daughters leaving him in disgrace to live with Deku/Bakugo/Other Young Nubile Man/Woman Of Their Choice

Izuku: I could be your father Shoto. *rolls cherry on tongue*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

dogsicle posted:

i saw like twelve posts in here and ignored them assuming it was leaked chapter spoilers instead of zep importing discord conversations

:sigh:

classic zep